PDA

View Full Version : dang, I wish i had...

Sindal
2019-05-09, 06:20 AM
Hi guys

Todays character question is
"Give me an instance when you wish you or hadn't done something as your character"

Obviously hind sight is 20/20, and sometimes we just think "Why the heck did i do that". Can ve silly. Can be grave.

Mine is acrually for my sorceror for once

To cut a long story short: "why did I listen to this obviously evil disguised succubus when she told me to wait outside"

Bugga
2019-05-09, 08:30 AM
Dm, but I'm pretty sure "Why did I keep drawing from the deck of many things" is my Gunslinger player's choice.

nickl_2000
2019-05-09, 10:28 AM
Dm, but I'm pretty sure "Why did I keep drawing from the deck of many things" is my Gunslinger player's choice.

I'm pretty sure many DMs will also say "Why did I give my players a deck of many things?"

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-09, 10:38 AM
Your DMs don't read enough. The Deck is only suitable to END a character's story. Its a permanent retirement plan.

Dang, I wish I had gotten hired by WotC.

nickl_2000
2019-05-09, 10:45 AM
Your DMs don't read enough. The Deck is only suitable to END a character's story. Its a permanent retirement plan.

Dang, I wish I had gotten hired by WotC.

Sorry, my DMs was supposed to be many DMs.... I've never seen a deck of many things and hope that I never do. I enjoy my campaigns and don't want to see them derailed.

As for me, I'm not sure i have had that many regrets in the character. Although I will say that I wish I had succeeded in that Command spell against the Adult Dragon last session. Sure it didn't make much of a difference in the fight, but I wanted to make a Dragon grovel to my character.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-09, 11:51 AM
I was playing Warlock in CoS and (we all like to drink while we play).

We found 3 vampires that were much higher level than we were - and were asleep in coffins.

We lined up, and attempted to stake them.

First 2 characters stake them right in the heart.

My turn, roll a D20 - (1). ****.

My DM looks at me, "I'd like to imediately try to stake her with the other wooden stake i am carrying before this goes terrible wrong.

DM, mercifully, allows it.

Roll a D20 - (1). Mother f....

DM - "You stab your other hand, take 1d4 damage. The vampire wakes up and shreeks. Everyone roll a con save. She turns invisible. Roll initiative."

Ugh...

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-09, 12:12 PM
...not put Shield Master on my Ancestral Guardian. Most of my party was ranged.

You'd think that was a good strategy, between the bonus to Dexterity saving throws, a Bonus Action Prone effect...but as it turns out, the AG is ONLY good if enemies don't want to attack you.

Shield Master seemed like a solid strategy...except the enemy didn't have any real reason to attack anyone other than me. Most of my allies were too far to reach, and so none of my AG features were helpful. If I knocked an enemy prone, my allies would have Disadvantage to attack it. Dexterity Saving Throws were rare, because most spells were actually lobbed at my teammates.

I should have just picked up Polearm Master or Mobile and played Hit-And-Run rather than face tank. Oh well.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-09, 01:37 PM
I was playing Warlock in CoS and (we all like to drink while we play).

We found 3 vampires that were much higher level than we were - and were asleep in coffins.

Your DM is not running CoS, they're just telling you that. There's only 1 vampire, and you know his name. The rest are spawn, and they don't turn invisible or have levels.

And what the heck was the CON save for?

Tallytrev813
2019-05-09, 02:49 PM
Your DM is not running CoS, they're just telling you that. There's only 1 vampire, and you know his name. The rest are spawn, and they don't turn invisible or have levels.

And what the heck was the CON save for?

I think he added the room in, because it was our first chance at really good loot (I got Ring of Mindshield, Our Druid got Gulthaga). It may have been a hook for the Gulthaga staff, which wound up being a really cool side story.

He was a great DM, he was very good at improvising.

And RE: The con save - it was a long time ago, it may have been a Wisdom save? But those who failed were frightened or something along those lines. The point was i rolled back to back 1's and we had to fight a Vampire that nearly TPKed us

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-09, 02:54 PM
He was a great DM, he was very good at improvising.

And RE: The con save - it was a long time ago, it may have been a Wisdom save? But those who failed were frightened or something along those lines. The point was i rolled back to back 1's and we had to fight a Vampire that nearly TPKed us

My hat's off to him, then. Clearly it was good D&D because it made a long lasting fond memory.

DarkKnightJin
2019-05-09, 03:41 PM
My Naga Paladin wishes that the party would've sicced him on the Wyrmling Red Dragon before it hopper into a planar portal and emerged a Young Red Dragon.
As a player: I wish I'd cast Bless before we went in, to let the rest know Inwas ready to get in there and give him a Danger Hug™.

Oh well, nonuse crying over spilled milk. Or 1/4th of a town being lit aflame as the newly Young Dragon flies by and testdrives the new flame breath, in this case..

Imbalance
2019-05-09, 04:26 PM
...a way to repair the really cool battle axe I picked up a while back. The +2 AC on reaction is nice five times a day, but ever since I rolled a 1 and drew a broken weapon card from the crit deck we use it's useless as a weapon and less useful than a shield. I'd happily pay to get it fixed, but we've been at sea ever since it broke.

MrStabby
2019-05-09, 04:34 PM
My first character made a pact with a Great Old One. Seven levels later he was regretting not following almost any other career path.

Zuras
2019-05-09, 05:28 PM
My cleric desperately regretted not preparing Water Walking the first time we had a nautical adventure of any kind. We ended up fighting a Hydra on a riverboat with no reliable way to burn it.

It might have been a TPK if the DM hadn’t been merciful and ruled that alchemist’s fire vials float. The barbarian ended up diving in to retrieve them after both of the vials I had missed and nobody else had any.

Drogorn
2019-05-09, 06:25 PM
...a way to repair the really cool battle axe I picked up a while back. The +2 AC on reaction is nice five times a day, but ever since I rolled a 1 and drew a broken weapon card from the crit deck we use it's useless as a weapon and less useful than a shield. I'd happily pay to get it fixed, but we've been at sea ever since it broke.

Stop using crit decks. Seriously.

Imbalance
2019-05-09, 07:42 PM

Eh, not my choice. Personally I'm neutral based on the fact that they've been just as helpful as hurtful. My champion's 19 kept a dragon grounded when I drew a spinal fracture on him, allowing the rest of the party to pile on the attacks that he otherwise would have flown away from.

I'm starting to wish I'd taking the ASI instead of Magic Initiate.

Marywn
2019-05-09, 10:41 PM
.... i had more money on my Fighter, the prices of things in the campaign im in is rather insane, but the games are fun and the people are nice so I guess it balances out.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-05-09, 11:35 PM

Speaking of, my biggest regret as a player was using a fumble table for my first game. It was almost certainly responsible for our quick TPK.

Between myself and the fighter we dealt more damage to each other than any enemies. The same Dwarven fighter also managed to break both his ankles, limiting his speed to 5ft per round for 1d4 hours.

We didn't even live for another 30 minutes after that.

Laserlight
2019-05-10, 12:58 AM
I wish I had a couple of my best players back. Are "double the pay, lower cost of living" and "my wife is there" really sufficient reasons for moving 1500+ miles away?

dragoeniex
2019-05-10, 01:41 AM
Our party captured a warlock lich- a warlich, if you will- and finished putting down his boneclaw minions. Being in the middle of a time-sensitive mission, we popped his left arm off to use as an ingredient for a friend's future weapon, then bound him up nice and tight like a lich burrito before plugging him in the bag of holding for safekeeping. He was already skeletal, so no worries about suffocation.

This may or may not have been my suggestion. Ehe...

We found out later the boneclaw minions warp back to their master a rolled number of hours after death. So the next time our barbarian reached for something from the bag... Uh-oh. Is that a tear?

On one hand, our necromancer was peeved he couldn't have figured out how those creatures worked. And we lost one of the macguffins.

On the other, we spaced a lich. He's a crabby, immortal burrito drifting among the cosmos, floating ever further away from his minions.

I wish we hadn't lost the inventory, but at least the loss came with perks.

Spore
2019-05-10, 05:45 AM
In Pathfinder admittedly but our DM gave us a necklace of fresh air. We promptly sold it of very decent gear.

Suddenly the DM attacks us with stinking clouds, tries to burn down our sleeping place and has a whole underwater segment.

I think that was the first time I regretted getting rid of an incredibly specific magic item.

ImproperJustice
2019-05-10, 08:19 AM
Why didn’t we identify that sword before we threw it into a boiling mid pit?

Fought a powerful enemy thinking they were armed with Blackrazor which we wanted to destroy.

In truth, they were wielding a Holy Avenger.
We figured this out later when an enemy armed with Blackrazor challenged us later in the same dungeon.

The dungeon held two fabled swords, one Holy and one accursed.
After some quick deductions our Paladin became very sad.

At least until we realized conjure minor elementals can summon mud mephits.

Brookshw
2019-05-10, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sure many DMs will also say "Why did I give my players a deck of many things?"

Oooohhhh....disagree! I usually throw one out every few campaigns and it's always been fun and well received, on occasion it's lead to some highly memorable moments. It's a gamble, but no one's forcing the PCs to draw.

So, how many cards are you going to draw :smalltongue:

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-10, 12:13 PM
I wish I had a couple of my best players back. Are "double the pay, lower cost of living" and "my wife is there" really sufficient reasons for moving 1500+ miles away?
Amen. I question people who have priorities like that...

On the upside, lots of free net based ways to play, an overhead camera does it for me and my group playing over 3 time zones.

FabulousFizban
2019-05-10, 04:35 PM
the deck is an artifact in my homebrew, but it is damned hard to get and the PCs are warned THIS THING IS DANGEROUS every step of the way. seriously, when you finally get it, it is sealed in an adamantine box that says DANGER! in a bunch of different languages.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-10, 04:50 PM
the deck is an artifact in my homebrew, but it is damned hard to get and the PCs are warned THIS THING IS DANGEROUS every step of the way. seriously, when you finally get it, it is sealed in an adamantine box that says DANGER! in a bunch of different languages.

Don't forget about the Arcane Lock. The inside of the box is a replica for Leomund's Secret Chest and a Scroll of level 9 False Life, with a note in the margin:

"Just in case".

TrashTrash
2019-05-10, 05:47 PM
thought more before agreeing to be the backup/alternate DM for our party full of destruction fanatics. Our Fighter promised to be as annoying as physically possible for my first session. :smalleek::smallsigh:

Edit: this came about because of a snarky comment I made in character, something about the Fates hating our guts; the DM laughed it off but recently asked me if I wanted to try my hand at being "the Fates"

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-11, 10:36 PM
...stood my ground against that Behir just a little bit longer and saved our Sorceress from being swallowed whole and dying.

Losing our group's moral center really threw off the team's social dynamics.

In my defense, I got taken from full health down to 4hp in the surprise round. Then my Banishment spell completely fizzled; it's not like I didn't try....

Danielqueue1
2019-05-15, 07:04 PM
As a DM
... read that UA more carefully before okaying it for the campaign. I now automatically deny UA and homebrew until I have plenty of time to read and theory craft it.

as a player,

... bought a bag of holding instead of that +1 weapon.
... actually believed the DM when he said we were tracking supply consumption (trip into the desert lasted a grand total of 2 days before we realized our mistake)
... not dumped int (one DM likes giving enemy casters the Int Save spells from Xanathar's)

... not run in to try and save the suicidally overconfident paladin from the DM's super beast when we were clearly supposed to flee. (I'm pretty sure we were supposed to flee before it showed up, when we found the pile of corpses larger than the former population of the nearest town...)

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-16, 12:55 PM
As a DM
... read that UA more carefully before okaying it for the campaign. I now automatically deny UA and homebrew until I have plenty of time to read and theory craft it.

Yup. UA and pinterest and all that stuff = hey, try this, it may be cool, or just wreck your game. We don't know!

I just ban it on GP, and would consider it if a player really wanted it after I had time to read it, liked it, and considered it appropriate.

Marywn
2019-05-16, 02:01 PM
OK What are crit decks and injury decks, i havent heard of them before.

nickl_2000
2019-05-16, 02:07 PM
OK What are crit decks and injury decks, i havent heard of them before.

Not advertising, just a few results as examples for the poster

https://nordgamesllc.com/product/critical-hit-deck-gm/
https://nordgamesllc.com/product/critical-hit-deck-players/

basically to make critical hits a bigger deal you can get special bonuses when you crit against someone.

An injury deck would be a lingering effect on a PC when they are knocked out, or take an enormous hit. For example, they break the hand and can't use it to hold a weapon 2 weeks have passed or someone cast regen/greater restoration on them.

Bundin
2019-05-16, 02:17 PM
...not been blinded by the sob story of a suspiciously (in hindsight) adept little girl, and had chosen to roll an insight check at least once in the 2 days we'd been dragging her along.

Gullible adventurers delivered a white dragon egg to mommy, right out of the lair of a (dead) silver dragon. The world just got a little bit more grim..white and I'm sure we'll run into them again in the future.

NaughtyTiger
2019-05-16, 02:25 PM
...not put Shield Master on my Ancestral Guardian. [snip]...but as it turns out, the AG is ONLY good if enemies don't want to attack you.

hey, thanks, i was considering Sentinel for my Ancestral Guardian.... i would have been in the same boat. can't believe i didn't see that.