PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade / Paladin (when to multiclass)

Genoin
2019-05-09, 11:06 AM
I was going to build a barbarian as a frontline for Curse of Strahd, but as the party doesn't have a lot of radiant damage and I dont want to do Zealot, I decided to go with Paladin instead. I want to multiclass Hexblade to become as Charisma SAD as possible. I am joining at level 3, and since the Hex Warrior ability is critically important, I have to at least start with one level. Here is what I have at the moment

Half Elf Paladin 2 / Hexblade 1 (Starting Paladin for proficiencies)
Stats 8, 14, 16, 8, 12, 17

My plan right now is to stay Paladin until 6 for the ASI, Extra Attack, and Saves, then go Hexblade the rest of the way.

I plan on taking Oath of Vengeance and Elven Accuracy to bump Cha to 18.

My question is, does this seem like more or less the best order to take the levels in? What could I improve or change?

nickl_2000
2019-05-09, 11:09 AM
So, as you have it now you can't multiclass into or out of Paladin. That requires at least a 13 in strength.

If your DM is allowing it, then I would actually get to 7 for paladin. The Vengeance fear effect is a pretty powerful one. I would go straight to 7 for paladin, then hexblade for the rest. yes you have a good plan for levelling.

EDIT: Sorry, confused Paladin subclasses

Hunor
2019-05-09, 11:16 AM
I don't believe Vengeance has the fear effect. Are you thinking of Conquest?

To OP, I think that sounds like a good plan for the time being. I played a Vengeance/Hexblade to level 15 in a campaign and found it to be quite satisfying, although I actually ended up going 1 Pal/1 Lock/2-5 Pal/2-3 Lock/6-12 Pal. I was playing a melee based character and found the extra (low level) slots more useful for smiting than going deep into Hexblade. That being true, had the campaign not ended, I had planned to go the rest of the way to 19 in Hexblade and then coin toss for the last level.

I would say, play it as you have planned, and then see if you want to switch to more Lock spells or not later on.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-05-09, 11:27 AM
Are you intending to use a two-handed weapon? If so, you won't get the benefit of Hex Warrior until Pact of the Blade at level 3. If you're not using a weapon with that property, of course, it doesn't matter.

Genoin
2019-05-09, 11:31 AM
As far as the multiclassing thing, we play that you only have to fulfill the requirement of the class that you are going into. It doesn't really make sense the other way. How does it make more sense that I could be a high Dex Barbarian 20 with 8 Str (capstone is beside the point) than me being a high Dex Barbarian 1 / Rogue 19 with 8 Str?

Are you intending to use a two-handed weapon? If so, you won't get the benefit of Hex Warrior until Pact of the Blade at level 3. If you're not using a weapon with that property, of course, it doesn't matter.

I was going to go Sword and Board with Dueling fighting style.

Mjolnirbear
2019-05-09, 12:10 PM
I mean, as rules go, multiclass prerequisites are minor. There's nothing wrong with getting rid of them altogether.

But if the only ones that matter are the new class requirements, then it becomes a gamey solution because order suddenly matters. And gamey solutions are avoided in 5e.

But it's neither here nor there. I'm just offering commentary, not telling you you're having badwrongfun. Enjoy your game ;)

Mork
2019-05-10, 03:25 AM
Seems like a good way to go. Especially if you have easy ways to get advantage (melee buddies for flanking), half-elf accuracy will be really good (add on that the hexblade curse and you have an insane change to crit).
If it is harder to get advantage you might consider taking a second level warlock at level 4. Prolonging the gains from HEA will be less painfull and you do get 2 invocations. taking agonizing blast will make you very effective at range as well. As well as possibly taking the ability to see in absolute darkness, and being a half-drow (no +1 skill for drow magic, which is darkness 1/Long rest at lvl 5).

After 6 levels of palladin and 4 levels of warlock (which is probably a long way off), you might consider sorcerer (favored soul?), after 3 levels of that you can quicken 3 eldricht blasts, close the distance, and then hit your opponent twice with possible smites.

torrmh
2019-05-10, 05:48 AM
I was going to build a barbarian as a frontline for Curse of Strahd, but as the party doesn't have a lot of radiant damage and I dont want to do Zealot, I decided to go with Paladin instead. I want to multiclass Hexblade to become as Charisma SAD as possible. I am joining at level 3, and since the Hex Warrior ability is critically important, I have to at least start with one level. Here is what I have at the moment

Half Elf Paladin 2 / Hexblade 1 (Starting Paladin for proficiencies)
Stats 8, 14, 16, 8, 12, 17

My plan right now is to stay Paladin until 6 for the ASI, Extra Attack, and Saves, then go Hexblade the rest of the way.

I plan on taking Oath of Vengeance and Elven Accuracy to bump Cha to 18.

My question is, does this seem like more or less the best order to take the levels in? What could I improve or change?

It's been mentioned already above, you need at least 13 STR AND 13 CHA to multiclass in or out of Paladin. I agree with starting Paladin for heavy armor prof. Your stats should probably be something like 15, 10, 14, 8, 12, 17 if you intend to use full plate. If you go with half-plate instead it could be something like 13, 14, 14, 8, 9, 17.

Paladin 1 - > Hexblade 1 -> Paladin up to level 6, and from there you can choose to go to Paladin 11 (Improved Divine Smite), Paladin 12 (ASI), Paladin 13 (lvl 4 Paladin spells) or just go Hexblade for the remainder.

If you're going for sword and board (or spear with PAM), you should take Warcaster at lvl 8 and then max out CHA as soon as possible. If you're going for a two-handed weapon you could take RES (CON) instead.