PDA

View Full Version : What level would be appropriate for a non-combat Trap the Soul?

Conradine
2019-05-09, 12:13 PM
I had a conversation on this form and the matter popped up, that the spell Imprison the Soul ( Vile Darkness ) is controversial.

Well, indeed it seems a bit too strong: it lacks the costly material component and is level 7.

So, let's say we create a custom spell similar to Trap the Soul but with these limitations:

- cannot be cast in combat, long ceremony casting time ( several hours )
- requires costly and specific focus ( an apposite sanctuary with a complexly engraved stone altar )
- costly, but renevable, material component ( rare oils and incenses )
- can be cast only in few specific days ( solstices or equinoxes )
- target must be willing or completely helpless ( chained and drugged )
- must be cast in Unhallowed area

What level would be appropriate for that spell?

Septimus
2019-05-09, 12:21 PM
Pathfinder has such a solution (https://aonprd.com/OccultRituals.aspx?ItemName=Soul%20Trap). Occult rituals have a spell level, but you can cast it by level 1, even if you're not a spellcaster by the way, it is just way too hard to succeed the 9 rolls DC 31

ExLibrisMortis
2019-05-09, 12:40 PM
Probably a 5th, I'd say. Not because the spell couldn't be lower, but because I don't want random 5th-level wizards with soul binding magic. If it were, say, an ECL 10 class feature that lets you upgrade a 3rd-level spell to have additional effects, then sure, go for a 3rd.

Conradine
2019-05-09, 01:40 PM
Thanks people :)