PDA

View Full Version : Player Help So how do I handle this fellow PC doing ____.

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-09, 12:46 PM
So in my current irl game I play at a college. we have a character (fighter ek lawful evil), who has the goal of making his cursed scythe be strong enough to eat souls. He has threatened to kill every npc and pc but because our dm had a stronger npc beat him back into his place he has calmed down on the npc murder front.
However He killed a PC in their home by cutting their head off. (The PC in question had been feuding with him as a necromancer.) He has threatened my PC (cg aasimar protector life cleric me), he is saying the same excuse of it's what my character would do. So should I retaliate or just let him die I have been healing him.
Side note story reasons two clerics and two weirdos are tasked by divinity to save a princess who is keeping the peace but she is constantly in another castle.

ugai fighter rock gnome ek mass murderer
Blaze tabaxi necromancer wizard
Angela Ziegler (mercy)(heros never die) life cleric
Pip halfling Lightfoot cleric of knowledge

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-09, 12:53 PM
"What my character should do" is a valid excuse, as long as it's making the game better, not worse. In this case, it's not, so...do whatever stops the problem the fastest.

You could talk to the DM. You could talk to the party. You could talk to the problem player. You could kill the problem character. You could kill the problem player. You have options.

I think the best thing to do is to talk to the cleric about the problems this guy is posing, away from the character but in front of the player. For him to fix the problem, he needs to know it's a problem. From there, the problem can either fix itself (with him changing his behavior), or you turn his own actions against him.

Kill him, and say "it's what our characters should do". Do what other betrayers do, and wait for an opportune moment of weakness. Let him die in combat, and flee.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of betraying people in DnD, but....well, exceptions have to be made for exceptional circumstances.

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-09, 12:58 PM
Well, the problem with revenge is rerolled characters :/
It's really tough, having to teach a grown man about team spirit, empathy, how one's actions affect those around us, and all those other things we learned in first grade. But better late than never right :)

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-09, 01:02 PM
Well he keeps threatening me the life cleric so I kinda feel less obligated to care. But I'm making very litteral healing is important Hippocratic oath I have a medicine kit I use once I'm put of slots I buy healing potions for NPCs kinda super doctor. And he just wants to kill me.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-09, 01:04 PM
Well he keeps threatening me the life cleric so I kinda feel less obligated to care. But I'm making very litteral healing is important Hippocratic oath I have a medicine kit I use once I'm put of slots I buy healing potions for NPCs kinda super doctor. And he just wants to kill me.

Some people are simply cruel. Perhaps this can be an interesting change in character development. Maybe your character realizes your oath is harming others, and you decide, for a small moment, to change for the better.

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-09, 01:07 PM
Some people are simply cruel. Perhaps this can be an interesting change in character development. Maybe your character realizes your oath is harming others, and you decide, for a small moment, to change for the better.

You might be right he may not be worth saving. He also broke fantasy troupe rule number three. Don't f with your white mage.

Hail Tempus
2019-05-09, 01:07 PM
This is a conversation that should've been had before the game started. Players need to know whether PvP will be allowed in a campaign (the default answer should be "no". The game isn't balanced around PvP fighting. Allowing PvP typically just lets immature donkey holes ruin the game for other people).

The in-game answer is: "So, you want to threaten a Cleric in your party? Okay. Until you change your ways, apologize, and repent, you're never going to see a healing, restoration, buffing or revivifying spell from me again. Good luck!"

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-09, 01:09 PM
If anything I should get some kind of boon for dealing with this guy and still following up on my oath of healing.

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-09, 01:15 PM
Wait, this is an NPC, not a player?

Guy Lombard-O
2019-05-09, 01:19 PM

So, he's already killed one PC and is repeatedly threatening yours. But your super-healer isn't the murdering kind.

Can we ask what the new PC of the player who ran the murdered necromancer is like? Seems to me like that player might well be open to the idea of ending this loose cannon who's such a problem. If you maybe had your cleric ask that other player's new PC about how he felt about these repeated threats upon your PC's life, sort of seek out some reassurances that he'd prevent the evil PC from murdering you and hinted that you'd appreciate any sort of help he might provide in dealing with the imminent threat?

And yes, be willing to help the new replacement PC if/when the inevitable PvP conflict breaks out, if only with buffs/heals. Seems like the right PC should prevail.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-09, 01:49 PM
It's your DMs fault.

If you want to be a DM, you need to set ground rules. One of mine is no PVP, period. Another is you must build a character that can work well with others, and whose goals are not mutually exclusive of others.

This player is a jerk. A DM that lets a player threaten or bully other characters is not in control of the game.

Unless of course that's the game everyone wants to play. I personally don't want to DM it.

darknite
2019-05-09, 01:53 PM
The only PvP situation I ever had in D&D happened in college for similar reasons. Eventually I got tired of the threats and drew down on the evil player. Even though they had three levels on my thief I got some good strikes in and killed them. Then quit the campaign. It had completely soured the game for me and I haven't stood for that kind of bullying in a game I'm in or running ever since.

Sigreid
2019-05-09, 01:56 PM
It's your DMs fault.

If you want to be a DM, you need to set ground rules. One of mine is no PVP, period. Another is you must build a character that can work well with others, and whose goals are not mutually exclusive of others.

This player is a jerk. A DM that lets a player threaten or bully other characters is not in control of the game.

Unless of course that's the game everyone wants to play. I personally don't want to DM it.

Eh, I'd let my players characters kill each other but we've all been adults for a while and nobody does.

Raxxius
2019-05-09, 02:09 PM
Kill him.

Good isn't weak or stupid, you're out fighting threats to your existence, he's one.

The player has already crossed the threshold, so he can't in good conscience call foul play.

Wait till just after a particularly nasty combat where he's nearly dead, and unload your most powerful attacks.

Also, murder is unlawful, he's out of character.

Malbrack
2019-05-09, 02:21 PM
I recommend against killing the character. What then? Now he is upset. Does he create a new character? What makes you think that next character will be better for the group?

This needs to be talked about out of game. It sounds like he wants a confrontational PvP campaign. You don't. Do the other players want that? Does the DM want that? This is something you all need to work out.

Sigreid
2019-05-09, 02:28 PM
Why on earth is the rest of that party letting him adventure with them? Have an in character discussion with the goal of sending his character away.

Raxxius
2019-05-09, 02:40 PM
I recommend against killing the character. What then? Now he is upset. Does he create a new character? What makes you think that next character will be better for the group?

This needs to be talked about out of game. It sounds like he wants a confrontational PvP campaign. You don't. Do the other players want that? Does the DM want that? This is something you all need to work out.

Out of game, maybe, but what about the players of the characters he kills?

In character, why would a good character allow an impulsive murderous evil tyrant who's attempting to create a soul devouring weapon?

Smite his ass

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-09, 02:48 PM
Well, I mean, 1/4 of the team is already dead. 2/4 can just...leave.

It's an option to just straight up end the campaign. They're easy enough to start back up. Or hell, have the two clerics leave and do their own quest, starting a new campaign with the same two characters and leaving behind the Fighter and taking along the necromancer's new character.

If you don't want to kill him, leave him.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-09, 02:50 PM
You are a Cleric of Life, Oathsworn to provide aid to anyone who needs it, and with how much you have put up with already, its clear you don't wanna become a murderer.

However, having this guy on the loose is too big a risk, he has lost his right to freedom of choice, Suggestion/Charm Monster, during that spell (or in his sleep), you will cast Geas on him, Geas means he cannot attack you in any way. Afterwards, you will explain him the error of his ways, he will have to learn to behave if he ever wants be released from Geas, since you are gonna be recasting it, every 2 weeks or so.

EDIT: Just noticed Cleric cant cast Suggestion or Charm Monster, you will have to cast Geas on him while he sleeps.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-09, 02:52 PM
Out of game, maybe, but what about the players of the characters he kills?

In character, why would a good character allow an impulsive murderous evil tyrant who's attempting to create a soul devouring weapon?

That has me thinking. WHY does his character want that? What kind of sick past did this Gnome have?

And where did the player get the idea that a custom sickle thingy that ate souls was a thing you could get/find in D&D? Has to be disappointing and perhaps frustrating for the player to find their dream shattered.

Just another antisocial edge lord, or somebody who didn't really understand what our game is about?

Guy Lombard-O
2019-05-09, 03:01 PM
You are a Cleric of Life, Oathsworn to provide aid to anyone who needs it, and with how much you have put up with already, its clear you don't wanna become a murderer.

However, having this guy on the loose is too big a risk, he has lost his right to freedom of choice, Suggestion/Charm Monster, during that spell (or in his sleep), you will cast Geas on him, Geas means he cannot attack you in any way. Afterwards, you will explain him the error of his ways, he will have to learn to behave if he ever wants be released from Geas, since you are gonna be recasting it, every 2 weeks or so.

I see where you're coming from, and I get what you're saying. What you suggest might work.

But I doubt it. It sounds to me like this evil character (in a game where PvP is pretty clearly allowed) might be on a character arc where he's actually intended to become a nemesis for the party. He's certainly built like it, has the evil goal, and is acting in such a way that he should absolutely be viewed as a threat. The fact that this campaign is continuing even after a PvP-inflicted PC death makes it clear to me that the DM is in on the plan. I mean, seriously, DM allowed this murderous ass-hat into the same campaign/party with a life cleric who's too good to even defend herself in the face of intra-party murder and continuing death threats?

I would absolutely develop a plan to ensure this PCs destruction, if I were seeing this as a player of one of that party's PCs. Both from a player's personal preference/self-defense perspective, and from the PC's own crusade to improve the world and protect it from evil, ending this PC makes sense.

Advice to OP - don't let on to the evil PC that you're taking action against him. Ending the heals to that PC (or even threatening to do so) might well inspire him to make good on his threats to kill your cleric, since you've just ended your usefulness to him. So don't let him see you coming. Get a plan in place with the other party members, wait for that evil PC to be grievously wounded or in mortal danger, and finish him off.

It's the only way to be sure...

The Kool
2019-05-09, 03:12 PM
Alright, staying in character, you have options. Think if you were a doctor and your life was being threatened. What would you do? Call the cops? Hire a bodyguard? Convince your friends to help protect you? How would these translate into the game? Perhaps you convince the rest of the party to help you keep watch and not ever be alone with him. Perhaps after you tell them, they'll 'take care of' the problem for you. Perhaps you tell the local guards, and they arrest him and try him for murder... You already mentioned he's killed one person.

It's worth asking though, would you continue to allow yourself to be near someone who repeatedly threatens your life? Ending your association with the character is more than reasonable, it's actually very sensible. This may have to be a flat OOC conversation with the DM. "Look... My character has no reason to hang around this character, and quite a few very good ones not to. I can no longer make excuses for my character, he isn't going to adventure with that guy anymore unless he changes his ways right now." That might make the problem player wake up and shape up... or it might end the campaign. Or it might get him kicked out, really depends on how the DM wants to handle it.

All of these serve to protect your character, address the issue, and retain your oath. Hopefully it helps.

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-09, 03:20 PM
Actually I had planned a solution we are level eleven I intend to use harm. And than inflict wounds till he drops dead. The fighter has actually never wanted my heals I was still giving them. So two clerics gang up on a murderer And use divine smite.

Sigreid
2019-05-09, 03:25 PM
You could try a divine intervention to have his weapons and armor rot at his touch. :smallbiggrin:

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-09, 03:26 PM
Could my God divine intervention yeet his ass into a nearby sun.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-09, 03:28 PM
You could try a divine intervention to have his weapons and armor rot at his touch. :smallbiggrin:

Or make it so that if he ever attacks a creature before being attacked by them, his attacks against that creature are treated as though that creature has Sanctuary. The Fighter makes Saving Throws against this Sanctuary effect with Disadvantage. Only the Fighter can be affected by this Sanctuary effect this way.

Not crippling, just....pacifying.

No brains
2019-05-09, 03:33 PM
Can you cast Remove Curse on his stupid scythe and turn it back into a farm tool?

If the DM isn't stopping the PVP and the player is taking actions based on character priorities, attack their priorities. Delet the edgelord stick and the character will be forced to play nice(er). It's even within the bounds of you 'Hippocratic oath' to remove the curse afflicting this person and it isn't a violation to mercilessly destroy a stupid, stupid inanimate object.

Apologies for the harsh language, but I hate hate hate scythes as weapons, especially when they are blank checks for encouraging bad behavior.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-09, 03:35 PM
Can you cast Remove Curse on his stupid scythe and turn it back into a farm tool?

If the DM isn't stopping the PVP and the player is taking actions based on character priorities, attack their priorities. Delet the edgelord stick and the character will be forced to play nice(er). It's even within the bounds of you 'Hippocratic oath' to remove the curse afflicting this person and it isn't a violation to mercilessly destroy a stupid, stupid inanimate object.

Apologies for the harsh language, but I hate hate hate scythes as weapons, especially when they are blank checks for encouraging bad behavior.

Technically, all magical items are vulnerable to being destroyed. Magical items just happen to have resistance to damage, but only artifacts are actually indestructible (except by some major Lord-of-the-Rings-style requirement).

A Wand, for example (a magical stick) would just be a stick with resistance to all damage.

Sigreid
2019-05-09, 03:45 PM
Technically, all magical items are vulnerable to being destroyed. Magical items just happen to have resistance to damage, but only artifacts are actually indestructible (except by some major Lord-of-the-Rings-style requirement).

A Wand, for example (a magical stick) would just be a stick with resistance to all damage.

I believe they've moved to artifacts eventually reappearing somewhere in the multiverse if they are destroyed by those extraordinary means.

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-09, 03:47 PM
She already said all this was fine I might do that.

Fnissalot
2019-05-09, 03:48 PM
Killing someone who kills others is just a way to prevent the need for some healing. Also read the tenets of oath of redemption, as it has a lot of good thoughts on playing something that is almost a pacifist.

Mellack
2019-05-09, 04:51 PM
I am of the opinion that adventurers shouldn't go into dangerous situations of life and death (their job description) with people they do not trust. Leave the character or refuse to leave with them. Demand that any other characters you do adventure with be trustworthy.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-09, 04:57 PM
I am of the opinion that adventurers shouldn't go into dangerous situations of life and death (their job description) with people they do not trust. Leave the character or refuse to leave with them. Demand that any other characters you do adventure with be trustworthy.

Consider that if you are the only on in the party with such demands, YOU may end up being the one left out of the party...

MagneticKitty
2019-05-09, 05:03 PM
Talk to your dm. Ask if your character's god would allow you to heal a known evil character over and over. If the answer is no, spend a few turns trying but your powers don't seem to work on them. Mysterious. OooooooOooo

Ideally this would have been mitigated session zero, and it really is the dm's fault players are terrorizing other players and are allowed to keep doing so. Either or both of these rules set up in the first place would have prevented this.
A. evil alignments shouldn't be allowed and if a character becomes evil they are now an npc.
B. Players should both agree to PvP out of character before it begins

Would have avoided the heartache.

Now though, the dm can chose to fix it.. Or the players can say they've had enough of being threatened and deal with it in session. Most groups would not allow such a violent (to the group) person to travel with them

Yunru
2019-05-09, 05:09 PM
So how is a Lawful Evil character justifying these actions according to the law of the land?

Rukelnikov
2019-05-09, 05:15 PM
So how is a Lawful Evil character justifying these actions according to the law of the land?

Lawful has nothing to do with local laws

Raxxius
2019-05-09, 05:17 PM

As described he's chaotic evil.

I know characters aren't straight jacketed by class but bullying and only respecting strength, ignoring the law of the land for personal whim. Murder.

It's CE

Ghost Nappa
2019-05-09, 05:52 PM

This sounds familiar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTEtzsOtDw).

Have you considered just not healing him?

Rukelnikov
2019-05-09, 06:03 PM
This sounds familiar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTEtzsOtDw).

Have you considered just not healing him?

Nappa should know

Fat Rooster
2019-05-09, 06:15 PM
There are times when 'rocks fall, that guy dies' is appropriate. This looks like one. If the problem is the character, then the character has 3 choices. change, die, or exile. As a party you can present it that way. This is not necessarily a player problem, though a good player would have avoided it.

Mikal
2019-05-09, 06:15 PM
Just kill the punk. You’re a cleric of life- he’s murdering people and feeding their souls into an artifact of evil.

He’s already murdered before for it. Get the local law involved. Beat him down and if he survives let the local nobility hang him as an example to others.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-09, 07:07 PM
To all those saying he should be killed. IMO stripping him of his free will is a much better way of showing him the error of his ways without stepping down to his level, otherwise the lesson is "make a stronger character next time so we can't kill you" when the Geas at least allows for the possibility of some time in the future the character having a real change of heart.

Mikal
2019-05-09, 08:24 PM
To all those saying he should be killed. IMO stripping him of his free will is a much better way of showing him the error of his ways without stepping down to his level, otherwise the lesson is "make a stronger character next time so we can't kill you" when the Geas at least allows for the possibility of some time in the future the character having a real change of heart.

Nah. This type of player doesn’t learn. Take the character out or just leave the group.

FabulousFizban
2019-05-10, 04:39 PM
with grace and wit

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-10, 05:34 PM
Well I uh don't know what to say but I do have the option for self defense. I will wait and **** this bitch up

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-10, 05:39 PM
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone actually talked to the player and the DM? Like you've sat down, said, "I don't like this behavior, please stop," and they've kept doing it? Because if so, you definitely need to find another group or a DM with some friggin cojones.

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-10, 05:40 PM
Also, please let us know what happens. Interested now.

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-10, 06:28 PM
The story of how this bastards about to learn what the **** is going on.

GreyBlack
2019-05-13, 07:01 PM
So in my current irl game I play at a college. we have a character (fighter ek lawful evil), who has the goal of making his cursed scythe be strong enough to eat souls. He has threatened to kill every npc and pc but because our dm had a stronger npc beat him back into his place he has calmed down on the npc murder front.
However He killed a PC in their home by cutting their head off. (The PC in question had been feuding with him as a necromancer.) He has threatened my PC (cg aasimar protector life cleric me), he is saying the same excuse of it's what my character would do. So should I retaliate or just let him die I have been healing him.
Side note story reasons two clerics and two weirdos are tasked by divinity to save a princess who is keeping the peace but she is constantly in another castle.

Here's a question.

There's a guy at work who is threatening to fire you and all of your coworkers first chance he gets because he wants a promotion. You find out that he faked something in order to get a coworker fired. Do you:

1) do nothing?
2) report him to your superiors so something can be done about his bullying?
3) stop feeding him information at work so that he can't do his job and hope he gets fired?

"It's what my character would do" is not an excuse for bullying there rest of the party and causing people to have less fun. Talk to him about his behaviour, talk to your DM about these problems, and if the problem isn't resolved, leave the party, citing this party member's behaviour.

GreyBlack
2019-05-13, 07:11 PM
Lawful has nothing to do with local laws

Lawful has nothing do to with local laws. Correct. Lawful _does_ believe that laws and society are the best way to organize. Evil means they believe in being able to manipulate those laws to their own ends, but they still believe that society should exist.

This character, it appears, wants the whole annihilation of society if it fuels their own ends, which is Chaotic.

Lupine
2019-05-13, 09:18 PM
I personally think that the Geas solution is probably the best. That is a very clever way to force the character to either reveal he's not acting in character, or change the way he plays.

I would watch out for if the player seems angry for a session or two after you do this. if he does, then the red flag of war has just been hoisted. The character will find a way out of it, such as jumping into your attacks to get around the Geas just so that he can kill you. if this happens, nothing in-game will help you. You will either have to leave or take it out of game.

If the player is angry as mentioned above, tell him your character releases the geas, and commits suicide. Then leave.

If you're lucky, the player will ask for you to not do that, but from your description, this probably won't happen.

Lunali
2019-05-13, 09:39 PM
A few likely problems with using Geas:
1. It's a 5th level spell, even if the characters are high enough to cast it, it's still likely to be a significant resource for the day. Also, he has advantage on the save, so he might actually succeed, wasting it to no effect.
2. Has to be recast every 30 days unless you're casting it from a 7-9th level slot, and the recast will most likely be with the target aware of it.
3. Remove curse will remove a Geas, this can happen if you need to remove a curse from him for some other reason or because he went to a temple to get it removed.
4. If you're high enough to cast Geas, 5d10 is survivable and can only trigger once a day. He can trigger it then do as he likes for the rest of the day, including short resting the damage away then attacking you.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-14, 11:40 AM
A few likely problems with using Geas:
1. It's a 5th level spell, even if the characters are high enough to cast it, it's still likely to be a significant resource for the day. Also, he has advantage on the save, so he might actually succeed, wasting it to no effect.
2. Has to be recast every 30 days unless you're casting it from a 7-9th level slot, and the recast will most likely be with the target aware of it.
3. Remove curse will remove a Geas, this can happen if you need to remove a curse from him for some other reason or because he went to a temple to get it removed.
4. If you're high enough to cast Geas, 5d10 is survivable and can only trigger once a day. He can trigger it then do as he likes for the rest of the day, including short resting the damage away then attacking you.

1 - Yeah, the gnome can make his save, its a roll though. The resource drain is minimal compared to the threat of a party memeber attacking you at any moment.
2 - The recast shouldn't be a problem, unless the character leaves the party for 30 days, which in a lot of tables means, left the party.
3 - Yeah... you are not removing a curse from him, his fault. The temple thing is possible though, as is possible that someone casts dispel magic on him at some point, stuff happens.
4 - The 5d10 is laughable, but Geas puts him under the charmed condition, which means he can't willingly attack the caster of the spell. 5e geas is bad at enforcing someone to pursue a goal, but good at making someone your female puppy, since they can't fight back, no matter what you do.

LordEntrails
2019-05-14, 11:54 AM
The group needs to talk about this OOC. Unless this is intentional, the DM screwed up on day one. Mixing Good and Evil characters is a recipe for disaster unless the players are all mature and are willing to make things work somehow from day one. Same with PvP.

As a group you all need to figure out what type of game you all want to play. I suspect not all of you will be sticking with the game.

Pex
2019-05-14, 12:00 PM
This is why no one should be playing evil until such time you have the maturity to play it. This is why player vs player ruins games.

The question is is the DM fully aware of the consequences of evil PCs and player vs player letting it happen anyway or is the DM not experienced enough to say no to a player when what he wants to do ruins games? If the former all is lost. You cannot win against a jerk player and a DM who enables him. If the latter talk to the DM to have him fix this. If the jerk player refuses to change and quits, win-win.

Nagog
2019-05-14, 06:51 PM
If they have already killed one player character, the player of the murdered character may want revenge. If they act on those desires, buff them and heal them, as is your calling. If not, "accidentally" buff and heal an enemy that is actively seeking the death of this hobag. If he refuses to play with a team, he won't have one. That's just how it is. Also, if you do decide to buff the enemy route, make sure it is either a boss enemy or an enemy that can be reasoned with afterwards, so that once the dead- I mean deed, is done, then you can get away without leading to a TPK. On top of that, I'd make sure your fellow players are also fed up with this dude so you aren't immediately killed by his mad testosterone fueled edgy stupidity.

TrashTrash
2019-05-14, 09:41 PM
Like the others above have said, talk to the DM and the player OOC. Using the excuse of "it's what my character would do" is never a good enough reason to kill off another PC on purpose.

It seems to me that this dude is trying to compensate for something. Maybe he doesn't feel included enough, maybe he's going through something, but lashing out and being a murderhobo isn't a healthy way of dealing with anything.

If he's still being a jerk after a discussion with your DM, refuse to heal him, refuse to go with him, steal/destroy the thing when he's asleep, or maybe just find a new group to play with. There are plenty of games looking for healers, and nothing is forcing you to put up with this other PC or the player running them.

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-15, 03:55 PM
As it's being played at a college here is what we know player to player.he always planned on this,we weren't informed by the dm,my gf, we didn't have a session zero.and he has threatened all but the knowledge cleric who is just pointing his murder leash towards bandits.

Finback
2019-05-15, 11:46 PM
To use a comparison, it's the 0th Law of Robotics.

You know how there's the three laws, and the 1st is "do not allow a human to come to harm"?

The 0th Law is seen as a true test of AI - where a robot can realise that it may be necessary to cause harm to ONE human, to prevent harm to MORE humans.

Rule 0 him.

Sigreid
2019-05-16, 08:51 AM
A tube sock full of wood screws aught to do the trick.

Lord of Shadows
2019-05-16, 09:27 AM
This sounds like one of those oddball DM "experiments" where some goal is created and then some impossible-to-believe collection of misfits is assembled to try and accomplish said goal ("melting pot campaign"). Sometimes it's just the DM... maybe they got bored with the normal set-up and wanted to see "what would happen if..." Or sometimes one or more players are "in" on the deal. But, it can go bad in a hurry if everyone isn't OK with it. And it sounds from the OP like this wasn't part of the campaign opening.

So, the only difference between ally and enemy is which end of the sword you are on. And a character as disruptive as this one is making it hard to keep seeing them as an ally. In character, accuse the Grim-Reaper-Wannabe of colluding with the enemy - since he is impeding the path to the goal - and let the chips fall where they may. And if the player says, "It's what my character would do," tell them to find another character.

Just my 2 cents..

blackjack50
2019-05-16, 09:40 AM
This goes back to the whole...evil characters should have good reasons to not attack their group. My character is currently evil due to an incident that switched my alignment (other players haven’t picked up on it yet). I don’t attack them because they are my protection. My character self centered and greedy now.

Sounds like the best story option is to simply not revive his pain in the ass. Lol

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-16, 11:19 AM
My current evil character in a good party is a charlatan background faux noble who is using their goodness to his own ends.
Killing my comrades is counterproductive.

The OP's dude is killing the buzz.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-16, 12:00 PM
My current evil character in a good party is a charlatan background faux noble who is using their goodness to his own ends.
Killing my comrades is counterproductive.

The OP's dude is killing the buzz.

Indeed. I could play a chaotic evil bastard who is the party's best friend. It wouldn't even be hard. It's also the kind of thing I would hash out in a Session 0 with the party.

This sounds like a problem player who made a problem character.

Ganryu
2019-05-16, 01:19 PM
There is a law for all evil characters. DO NOT MESS WITH THE PARTY!

They are your spectators to greatness, the witnesses to your attrocities, the pawns for your power. Seriously, any evil character who harms the party is a bad character who shouldn't have joined in the first place.

I've done all shades of evil, and my group loves it. I do the things the party wouldn't be willing to do, and help them towards their own ends. I'm often the first to hand my friends/pets/servants potions, or try and protect them. This applies to Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil both.

I agree with everyone else who says just kill the bastard. He's not a good character, killing someone as the cleric is super easy, you're saving lives, and you have the most to gain. I do want to know what the relationship was with the necromancer. Was your cleric a friend? Are you disgusted he did so? Did he ever pay for his crime?

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-16, 02:16 PM
The story of the necromancer and the Death yandere.
They have been in a spat since session 1.5. the necromancer required aid. The necromancer thought using a charm person spell on the death wanabee was a good idea.Thus urge to kill them have been steadily growing.
The cleric is using his higher knowledge and persuasion skills to say and I quote from a session ago." I can help you find more people to kill."being the small and squishy halfling knowledge cleric.this worked out however I being the protector aasimar life cleric have decided it was easier to point the murderer at tougher foes,waiting for him to be to low on hp to fight back than just ya know leave them chained up somewhere, Or use divine intervention should he try to attack me.
Also to any who are wondering yes it's a Hodge podge melting pot game we are all talking about it out of character but I still don't like the being threatened. They left me with an illusion that I was next.

TrashTrash
2019-05-20, 01:49 PM
The dude needs an attitude check. Take him out in his sleep, break the scythe, refuse to heal him, do whatever. Make him regret his crimes.
Have you considered an axe?

FilthyLucre
2019-05-20, 01:57 PM

I'd find a new group. I pretty much ban attempts to solve intra-party conflict with violence. By extension that means characters who would solve intra-party conflict with violence because "it's what they would do" are also banned.

FilthyLucre
2019-05-20, 02:02 PM
It's your DMs fault.

^ This, exactly.

Finback
2019-05-20, 09:45 PM
alternate: kill him to dead. Then, when everyone says, "but you're a cleric!" -

"I wouldn't worship a god who wouldn't protect me". Then just say another god spoke to you and gave you their blessing, and tell the DM you want to change domains.

Olfgar
2019-05-21, 02:02 PM

Healing him causes more harm than good. Letting him die is going to cause more good than harm.

You could even just kill him the next time he threatens your life because no one, not even a goodie two shoes, is going to realistically just sit there an accept that, especially when hes proven to murder people. What's the difference between this guy aside from any bandit, goblin, orc, or what ever else you guys have fought and killed simply because you were asked to or because they attacked you first (what this PC has done) aside from the fact your character knows his name. Answer? Nothing.

Your "Hippocratic oath" doesn't mean **** to the bandits your stabbing it hitting with sacred flame, so why does it suddenly matter with this guy?

Talk to him and/or your DM before the next game and get him to get his **** in order. If the DM doesn't side with you on this topic, be a little concerned. Then the next time he gets low health from being the dumbass that he is, don't heal him, or kill him when he threatens you're life again... Or beat him within an inch of his, and remember to use his own justification if "it's what your character would go". If the DM is on his side even then, I'm sorry but you may need to find it make a new group to play with.

You can even use it as a role play point for your own character development of being forced to break your healing oath against someone you (for some reason) Swore to heal.

But seriously though, you must have a pretty lax oath if you dont go around healing the things your party is fighting.

Sariel Vailo
2019-05-22, 10:51 AM
Healing him causes more harm than good. Letting him die is going to cause more good than harm.

You could even just kill him the next time he threatens your life because no one, not even a goodie two shoes, is going to realistically just sit there an accept that, especially when hes proven to murder people. What's the difference between this guy aside from any bandit, goblin, orc, or what ever else you guys have fought and killed simply because you were asked to or because they attacked you first (what this PC has done) aside from the fact your character knows his name. Answer? Nothing.

Your "Hippocratic oath" doesn't mean **** to the bandits your stabbing it hitting with sacred flame, so why does it suddenly matter with this guy?

Talk to him and/or your DM before the next game and get him to get his **** in order. If the DM doesn't side with you on this topic, be a little concerned. Then the next time he gets low health from being the dumbass that he is, don't heal him, or kill him when he threatens you're life again... Or beat him within an inch of his, and remember to use his own justification if "it's what your character would go". If the DM is on his side even then, I'm sorry but you may need to find it make a new group to play with.

You can even use it as a role play point for your own character development of being forced to break your healing oath against someone you (for some reason) Swore to heal.

But seriously though, you must have a pretty lax oath if you dont go around healing the things your party is fighting.
Actually Everytime the enemy isn't say burned beyond recognition or ash I'll drop cure wounds on them. I'll heal them to.