PDA

View Full Version : The Soldier: Remake of the Fighter

Justdamohr
2007-10-04, 09:40 AM
I'm sure this has been done before but I saw Fighters as essentially being sophisticated Barbarians. I've never actually understood the concept of Barbarians considering such a term is really subjective. A fighter could be a barbarian if they wanted or more so, I believe Warriors from the Dungeon Master's Guide apply to this more aptly. Either way, I combined the classes, tweaking a few abilities and adding a few class abilities of my own. Tell me what you think. D.:smallbiggrin:

The Soldier

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Skirmish Focus, Advanced March, Bonus Feat

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1| Uncanny Dodge

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1| Improved Uncanny Dodge

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Nerves of Steel

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2| Combat Immunity

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3| Never Stay Down

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Battle Focus, Combat Immunity

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3| Bonus Feat, Death Can Wait

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4| Stronghold

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4| Combat Immunity

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat, Indomitable Will

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Unstrained Focus

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Combat Focus, Bonus Feat

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5| Laugh In Death’s Face

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6| Combat Immunity

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|War Focus

[/table]

Skirmish Focus:
Soldiers are trained to attune their senses in the midst of battle for the sole purpose of survival and for conquering their opposition. At 1st level, a Soldier may focus their attention to gain a +2 to Attack Bonuses, and + 4 to Damage and their Will Save while suffering a -2 to AC for rounds equal to their Con. Modifier + Wis. Modifier. After which they suffer the effects of fatigue for the remainder of the battle. This can only be performed once per encounter. A Soldier may perform this feat an amount of times per day equal to their Con. Mod. + their Wis. Mod.

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, a Soldier gains a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The fighter gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and at the following levels (4th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 16th, and 18th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats in PHB 3.5. A Soldier must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A Soldier is not limited to the list of Fighter bonus feats when choosing these feats.

Battle Movement
Soldiers are constantly on the move, either for marching or traversing regions to wage war in far distant lands. For that reason their movement speed is permanently increased by + 10 ft.

Uncanny Dodge
At 3rd level Soldiers gain the Uncanny Dodge class ability. See page 26 of the Barbarian Class in the PHB 3.5.

Improved Uncanny Dodge
At 5th level Soldiers gain the Improved Uncanny Dodge Class ability. See page 26 of the Barbarian Class in the PHB 3.5.

Nerves of Steel
At 6th level Soldiers gain a + 4 resistance to resisting Stunning and Paralyzing Attacks. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE MAGICAL ATTACKS.

Combat Immunity
At much exposure in battle to blades and magic, Soldiers gain a developed immunity to either magic or physical damage. A Soldier may only choose one of these developed immunities, as it progresses with their growth. Starting at 7th level a Soldier may choose physical immunity which grants them DR 1/ against all physical attacks or magical immunity which grants them SR 1 + Wis. Mod. + Class Level. These immunities increase as they grow stronger. See below.

7th Level: DR 1/ or SR 1 + Wis. Mod. + Class Level
10th Level: DR 2/ or SR 2 + Wis. Mod. + Class Level
13th Level: DR 3/ or SR 3 + Wis. Mod. + Class Level
16th Level: DR 4/ or SR 4 + Wis. Mod. + Class Level
19th Level: DR 5/ or SR 5 + Wis. Mod. + Class Level

Never Stay Down
Soldiers by nature never give up the fight and thus at 9th level, they may rise from a prone position as a free action without incurring attacks of opportunity.

Battle Focus
At 10th level a Soldier’s focus in battle increases; they gain a + 3 to Attack Bonuses, and a + 6 to Damage and Will Saves for rounds equal to their Con. Mod. + 3. They still suffer a -2 to AC and still are fatigued for the remainder of the encounter. They can only do this once per encounter.

Death Can Wait
At 11th level Soldiers are accustomed to being nearly killed by strikes and blows hence at 11th level they gain a + 4 to resisting Death Attacks such as ones incurred by Assassins. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MAGIC.

Stronghold
At 12th level a Soldiers nerves having suffered many ravaging battle, they gain an immunity to stunning and paralysis attacks such as ones imposed by Monks or Rogues. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MAGIC.

Indomitable Will
At 14th level a Soldier’s will in battle has become so fine tuned they gain + 4 on Will Saves to resist enchantments.

Unstrained Focus
At 15th level Soldiers no longer suffer fatigue when using their Focus ability during combat. They still however incur a -2 on AC.

Laugh in Death’s Face
At 17th level, Soldiers have nearly died a great deal of times that their body gains immunity to Death Attacks such as ones administered by Assassins. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MAGIC.

War Focus
By 20th level a Soldier’s focus has reached its peak. They gain a + 4 to Attack Bonuses, and + 8 to Damage and Will Saves. This still lasts rounds equal to 3 + Con. Modifier Rounds and they still incur a -2 to AC. This can only be done once per encounter.

Doberler
2007-10-04, 05:31 PM
I'm actually Quite Impressed though I would more than likely get rid of a few of the bonus feats... and depending on how many of those you removed, i'd say possibly allowing their immunity to stunning and paralysis to extend to magical effects

/my opinion

vivi
2007-10-04, 06:02 PM
I hope you don't mind if I use it in my campaign(its ok right?).

Justdamohr
2007-10-04, 06:09 PM
I hope you don't mind if I use it in my campaign(its ok right?).

Sure, I just hope its balanced. If you wouldn't mind, after you do a run test with the Soldier please tell me about your experience with it. I'd greatly like to know how it plays out but definitely enjoy. :smallbiggrin: And I'm glad you like it.

Justdamohr
2007-10-04, 06:15 PM
I'm actually Quite Impressed though I would more than likely get rid of a few of the bonus feats... and depending on how many of those you removed, i'd say possibly allowing their immunity to stunning and paralysis to extend to magical effects

/my opinion

You know its funny I was thinking the same thing about the bonus feats, maybe dropping them to about maybe five, four max. I was like uh........but that takes away from the fighter...maybe NOT, I mean eh. Whatever, 5 feats plus the 7 they get, that's about 12 feats to specialize in some form of fighting.

And about extending the stunning and paralysis to magic, I wanted to stray away from giving them TOO much magical ability. I mean SR is a BIG HELP, I MEAN BIIIIIIIIIIG and that's not including the +'s to Will Saves they get from their Focus abilities, max + 8 to Will Save at 20. I mean hot diggity that's a plus 15 and that's not including the + 4 to enchantments AND their Wis. Modifier. SoI think they're good with resisting magic for the most part. I would hope they are, I mean if they need anymore help then well, they're doomed like whoa. But thank you for reviewing the class. I'll drop them down to five feats that's good enough. :smallbiggrin:

Ceiling009
2007-10-05, 12:07 AM
I like that the Warrior or Soldier receives something like SR... sure, magical items aside, save or die spells are annoying. It's like rallying the martial spirit or something. I like.