PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Ranger/Fighter/Wizard Build(s)/Suggestions

Obermax
2019-05-09, 09:05 PM
Before we delve into the meat and potatoes of this thread i will start off with a little backstory to the character and the group he finds himself adventuring with..

Initially after a long wait and multiple player drops my friends and i decided to just start the game 1 dm and 2 players. Homebrew campaign / world lots of rich backstory and a full compliment of gods for a complete sandbox. As luck would have it on session 2 we gained 2 more players..

I was building a rogue and so was the other we both planned to take it to 3 then multiclass away our last 17 levels into wizard (me) and fighter (him) our progression wouldnt feel stunted since we were effectively using the same setup and we would have plenty of utility to allow us to pick and choose our battles! Our dm being the lovely creature that he is decided we would need to keep our characters the way they were - which is fine - neither of us really mind that much - the other rogues build remains unchanged - however for me.. we as a group have kind of decided we dont really need those wizard levels anymore.. leaving me with a high int sage rogue that no longer plans on casting spells - challenge accepted - joining us was a glamour bard and a trickster cleric talk about an awesome party xD - here is some info on the character (we roll stats)

Int - 16
Dex - 19
Con - 15
Wis - 13
Str - 14
Chr - 9

Backround : Sage

Tools : Disguise kit , Poisoner's tools , Thieve's Tools
Skills : Athletics , Acrobatics , Stealth , Perception , Sleight of hand , Arcana , History
Languages : common , elvish , dwarvish , celestial , infernal
Race : High Elf (picked up Green Flame Blade)
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral (whole party is CN :D)
currently Lvl 3 rogue assassin archetype

Gear : Shortbow , (finesse) longsword!! , Shortsword , 2 daggers , studded leather , with 8 smoke bombs commissioned at the local alchemist.

SO due to stat rolls the high int is not really a bad thing and i have been getting great mileage out of untrained lore rolls as well as the proficient ones.. backstory wise being a failed wizard apprentice still works but the character in my head feels a little clunky knowing what levels come next.

what ive come up with so far for the build (this campaign should easily hit lvl 12-16 if not 20 , we play weekly and the sandbox nature of the campaign lets us do as we please and while we surprisingly roleplay a fair amount we do alot of bounties and exploration as well)

Lvl 1-3 Rogue3 assassin
Lvl 4-6 Ranger3 gloomstalker (whirling blades FS OR defense FS? - I have access but otherwise ranger is the same)
Lvl 7-8 Fighter2 (archery FS)
Lvl 9 Rogue4 - take elven accuracy?
Lvl 10 Ranger4 - take alertness?
lvl 11-12 Fighter4 take +1 dex +1con , as for archetype I am very torn between EK and Arcane archer or Champion
lvl 13-14 fighter6 take resiliant wis?
lvl 15-16 fighter8 take sharpshooter?
lvl 17-18 fighter10 take lucky?
lvl 19-20 fighter12 take????

With this setup I have plenty of asi's during the back half of my levels typically the slower ones where I am dragging my feet wanting features , so the build is "online" at 6 and definitely begins to take off at 8 - everyone seems to like the idea of the burst damage and the decent to potentially rather high sustain damage within the fight also the dm will allow the use of poisons and to a realistic point gadgets allowing me to save my ranger spells for hunters marks. I feel as though the setup Is solid but I rarely if ever switch builds on the fly so I also feel like I am missing something? If I forgo lvl 4 rogue and lvl 4 ranger for 2 levels wizard (divination???) I feel that could be worth? but a 4 class build!?

looking for thoughts suggestions ideas has anyone played something like this?...? thanks in advance!

Rukelnikov
2019-05-09, 09:45 PM
I didn't understand if you were forbidden from taking wiz at all or just not going full wiz.

2 lvls of Bladesinger would be pretty useful, +3 AC twice per short rest, access to Shield and Absorb Elements, and lots of utility out of combat.

Obermax
2019-05-09, 10:28 PM
I didn't understand if you were forbidden from taking wiz at all or just not going full wiz.

2 lvls of Bladesinger would be pretty useful, +3 AC twice per short rest, access to Shield and Absorb Elements, and lots of utility out of combat.

not forbidden but having 2 full casters in group - glamour bard and trickster cleric we all agreed that we need some legit damage

the major thing that throws me off with adding 2 wizard levels is when? because even though my stats are decent i need at least 1 or 2 asi's

Rukelnikov
2019-05-09, 10:50 PM
not forbidden but having 2 full casters in group - glamour bard and trickster cleric we all agreed that we need some legit damage

the major thing that throws me off with adding 2 wizard levels is when? because even though my stats are decent i need at least 1 or 2 asi's

True, you probably also wanna get extra attack before that, if you are not gonna go rogue anymore, your DPR will suffer a lot if you don't get another source of damage.

Sorry I'm going to sleep now, if you don't have a build tomorrow I'll try to help you cook one.

Obermax
2019-05-09, 11:18 PM
in the case that the synergy between the classes is not overly apparent ill give a brief explain :)

Rogue - 2d6 SA dmg

Assassin - on the first round of combat when you surprise enemies you get your automatic crits

Ranger - whirling blades fighting style - you can make an extra off hand attack(with bonuses) while dual wielding and still gain the bonus action off hand attack attack (2 attacks + a non bonus offhand attack)

Gloomstalker - on the first round of combat when you surprise enemies - when you take the attack action you get an extra attack that gains +1d8 dmg

Fighter - Action Surge - surprisingly the way this interacts with gloomstalker specifically you gain an extra extra attack because you take the attack action twice

SO on a surprise round - @lvl 6 WITH a bow you get 2 shots both with bonuses , WITH double daggers or whatever you get 3 attacks full bonuses + the bonus action attack if you wanted - ill likely use that bonus action to cast hunters mark

SO on a non surprise round with a bow i get 1 shot.. SO on a non surprise round with daggers i get 2 attacks + 1 offhand attack OR I get in a green flame blade

SO @lvl 8 with fighter levels.. on a surprise round you get 4 shots with the bow!

the main idea is burst potential for our boss fights and otherwise im going to simply be trying to keep up with the other rogue/fighter but if i need sustain damage i do believe hunters mark + whirling blades + greenflame blade + sneak attack should for the most part keep me covered.. i guess that was kind of long winded but thats the key interactions / synergies for this build