PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Level 8: Feat or ASI?

Marywn
2019-05-09, 11:10 PM
Im playing a battle master, and I just hit level 8. My stats are 17 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 10 in, 13 wis, and 18 char. I have the shield master and spear feats, but what should I take?

I am a tank so maybe tough to increase my max hp, but Resilient Wisdom also seems good.

DarkKnightJin
2019-05-09, 11:19 PM
I would say +1 Str and +1 Wis, to even them out.
Unless you're hellbent on grabbing Resilient at some point. If you find that you have to make a lot of Wis saves, it might be a nice one to pick up now.

Marywn
2019-05-09, 11:22 PM
Gotta Admit... hold person is a scary spell. having only a +1 to your wisdom save agaisnt that is not a concept im too keen on

strangebloke
2019-05-09, 11:24 PM
I'm a big fan of rounding yourself out with a bit of utility. Inspiring Leader or Ritual Caster or Healer or Observant or whatever. You won't really fall behind in damage, and its nice to have something to do outside of combat. Inspiring Leader sits very well alongside your massive charisma.

For pure combat purposes:

+1 STR, +1 WIS. Give yourself a solid DPR and resilience boost.
Heavy Armor Master. Doesn't apply to magical damage, but it will allow you to just wade through a nonmagical enemy line. Also, one of the few half-feats that pushes strength
Lucky. Arguably better than resilient for rounding out your save defense. Better with shorter adventuring days.
Resilient:Wisdom. Just solid. Not exciting, just good. With this, you'll be good at all three common saves. Go you!
Prodigy: Athletics. For pushing with shield master. Obviously only if you're a half-elf, human, or half-orc.

I wouldn't reccomend tough. It's a worse feat than it appears, because although you get +2 total HP, you don't to apply that +2 when recovering HP via hit die. So unless you've a super-efficient healer in the group, it actually does less than just +2 CON.

Marywn
2019-05-09, 11:34 PM
This character is an Protector Aasimar, so Prodigy is out there... I do always love me good utility, though I'm already proficient in Athletics and Perception. I'd rather focus on survivaliablity, though magic initiate is appealing....

CTurbo
2019-05-10, 01:14 AM
I'd do SOMETHING to bump Str whether you choose a half feat or just +1 Str and Wis. Res(Wis) is good but I'd definitely bump Str first.

nickl_2000
2019-05-10, 07:02 AM
I'm with others in saying either

Heavy Armor Master for +1 strength and reduced damage from non-magical
Resilient Wisdom for proficiency in Wisdom saves and +1 Wis to even that out.

If it were me, I would like to HAM at level 8 and Resilient Wis at 12.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-10, 05:56 PM
I'm with others in saying either

Heavy Armor Master for +1 strength and reduced damage from non-magical
Resilient Wisdom for proficiency in Wisdom saves and +1 Wis to even that out.

If it were me, I would like to HAM at level 8 and Resilient Wis at 12.

This gets my vote too.

Too solid defensive feats, and two odd scores rounded out.

chando
2019-05-11, 08:03 AM
You migh get some ogre gauntlets or belt of giant strength eventually, especially betwen those levels, I would put my money on Resilient Wis fisrt. Heavy armor Master at level 8+ has fade in much of its utility as you have some enemies dealing something like 30-50 points of damage in a single strike... you should't have that much of a problem with lower level enemies, especially if you have someone with fireball in the party or any control spell really.

Unless you find that you miss often, go for resilient Wis. The middle ground would be +Str&Wis, than take resilient Wis at 12 and maybe observant at 16, but i would still rather go the wis saves from +1 to +5-6 in that time.

Laserlight
2019-05-11, 10:45 AM
Sort of depends on your DM. I can't recall my usual DM ever throwing a control spell at me, so ResWIS wouldn't do much. But if it comes up once every half dozen sessions, I'd take that instead of STR; +1 to hit is nice but getting Held sucks.

djreynolds
2019-05-11, 12:12 PM
Indomitable is great when you actually have more than a +1, so here resilient wisdom helps... versus fear and charm.

Lucky is nice also, but when it comes to saves it does little to help that meager +1 wisdom save

So resilient wisdom is great

Here is my take

1: are you willing to multiclass?

2. inspiring leader is helpful

3. Magic initiate is a great pickup

You are also not using GWM or SS, you are actually a battlefield controller, bard might be a really good pickup

I feel you could pick up a level of bard, and know when you go back to fighter you will get a feat.

Marywn
2019-05-12, 09:41 PM
I have an item that allows me to unfear/uncharm allies but not myself.. and oh boy the amount of times ive been exclusively feared by wis effects after getting that item... I can't count them all

Hytheter
2019-05-12, 10:47 PM
Resilient:Wisdom. Just solid. Not exciting, just good. With this, you'll be good at all three common saves. Go you!

I must be missing something because I don't see how a Fighter with 10 DEX is good at DEX saves when they're adding +0 to the roll.

Marywn
2019-05-13, 09:49 AM
Paladin is in the party
and cleric

djreynolds
2019-05-13, 10:02 PM
I must be missing something because I don't see how a Fighter with 10 DEX is good at DEX saves when they're adding +0 to the roll.

Maybe the OP has shield master

Paladin is in the party
and cleric

Get something fun, the paladin is laying down big hits with smites, the cleric has spells... what are you doing?

Are you tripping the enemy up, to set the table?

What maneuvers are you using?

Resilient wisdom is important... but you have a paladin with an aura, and the cleric and paladin can cast lesser restoration.

Also, you are not using GWM or SS... and not concentrating on anything, so grab magic initiate and take hex and grab some fun cantrips

Toofey
2019-05-14, 06:15 AM
am I reading this right that you have an 18 charisma? what's up with that?

Composer99
2019-05-14, 06:52 AM
Im playing a battle master, and I just hit level 8. My stats are 17 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 10 in, 13 wis, and 18 char. I have the shield master and spear feats, but what should I take?

I am a tank so maybe tough to increase my max hp, but Resilient Wisdom also seems good.

Honestly, I would say skilled to get proficiency with all the Charisma skills, so you're getting some mileage out of that 18 Charisma. Unless you're proficient with at least two of them already.

If you want to stick with combat utility, since as you say you are frequently getting cc'd, I would go with Resilient Wisdom.

At some point you're going to want to max out Strength, unless you're reasonably confident a Strength-boosting magic item is in your future.

Marywn
2019-05-14, 09:34 AM
am I reading this right that you have an 18 charisma? what's up with that?
Well.. I should of specified, Everyone was telling me to play a paladin, or as I like to call them, charisma fighters.
I choose to do charisma because i'm technically a charisma fighter

[Edit]
I also should have clarified, I said battlemaster, but Actually I'm playing something called a banneret. It's main stat is charisma, and acts similar to bard with inspiration except its a 1d4 and gives temp hp based on level+char mod.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-14, 12:54 PM
Well.. I should of specified, Everyone was telling me to play a paladin, or as I like to call them, charisma fighters.
I choose to do charisma because i'm technically a charisma fighter

[Edit]
I also should have clarified, I said battlemaster, but Actually I'm playing something called a banneret. It's main stat is charisma, and acts similar to bard with inspiration except its a 1d4 and gives temp hp based on level+char mod.

interesting. The only Banneret I know of is form the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, but it doesn't have those features.

Marywn
2019-05-14, 01:47 PM
Its a homebrew type of arcetype, from a book called rule of law, if you have heard of it