PDA

View Full Version : How Does PC-available Poisons work in your edition?

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-10, 04:04 AM
I'm doing some general research on PC-available poisons between editions :D

How does poison crafting work in your game?
Can anyone become proficient on position crafting? How do you aquire the skills?
Are poisons that are coated on a weapon expended after the first hit?
Are poisons pricey, comparatively to perhaps something standard like a healing potion?

Thanks in advance :D

MisterKaws
2019-05-10, 06:50 AM
1: It's a skill check just like making nonmagical equipment and alchemist concoctions(potions are magical).
2: ^. You just need to have Craft as a class skill and pick up Craft(Poison).
3: Usually yes, but there's some alchemical components that can store multiple doses of poisons and ointments in weapons. Also, applying poison has a 5% chance of poisoning yourself unless you have the Poison Use ability from a class.
4:It varies. As I mentioned before, potions are magical and have a completely different system. Even though I say that, they are in a similar price range, except poisons can be made for almost free using magic shenanigans.

Eldariel
2019-05-10, 07:45 AM
Complete Adventurer specifies that you can get a massive discount on poison costs by crafting them yourself (1/6th provided that the raw materials are available; though 3/4th cost if they're hard to access and impossible if they simply don't exist). The DMG has a basic list of poisons for crafting, though Complete Scoundrel and Dungeonscape in particular do a good job of elaborating upon that table.

This is the basic list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison) and how they work. FWIW, Pathfinder Poison rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison/) are 100 times better and I'd always use them regardless of how 3.5 game I'd run otherwise.

Aotrs Commander
2019-05-10, 08:52 AM
FWIW, Pathfinder Poison rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison/) are 100 times better and I'd always use them regardless of how 3.5 game I'd run otherwise.

And I didn't know that; I'd blithely just taken the new poison stat blocks when I upgraded my 3.5 bestiary to PF-standards and was using it like regular 3.5 poison, just with a snazzier mechanism. (Making it a but nastier...)

Suppose I ought to make a note of that for 3.A...

jintoya
2019-05-11, 06:45 PM
In my games, that is part of alchemy, usually it takes a know: Nature to find the herbs you need for poisons, then an alchemy to actually make it, potency depends on check, I don't tell the player if they misidentified the plant, which can be interesting.

Necroticplague
2019-05-11, 11:31 PM
How does poison crafting work in your game?
Get hit by it through the proper vector, make a FORT vs. Primary. A minute later, FORT vs. secondary.

Can anyone become proficient on position crafting? How do you aquire the skills? Mostly, same way you become profecient in anything else (picking the relevant Craft skill)

Are poisons that are coated on a weapon expended after the first hit?
Yes.

Are poisons pricey, comparatively to perhaps something standard like a healing potion?
Most of them are a bit too expensive to use unless you make them yourselves, but they're cheaper than healing potions. They're just much less impactful, due to being one-shot things.