PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Fight preparation - Level 6, 5 players group VS 4 Magic users - Getting the right CR

Puke
2019-05-10, 06:08 AM
Hello guys !

I'm running a pre-spellplague campaign. My PC just left Memnon. They took a bounty hunt, they have to slay 4 magic users located deep in the desert.

The foes are hiding inside old ruins. They stole a legendary potion to a Harper. In ou Forgotten Realms settings, you can occasionally find "essence potions". It's essentially potions made from a very dark ritual involving sacrificing monsters to gather their strength and their experience. Such a potion allows whose who drinks it to get more ability points (to a maximum determined by the PC with the best stats in the beginning, which means the potion will only allow the PCs to catch up to the luckiest player when they rolled their stats).

This means the reward is very, very valuable to them because some PCs had very crappy rolls.

So, I want this fight to be nearly impossible to win to force them to cooperate to the best of their abilities.

But I don't know how to build 4 magic users that will challenge the group juuuuuusssssssttttt the right way.

The group is made of a barbarian, a wizard, a rogue(assassin), a warrior, and a bard.

My initial idea is to put in front of them a wizard, a sorcerer, a warlock and a external magic user. I was thinking about making the 3 first NPCs lvl 7 or so.

What do you think ?

Thanks,

Contrast
2019-05-10, 06:46 AM
So, I want this fight to be nearly impossible to win to force them to cooperate to the best of their abilities.

But I don't know how to build 4 magic users that will challenge the group juuuuuusssssssttttt the right way.

You're going to have to clarify what you're aiming for - nearly impossible means 'PCs will die almost all of the time' which I assume isn't what you're aiming for :smallbiggrin:

My initial idea is to put in front of them a wizard, a sorcerer, a warlock and a external magic user. I was thinking about making the 3 first NPCs lvl 7 or so.

I would point out 3 fireballs (1 failed save, 2 passed saves) will likely completely KO your entire party. So...keep that in mind I guess.

Puke
2019-05-10, 06:53 AM
You're going to have to clarify what you're aiming for - nearly impossible means 'PCs will die almost all of the time' which I assume isn't what you're aiming for :smallbiggrin:

I would point out 3 fireballs (1 failed save, 2 passed saves) will likely completely KO your entire party. So...keep that in mind I guess.

To me, it means :
- They need to prepare the fight and a good strategy knowing they will face 4 magic users.
- They need to use theirs chars to the best of their abilities.

Usually, in a well balanced fight, I can K.O. (not kill) one or two PCs. It's great because they have the pressure to either finish the fight or try to save the fallen comrades.

EDIT : Almost impossible means, to me : you can't do any mistake. You can't do things thinking "don't worry it'll work". You have to think in advance or you'll pay the price.
It also means they can't know for sure if they will win.

DrKerosene
2019-05-10, 08:15 AM
I would use a custom spell list for one mage “you don’t want to hit”. Armor Of Agathys with your highest slot, then just Blade Ward and Hellish Rebuke, on a regular caster with “many” slots. Just go elemental nova on anyone who hits you.

I think another mage should abuse Twinned Crowns Of Madness (Kobold Sorcerer maybe?) while also using Counterspell.

I suppose a third one could be a suicide gish, like a Tiefling who drops Fireballs on themself in melee. Or a Scourge Aasimar mage-grappler.

I’m a fan of comboing Entangle, Spike Growth, and Thorn Whip or Gust of Wind or something.

Puke
2019-05-11, 10:36 AM
Well noted, thank you.