PDA

View Full Version : PrC for druids?

Mrark
2019-05-10, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone! I am looking for some prestige class for a druid in my party. Fact is, he is a very simple and unexperienced player, and what he usually likes doing in fight is summoning elementals, and shapeshifting (the nineth level spells). I see him becoming less useful for the party, and I would like something (feats, Prc, or even tactics) to empower him, based on his playstyle. Thanks!

DeTess
2019-05-10, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone! I am looking for some prestige class for a druid in my party. Fact is, he is a very simple and unexperienced player, and what he usually likes doing in fight is summoning elementals, and shapeshifting (the nineth level spells). I see him becoming less useful for the party, and I would like something (feats, Prc, or even tactics) to empower him, based on his playstyle. Thanks!

It sounds like you're already pretty high level, given that he can cast shapeshift. And summoning stuff and then casting one of the better 9th level spells sounds rather effective. I think it might be a good idea if you explained why this playstyle doesn't work in your campaign.

That having been said, it might be a good idea to look at the forms available to him through shapeshift, as there's a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of bad stuff there. What does he usually change into?

Telonius
2019-05-10, 12:39 PM
If the person is mostly going for physical combat, the Warshaper Prestige class might be something they're interested in.

Thaumaturgist is one that would really match the style, but it requires you to be able to cast Lesser Planar Ally. There are a few rules-dubious ways to get it on your list, Extra Spell being the primary. Getting it on your class list via Contemplative's bonus domain (Knowledge Devotion for Know Religion to qualify for Contemplative) is another. You could also beg your DM to tweak the requirements to allow a Druid entry. (Saying something like, "My other thought was maybe going Planar Shepherd" is a good way of getting it approved).

Mrark
2019-05-10, 01:18 PM
It sounds like you're already pretty high level, given that he can cast shapeshift. And summoning stuff and then casting one of the better 9th level spells sounds rather effective. I think it might be a good idea if you explained why this playstyle doesn't work in your campaign.

That having been said, it might be a good idea to look at the forms available to him through shapeshift, as there's a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of bad stuff there. What does he usually change into?

Both we and the enemies are very Highly equipped, so his summons start losing credibility when it comes to real fights. Too high AC and freedom of movement are almost always assumed.. so maybe something to boost his summonings.
About shapeshift, he usually morphs into what is useful for the party at that given Moment (usually a beholder for his antimagic cone, for example)

Mrark
2019-05-10, 01:20 PM
If the person is mostly going for physical combat, the Warshaper Prestige class might be something they're interested in.

Thaumaturgist is one that would really match the style, but it requires you to be able to cast Lesser Planar Ally. There are a few rules-dubious ways to get it on your list, Extra Spell being the primary. Getting it on your class list via Contemplative's bonus domain (Knowledge Devotion for Know Religion to qualify for Contemplative) is another. You could also beg your DM to tweak the requirements to allow a Druid entry. (Saying something like, "My other thought was maybe going Planar Shepherd" is a good way of getting it approved).

Will check those. Thank you

eggynack
2019-05-10, 02:14 PM
The situation here is a bit awkward because shapechange offers roughly infinite power if you pick the right forms. You could get him to any arbitrary power level just using that. That said, if you want to improve elemental summoning then the feat rashemi elemental summoning is very good. Pick that up alongside a ring of the beast and it should constitute a serious buff. Beyond that, you may want to check out my sigged handbook. It has a good list of prestige classes, as well as other general optimization stuff. The fact that this druid can do basically anything they want does reduce the utility of optimization somewhat, however.

Psyren
2019-05-10, 08:36 PM
Greenbound summoning is also a nice power boost