PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger that uses a sling.

RingofThorns
2019-05-10, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for dropping in. Anyway, this thread is about a new character I have dreamed up for a 5th ed. game. I was working off the idea of an Elven ranger with a background in leatherworking and being a small time hunter, then as so often happens in fantasy worlds his direct family was pretty much wiped out by a part of some massive army of goblins and orcs.

To this end, the elf took the bit of special leather [if I can talk to the DM into it I just want it to be really hard to break or damage] and fashions himself a sling. From there things get kind of goblin slayer, he goes out into the woods using his little experience with hunting to slowly become more and more adept at stalking and just outright murdering green skins whenever he gets the chance.

Pretty simple but When I first mentioned the idea to the DM that is supposed to be running this game he honestly looked like he had tasted butt when I told him my ranger wouldn't use a bow. I mean don't get me wrong I get it a bow does more damage, but this is the case I made if you are proficient with a weapon that means you are proficient in all the uses of that weapon, a sling [of appropriate length] can easily be used as a ranged weapon, a melee weapon, and even a garrote if you can sneak up behind someone.

So I guess I am here to get some feedback, helpful ideas to make the idea work a little better, etc.

stoutstien
2019-05-10, 03:41 PM
Slings imo are the most underappreciated weapon.
One question vis if your DM will allow preload slings be carried. This was a common practice for people who hunted with them

RingofThorns
2019-05-10, 03:46 PM
I don't know why keeping one loaded would be a problem the weight wouldn't be much and people in previous games with this DM have walked around with bows that were loaded.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-10, 03:47 PM
sounds cool. How do the party feel about it?

moonfly7
2019-05-10, 03:51 PM
Love this concept! I've played lots of rangers in my games, and have used a variety of weapons, never a sling though, sounds fun. Actually reminds me of the ranger apprentice book series a bit.

Anyways, the garret sling concept is cool, and yes, I personally believe you could add your proficiency bonus to using it as a club or a garret. For the garret stats I'd suggest advantage to grappling checks and after x number of time the target becomes unconscious. they would have disadvantage on top of your advantage, in my opinion at least.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-10, 03:53 PM
To make a sling work the best, you want to have some kind of ability that adds additional damage rather than adding more attacks. This is because the Sling requires you to have both hands be full, while also not having very high of base damage.

So no Gloomstalker or Hunter. Those are out.

Monster Slayer, Horizon Walker, and Beast Master all have some way of adding flat damage to your abilities.

The Horizon Walker has mobility.

The Monster Slayer has supportive abilities.

The Beast Master has non-combat abilities.

So I'd recommend picking which of those fits your playstyle the most.

RingofThorns
2019-05-10, 03:59 PM
Thanks, everyone for the great feedback so far, the party we have right now for some reason the DM doesn't want us telling each other what characters we are making my guess is he doesn't want too much planning done on some crazy combo or another.

Build wise I was thinking of picking up I want to say it is collusus slayer [I think I spelled that wrong.] Anyway you can pick it at third level and anytime a target has less than full HP you get to do an additional D8 of damage once per round. I figured take that and then take something that lets me possibly make ranged sneak attacks and then just blow some greenskins head off his shoulders with a river rock.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-10, 03:59 PM
If you chose beast master you could get a pet squirrel!!!

Ogeeogelthorpe
2019-05-10, 04:46 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for dropping in. Anyway, this thread is about a new character I have dreamed up for a 5th ed. game. I was working off the idea of an Elven ranger with a background in leatherworking and being a small time hunter, then as so often happens in fantasy worlds his direct family was pretty much wiped out by a part of some massive army of goblins and orcs.

To this end, the elf took the bit of special leather [if I can talk to the DM into it I just want it to be really hard to break or damage] and fashions himself a sling. From there things get kind of goblin slayer, he goes out into the woods using his little experience with hunting to slowly become more and more adept at stalking and just outright murdering green skins whenever he gets the chance.

Pretty simple but When I first mentioned the idea to the DM that is supposed to be running this game he honestly looked like he had tasted butt when I told him my ranger wouldn't use a bow. I mean don't get me wrong I get it a bow does more damage, but this is the case I made if you are proficient with a weapon that means you are proficient in all the uses of that weapon, a sling [of appropriate length] can easily be used as a ranged weapon, a melee weapon, and even a garrote if you can sneak up behind someone.

So I guess I am here to get some feedback, helpful ideas to make the idea work a little better, etc.

This would be fun. Go with a Kobold or a Goblin and multiclass into Rogue! Sling + Fury of the small + sneak attack + hunters mark + planar warrior from horizon walker = profit.

RingofThorns
2019-05-10, 05:17 PM
This would be fun. Go with a Kobold or a Goblin and multiclass into Rogue! Sling + Fury of the small + sneak attack + hunters mark + planar warrior from horizon walker = profit.

Yeah it could be fun but like I said I'm doing an elf.

Crgaston
2019-05-10, 05:58 PM
I think Hunters Mark + Colossus Slayer will work great. See if he’ll let you take Crossbow Expert and call it Sling Expert for another attack on your Bonus Action.. Also Sharpshooter will add a bunch of flat damage.

moonfly7
2019-05-10, 09:47 PM
This should help with a conversion to a sling expert feat, I saw it awhile back, its pretty cool:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?585244-Changing-Crossbow-Expert-Feat-to-Sling-Expert-Feat-any-issues&highlight=sling+feat

Ventruenox
2019-05-10, 11:13 PM
As Crgaston mentioned in that other thread, the use of shield + sling should have be a thing in 5E. That is worth a conversation with your DM.

Also, if UA is allowed at your table, a level into the Rune Scribe prestige class is worth exploring. The Stein Rune would give you a 25% chance of knocking a target prone with your sling each hit. Helpful for the melee companions in your party.

Fnissalot
2019-05-11, 12:31 AM
I like this article of how slings should work in 5e, it is pretty compelling! It is suggested changes to the sling in 5e based on compilation of historical accounts, historians theorizing and practical tests.
http://ludusludorum.com/2016/05/12/a-defense-of-the-humble-sling/

Aaron Underhand
2019-05-11, 04:38 AM
It's hard to make slings work.

I'm playing a vhuman horizon walker at 5th level. I wanted a wisdom based character so took MI druid at level one for shillelagh, magic Stone and Goodberry. This is for role playing reasons, but the sling doesn't really work out. Too much competition for bonus actions with hunters mark and HW bonus damage.

blackjack50
2019-05-11, 09:05 AM
I don't know why keeping one loaded would be a problem the weight wouldn't be much and people in previous games with this DM have walked around with bows that were loaded.

Idk if I’d allow preloaded. But then? It isn’t that hard to load a sling anyway. An arrow stays knocked. I’ve got limited experience with a slings. They are a bad ass weapon that can produce as much force as a .45 caliber bullet with the right design and stone

Trustypeaches
2019-05-11, 12:18 PM
Okay, why not just reflavor a longbow to a sling then? Or a hand crossbow if you want one-handed?

moonfly7
2019-05-11, 12:36 PM
Okay, why not just reflavor a longbow to a sling then? Or a hand crossbow if you want one-handed?
It defeats the purpose and you really shouldn't have too. Besides, slings should get some special properties, in my humble opinion.
I'd suggest either a feat or Just a flat ability for the sling that lets you load more than one bullet at a time. You make an attack roll like normal. Then make another for each additional bullet after the first. But for each additional roll, subtract 5, or something like that.

stoutstien
2019-05-11, 12:54 PM
It is dirt cheap and the only way for a player other than monks to get Dex focused blunt damage

Rara1212
2019-05-11, 12:55 PM
The nice thing with slings is your DM might be okay with you having "infinite" ammunition, so you don't need to worry about that at least.

Archery fighting style is good for +2 to hit
Sharp Shooter is great for more damage & range, the +2 from archery helps with the -5, and since slings have low base damage you don't loose as much as otherwise.
Hunters Mark is good for more damage

RingofThorns
2019-05-11, 01:13 PM
I don't know why walking around with a loaded sling would be trouble, I mean yeah arrows will try and stay on the string but if you turn the bow wrong or run hard enough it bounces around and often off the knock [I bow hunt], so yeah like sprinting with a loaded sling wouldn't work but slowly stalking around corners or sneaking through a camp? I figure that wouldn't be a problem.

moonfly7
2019-05-11, 01:24 PM
Pretty easy to sprint with a loaded sling, just hold the pouch in your hand with the bullet inside. Then when you want to throw let it slip down, catch the string and go.

RingofThorns
2019-05-11, 01:38 PM
Pretty easy to sprint with a loaded sling, just hold the pouch in your hand with the bullet inside. Then when you want to throw let it slip down, catch the string and go.

I mean if you have the room you can even run while swinging the damn thing.

moonfly7
2019-05-11, 02:18 PM
I mean if you have the room you can even run while swinging the damn thing.

True, very true. Sling is hella versatile

blackjack50
2019-05-11, 07:06 PM
I don't know why walking around with a loaded sling would be trouble, I mean yeah arrows will try and stay on the string but if you turn the bow wrong or run hard enough it bounces around and often off the knock [I bow hunt], so yeah like sprinting with a loaded sling wouldn't work but slowly stalking around corners or sneaking through a camp? I figure that wouldn't be a problem.

I guess it is just how I’m thinking of a sling. I don’t see how it would stay loaded while carrying? But I suppose if you held the ends and it was tight enough?

moonfly7
2019-05-11, 07:10 PM
Just hold the strings, it's not hard, the rock tends to stay in the pouch.

Contrast
2019-05-11, 07:23 PM
but this is the case I made if you are proficient with a weapon that means you are proficient in all the uses of that weapon, a sling [of appropriate length] can easily be used as a ranged weapon, a melee weapon, and even a garrote if you can sneak up behind someone.

Just to say this isn't true.

A weapon used outside of its intended purpose (for example, hitting someone with your bow) would be treated as an improvised weapon (unless your DM advised it could be used as a specific weapon otherwise per the improvised weapon rules). Normally you need Tavern Brawler to be proficient in improvised weapons.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-11, 07:35 PM
Good points:
Cheap
Easy to find or make
One handed
Does not have loading which is surprising
Easily concealable and most guards and things won’t care.

Cons:
Not the best range
Damage is rather low

How about a feat to make it work easier:

If people are ok with the ua weapon feats.
Sling expert:

+1 dex or str
You may use an unloaded sling as if it were a whip, with which you have proficiency.
You do not suffer from disadvantage due to extreme range

opaopajr
2019-05-11, 09:17 PM
Again, it's a factor of the pants-on-head gamist weapons and armor list. If the GM wants to change it, awesome! :smallcool: But many don't... because reasons. :smallmad: Do what you want anyway, though, and have fun! :smallsmile: The ranger can contribute in many other ways, and they can use the environment as a weapon and shield. Nothing like a wild goose chase in the wilderness to kill your enemies. :smallbiggrin:

RingofThorns
2019-05-11, 10:57 PM
Just to say this isn't true.

A weapon used outside of its intended purpose (for example, hitting someone with your bow) would be treated as an improvised weapon (unless your DM advised it could be used as a specific weapon otherwise per the improvised weapon rules). Normally you need Tavern Brawler to be proficient in improvised weapons.

Okay then, by your logic using a sword with a basket hilt and punching someone would be outside the main use of that weapon. People that fought with slings were used to knocking the crap out of people with them sure it wasn't ideal but do you get what I'm getting at?

Contrast
2019-05-12, 07:09 AM
Okay then, by your logic using a sword with a basket hilt and punching someone would be outside the main use of that weapon. People that fought with slings were used to knocking the crap out of people with them sure it wasn't ideal but do you get what I'm getting at?

If your DM wants to say a sling in addition to being a sling is also functionally identical to a club for melee purposes thats cool. The difference isn't that substantial (it's 1d4 bludgeoning damage either way). The main difference is proficiency and dual wielding - proficiency in particular was the bit you seemed to be assuming you would get.

I'm just pointing out its a question you should be asking them not an assumption you should be relying on.

KiltieMacPipes
2019-05-12, 07:31 AM
Honestly, unless you're dead set on being a Ranger, Sounds like you'd do well as a Scout rogue with the Outlander background.

djreynolds
2019-05-12, 08:35 AM
A sling can be used with extra attack, it does not have the loading property, only crossbows have a loading property

You cannot use magic stone with a sling and get sharpshooter since it is still a spell attack, according to sage advice

Using a sling with sharpshooter is cool and all thrown weapons and bows and sling shots work with ranger spells.... lighting arrow works with a sling

Azgeroth
2019-05-12, 11:46 AM
ask your DM if you can fire off alchemists fire, acid, tanglefoot bags, etc. that makes the sling super useful.

also, by the chatter on this thread it seems there is some confusion between a sling, and a staff-sling.

a sling is literally a length of cordage, with a wide bit in the middle.
a staff-sling is the same as above, but one end is tied to the staff, the second end is tied in a loop, which is put over the top of the staff and comes loose to release.

running with a loaded sling is trickier, you either need to use both hands, for string and pouch, or risk loosing the ammo when you release the pouch.

running with a staff sling is easier, as you just hold the pouch to the staff with a single hand (i.e. a single finger to hold both strings together, against the staff pinching the pouch) then release that finger and start winding that baby up!

as a note, staff-slings are better, the staff adds quite a bit of punch (wider arc, more potential, MOAR DAMAGE! also heavier payload)

edit : as a note, the staff sling was the most common type used by shepherds and farmers, walking stick + sling! to throw heavier rocks at those damned-able wolves!

Halabalousa
2019-05-12, 04:55 PM
Im currently playing a halfling slinger at level 13 which is a multiclass of ranger, rogue and fighter and it works pretty well. Slings are easy to conceal and its easy to find ammo.

I would say that the most important thing for you is to take the Sharpshooter feat because that deals with the lousy range of a sling in 5e d&d (what has a sling done to deserve only 30/120ft range?) and it also provides an extra puch to your damage. Im the mian damage dealer in our party and the difference from d8 damage dice with a long bow to d4 isnt really noticeable.

Vorpalchicken
2019-05-12, 05:08 PM
Sling and shield should be allowed. In fact it was RAW when the 5e PHB was released. The "free hand to load" errata was only introduced to deal with hand crossbow shenanigans.
Ask your DM. It's a very reasonable and verisimilitudious (a very cromulent word) request.

Talionis
2019-05-12, 08:11 PM
A sling can be used with extra attack, it does not have the loading property, only crossbows have a loading property

You cannot use magic stone with a sling and get sharpshooter since it is still a spell attack, according to sage advice

Using a sling with sharpshooter is cool and all thrown weapons and bows and sling shots work with ranger spells.... lighting arrow works with a sling

I thought a sling is a weapon attack with Magic Stones if you actually use a Sling. It’s why Sneak Attack works with a sling but not if you throw a Magic Stone. If I am wrong let me know.

5e works pretty well but for simplifying some of it, Attacks and what is a weapon attack of a different type is often very weird and some attacks like a thrown hand axe is I think neither a melee Attack or a ranged attack?