PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Subclass; thoughts?

Scorpiomoth
2019-05-10, 03:55 PM
I've created a Paladin oath for a homebrew campaign setting I'm intending to run. I'm aware that it's a pretty terrible subclass in a low-magic setting, but aside from that, I'm looking for feedback and constructive criticism, especially in terms of balancing, just in case I've over- or under-powered abilities. Let me know what you think! :smallsmile:

Oath of the Witch Hunter

The Witch Hunters are an elite order of knights, working with and sometimes above the law of the land. They have dedicated themselves to stopping those who would use magic for evil and slaying the foul creations of evil mages. Witch Hunters constantly seek to learn new magical secrets and to keep those secrets from falling into the wrong hands; given their own way, they would be the only ones allowed to practice magic, as they cannot be sure who will be corrupted by its dark allure.

Tenets of the Witch Hunter

The rules of the Witch Hunters are strict and clear, a paladin who breaks these tenets will shortly see themselves kicked from the organisation.

Ever Vigilant. Evildoers are everywhere and will never rest, you must be ever alert for deception and villainy.

Know Your Enemy. The arcane arts are complex and varied, only through study and research can you hope to stand against them.

Protect the Natural. Do not let the destructive nature of magic tear apart the natural world or its denizens, be their shield.

Never Falter. Temptation and trickery are around every corner, stick to your code no matter what.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Arcane Ward. As an action, you can use your Channel Divinity to call forth magical warding on your body. You have advantage on all saving throws against spells and other magical effects. Additionally, when you make a saving throw against a spell to take only half damage, you instead take no damage on a success. These effects last for 1 minute or until you become unconscious.

Draw the Fire. As an action, you can use your Channel Divinity to force an enemy to focus on you. A creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw, on a failed save it cannot target creatures other than you with spells or attack rolls. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed

Oath of the Witch Hunter Spells

Paladin Level Spells

3rd Detect Magic, Identify

5th Silence, Zone of Truth

9th Counterspell, Dispel Magic

13th Banishment, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

17th Legend Lore, Scrying

Aura of Warding
Beginning at 7th level, your time spent dealing with magic has caused a permanent ward to form around you. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Spell Absorption
Beginning at 15th level, you have mastered the manipulation of arcane energy and can now absorb pure magic. Whenever you end a spell with Counterspell or Dispel Magic, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal 2 x the level of the spell.

Hero of the Mundane
At 20th level, you have become the ultimate shield against magic. As an action, you summon forth great radiant power into your body, causing your eyes to glow brightly and radiant mist to emanate from you, this transformation lasts for 1 minute. While transformed in this way, you gain the following benefits:

You may cast Counterspell as a 3rd level spell without expending any spell slots or material components.
You automatically succeed on saving throws against spells or magical effects.
Hostile creatures within 30 feet of you cannot teleport or turn invisible.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-10, 04:05 PM
seems good although the 3rd level stuff might need to be toned down a little .

Scorpiomoth
2019-05-10, 04:29 PM
seems good although the 3rd level stuff might need to be toned down a little .

In what way? I hesitated to add the 'no damage on a success' part to Arcane Ward, but I felt it seemed a little weak without it. Do you think it would be in line with other Channel Divinity features if I did that or do you have other suggestions?

Ganryu
2019-05-10, 04:31 PM
Might want to put this in the homebrew forums though

Scorpiomoth
2019-05-10, 04:32 PM
Might want to put this in the homebrew forums though

Oh sorry, still a little new to the sjte and didn't see there was a homebrew forum, I'll repost in there thanks :)

Ganryu
2019-05-10, 04:34 PM
Oh sorry, still a little new to the sjte and didn't see there was a homebrew forum, I'll repost in there thanks :)

I did the exact same thing like last week. Just report your own post, and hte mods'll move it, no trouble.