PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best L6 Mystic Arcanum for Fey BladeLock?

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-10, 05:25 PM
My Archfey BladeLock is approaching 11th level, and I'm not sure which Mystic Arcanum to pick, mainly because it's a permanent choice.

I've narrowed down my options to Eyebite, Flesh to Stone, Investiture of Stone, Investiture of Wind, Mass Suggestion, Mental Prison.

Eyebite: 10 rounds, 3 effects to choose from.
Flesh to Stone: target is Restrained for 3 rounds, but only if it fails a Con save.
Investiture of Stone: knocking everyone within 15 feet prone with a Dex save is good.
Investiture of Wind: Flying and giving disadvantage to ranged attacks is also good.
Mass Suggestion: like Suggestion, but vs a crowd, no concentration, for 24 hours!
Mental Prison: locks target down, does up to 15d6 damage.

My Warlock switches off between melee and ranged with the Improved Pact Weapon invocation, using a rapier in melee and a longbow at range; either way he's usually in combat. He's also got Eldritch Blast as a backup. Do I choose an Arcanum that gives me advantage in combat like Flesh to Stone, or something else like Mass Suggestion?

Some of these use an action every round so they'd preclude attacking with my pact weapon; is it worth giving up that option to use a Mystic Arcanum instead of going into combat? The following level I'll have the Lifedrinker invocation so my Pact Weapon will be doing 1d8+11 damage per attack. Plus Hex damage if I cast it. I'm having a hard time gauging the effectiveness of Eyebite and the Investiture spells vs. that.

So which spell should I choose?

Many thanks.

Aaron Underhand
2019-05-10, 05:38 PM
So which spell should I choose?

Many thanks.

Mass Suggestion.

Multiple target control with long duration.

You have plenty of single target options, and can swap out lower level slots for utility like fly. Mass Suggestion is also useful outside of combat...

RSP
2019-05-10, 06:50 PM
If allowed, and not sure if it’s RAW, but consider up-cast lower level spells. Major Image as your MA gives you a 1x/day permanent illusion with no concentration.

This is a pretty awesome thing to have, in my opinion.

Galithar
2019-05-10, 07:36 PM
If allowed, and not sure if it’s RAW, but consider up-cast lower level spells. Major Image as your MA gives you a 1x/day permanent illusion with no concentration.

Not when it comes at a greater cost them at-will silent image. A limited MA spell, or a single invocation of which you get you get many?
I get that major image is better, but that's a high cost to simply improve something you've been able to do, potentially since level 2.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-10, 07:40 PM
Mass Suggestion.

Multiple target control with long duration.

You have plenty of single target options, and can swap out lower level slots for utility like fly. Mass Suggestion is also useful outside of combat...

I did this with my last Warlock, and quite liked the results. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something with my other options.

It's also worth noting that I already have Suggestion; if I take Mass Suggestion I'll be able to swap that out for another Pact Magic spell.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-10, 07:51 PM

By RAW, an upcast spell becomes a spell of whatever level slot you're using to cast it. But also, Mystic Arcana don't really use spell slots as such. So after thinking it over, I'm doubtful this would work.

Edit: after looking at this again, I'm not so sure. If a Warlock can cast a standard 6th level spell w/o a spell slot, then why not an upcast lower level spell using the same ability? They're functionally the same thing.

RSP
2019-05-10, 08:18 PM
By RAW, an upcast spell becomes a spell of whatever level slot you're using to cast it. But also, Mystic Arcana don't really use spell slots as such. So after thinking it over, I'm doubtful this would work.

Again, may not be RAW, but it’s hardly OP.

bid
2019-05-10, 08:20 PM
Again, may not be RAW, but it’s hardly OP.
Yeah, not RAW at all but it's a flavor thing and not OP at all.

RSP
2019-05-10, 08:22 PM
Not when it comes at a greater cost them at-will silent image. A limited MA spell, or a single invocation of which you get you get many?
I get that major image is better, but that's a high cost to simply improve something you've been able to do, potentially since level 2.

It’s much better than Silent Image, though the Misty Visions Invocation is fantastic.

With MA Major Image, day 1 you can make an illusion of yourself. You now have that with you forever to use as a decoy in combat, or out. No Concentration. And that’s just day 1.

That’s a big difference from SI, which can be a decoy, but doesn’t make sound and costs Concentration.

This, combined with Invis is fantastic.

Galithar
2019-05-10, 08:35 PM
It’s much better than Silent Image, though the Misty Visions Invocation is fantastic.

With MA Major Image, day 1 you can make an illusion of yourself. You now have that with you forever to use as a decoy in combat, or out. No Concentration. And that’s just day 1.

That’s a big difference from SI, which can be a decoy, but doesn’t make sound and costs Concentration.

This, combined with Invis is fantastic.

The benefit compared to the cost is still minimal. Neither are ever worth using in combat. If you move your MI illusion it takes your action (As does Silent Image) if it's stationary it's taking 1 attack at most and immediately being recognized as an illusion (again for both). Mirror Image is far superior, but not at that cost. There are far too many better things for a Warlock to do with their single level 6 spell then slightly improve something they can do at will.

Most Warlock spells at level 6 are actually decent, though not all of them on a Warlock.

ImproperJustice
2019-05-10, 09:42 PM
Apologies for referencing something not on your initial list, but how about soul cage?

Gives you some healing and out of combat utility, or grab some advantage on a save or attack. Lasts 8 hours so you get some mileage from it.

I’m guessing you probably already have a pretty solid attack routine down by this point, so maybe another tool in your toolbox could be handy?

Galithar
2019-05-10, 09:52 PM
Apologies for referencing something not on your initial list, but how about soul cage?

Gives you some healing and out of combat utility, or grab some advantage on a save or attack. Lasts 8 hours so you get some mileage from it.

I’m guessing you probably already have a pretty solid attack routine down by this point, so maybe another tool in your toolbox could be handy?

I second this choice. It's also the best interrogation technique. Kill them and force them to truthfully answer up to 6 questions.

At will advantage can help as well, though there are other ways and this is possibly the last useful effect in my opinion.

A ten minute scrying effect is nice as well. The best part is combining this with asking questions. Find out where their 'base' is by asking. Then name that place and get eyes in whatever's happening. Alternatively use it on a guard of somewhere and then spy on the next room to see what's behind the door before you open it.

RSP
2019-05-10, 11:00 PM
The benefit compared to the cost is still minimal. Neither are ever worth using in combat. If you move your MI illusion it takes your action (As does Silent Image) if it's stationary it's taking 1 attack at most and immediately being recognized as an illusion (again for both). Mirror Image is far superior, but not at that cost. There are far too many better things for a Warlock to do with their single level 6 spell then slightly improve something they can do at will.

Most Warlock spells at level 6 are actually decent, though not all of them on a Warlock.

Agree to disagree. A permanent, Concentration-less illusion per day is a fantastic benefit, in my opinion, and would probably be used far more than any other choice; but it’s not for everyone.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-11, 12:04 AM

Let's just say my character wouldn't touch this spell with a ten foot pact weapon due to roleplaying reasons and leave it at that.

Crgaston
2019-05-11, 01:32 AM
I feel like Mystica Arcana choices are some of the most heavily RP-influenced spell decisions in the game. If you've been leaning on your persuasiveness, Mass Suggestion is an obvious extension. If you've been leaning towards single-target control, Mental Prison is a no-brainer (sorry). Multi-target control suggests Eyebite or, again, Mass Suggestion. If you've been leaning into the Fey Teleportation ability, along with Thunder Step and/or Far Step, Scatter feels pretty good. I believe it is the only spell that can teleport unwilling creatures. You could clump enemies together to set up an ally's AOE, or you could reposition your entire willing party either offensively or defensively. Plus it won't mess with your Concentration, be it on Hex or anything else.

The Investitures are both thematic and powerful and really hammer home the "magical being" trope. And they can fit so well with Archfey. But they cost your Concentration.

I don't feel like there's an objectively superior choice for all characters. It really just depends on so many factors.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-11, 01:53 AM
I feel like Mystica Arcana choices are some of the most heavily RP-influenced spell decisions in the game. If you've been leaning on your persuasiveness, Mass Suggestion is an obvious extension. If you've been leaning towards single-target control, Mental Prison is a no-brainer (sorry). Multi-target control suggests Eyebite or, again, Mass Suggestion. If you've been leaning into the Fey Teleportation ability, along with Thunder Step and/or Far Step, Scatter feels pretty good. I believe it is the only spell that can teleport unwilling creatures. You could clump enemies together to set up an ally's AOE, or you could reposition your entire willing party either offensively or defensively. Plus it won't mess with your Concentration, be it on Hex or anything else.

The Investitures are both thematic and powerful and really hammer home the "magical being" trope. And they can fit so well with Archfey. But they cost your Concentration.

I don't feel like there's an objectively superior choice for all characters. It really just depends on so many factors.

This is an excellent way of looking at it.

My character uses a lot charm spells: Suggestion and Hypnotic Pattern are his favorites. And he loves illusions; Hallucinatory Terrain, Dream, and Seeming get a lot of use. He also teleports a lot. So the Scatter spell might be more on-point than I had thought at first.

Witty Username
2019-05-11, 02:38 AM
Is conjure fey on the table?

If not, I like the idea of eyebite or mass suggestion. both of them are good if you need to tip the scales against multiple foes.
I like mental prison more than flesh to stone, and I like the idea of personalizing an illusory prison.

If you are already good against multiple foes, take mental prison.
otherwise I like eyebite or mass suggestion, I think mass suggestion is the better spell than eyebite generally but both are good.

so like
1.mass suggestion
2.eyebite
3.mental prison

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-11, 10:53 AM
Is conjure fey on the table?

If not, I like the idea of eyebite or mass suggestion. both of them are good if you need to tip the scales against multiple foes.
I like mental prison more than flesh to stone, and I like the idea of personalizing an illusory prison.

If you are already good against multiple foes, take mental prison.
otherwise I like eyebite or mass suggestion, I think mass suggestion is the better spell than eyebite generally but both are good.

so like
1.mass suggestion
2.eyebite
3.mental prison

Conjure Fey would be an option if there were more good-aligned fey of the appropriate CR. I'm not crazy about the idea of summoning hags. And the whole "fey spirit in the form of a beast" idea has a similar issue; the high CR creatures aren't really appropriate to the character. (Fey dinosaurs, really?)

ImproperJustice
2019-05-12, 07:29 AM
Let's just say my character wouldn't touch this spell with a ten foot pact weapon due to roleplaying reasons and leave it at that.

That’s more than fair.