PDA

View Full Version : Real Quick Homebrew: A More "Generic" Sorcerer

Damon_Tor
2019-05-10, 07:53 PM
Player wants a sorcerer school that's less "bloodline" and more "rainman, but magic". This is a quick rough draft, might be broken.

Arcane Savant
Though not born of any particular bloodline, your mind's unique affinity for a particular type of magic creates a nigh-effortless ability to use that form of magic without study.

Level 1.
Choose a school of magic (Evocation, Illusion, Abjuration, Etc). Whenever you gain a level in this class you gain one bonus spell known from that school of magic. This bonus spell can come from any class list.

Level 6.
Whenever you cast a spell from your chosen school using a spell slot, you can spend sorcery points to cast it at a level higher than the spell slot you expended. Every 3 sorcery points you spend in this way raises the level of the spell by 1. You can spend a number of sorcery points equal to half your sorcerer level in this way.

Level 15.
When you cast a spell from your chosen school that requires concentration, you can choose to cast it without concentrating on it by expending a hit die. Roll the die and add your constitution modifier: the spell lasts for that many rounds or its maximum duration, whichever comes first.

I gotta go make dinner, gimme your thoughts.

Galithar
2019-05-10, 07:59 PM
Level one ability is too powerful. Any spell from their chosen school, from any list, every level? That gives them an extra 20 spells over doubling their normal number known. Giving them access to everyone else's lists also just let's them step on other classes toes, though the single school restriction makes this not as bad.

Level 6 ability is just weird. A level 2 spell costs 3 sorcery points. A level one spell refunds 1 when broken down. So I can spend 3 sorcery points to make a level 1 a level 2... Or I can just make a level 2 slot and use that.
So when you get it, it's useless. Then later it might get some use upgrading your mid level spells into high level slots, but I'm still not sure it's worth it.

Level 15 removing concentration is dangerous it can open up extremely potent combos. Also where is spending a hit die coming from? Seems out of line with everything else.

In general I would say it's way stronger then any official origin.

Dankus Memakus
2019-05-10, 09:12 PM
Player wants a sorcerer school that's less "bloodline" and more "rainman, but magic". This is a quick rough draft, might be broken.

Arcane Savant
Though not born of any particular bloodline, your mind's unique affinity for a particular type of magic creates a nigh-effortless ability to use that form of magic without study.

Level 1.
Choose a school of magic (Evocation, Illusion, Abjuration, Etc). Whenever you gain a level in this class you gain one bonus spell known from that school of magic. This bonus spell can come from any class list.

Level 6.
Whenever you cast a spell from your chosen school using a spell slot, you can spend sorcery points to cast it at a level higher than the spell slot you expended. Every 3 sorcery points you spend in this way raises the level of the spell by 1. You can spend a number of sorcery points equal to half your sorcerer level in this way.

Level 15.
When you cast a spell from your chosen school that requires concentration, you can choose to cast it without concentrating on it by expending a hit die. Roll the die and add your constitution modifier: the spell lasts for that many rounds or its maximum duration, whichever comes first.

I gotta go make dinner, gimme your thoughts.

My thoughts? I think your one and six are fine if you scale them better. If it were me, I’d change the level one ability to just some levels (look at the cleric levels for their bonus spells) and id change the level six ability to have different amounts of sorcery points on spells of different levels. The 15 needs a rework. Although it sounds simple and not too powerful I think it would open up EXTREMELY OVERPOWERED combos for creative players.

JackPhoenix
2019-05-10, 09:23 PM
Not generic (school specialization isn't generic), not thematic for sorcerer (school specialization is a wizard thing), extremely overpowered (divine soul is propably the strongest sorcerer subclass, and that gives access to cleric list only, and no (well, one) extra spell known), and in a wrong forum.

strangebloke
2019-05-11, 12:07 AM
To be honest as long as metamagic is the focus of the class as a whole, you can't make it simple with just changes to a subclass. That's like trying to make a motorcycle into a tricycle by applying a fresh coat of paint.

As it stands, the Draconic Sorcerer is strong and is strong in a way that's incredibly generic. So its basically everything you really want.

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-11, 03:14 AM
Had a thread about class and sublcass "sizes"
The sorcerer sublcasses are rather small, and forgoing picking one has pretty little impact.

There are two different routes you can take this. You can use Kane0's Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?555697-Houserules-and-homebrew), which will give you exactly what you are looking for, or you can use some hodgepodge of optional rules and tweaks. I recommend option A.

If you want to get at least SOMETHING instead of your subclass, you can use these options:

Starting at 1st level, If you fail a saving throw or miss with an attack roll, you can roll 2d4 and add it to the total, possibly changing the outcome.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

At level 6, gain a feat of your choice.

Malbrack
2019-05-11, 11:16 AM
As others have mentioned, it seems overpowered and more Wizard-like than Sorcerer-like.

Why can't you just reflavor Draconic Bloodline to something more generic? You can still call it Arcane Savant.

Instead of Draconic Resilience it is Arcane Resilience. You don't have scales, your skin just occasionally shimmers with magical energy. Elemental Affinity is already generic enough. Instead of Dragon Wings, you can simply gain a fly speed (with the same restrictions) because of your connection to magic. And so on.

Yakk
2019-05-11, 06:28 PM
At level 6, you'd use it to cast your level 2 spells as a level 3 spell. It is quite strong.