PDA

View Full Version : Superhero Class Nicknames

Telonius
2007-10-04, 11:28 AM
If we're going to continue calling Wizards by a Super Hero Nickname, I kind of feel that the other three principle archetypes should be afforded the same dubious honour. How about Fighter = Superman (pre flight version, Kryptonite = Magic) and Rogue = Spiderman? I cannot think of a suitable Superhero nickname for Clerics offhand, but I guess Sorcerers could be Robin.

We already have Batman as the universally-accepted Wizard nickname, but how about the rest of the classes?

axraelshelm
2007-10-04, 11:34 AM
swamp thing=druid

Dihan
2007-10-04, 11:46 AM
Marvel Class Nicknames

Wizard = Doctor Strange
Sorcerer = Scarlet Witch
Fighter = Beast
Soulknife = Psylocke
Telepath Psion = Prof. Xavier
Telekinetic Psion = Jean Grey
Monk = Quicksilver
Barbarian = Wolverine
Factotum = Rogue
Cleric = Elixir
Bard = Dazzler
Artificer = Forge

And a few prestige classes:

Shadowlord = Nightcrawler
Stormlord = Storm
Pyrokineticist = Sunfire/Human Torch
Cryokineticist = Iceman
Master of Many Forms = Mystique
Ocular Adept = Cyclops

An epic prestige class:

Legendary Dreadnought = Juggernaut/Blob

RelentlessImp
2007-10-04, 11:50 AM
Duskblade = Gambit

Tengu
2007-10-04, 11:52 AM
Samurai = Aquaman

I think I don't need to explain why.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-04, 11:54 AM
Samurai = Aquaman

Combat ability, exceptional use of a single skill, special ability that doesn't really work...

Yep.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-04, 12:08 PM
Fighter = superman

Because both get "pwned" by magic.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-04, 12:10 PM
I'm tempted to say Robin for Monk. But Robin is often useful a lot of the time.

... Alfred maybe? Jimmy Olsen? Lois Lane?

Druid should probably be Superman.
Cleric can be Green Lantern.
Fighter one of the ones I suggested for Monk, but after having taken a single karate class.

I can't come up with anything suitably cynical for the other classes.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-04, 12:12 PM
Fighter = The Tick (low int!)

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-04, 12:12 PM
Bard - Val Halen, Norse God of ROCK!

...What?

Fighter = The Tick (low int!)

No, no, the Monk is the Tick. Nigh invulnerability is the Monk's thing, after all. You can't kill them.

They can't kill you either, though...

JackMage666
2007-10-04, 12:13 PM
Rogue = Green Lantern. Why? Both rely on magic items more than personal skill.

Tokiko Mima
2007-10-04, 12:24 PM
Warlock would be a weaker Superman. What other class/superhero flies, can turn invisible, teleports, zaps energy beams from a distance, can shatter objects with a word, delivers single attacks against foes with incredible strength, is vulnerable to one specific and rare mineral, is usually very charismatic, and does all this an unlimited number of times in a day?

Telonius
2007-10-04, 01:00 PM
Martian Manhunter, maybe? Though he's much more lawful than chaotic.

Zim
2007-10-04, 01:13 PM
Superman is more of a Paladin type IMO. Only, y'know he is actually useful in a fight. :smallamused:

Invader Zim: Artificer -he even has a hominoculous!

I once played a cleric of Shevarash (sp?) who was like Green Arrow mixed with Batman. Lots of trick arrows and battlefield control spells. That, and all angsty and broody.

Dairun Cates
2007-10-04, 01:16 PM
Superman is more of a Paladin type IMO. Only, y'know he is actually useful in a fight. :smallamused:

Don't make me sic my Captain Falcon Paladin Build on you.

Zim
2007-10-04, 01:25 PM
He's no match for my Bad Bad Rubber Piggy or Room with a Moose!:smalltongue:

Dairun Cates
2007-10-04, 01:31 PM
He's no match for my Bad Bad Rubber Piggy or Room with a Moose!:smalltongue:

That depends. Is the Piggy or Moose evil? If not, then we'll just have to stick with the knee instead of the Full Falcon Punch. And can your build effectively do this around level 15?

FALCON PUNCH! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw)

Winterwind
2007-10-04, 01:33 PM
One could also just counter with Bologna. Much more effective. :smallwink:

Dairun Cates
2007-10-04, 01:45 PM
One could also just counter with Bologna. Much more effective. :smallwink:

Can't we compromise and just strap bologna to my fist?

Telonius
2007-10-04, 01:48 PM
Blue Falcon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Falcon) could be an Artificer. Dyno-mutt is kind of a goofy version of that robo-dog homunculus.

Zim
2007-10-04, 02:14 PM
That depends. Is the Piggy or Moose evil? If not, then we'll just have to stick with the knee instead of the Full Falcon Punch. And can your build effectively do this around level 15?

FALCON PUNCH! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw)

Fooooool! It's a room...with a MOOSE! Mwah! Hah! Hah, Hah, Haaaaaaa!

Seriously, don't care about character challenges at any level. Nobody can be an effective fighter anyway if their brain has been replaced with a rubber piggy sqeaky toy, so it would not be a fair fight. :smallwink:

Just Alex
2007-10-04, 02:26 PM
Bah, limiting yourself to X-Men sorely impedes the cool Marvel characters

Initiate of the 7 fold Veil: Karolina Dean, aka Lucy (in the sky)- Runaways
Druid: Any Super Skrull, though the good ones are pretty much limited to Xavin
Monk: Machine Man. Seriously, read Next Wave and it'll all make sense

EDIT: Spelling

Rex Blunder
2007-10-04, 02:47 PM
I think monks should be The Flash. Great movement speed, but once they get there, they can't do much of anything.

kpenguin
2007-10-04, 04:54 PM
Samurai = Aquaman

Yes, you do. Aquaman is a very, very, powerful character. Samurai is generally accepted to be competing with Monk and Soul Knife to be the worst class.

Dairun Cates
2007-10-04, 04:56 PM
Fooooool! It's a room...with a MOOSE! Mwah! Hah! Hah, Hah, Haaaaaaa!

Seriously, don't care about character challenges at any level. Nobody can be an effective fighter anyway if their brain has been replaced with a rubber piggy sqeaky toy, so it would not be a fair fight. :smallwink:

Pssssh. You don't need an int score to Falcon Punch. Matter of fact, it's often contradictory to it.

MeklorIlavator
2007-10-04, 04:57 PM
Yes, you do. Aquaman is a very, very, powerful character. Samurai is generally accepted to be competing with Monk and Soul Knife to be the worst class.

How about Super Friends Aquaman?

WitchSlayer
2007-10-04, 05:34 PM
I think monks should be The Flash. Great movement speed, but once they get there, they can't do much of anything.

Hey man, don't underestimate the flash. At least the flash can punch while running at super speed.

Also I think Bard is the Preacher
Monk is Mr. Immortal
Gray Guard is the Punisher.

Collin152
2007-10-04, 06:33 PM
Cleric: Proffeser Xavier; his greatest potential is ignored most of the time, instead focusing on helping the less-able at pwning. In most groups, anyways.

Bassetking
2007-10-04, 08:24 PM
Divine Power, Righteous Might, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Divine Favor and DMM Persists?

"You're making me.... Holy. You wouldn't like me when I'm... Holy..."

Yes.

Cleric = Hulk

Hectonkhyres
2007-10-04, 09:15 PM
Monk is Mr. Immortal.
Lets hear it for the Great Lakes Avengers.
Hmm. If played right, that might be a valid reason to play a monk. But, in any case, it would have to be taken to to truely insane levels.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-04, 09:22 PM
I would have to say:

Ranger or Scout: Green Arrow

horseboy
2007-10-04, 10:18 PM

"My aquatic telepathy is of no use, Wonder Woman!" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.WhatKindOfLamePowerisHeartAnyway)

Though I still vote Aquaman=monk, only good by DM fiat.

Collin152
2007-10-04, 11:24 PM
Now please remember, this isn't a power-Class feature thing, is more of usefulness. As such, it annoys me to no end when Green Arrow gets brought up.
Ranger:Spider-Man

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-05, 04:26 AM
Fighter = Beast

Hey now. Beast has skills, intelligence, and agility. Beast is more like a Thief Acrobat-infused Wizard(Science=Magic).

Drider
2007-10-05, 05:30 PM

http://seanbaby.com/superfriends/aquaman.htm

kpenguin
2007-10-05, 06:30 PM
That's Super Friends Aquaman. We're not talking about Super Friends Batman when we're comparing the caped crusader to wizards, so we shouldn't use Aquaman in that horrible, horrible cartoon.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 06:43 PM
That's right. A baby can probably defeat the whole super friends alone.

Now, comic aquaman, that's better. Superstrength, intelligent, some kind of Epic Leadership...that sounds tasty, even if it ain't the only superhero who earned the title without superpowers (Batman, it is).

Collin152
2007-10-05, 07:00 PM
Fact remains that everything Aquaman does, someone else does better, unless it involves fish. And that's just disgusting.

Matthew
2007-10-06, 08:03 AM
I thought of one for the Cleric eventually - Iron Man. Absolutely amazing as long as his suit is powered, after which he's not up to much.

Emperor Demonking
2007-10-06, 12:50 PM
I agree with Green arrow= ranger
Thier both range combatants who can do sifferent attacks with thier range weapon.
I especially agree with Monk= mr immortal.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-06, 12:56 PM
Soulborn and Incarnate: The Wonder Twins.

Also, the Totemist should probably be Wolverine.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-06, 01:36 PM
Fact remains that everything Aquaman does, someone else does better, unless it involves fish. And that's just disgusting.
Just from that description, sounds like a Bard to me. Or possibly a Monk.

Collin152
2007-10-06, 02:29 PM
Monk, as I see it. He can't do everything, and what he does do, he isn't very good at.