PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build advice for an investigative journalist in Eberron

PiggDaddy
2019-05-11, 02:55 AM
I'm making a new character for an upcoming 5e Eberron Campaign with a heavy dose of fantasy noire and wanted some advice on the characters build. My character is going to be a NG Half-Elf Inquisitive who works as an investigative journalist, very much a man of the people type. Or at least, that's what the other players will think at first. In reality, my character is a NE Mystic Changing who's true passion is being manipulative serial killer who stalks the street by night, and manipulates the press by day.

The DM is totally on board and we have talked out the logistics of my character and how he operates in the world, but I'm having trouble figuring out the mechanical details. I have already rolled for my stats on got very lucky (18,16,14,13,10,7) and I figure I'm going to dump wisdom since it fits the character, even though it generally not a good dump stat. I'd also like his charisma to be relatively good, at least good enough that he can reliably deceive those around him. Beyond that though I'm not sure, what proficiencies should I have? What background best fits the character? How should I build the mystic? I'm fairly new to the class but I like the idea of a build that is focus both on subtle utility to make him seem like a rogue inquisitive, albiet a poorly optimized one, but also some unsettling supernatural abilities that I can start to sprinkle in as the other players begin to clue in that things are not what they seem.

Obviously I'd like a relatively playable character, but my focus isn't on optimization or combat efficiency. Btw, we are starting at level 2 but the campaign is planed to about level 6.