PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Tempest Breath metabreath feat DC

heavyfuel
2019-05-11, 09:42 AM
I asked about this in the RAW Q&A but got no answer, so I'm bringing it to the actual forum:

The Tempest Breath feat allows creatures to add wind effects to their breath weapon, which are resisted by a Fortitude save. Is the DC for this save based on the wind effect in question, or on the breath weapon itself?

At first I thought the DC was based on the wind effect, but now I'm not sure. Here's the relevant rules quote

Dragons (and other creatures) have developed ways to control their breath weapons to produce varying degrees of effects, from the subtle to the conspicuous. [...]

Effects of Metabreath Feats: In all ways, a meta breath weapon operates in its usual fashion unless the feat specifically changes some aspect of the breath weapon.

Such breath weapons allow a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + 1/2 breathing creature’s racial HD + breathing creature’s Con modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). Some breath weapons allow a Fortitude save or a Will save instead of a Reflex save.

The feat doesn't specifically say you use the DCs for wind effects, only that the creatures suffer them. So, the metabreath feat affects the breath weapon and, therefore, the DCs (even a Fort DC), should be based on the breath weapon's DC.

Yes? No?

Thanks!

Rijan_Sai
2019-05-11, 03:43 PM
Looks like the that’s right: it would be the breath DC.