PDA

View Full Version : Help stating out TMNT's

Benejeseret
2007-10-04, 11:37 AM
HI

I ran across the tortle race the other day and now need to come up with stats for the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

So the challenge is on.

Make the TMNT all around lvl 5 with splinter around lvl 10

4 Tortles(turtle-like
humanoids)(DR315 p72)
+2 Con+2 Wis–2 Dex–2 ChaCleric • Medium Size• 20’ Movement• Swim 10’
• +8 Racial bonus on Swim checks• Humanoid (tortle)• Low-Light Vision
• +3 Natural Armor bonus to AC

I am thinking level 5

3 monk/2 artificer using a quaterstaff - Donatello
likes to build gadgets but still proficient with a bo, though non-combative.

5 ninja using sais - Raphael
Straight ninja, aggressive

2 ninja/3 swashbuckler - Mikey
Dual weilds nunchaku with the Shield of 'Blades' swashbuckler varient

???? - Leonardo
I have trouble fitting leo into a clear class. He is the best fighter (thus maybe fighter) but I am leaning towards knight or some marshal/fighter variant.

Splinter - need a race...maybe a were-rat?? around ECL 10 levels of monk or some such

Kurald Galain
2007-10-04, 12:20 PM
As I don't recall Splinter ever doing anything much other than giving advice, why is he five levels higher than the turtles, as opposed to, say, three levels lower? Also, I don't recall him transforming into anything, so he's probably not a were-rat.

Amiria
2007-10-04, 12:20 PM
For Splinter: The Nezumi from Oriental Adventures are a race of anthropomorphic rats. You can find info about them in this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-449345). They don't have RHD or LA.

Dubie
2007-10-04, 12:24 PM
I'd use a Wererat for Splinter.

Fighter would work for Leonardo. Maybe a variant where there is some kind of code of ethics attached. Give him high charasima and some leadership type skills/feats. (He would make a good Paladin, if you take away the Holy warrior fluff and Divine spellcasting

From the Cartoon and Movies I remember (Been Years), Raphial is probaly a little more fighter and a little less Ninja. (maybe even a touch Barbarian, judging by his freakout in the first movie, where he basicly went into a rage and beat the snot out of wave after wave of level 1 Footclan "Monks" until being overwhelmed.

Everyone else seems fine.

Edit: Well, wererats don't nesicarily need to have the ability to transform. Just keep him in wererat form the whole time. But if there actualy is a Rat-Race somewhere (no pun intended), use that ;p

Also, I've always seen Spinter as the retired adventurer/mentor type. And he did throw shreder off off a rooftop and into a dump truck, after he beat the turtles soundly.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-04, 12:31 PM
There's a turtalian race in Sandstorm, of all places, that'd probably be a good fit.

Jayabalard
2007-10-04, 12:40 PM
From the Cartoon and Movies I remember (Been Years), Raphial is probaly a little more fighter and a little less Ninja. (maybe even a touch Barbarian, judging by his freakout in the first movie, where he basicly went into a rage and beat the snot out of wave after wave of level 1 Footclan "Monks" until being overwhelmed.Somehow, I'm not so sure they'd be level 1.

The TMNT have faired pretty well against the foot in general, and as mooks go they're pretty tough:
Foot are trained since birth, and aren't allowed to meet the opposite sex or play any games that won't improve their training until it is complete. Oroku Saki's dead father explains it in a flashback somewhere. The US Foot aren't as long, since they're a newer chapter. However, Splinter's Elite and Karai's foot, both of whom get beaten around without much effort by the Turtles, are members of the former group.

Dubie
2007-10-04, 12:43 PM
Well, maybe not level 1. But I suppose monks don't need to be level 1 to have their back-sides handed to them...;p

Benejeseret
2007-10-04, 12:44 PM
Splinter is definitely a few levels higher than the turtles. He actually was a ninja master as a rat BEFORE the transformation.

He is like master yoda, small, old, walks with a cane, and can kick BBEG arse soundly.

He usually doesn't ever do anything because he doesn't need to...he's just that good.

I agree on Raphial, barbarian in the mix most defiantly. He is still very sneaky, likes to scout out alone...so perhaps barbarian/rogue going toward barbarian/avenger/rogue.

Leonardo fighter it is, although I think a few levels of Marshal as well to round out the leadership qualities. Perhaps he could be a level higher as well (lvl6) to represent the older brother/leader role.

Just Alex
2007-10-04, 12:51 PM
I'd base it on the comics. That way, you don't have to bother with splinter and the racial cha penalty makes sense. The only well-adjusted member of the turtles is Mike. In fact, I'd see him as being the one with levels in Marshall or Bard. Raph would likely be a Scout/Barbarian building up towards pounce and rend. Leonardo would probably be building straight Rogue with TWF sneak attack goodness. You're probably right on Donatello with the artificer, though I see him more as a rogue or fighter rather than monk.

EDIT: Also, if I remember right, TMNT was originally done as a parody of Daredevil and other grim comics of the 80's.
After Splinter dies, I think Michaelangelo is the only one to maintain a definite "good" alignment. Heck, Raphael definitely goes to Chaotic Neutral with Evil Curious tendencies.

Telonius
2007-10-04, 01:06 PM
Splinter is definitely a few levels higher than the turtles. He actually was a ninja master as a rat BEFORE the transformation.

He is like master yoda, small, old, walks with a cane, and can kick BBEG arse soundly.

He usually doesn't ever do anything because he doesn't need to...he's just that good.

I agree on Raphial, barbarian in the mix most defiantly. He is still very sneaky, likes to scout out alone...so perhaps barbarian/rogue going toward barbarian/avenger/rogue.

Leonardo fighter it is, although I think a few levels of Marshal as well to round out the leadership qualities. Perhaps he could be a level higher as well (lvl6) to represent the older brother/leader role.

Leadership at lvl 6 would make sense. Would that make Casey Jones his cohort?

Dairun Cates
2007-10-04, 01:11 PM
(He would make a good Paladin, if you take away the Holy warrior fluff and Divine spellcasting)

Has anyone actually read the entire entry on Paladins or are we just going purely on stereotypes now? It says directly in the religion section that a Paladin doesn't actually have to worship a God. They can just be a righteous champion of good who took up a greater cause. As for the spellcasting, the spells Paladins learn are so integrated into their ideal that it's not unheard of to say that Leonardo would know some of them. I don't think there's an issue with him dealing extra damage to evil, being protected from evil, inspiring his team, or taking damage for one of his teammates, is there?

Benejeseret
2007-10-04, 02:15 PM
I have a very hard time slotting Leo as a straight rogue. You are right he is not exactly 'charismatic' the way mikey is...but he is the leader and offers the tactics etc to the troop. (troop? Pod? what is a group of turtles called?). I do like the paladin feel for Leo....is there a oriental version of the paladin in dnd?

So far we have (and I think they all need to keep some stealthyness overall, I wish the oriental ninja type class was better...I suppose a fluffed rogue it is then)

Raph - 3Barbarian/2scout
Don - 3Artificer/2monk or 3artificer/2rogue
Mikey - 2marshal/3rogue or 2bard/3rogue
Leo - 5Paladin/1kensai

Dubie
2007-10-04, 02:44 PM
Allright, I take back the holy warrior bit, as it is more steriotype then actual rules :smallredface: ...And I suppose there is nothing wrong with D&D TMNT's having spells...

Draz74
2007-10-04, 04:11 PM
I say make all four of them Swordsages. With different feat/maneuver selections to make them different from each other.

Benejeseret
2007-10-04, 04:17 PM
I was waiting for someone to say swordsage...

It seems every thread I ever read about anything someone says be a swordsage or warblade....hehehehe. Being a ToB noob I often get the impression these two make all other builds obsolete.

Short answer, no. I do not have ToB and so no swordsage.

Draz74
2007-10-04, 04:37 PM
Well, the thing is that they're so customizable compared to earlier classes. I don't even care about the power level (for things like simulating TMNT). I just think using Tome of Battle stuff makes them have so much more ... individuality.

And you can find descriptions of all the maneuvers online, which gives you a pretty good idea of how a Tome of Battle build can be made. (Although I admit, I myself don't know exactly how many maneuvers a Swordsage knows at each level.)

Swordsage was my suggestion over warblade because it goes best with the "Ninja" part of TMNT, and the quasi-martial-artist, weird-weapons (in some cases) style of the TMNT.

averagejoe
2007-10-04, 04:42 PM
Nonono. They're obviously strong/fast/tough heroes, with a bit of smart (Donnie) thrown in for good measure. They live in New York, not feudal Japan. :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2007-10-04, 11:48 PM
...but still proficient with a bo...You need Monk levels for that? Last I checked, absolutely every class, ever has proficiency with the quarterstaff.

Hallavast
2007-10-04, 11:57 PM
I agree with the sword sages Idea. With Master splinter perhaps being a higher level NPC class. I'd also urge you to consider the following:

Raphael and Leonardo are seemingly more powerful than Don and Mikey. I'd make them both a level or two higher.

As far as alignment:

Leo: Lawful Good (standard upright leader type)
Don: Neutral Good (always thinking about what's good for everyone)
Mikey: Chaotic Good (not much order to this one's spirit, but he has a heart of gold)
Raphael: Chaotic Angry (has a real problem with authority. Sometimes he just blows people off because he can't stand them, but he generally pulls through when he's needed and cares about people to a particular degree). I'd put him in the chaotic good camp, but he definately exhibits some chaotic neutral tendancies.

woc33
2007-10-05, 05:36 AM
If you want a turtle race there is a race called crucian (i believe it's in the miniHB).

I did a TMNT encounter once, i made them all monks and gave leonardo a homebrew feat that lets him flurry with his swords. it was a pretty fun fight really. and Ironically, i made them CR 5 or 6 :smallbiggrin: .

i also homebrew their treasure, and gave them the following item:
P-sa box (murlynd's spoon, 5400 gp), special: the box creates pizza when a word is spoken.

Khanderas
2007-10-05, 07:43 AM
Splinter, being a Master Ninja should naturally have a high level, certainly higher then the turtle quartet.
However, he is not young anymore and has a cane. It seems fair to assume he got less Str/Dex then he used to but above all quite the con penalty. He problebly can kick some ass, but not for long, age would tire him out and that is why he can teach the turtles, win short sparring matches with ease, but don't do any real fighting anymore.