PDA

View Full Version : Kalashtar OP under noticed race?

Setharious
2019-05-11, 05:24 PM
Since bumping into the Kalashtar race, it has easily become my favorite race. It can do many things and fill many roles. With it's Mind Link ability to telepathically communicate with any creature than understands a single language, and the ability Psychic Glamour to have advantage on all persuasion checks, they could be a great diplomat, especially as in world they look extremely similar to humans.

The second thing I noticed was their Mental Discipline ability, to have resistance to psychic damage. Nothing super fantastic on the surface, but you could combine it with totem of the bear barbarian to have resistance to all forms of damage while raging, and use Psychic Glamour to have advantage on all intimidation checks instead.

When I talked about these ideas to my DM, they banned this race. They allowed other races from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, but not this one. They disliked the idea of 'breaking the game at level one.'

So this brings up my question, how many people knew of this race, as I found it by chance and had never heard of anyone talking about it before. Since no one was talking about it, but my DM banned it, was it just not brought out into the light yet, or is it in fact too strong so no one talks about it because no DMs want to play with it?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-05-11, 05:36 PM
It's not OP, not even close in fact. I'd question why your DM would look at the Kalashtar as the most powerful race in WGtE rather than the Warforged. Warforged are capable of walking out of lvl 1 character creation with an AC of 20, which is quite difficult seeing as Plate Armor (1500gp) is normally required.

Yes it's pretty decent, that much can't be denied, but it's nothing you can't achieve as a (just as an example) Half Elf warlock while having all of the benefits of being a Half Elf on top of it.

Lunali
2019-05-11, 05:40 PM
Under noticed yes, but I wouldn't call them OP. It's rare that you'll want both wis and cha over 13 (where point buy gets more expensive) so at least one of the stats will likely be wasted. Psychic damage isn't nearly as common as the fire resist that tieflings get. Psychic glamour is useful, but its power is greatly dependent on what the DM considers reasonable for a cha check. Dual mind is a rather nice ability, especially for classes that are lacking in wis saves, but it does cost your reaction which may have already been used. They get no skill or weapon proficiencies and no darkvision.

Setharious
2019-05-11, 05:41 PM
Yes it's pretty decent, that much can't be denied, but it's nothing you can't achieve as a (just as an example) Half Elf warlock while having all of the benefits of being a Half Elf on top of it.

Well one thing my DM disliked is that you could get the Great Old One patron lvl 1 ability, but better. Instead of 30 feet, you get 60 feet, and the creature you are talking to has the ability to respond, unlike what the patron gives you.

Merudo
2019-05-11, 05:43 PM
Kalashtar is indeed a very strong race, especially for the Moon Druid. I'd say it is preferable to the Ghostwise Halfling: you get a better speed, advantage on Wisdom checks as a reaction, advantage on all checks with one social skill, and resistance to psychic damage.

You lose out on the +2 Dex & on Lucky/Brave/Nimble, but those abilities aren't that valuable.

JNAProductions
2019-05-11, 08:02 PM
Kalashtar is indeed a very strong race, especially for the Moon Druid. I'd say it is preferable to the Ghostwise Halfling: you get a better speed, advantage on Wisdom checks as a reaction, advantage on all checks with one social skill, and resistance to psychic damage.

You lose out on the +2 Dex & on Lucky/Brave/Nimble, but those abilities aren't that valuable.

Depends what you want to do.

Lucky is hella good, Brave is VERY handy to have (and, coincidentally, are usually Wisdom saves) and Nimble... Yeah, that's okay.

Plus, better speed matters not when you're in animal form.

Lunali
2019-05-11, 08:39 PM
Well one thing my DM disliked is that you could get the Great Old One patron lvl 1 ability, but better. Instead of 30 feet, you get 60 feet, and the creature you are talking to has the ability to respond, unlike what the patron gives you.

That feature isn't actually all that powerful, and if you're talking range, message does even better.

Chronos
2019-05-12, 07:22 AM
Not only is psychic damage very uncommon, but of those few things that do cause it, they mostly cause very little, and are mostly used for some other effect. With Vicious Mockery, you mostly don't care about the damage, you care about the disadvantage on the next attack. With Dissonant Whispers, you mostly don't care about the damage, you care about the fleeing. With Phantasmal Force, you mostly don't care about the damage, you care about making the target think something is there. About the only thing I can think of that does enough psychic damage that you'd care about resistance is mind flayers, and that's pretty niche... and besides, if I am fighting mindflayers, I'd much rather be a gnome for the advantage on mental saves.

Nhorianscum
2019-05-12, 08:36 AM
Since bumping into the Kalashtar race, it has easily become my favorite race. It can do many things and fill many roles. With it's Mind Link ability to telepathically communicate with any creature than understands a single language, and the ability Psychic Glamour to have advantage on all persuasion checks, they could be a great diplomat, especially as in world they look extremely similar to humans.

The second thing I noticed was their Mental Discipline ability, to have resistance to psychic damage. Nothing super fantastic on the surface, but you could combine it with totem of the bear barbarian to have resistance to all forms of damage while raging, and use Psychic Glamour to have advantage on all intimidation checks instead.

When I talked about these ideas to my DM, they banned this race. They allowed other races from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, but not this one. They disliked the idea of 'breaking the game at level one.'

So this brings up my question, how many people knew of this race, as I found it by chance and had never heard of anyone talking about it before. Since no one was talking about it, but my DM banned it, was it just not brought out into the light yet, or is it in fact too strong so no one talks about it because no DMs want to play with it?

It is a strong race, but the dragonmarked houses and warforged sorta dominate OP discussions for the setting in question. I like Sorcerer/Cleric blends quite a bit and Kalashtar work well with that setup sI I have run one before. They're fun and pretty reasonably balanced in setting.

DarkKnightJin
2019-05-13, 12:07 AM
I had a Kalashtar Sorcerer in a (3-parter) one-shot. He wasn't nearly as OP as your DM seems to think it is. In fact, that was the only character death in the whole thing.

That was probably more the Sorcerer bit than Kalashtar, but still. And I even gave an NPC a Ring of Mind Shielding. Though that was because it was the BBEG in disguise, and he didn't want people poking him in the brain like that.
Which led to some fun things, because this Sorcerer didn't actually speak. They used Subtle Spell every time they cast a spell with a Verbal Component.

It was quite fun.

But no, I don't think the Kalashtar are as OP as your DM seems to think, and knee-jerked into banning them.
Then again, I don't outright ban racial flight at my tables either, so..