PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Amber amulet of vermin can i use it?

Tiano
2019-05-11, 06:26 PM
Amber Amulet of Vermin (All)
Magic Item
(Magic Item Compendium, p. 68)

Body Slot: Throat
Caster Level: None
Aura: None;
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: — lb.

This irregularly shaped piece of natural amber is fastened at the end of a long golden chain. Within the amber a tiny creature still seems to twitch.

This item summons a giant vermin that appears and obeys your commands for 1 minute (as if summoned by summon nature's ally). At the end of this duration, the creature vanishes. Eight varieties of the amber amulet of vermin exist (see the table for the details of each version). An amber amulet of vermin works once per day.

I'm a barbarian and need a cheap backup to supplement my fight cause im the only one in the front row right now. the question is can i use it? my dm's (they are three) the two of them say that they are not sure if i can use it because of this phrase (as if summoned by summon nature's ally) which means it only fits for divination category (druids, clerics). i dont agree with them because it does specifically mention any restrictions. can someone clarify me with my question cause i cant find anywhere an exact answer. also the summon is instant or it takes a turn to arrive like the druids summon?

Falontani
2019-05-11, 06:43 PM
You can use it just like you can use an item of spell storing. The spell is stored in the item, and you may activate the item.

(Ala necklace of fireballs)

You may not activate it while raging however.

Thurbane
2019-05-11, 06:45 PM
There is not casting requirement to activate the item. It is a Command word activation item, not a Spell Trigger or Spell Completion item. There is no requirement to be a caster to use this item: the SNA reference is merely defining the effect the item produces. I suggest your DMs read the relevant sections on activating magic items.

Command Word
If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

Tiano
2019-05-12, 03:24 AM
thank you for your quick replies. but my second question is unanswered. is it activated instantly and played or it takes a full round?

Troacctid
2019-05-12, 03:34 AM
The creature appears instantly the turn you activate it. This is because the activation time is a standard action, not a full round. (Any effect that reduces the casting time of a summon spell, like a chronocharm of the uncaring archmage, would have the same benefit.)

Tiano
2019-05-12, 03:39 AM
thank you very much all for your help sorry for the silly questions im trying to learn :smallsmile: