PDA

View Full Version : Nigh Unkillable NPC as a scion for an All-Powerful God

Archwarden
2019-05-11, 07:03 PM
So, I am running a campaign for some friends and I am wanting to throw a nearly unkillable guardian/scion of an BBEG at my party to make them havr to scratch their heads. I could use a Tarrasque, but I would prefer a humanoid.

I was wondering if this character is unkillable by everything other than Supernatural spells. I am currently planning on making him a Lumi Cleric/Bone Knight with a Vow of Poverty, Bind Vestige, and a Dragonflesh Half-Golem Template.

This should make him immune to all death effects, immune to all nonlethal damage (vow of poverty regeneratiom makes all damage nonlethal) and immune to magic and aging.

I dont want him to be truly unkillable, but only very difficult to kill. Is this character as unkillable as I think he is?

Biggus
2019-05-11, 07:52 PM
immune to all nonlethal damage (vow of poverty regeneratiom makes all damage nonlethal)

Where are you getting this from? All I can see that VoP Regeneration says about nonlethal damage is "Nonlethal damage heals at a rate of 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes".

JNAProductions
2019-05-11, 07:56 PM
Look up the Emerald Legion. Now THAT'S something that's nigh-unkillable.

Mnemius
2019-05-11, 08:13 PM
Invoke the mystical power of the Lady of Pain and don't give it stats!

Or... there is always... Dun dun dun! PLOT ARMOR! This invisible, weightless, superior quality armor protects against EVERYTHING! Warning, maybe have an overly specific vulnerability, please guard said information carefully.

Maat Mons
2019-05-11, 08:24 PM
The tainted-blood template (Bestiary of Krynn) gives immunity to acid damage. It's +1 CR for large creatures and also +1 LA. It can be added to any corporeal creature with a constitution score.

The Imix-blooded template (Monster Manual V) gives immunity to fire damage by way of the fire subtype. It's +1 CR and also +1 LA. It can be applied to any evil creature.

The gheden template (Dragon 313, p63) gives immunity to nonlethal damage. It's +1 LA but doesn't note a CR adjustment. It can be applied to any giant, humanoid, of monstous humanoid.

The troll-blooded feat (Dragon 319, p61) gives regeneration 1 overcome by acid and fire. It can only be taken at 1st level and requires the toughness feat. It's also a regional feat for the Greyhawk campaign setting.

Archwarden
2019-05-11, 08:37 PM
I believe the Regeneration1 of VoP is identical to the Regeneration1 that trolls have. So it should also convert all damage to non-lethal damage like the troll Regeneration1. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I want to avoid using the Emerald Legion if I can. Also, it is not a Greyhawk campaign unfortunately, but I might use a troll-blooded character instead.

JNAProductions
2019-05-11, 08:40 PM
VoP regen isn’t real regen.

It’s just slightly faster natural healing.

Archwarden
2019-05-11, 09:05 PM
I see you are correct. Troll-blooded it is! Now I have to decide on a new race that would have access to troll-blooded. To the drawing board! Thanks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-05-11, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the standing ruling on being immune to nonlethal damage with regeneration is that you take all damage types as normal damage instead of nonlethal. A creature with regeneration still receives damage, but they treat the damage they've received as nonlethal. If you're not able to treat it as nonlethal, it doesn't mean you're immune to taking damage, it means it just stays as normal damage as though you didn't have regeneration.

JNAProductions
2019-05-11, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the standing ruling on being immune to nonlethal damage with regeneration is that you take all damage types as normal damage instead of nonlethal. A creature with regeneration still receives damage, but they treat the damage they've received as nonlethal. If you're not able to treat it as nonlethal, it doesn't mean you're immune to taking damage, it means it just stays as normal damage as though you didn't have regeneration.

That sounds like a sensible houserule. Pretty sure it ain't RAW though.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-05-11, 09:32 PM
If you're willing to wait a bit, the current Villainous Competition is on builds designed to shut down everything the heroes can do.

Archwarden
2019-05-11, 09:36 PM

There's no way I would let a PC have this combination. I specifially want it to make one NPC only killable via a few very specific methods/weaknesses. So I want it overpowered, but i appreciate the info.

Maat Mons
2019-05-11, 10:23 PM
Phthisic

CR 6
Regeneration overcome by acid and fire damage
+12 str, +2 dex, +10 con, +6 wis, +6 cha

Monster of Legend

+2 CR
Spellcasting as a 5th-level Cleric
Immunity to acid damage and mind-affecting effects
Fire subtype (immunity to fire damage)
+10 str, +6 dex, +2 int, +2 wis, +4 cha

Cleric 3

+3 CR
+3 levels of Cleric casting

Bone Knight 4

+4 CR
Immunity to nonlethal damage

That's a pretty basic Ikea tarrasque that clocks in at CR 15 with the spellcasting of an 11th-level Cleric.

Buufreak
2019-05-11, 10:50 PM
The other big hitch I'm seeing with vop is your cleric wont be able to own a holy symbol, as they have cash value.

Archwarden
2019-05-11, 11:06 PM
The other big hitch I'm seeing with vop is your cleric wont be able to own a holy symbol, as they have cash value.

I can carve it into the Bone Armor thankfully.

Re: Nigh Unkillable NPC as a scion for an All-Powerful God

Phthisic
CR 6
Regeneration overcome by acid and fire damage
+12 str, +2 dex, +10 con, +6 wis, +6 cha

Monster of Legend
+2 CR
Spellcasting as a 5th-level Cleric
Immunity to acid damage and mind-affecting effects
Fire subtype (immunity to fire damage)
+10 str, +6 dex, +2 int, +2 wis, +4 cha

Cleric 3
+3 CR

Bone Knight 4
+4 CR
Immunity to nonlethal damage

That's a pretty basic Ikea tarrasque that clocks in at CR 15 with the spellcasting of an 11th-level Cleric.

This is super helpful, thanks!