PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Narya, Vilya, and Venya

HamsterKun
2019-05-11, 07:09 PM
I need help making three magic rings based off of the three Elven rings from LotR.

Narya, the Ring of Fire
Vilya, the Ring of Air
Venya, the Ring of Water

theVoidWatches
2019-05-11, 07:51 PM
It would be easy to pick out a few spells for them to each cast based on the element, but remember that their powers are metaphorical more than physical.

Narya inspires the flame of hope within others, so along with Control Flames, Produce Flames, and maybe the bonus of adding your proficiency bonus in fire damage to an attack or spell once per turn, it should give you some uses of Bardic Inspiration - say, d8 inspiration dice equal to your proficiency bonus (scaling off of proficiency representing how the powerful get greater benefit from the Rings). This will leave you with fewer dice than a bard for most of the game, and by the end you have more dice but they're smaller, so the Bard is still able to shine.

Vilya's powers aren't really elaborated on but is probably for healing. Along with Gust, Thunderclap, and maybe the bonus of immunity to fall damage, it should give you Lay on Hands - say, 3 points per level (you don't want to overshadow paladins, after all).

Nenya, like Vilya, has unclear powers, but they're probably concealment powers. Along with Shape Water, Frostbite, and probably a swim speed and the ability to breath underwater, it should give you some castings of Pass Without Trace, and maybe also let you Hide as a bonus action.

If you're not actually doing a Middle-Earth campaign, maybe consider adding in a Ring of Earth? With Inspiration, Healing, and Concealment covered, the Ring of Earth is probably for Protection. I would say Mold Earth, Magic Stone, -2 damage from nonmagical damage, and maybe the ability to cast Shield on others a couple times a day?

HamsterKun
2019-05-11, 09:42 PM
Narya inspires the flame of hope within others, so along with Control Flames, Produce Flames, and maybe the bonus of adding your proficiency bonus in fire damage to an attack or spell once per turn, it should give you some uses of Bardic Inspiration - say, d8 inspiration dice equal to your proficiency bonus (scaling off of proficiency representing how the powerful get greater benefit from the Rings). This will leave you with fewer dice than a bard for most of the game, and by the end you have more dice but they're smaller, so the Bard is still able to shine.

“d8 inspiration dice equal to your proficiency bonus?” I need clarification.

theVoidWatches
2019-05-11, 09:55 PM
Inspiration dice that work just like Bardic Inspiration, which are d8s, and you have a number of them equal to your proficiency bonus.

HamsterKun
2019-05-11, 10:02 PM
I see. Thank you.

P.S. I thought of an Elvish name for the Ring of Earth, and came up with Coeya.

BWR
2019-05-25, 02:07 PM
What's wrong with just refluffing the Rings of Elemental Command to be unique items? Possibly adding an extra power or so, since they suck in 5e.

I
Venya,

That's 'Nenya', actually.
Incidentally what a friend of mine and his wife called their first kid. The second is Vilya. They're trying to convince her son from her first marriage to take one for the team and add Narya as an additional name.