PDA

View Full Version : Hook Swords?????

Nosta
2019-05-12, 08:02 AM
Do they exist in 5e and if so What would be a good build that could take Advantage of them

Looking at doing a level 7 build with them as my main weapons

Damon_Tor
2019-05-12, 08:12 AM
Nope.

If I were you I'd go battlemaster and just make like the tripping and disarming and repositioning of the enemy is being done with the hooks of the swords.

Sindeloke
2019-05-12, 08:32 AM
If you wanted to homebrew them, I'd go with
hook sword: 1d6, light, slashing, martial
connected hook sword: 1d6, reach, slashing, martial
special: as an object interaction, you can switch two hook swords into a connected hook sword, or a connected hook sword into two hook swords

It's a bit clumsy but it gets the (imo) most interesting aspect of the weapon across. As Damon mentions, tripping/disarming/shoving can already be done in place of an attack or for BM, as part of an attack, so that seems less necessary to add a specific mechanic for. Although I suppose a BM can take Lunge or whatever it's called to get temporary reach.

Naanomi
2019-05-12, 08:43 AM
I’d call them long swords or short swords with the special trait ‘looks cool’

strangebloke
2019-05-12, 11:17 AM
I’d call them long swords or short swords with the special trait ‘looks cool’

Yeah I'd say short swords.

If you want to make them able to do tricks with the weapons, make the hook swords martial short swords where you can increase the reach for a turn by using a bonus action.

Arkhios
2019-05-12, 01:16 PM
Not sure how five questionmarks adds any value to the question...

However, at first I thought you meant a Khopesh, but I had to be sure and googled it.

Honestly, I'd say the weapon appears like it should function like a sickle does, but perhaps letting the user to choose between dealing slashing or piercing damage.

The hook sword's blade is too flimsy to qualify as a "longsword". Shortsword or Scimitar would be much closer, and the latter is actually even better than Sickle.

Yeah I'd say short swords.

If you want to make them able to do tricks with the weapons, make the hook swords martial short swords where you can increase the reach for a turn by using a bonus action.

Short sword is already a martial weapon.

N810
2019-05-13, 02:53 PM
Jet from Avatar, does some really interesting things with hooked swords. :smallcool:

https://youtu.be/dAl9uCKvuv4

Willie the Duck
2019-05-13, 02:57 PM
There are rules (well, guidance) on refluffing exotic weapons like this (nunchuku being clubs or the like). I'd say that hook swords have no specific need to be anything other than a refluffed existing weapon.

Vogie
2019-05-13, 03:17 PM
where you can increase the reach for a turn by using a bonus action.

I like that. Not too much homebrew, likely magic weapons without a +bonus.

If you want to be Jet from Avatar, I'd go as a Kensei Monk with the Martial Adept feat to grab Trip & Disarm maneuvers, then dip into BMF after level 11.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-13, 03:25 PM
According to the Wikipedia, they use the hook to catch weapons, to trip the target, and can link the swords together to create one long weapon.

1d6, Bonus Action Reach (like someone suggested previously), provides +1 AC when using the Bonus Action to TWF, and knocks target prone on a critical. That'd probably be my solution to getting the full feel of them.