PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warlock Invocations

Great Dragon
2019-05-12, 08:23 AM
(Retry)

Ok. I think that I'm having a hard time figuring this out, and might once again be stuck in 3.x D&D ....

Is there a limit to the number of Invocations that can be active at one time?

I can deal with those Invocations that state that they "cast a spell" (either "at will" or "Y times per day") since you need to keep track of spells with Concentration, and their Duration times.

3.x had it where only one Invocation could be active at a time (Devil's Sight or Ghost Sight) - and only Essence (Agagonizing Blast, etc) and Shape (Eldritch Spear, etc) Invocations could be combined: with a Spell Level limit.

Now, upon reading my (non- errata-updated) PHB, there is nothing saying that this applies: So, as long as the PC has the Invocation, it can be used at any time and all of the Invocations known (Eldritch Sight + Devil's Sight + Witch Sight + Ghost Sight) can be active at once. With only the ones that says "cast ABC spell" having either a Duration or Concentration limit?

I had a thought, and was wondering if it's possible for a Chainlock to use Devil's Sight, etc (and using their own Perception) through their Familiar?

If not allowed by RAW, what would you require to allow this?

I'd like to make it a feat, so that Devil's Sight can be combined with the Voice of the Chain Master Invocation.

I'd call it:

Familiar Bonding
It allows anyone to use their own senses/perception through a familiar.

"Choose either your senses, including Spells and Invocations that affect your senses; or the Familiar's senses - Blindsight/sense, etc: but still using master's Perception."

Is usable by anyone with a Familiar;
But is most effective when used by any Warlock with a Familiar, allowing the ability to use two Invocations that apply to said Familiar.
Chainlocks would be also have an Invisible Familiar: While able to talk through the Familiar anywhere on the same plane.
Or, am I shooting at the Moon, here?

Vs’shtak
2019-05-12, 09:30 AM
In 5e, invocations are treated a lot more like permanent boosts to a character’s ability. Because of this, they are always active. Incidentally, this means that all of the invocations they modify Eldritch Blast, for example, can be used at once. Your combination that you talked about in the post would also be fine, I think.

Segev
2019-05-12, 10:18 AM
Noting in 3e nor 5e says a warlock can’t use multiple invocations at once. Only specific limits in invocations themselves would impose such a condition.

Now, Devil’s Sight is a permanent modifier to your own vision. It does function constantly, with no need to activate or turn it off, and you can use other spells and invocations at the same time. However, seeing through your familiar’s senses uses your familiar’s senses, including all special senses. It shuts down your own. You do not get the benefit of your own devil’s sight.

Imps have a lesser version that says that magical darkness does not impede their darkvision, though, so if your familiar is an imp, you gain that benefit. It still isn’t as good as your Devil’s Sight invocation, which lets you see normally, rather than as in dim lighting and only black and white.

An invocation that lets you use your senses through your familiar doesn’t sound unreasonable.

DrKerosene
2019-05-12, 10:40 AM
You’ve got it right, as far as I can tell. Assuming the Invocation is not basically a spell that requires Concentration, you can stack most of your Invocations in some way.

If your Familiar is an Imp, you don’t need to worry about Devil’s Sight. And I would probably allow a Chainlock to use Invocations through their Familiar, if it made sense. I may split some and say the Warlock understands with Eye Of The Runekeeper, but the Familiar doesn’t, if I think it’ll add some fun to the scenario.

Great Dragon
2019-05-12, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Folks!!

Making a new Invocation sounds ok.

So, the suggested feat would not really be needed? Would allowing that feat to non-Warlocks still be ok? Or would that make it too close to Warlock abilities?

Segev
2019-05-12, 10:50 AM
Eyes of the Rune Keeper actually don’t affect your senses. They affect your understanding of what senses are reporting to you. They work through your familiar’s eyes if you’re using them, your own (obviously), and even eyes borrowed by other spells and invocations, such as the one that lets you ride another humanoid’s senses.