PDA

View Full Version : 2 player party help

Harrysonford
2019-05-12, 12:26 PM
Recently I have tried to stray away from asking others what build to play, especially to compliment my party. But recently I started a campaign with only one other person, and I am torn between two builds.
The campaign is a modern setting in which magic is forbidden and magical creatures are prosecuted. There is a decent amount of modern weapons in this world.
The other player is an open hand monk, we are starting at level 8 and likely ending at a fairly high level.
The two builds I am considering are:
Moon Druid because of control, healing, tanking and overall versatility. Plus I tend to play full casters
And
Swashbuckler rogue, because many have recommended I try playing a martial class, I like the flavor of the build, and I could be the party face (DM said there is a lot of RP opportunity)
The DM said that no matter what party composition we have, he will tailor the campaign so it isn’t any easier or harder, I just can’t decide for the life of me what class to play. Thanks for helping me decide :)

Lunali
2019-05-12, 12:40 PM
Moon druid will likely have problems since even your tanking ability is magical in nature, meaning you're going to have to kill all of your opponents. That may (or may not) result in a better story in the end.

Swashbuckler seems like a waste if the entire party is melee since their biggest advantage is being able to get sneak attack when their friends aren't around.

Personally, I think I would suggest arcane trickster rouge, you still get some magic to aggravate the story, but you can fight decently without it if you're in a situation where you don't want it known. The downside being you won't get the ability to give yourself advantage on your cha checks if you're the face.

CTurbo
2019-05-12, 03:17 PM
Low magic and a decent amount of modern weapons? Honestly I'd build a Battle Master Fighter and just take a couple of face skills and get a 12-14 Cha.

Swashbuckler Rogue would probably be second choice.

Almost no Magic Paladin would be third choice. You literally use every spell slot for smites. The only "magic" you use is Lay on Hands and your Auras.

If you're looking for a more complex build, it would be really fun to play a Sorcerer that leans heavily on Subtle spells. You don't want to be useless in melee so you'd want at least 3 levels of Swashbuckler, 2 levels of Paladin, or 1 level of Fighter. You could use many spells without even drawing attention to yourself. Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to use Booming Blade without being noticed.

Great Dragon
2019-05-13, 01:19 PM
Low magic and a decent amount of modern weapons?

Almost no Magic Paladin would be third choice. You literally use every spell slot for smites. The only "magic" you use is Lay on Hands and your Auras.

This would be interesting, especially since the only real spell that would be needed is Branding Smite, for Radiant Damage. And since that's only used in combat, might not be too noticed.

Since modern Weapons are allowed, ask about Matt Mercer's Gunslinger and then either run that full out, with some RP skills; or combined with the above Paladin.

Harrysonford
2019-05-13, 02:45 PM
This would be interesting, especially since the only real spell that would be needed is Branding Smite, for Radiant Damage. And since that's only used in combat, might not be too noticed.

Since modern Weapons are allowed, ask about Matt Mercer's Gunslinger and then either run that full out, with some RP skills; or combined with the above Paladin.

I think there’s a misunderstanding; the enemies are using the modern weapons, which I thought was worth mentioning due to effects that may be useful against guns (warding wind, wind wall, etc). Also, the party is already being persecuted for being outsiders, even if they don’t use magic, but sneaking/deception can help infiltrate without getting caught, but all that is regardless of how much magic your class uses.

Great Dragon
2019-05-13, 06:37 PM
Ah. I see.

So even Human PCs would get "That's a funny accent! You ain't from 'round 'ere!" treatment.

Harrysonford
2019-05-13, 06:46 PM
Ah. I see.

So even Human PCs would get "That's a funny accent! You ain't from 'round 'ere!" treatment.

Yeah pretty much. Less magic=less chance of getting caught but I’m not too worried about that aspect.

Lunali
2019-05-13, 06:49 PM
I think there’s a misunderstanding; the enemies are using the modern weapons, which I thought was worth mentioning due to effects that may be useful against guns (warding wind, wind wall, etc). Also, the party is already being persecuted for being outsiders, even if they don’t use magic, but sneaking/deception can help infiltrate without getting caught, but all that is regardless of how much magic your class uses.

Well, if the majority of enemies will be using projectiles, I'd be tempted to make a second monk, probably shadow.