PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a pathfinder class

Dankus Memakus
2019-05-12, 01:49 PM
So I haven’t played pathfinder in years and when I did play, I was being helped along the way. Now I have been asked to build a character and come to the table and I’m super overwhelmed. I need help. I’m interested in a few classes and I would like someone to kinda help me out.

First off, I’m playing a dwarf, I love them and it’s not negotiable.

I’m always interested in divine classes and warrior types, I also like the idea of the skald but really I have no clue what I’m doing so I could use help on what classes mesh well with dwarf I guess. Please give me guidance.

Psyren
2019-05-12, 02:33 PM
Skald is a Charisma-based class which Dwarves have a penalty in. Not saying that's a dealbreaker, just something to be aware of going in.

My personal choice, especially given that you like divine warriors, would be a Warpriest.

Dankus Memakus
2019-05-12, 02:41 PM
Skald is a Charisma-based class which Dwarves have a penalty in. Not saying that's a dealbreaker, just something to be aware of going in.

My personal choice, especially given that you like divine warriors, would be a Warpriest.

I don’t quite understand the difference between a war priest and a cleric or paladin

StSword
2019-05-12, 03:16 PM
I don’t quite understand the difference between a war priest and a cleric or paladin

Warpriests (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest/) are more combat oriented than regular clerics- get bonus combat feats, and can enhance their weapons and armor with class features, and aren't alignment focused like paladins.

Psyren
2019-05-12, 03:23 PM

I like them a lot, mr. Dank Meme :smallsmile:

They're about halfway between the two classes you mentioned; 6/9 casting instead of 4/9 or 9/9. They also have the martial focus (proficiencies, abilities) of paladins, but have the hit die and BAB of clerics. Like clerics, they also gain proficiency with their deity's favored weapon for free, even if that weapon is exotic. And unlike Paladins, you can be any alignment (within one step of your deity.)

Some of their unique selling points are:
- Sacred Weapon (free enhancement and scaling damage for a weapon they've chosen with Weapon Focus; deity's favored weapon gets this for free)
- Sacred Armor (free enhancements for their armor)
- Fervor (channel energy with a touch, but also lets them cast buffs on themselves as a swift action without needing a hand free.)
- Blessings (a couple of scaling powers thematically tied to a domain.)

They're not as powerful at casting as a cleric, but they have an easier time blending magic and martial combat since they can cast swift-action buffs for free. Also, because they get 6th-level spells, they have access to some powerful ones that Paladins lack, like Heal, Planar Ally, Greater Dispel Magic, Banishment, Blade Barrier etc.

Dankus Memakus
2019-05-12, 04:30 PM
I like them a lot, mr. Dank Meme :smallsmile:

They're about halfway between the two classes you mentioned; 6/9 casting instead of 4/9 or 9/9. They also have the martial focus (proficiencies, abilities) of paladins, but have the hit die and BAB of clerics. Like clerics, they also gain proficiency with their deity's favored weapon for free, even if that weapon is exotic. And unlike Paladins, you can be any alignment (within one step of your deity.)

Some of their unique selling points are:
- Sacred Weapon (free enhancement and scaling damage for a weapon they've chosen with Weapon Focus; deity's favored weapon gets this for free)
- Sacred Armor (free enhancements for their armor)
- Fervor (channel energy with a touch, but also lets them cast buffs on themselves as a swift action without needing a hand free.)
- Blessings (a couple of scaling powers thematically tied to a domain.)

They're not as powerful at casting as a cleric, but they have an easier time blending magic and martial combat since they can cast swift-action buffs for free. Also, because they get 6th-level spells, they have access to some powerful ones that Paladins lack, like Heal, Planar Ally, Greater Dispel Magic, Banishment, Blade Barrier etc.

Ah that’s definitely an awesome possibility then, how would one stack up against a shaman and an Oracle? I was researching those just a few minutes ago

Palanan
2019-05-12, 05:36 PM
I love oracles myself, but I don't think they lend themselves as naturally to the divine-warrior role. The warpriest is a sixpack of divine warrior, and while I've never played one myself, it does sound like a good fit for your interests.

Psyren
2019-05-12, 05:52 PM
Ah that’s definitely an awesome possibility then, how would one stack up against a shaman and an Oracle? I was researching those just a few minutes ago

Both of those are more powerful since they are full (9/9) casters. The Shaman is a bit better for the dwarf because it is Wis-based rather than Cha-based like the Oracle. If your focus is on martial AND divine in equal measure I would still go Warpriest, but any of those (as well as Cleric) can fill this role really.

I love oracles myself, but I don't think they lend themselves as naturally to the divine-warrior role. The warpriest is a sixpack of divine warrior, and while I've never played one myself, it does sound like a good fit for your interests.

Oracles make solid gishes with the right choices, e.g. Mysteries like Battle or Metal. I'm sure Shamans can as well but I'm less familiar with them.

Dankus Memakus
2019-05-12, 06:12 PM
Both of those are more powerful since they are full (9/9) casters. The Shaman is a bit better for the dwarf because it is Wis-based rather than Cha-based like the Oracle. If your focus is on martial AND divine in equal measure I would still go Warpriest, but any of those (as well as Cleric) can fill this role really.

Oracles make solid gishes with the right choices, e.g. Mysteries like Battle or Metal. I'm sure Shamans can as well but I'm less familiar with them.

Alright looks like I’m going warpriest, thanks guys!