PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How Do I Make A Werewolf Encounter More Fun?

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-12, 03:25 PM
I'm currently trying to create a werewolf-themed adventure for my group, and have no idea how to make it more fun. The place where the encounter happens is a hay-meadow named Silverwood Meadow. The meadow used to be farmland before the werewolves destroyed the farmhouses there and made the meadow their home. Please suggest anything.

Unoriginal
2019-05-12, 03:53 PM
I'm currently trying to create a werewolf-themed adventure for my group, and have no idea how to make it more fun. The place where the encounter happens is a hay-meadow named Silverwood Meadow. The meadow used to be farmland before the werewolves destroyed the farmhouses there and made the meadow their home. Please suggest anything.

-The original farmer was part of an operation of silver smugglers, who were moving the metal around by forging it into farm tools to go beyond notice.

-The original farmer is haunting the place after being murdered by the werewolf.

Shuruke
2019-05-12, 04:02 PM
Wood chipper trumps everything

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-12, 04:03 PM
-The original farmer was part of an operation of silver smugglers, who were moving the metal around by forging it into farm tools to go beyond notice.

-The original farmer is haunting the place after being murdered by the werewolf.
I like these ideas , the silver smuggler one especially, but is there anything I could do to the werewolves that would take them beyond average?

GreyBlack
2019-05-12, 04:06 PM
In Curse of Strahd, there's a random encounter player's can have where they find 2-3 hunters stripping a kill. They exchange some pleasantries and try to determine whether the players have any silvered weapons. If they don't, the hunters (werewolves) attack.

Emongnome777
2019-05-12, 04:07 PM
Maybe some inspiration here:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/450-encounter-of-the-week-werewolves-on-the-warpath

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-12, 04:07 PM
Give them a 3x/day dimension door and characterize it as them stepping into the spirit world?

Allow them to change shape as a bonus action and give them ranged attacks in human form.

LibraryOgre
2019-05-12, 04:10 PM
Spring it on the players when they're injured. Have the werewolves hunting them. Don't let them take rests. Push them HARD.

Lord Vukodlak
2019-05-12, 04:37 PM
The original farmer was actually a werewolf hunter with a collection of werewolf pelts. Of course a lycanthrope reverts on death so they had to have been alive when we skinned them.

Unoriginal
2019-05-12, 04:46 PM
I like these ideas , the silver smuggler one especially, but is there anything I could do to the werewolves that would take them beyond average?

The leader has gone insane after eating a demon, which gives them strange effects such as making their attacks count as magical or being capable of firing a death beam from their mouth, and has been handling any questioning of their authority by eating the dissenter alive. They're now so bloated they're of Large size.

The demon is actually still alive, just constantly digested to near death. It'd be genuinely grateful to the adventurers if they free it by killing the Werewolf leader (but still generally malevolent, of course).

Damon_Tor
2019-05-12, 04:53 PM

Last Werewolf encounter I did was on the roof of a train. The werewolves were a band of outlaws robbing it.

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-12, 05:00 PM
The leader has gone insane after eating a demon, which gives them strange effects such as making their attacks count as magical or being capable of firing a death beam from their mouth, and has been handling any questioning of their authority by eating the dissenter alive. They're now so bloated they're of Large size.

The demon is actually still alive, just constantly digested to near death. It'd be genuinely grateful to the adventurers if they free it by killing the Werewolf leader (but still generally malevolent, of course).

Thank You! This is probably what I'm going to do. I really like this idea.

Lunali
2019-05-12, 05:40 PM
Give them a way to continue to damage their opponents if they happen to inflict lycanthropy, otherwise werewolves are stupid.

Wryte
2019-05-12, 06:11 PM
The last session of my campaign featured a pack of werewolves riding giant spiders. They ambushed the party in their Leomund's Tiny Hut in the middle of the forest and lay webs all around the Hut while the party was still figuring out their plan. The werewolves also all had the Mounted Combatant feat and wielded lances.

TripleD
2019-05-12, 08:07 PM
The pack is lead by a woman named Silver Jane. She wears silver jewelry at all times in the hopes of an immunity to her peoples’ bane.

It doesn’t work of course. Silver hits her as hard as any other ‘were. The only effect is a faint sizzling sound, and the smell of burning flesh.

However, twice per day she can channel this pain and enter a Barbarian rage. If she manages to bite while raging, she upgrades to a Bloodlust (Frenzy from Path of the Beserker, with all the bonuses and penalties that entails).