PDA

View Full Version : How OP is the UA Undying Light Warlock?

CTurbo
2019-05-13, 05:13 AM
Not to be confused with the regular Undying Warlock of course....

The Undying Light was the rough draft of what was to become the Celestial Warlock for those unfamiliar with it.
You can find it here https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

Now I've never seen one in play, but it seems pretty OP to me. Does anybody here have any experience with it? Is it as good as it seems?

MoiMagnus
2019-05-13, 06:28 AM
We did not play with it. But it does not feel OP to me.

The first level seems quite strong, but after the 2nd level, since your bonus to damages does not apply to Eldritch Blast, you don't have much more "at will" fire power than a regular warlock.

Your spell list is inferior to the Fiend. In particular, you don't have access to scorching ray and fireball, which is very sad. (Note: if the DM somehow allows you to have access to them at no cost, then you probably become OP)

The 6th level power looks very strong, but you can't rely on it if the enemies want your death: you have to wait your turn to "reborn" (saving death throw), so you just need 2 attacks (one melee and any other attack makes 3 failure against death) to hit you for you to be dead before you can do anything.
So if you are swarmed by creatures, you will most likely be dead before having the time to reborn. If you are not swarmed by creatures, the damages done by this feature are mostly negligible.
This power is still probably better in raw combat strength than the Fiend's power. But lack its polyvalence. The +1d10 to any ability check or save throw can protect you against mind control, ensure your survival in a life-or-death ability check (like diplomacy), ...

High level feature are good healing tools, but is it better than multi-classing to cleric? It does not make you a primary healer, so it may be quite redundant with the healer of the team.

I'm not saying it is bad, it is probably very good. But unless it counters your DM playstyle, it does not looks OP to me.
(For example, if you DM like to swarm you with creature, but never attack unconscious PCs with them in order to kill them before they are healed, then this patron is OP)

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-13, 06:48 AM
It depends on the context. The "no-sell a death save and heal back to half and deal solid damage and no-save blind" is way too strong for level 6, and the 14th level ability is something that most heal-y subclasses get at the first opportunity-- but switching them is easy enough and fixes that problem.

Radiant Soul is the big question, I think. It's solid in its intended use of making Sacred Flame/Firebolt viable alternatives to Eldritch Blast-- as MoiMagnus noted, Warlocks normally have a superior version of Cha-to-at-will-damage anyway. It used to be weird in that it made Tomelocks with Shillelagh and Green Flame Blade superior to Bladelocks, but with Hexblade floating around that's not really a concern anymore. It makes you a bit better at blasting with your spell slots, but you also don't have the greatest spell list for that.

The only real danger is multiclassing, I think. Warlock 2 is already a really tempting dip for any Cha-based character, and Cha to all fire/radiant damage spells for a single level is only moreso. I don't think it really breaks anything (though it's hella good on a Divine Soul), but... there are a lot of potential combos.

Ventruenox
2019-05-13, 06:58 AM
If I remember correctly, it was completely inappropriate for multiclass, as adding something like Paladin to it created a crazy power boost. Also, with use of Green Flame Blade it double dipped adding the Charisma modifier.