PDA

View Full Version : Contest D&D 5e Base Class Contest VII Chat Thread

MoleMage
2019-05-13, 09:09 AM
This is a continuation of Requilac's contests, done with Requilac's permission per the chat thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581139-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-VI-Chat-Thread).

Welcome to the chat thread for the Base Class Competitions for D&D 5e. If you wish to say anything about the competition which is neither a submission nor a vote, then it belongs here. You do not need to be a contestant to post here. You are allowed to critique a competitor’s work and offer suggestions on how to improve their homebrew through this thread, but it is preferred if you do so through that class’ specific thread (if applicable).

Current Contest: Remix Mastery (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?587919-D-amp-D-Base-Class-Contest-VII-Remix-Mastery&p=23906232#post23906232)

1st contest: Who Needs Swords or Sorcery? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?556338-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-I-Who-needs-Swords-OR-Sorcerery), won by WarrentheHero with the Inventor

2nd contest: Expect a low Margin of Terror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?560208-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-II-expect-a-low-Margin-of-Terror), Won by Mourne with the Sleepwalker

3rd Contest: The Elements, and not the Periodic Ones (Probably?) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565360-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-III-The-Elements-and-not-the-periodic-ones-(probably-)!), won By Pygmybatrider with The Shaman

4th contest: Does Not Meet Expectations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?570496-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-IV-Does-Not-Meet-Expectations), won with a tie by Molemage with the Destined and Pygmybatrider's Mesmer

5th contest: Time to Chill out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576131-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-V-Time-to-Chill-Out&p=23567807#post23567807), won by Molemage with the Wintreborn

6th contest: The Monster Mash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581138-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-VI-The-Monster-Mash), won with a three-way tie by Molemage with the Golem, theVoidWatches with the Lycanthrope, and daemonaetae with the Elemental Scion

1) The class you homebrew should fit the theme. You can interpret the theme as broadly as you like without risk of disqualification, but doing so may reduce your chances of earning votes during the voting period.
2) You may only create one base class. If you create more than one class then you must choose which one to enter and remove all the others from this thread and the contest (making them invalid) . If you do not specify which one you favor by the time voting begins, all of your content is invalid.
3) When you submit your class you must create a post on this thread which either has the content or holds a link to it. You may also optionally create one other individual thread for your class on the homebrew design sub-forum. If it is found that you have revealed your class on another site or on another thread than one on the homebrew design sub-forum, your entry will be considered invalid. If you do make a specific thread for you class, please mention its involvement to the competition in that thread. If you use external formatting resources such as Homebrewery, or GMBinder it is recommended that you also create a PDF of the content and share it here.
4) You may use other homebrew content (such as feats, spells, magical items and monsters) or even features to supplement your class, provided you have permission from the original creator and provide links to the source. Failure to receive permission from the original creation will disqualify you from entry in the current contest.
5) Your class must have fully completed mechanics and descriptions for it to be valid. Entries are due by 11:59 PM Central Time on the deadline. Any submissions after this point are invalid. No changes can be made to your class while voting is taking place. Failure to comply with the previous rule will result in disqualification.
6) Any content which has been declared invalid by the rules above cannot be voted for, but you may decide to remove it from the contest and create another class instead. If you are disqualified then you are not allowed to enter any more homebrew for this competition, though you may still vote and later enter the next competition.
7) Please note that misunderstandings occur, if you break a rule which results in disqualification it might be excused if you can convince the group that it was a result of confusion over the rules.

Contests stay up for 8 weeks unless an extension is requested by participants. Voting threads then go up for 2 weeks before the next contest begins.

Time
Dragons
Magic Without Slots

MoleMage
2019-05-13, 09:13 AM
Regarding the contest chat threads, my preference is to have one continuous chat thread across multiple contests. However, the existing format for this contest is to have a new thread with each contest, ensuring that feedback and discussion are easily found, so I'd like to get some preferences from participants. Also any new theme suggestions so we can have a larger pool to vote on in 8 weeks would be great.

moonfly7
2019-05-13, 05:13 PM
What would you call it if I used the theme of studying magic to fight it But I used renamed and reflavored eldritch invocations and favored enemy? And possibly other features from those and other classes?

MoleMage
2019-05-13, 05:33 PM
What would you call it if I used the theme of studying magic to fight it But I used renamed and reflavored eldritch invocations and favored enemy? And possibly other features from those and other classes?

Of the three categories I described in the submission thread, I would call this an Alternate (Same/similar features, remixed theme). Outside of those probably-to-narrow definitions I would consider it a Hybrid though (which could be its own category entirely).

moonfly7
2019-05-13, 07:25 PM
Well, its geared to feel like kinda like a warlock, with special abilities gained through study that aren't magic. Now, its not very rangery, it just has a feature that have that kinda feel to them. It'll make more sense when I actually get the first version posted. But thank you for the classification advice! I'll be sure to call it an alternate when its posted

theVoidWatches
2019-05-14, 10:56 PM
I'm not even a little ready to start actually writing anything for Remix Mastery because I'm currently embroiled in tech week for a show, but here's my very vague thoughts on some possibilities for remastered classes - not sure which I'll do yet.

Barbarian: something with building up rage points and expending it - your rage lasts for as long as you have rage points. Starting a rage starts you out with a handful of points, and there are things which will get you more - taking damage will definitely do it, and other than that I think each subclass would have a different way. Maybe one is geared towards protection and you get rage points when your allies take damage - maybe one is geared toward aggression and you get rage points when you hit an enemy - maybe one gives you points when you miss an attack? You spend points in probably one or two default ways and one or two exclusive to each subclass, as well - there's definitely a way to spend them to deal damage, other stuff tbd. You probably lose 1 rage point every round you do nothing, otherwise they'd go on forever.

Bard: similar to the barbarian, it would be about building up points and spending them - in the bard's case, music points. I'm thinking they get some kind of feature called chords, which are like simple cantrip things, and some kind of feature called melodies. Chords do things on their own, but they also build up music points, which you can spend on a melody. In my head it works like this: you start playing a melody called Harmonious Melody, which lets you spend one kind of point to heal your allies. Every round that you play a chord which is eligible for Harmonious Melody (not all chords will work for all melodies), you can end the melody and trigger its effect to heal, which gets stronger the more points you've built up. If you lose concentration on the melody, you don't get the effect. Not sure if melodies will quickly get very powerful (as befits something that takes multiple rounds to cast) or if some will be weaker and cheaper. You might get to play more chords in a single round as you level up, which would let you trigger melodies faster and build up to more expensive effects. Subclass-wise, there would be an exclusive melody for each subclass. This seems complicated though so I'm leaning away from it.

Cleric: Not sure how I would redo a cleric tbh, they seem pretty ideal for their theme already. Maybe make their domain more important? That's not a real change though. I'll just pass cleric by.

Druid: Again, not sure what I could do with a druid.

Fighter: I could rebuild the whole fighter class to use something more akin to maneuvers from 3.5's Book of Nine Swords. Spell-like powers that you use on a short rest. Basic list plus some exclusive to subclasses. The problem with that is, again, complexity - it would end up requiring more than just the class itself, it would need a whole 9-level list of powers, which is just too much. A simpler way of handling it would be to just make a basic set for the base class and have subclasses that give you more specialized one - one for Iron Mind, one for Setting Sun, etc - which seems more workable.

Monk: Monks are pretty ideal for what they do already, no need to mess with them at all.

Paladin: I could build a much more aura-focused paladin. Say, instead of getting spells at all, they get an increasing number of aura abilities and slots for their aura. At level 1 you get to use an aura at first level - at level 5 you have two slots, so you can use two first level auras or one of them at second level - and so on. I think some auras require more slots for even their low levels - like, maybe there's an expensive high-leveled aura that gives your allies advantage, while a lower level aura that only takes 1 slot just gives everyone 10 feet more of speed. I think that the radius of the aura tends to increase with how many slots you spend on them, but this could get confusing if you have multiple auras at different ranges, so maybe instead it'll just increase with your level. Smites can be worked in by letting you burn out aura slots to deal massive additional damage on hit, and that slot would open up again after a rest. Not sure if short rest or long rest - maybe long rest to get burnt slots back, short rest to change your aura load-out? Subclasses would each get an exclusive aura option or two.

Ranger: to be honest, I don't understand what the ranger is going for well enough to feel confident attempting a remaster.

Rogue: Rogues being non-magical limits them in a lot of ways. I could either focus on the thievery aspect or the skill monkey aspect, but neither really suggests anything off-hand to me. I might come back with an idea in a few days but for now I'll pass it by.

Sorcerer: Sorcerers want a much more natural kind of power than warlocks or wizards. I could try writing a con-based sorcerer class that uses their sorcerer hit dice as a resource, with the idea being that channeling the magic is dangerous for them/they're using their own vital energies. Instead of getting spells normally they would have something akin to my YAWR warlock's suite of powers to spend them on, but more powerful because they have a limited resource. Alternatively they could get spellcasting and the hit dice are spent to boost their powers. Not sure here, but there are definitely some ideas percolating.

Warlock: Already did this, not going to do it again. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572329-Yet-Another-Warlock-Rewrite-Eldritch-Dice)

Wizard: Wizards as they are are pretty generalist no matter what you do. Perhaps we could make a more focused wizard? We'll still allow copying all wizard spells into your list, but your base spell list is much smaller - each subclass increases it. Classic spells are often limited to their respective school of magic - Fireball is evoker-only, for example. The subclasses would also give more features, essentially making you an Evoker instead of an evocation wizard, or a Diviner instead of a divination wizard, and so on - your specialty school takes the lead.

Having talked through my rough thoughts, I'm leaning towards a rage-point based Barbarian or an aura-focused Paladin.

Bloodcloud
2019-05-15, 07:59 AM
I'm planning on doing Warlock 2.0

Fix blade boon, turn chain into a true summoner, give book better casting options. Get those ****ty invocation up to par and avoid as many "invocation tax" as possible. Maybe even increase modularity. Hexblade is gone for sure, but his abilities will live somehow.

MoleMage
2019-05-15, 10:24 AM
I'm likely going to do Cleric or Bard, mostly because I've been joking to my table that as soon as I make a primary healer we'll be able to fill a standard four person party with only classes I've made for this contest (Warrior is Golem/Destined, Mage is Alchemist, Rogue is Spiritcaller/Wintreborn/Destined). Technically I think my Alchemist fits better as the Jack so probably going to have to do a proper mage next time too.

As for mechanics, I haven't decided yet. If I'm doing a proper healer I should probably stick to conventional spellcasting but making new class systems is so fun.

moonfly7
2019-05-15, 04:45 PM
Just posted the Arcanic Researcher class, let me Know what you think and what I should change/add.
Note, I still need to finish subclasses and Arcanic Discoveries, ideas are appreciated.

Kyutaru
2019-05-16, 09:51 PM
I wanted to do the version of Warlock that world of warcraft has with Shadow Bolt as Eldritch Blast and lots of demon pets but it's been done before so many times...

Went with something people have been talking about recently in other threads.

Fnissalot
2019-05-17, 02:28 AM
I am doing a variant/remastered ranger. A ranger that fights vampires should feel different than one that fights giants. A ranger used to mountains should feel different than one that lives on the coasts. But structurally, it will be inspired from the warlocks distribution of choices between patron, pact, and invocations. They won't get spell-casting directly.

You will choose your prey as your archetype. It will not be that you get +2 dmg vs undead. For example, you will get advantage vs all breath attacks if dragons are your prey and you will be able to add a die equal to a monsters hit die on your damage if giants/titans are your prey. This is inspired from the parts of the hunter and monster slayer that I like.

You choose the terrain types that you are used to which will give you thematic bonuses. If you are used to mountains, you get a climbing speed and if you are used to deserts, you are better at always finding food and drink.

Lastly, the tricks you learned from nature. Each trick is a focus package around one thing. One gives some healing options, another is about antidote, and one is about tracking. So far these contains ritual spell casting of specific spells, mini-druid-magic initiates, and features from current ranger sub-classes.

moonfly7
2019-05-17, 06:51 AM
So about the rules, just to make sure, we can post our class under a single thread located on the homebrew section here, but we have to say its in this contest? I'm hoping that's right But I won't post anything till that's confirmed.

MoleMage
2019-05-17, 07:48 AM
So about the rules, just to make sure, we can post our class under a single thread located on the homebrew section here, but we have to say its in this contest? I'm hoping that's right But I won't post anything till that's confirmed.

That is correct. If you could also add a link to the thread in your submission post and a link to this contest in the thread that is preferable.

sengmeng
2019-05-17, 09:13 AM
I'm considering revamping fighter, but only changing the fighting styles and archetypes. Of course, that's everything a fighter gets besides second wind, action surge, indomitable, extra attacks, and ability score increases.

theVoidWatches
2019-05-18, 12:06 AM
Posted my first draft of an anger point barbarian. Haven't taken the time to format it nicely yet, just wanted to get something out there.

MoleMage
2019-05-20, 12:37 PM
One quick bit of help for entries in general: there are pre-formatted tables available in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?205677-Table-Pre-sets-and-Tablemaking-tutorial/page3) linked in the Notable Threads sticky for a variety of editions. Homebrewery.com and GMBinder.com also both have auto-generating class tables and a number of markup formatting options designed to mimic the PHB.

The following links are the posts which contain preformatted tables for 5th Ed. specifically:

One Feature Column, Special Column after features (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23888356&postcount=81)

Two Special Columns, Three Special Columns, Full Caster (Prepared) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23888379&postcount=82)

Full Caster (Spells Known), Half Caster (Prepared) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23888392&postcount=83)

Half Caster(Spells Known), Pact Magic, 1/3rd caster spell table (for subclasses) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23888400&postcount=84)

MoleMage
2019-05-21, 04:02 PM
As for mechanics, I haven't decided yet. If I'm doing a proper healer I should probably stick to conventional spellcasting but making new class systems is so fun.

I couldn't stop myself. I haven't posted it yet because it's mostly an outline right now, but I am now doing a Variant Cleric (tentatively called the Theurge) using an alternate magic system that I have previously rough drafted called Sorcery (for which I will naturally also make a Sorcerer variant of unknown name). Functionally, it's fairly similar to the Mystic's Psionics in that every Sorcery has an ongoing effect and one or more activated effects, but instead of using a point system it uses what I am calling Surges, which roll a set of dice and do something with the resulting total. The number of surges and size of the dice pool increase with your levels in sorcery granting classes (ranging from 2 to 5 uses and from 2d8 to 10d8 in my rough draft).

Once I get a first draft up to 20 with at least a couple of Sorceries and one subclass I'll post it and give specific reviews for the classes posted already. Should be sometime this week.

MoleMage
2019-05-23, 04:59 PM
Okay, the first draft of the theurge is up with all attached subclasses and one attached "sorcery" (my new class mechanic; plans to expand into a sorcerer remake called the Wilder, a half-sorcerous martial called the Cultist, and subclasses for barbarian and monk that are third-sorcerous, plus maybe a warlock pact that grants them pseudo-sorcery).

Expect feedback on your classes tomorrow or Saturday!

Kyutaru
2019-05-23, 09:31 PM
Crazy strong classes. Barbarian one is basically immortal once he gets Relentless Rage and the Theurge is a god when he gains Miracle.

MoleMage
2019-05-23, 10:42 PM
Crazy strong classes. Barbarian one is basically immortal once he gets Relentless Rage and the Theurge is a god when he gains Miracle.

Would reducing Miracle to 1/week be better? I might even remove Miracle and Godly vigor entirely; a lot of the sorceries will have tier upgrades, so much like standard cleric the theurge will have tier upgrades built into their magic system.

theVoidWatches
2019-05-23, 10:45 PM

Relentless Rage is meant to be like the Zealot's thing, but in retrospect you're right. I've edited to make it only work during a rage, and to prevent you from gaining anger points off of the damage that triggers it. That should prevent it from working infinitely (get anger points by taking damage, use them to stay at 0 HP).

Kyutaru
2019-05-23, 10:59 PM
Would reducing Miracle to 1/week be better? I might even remove Miracle and Godly vigor entirely; a lot of the sorceries will have tier upgrades, so much like standard cleric the theurge will have tier upgrades built into their magic system.
It might, yeah, though might be cool to have it not always worth either. Beseech thy god and hope he answers. The two pricklers are negating immunities for a minute and causing the creature to autofail a save (unless legendary saves still prevent it).

Relentless Rage is meant to be like the Zealot's thing, but in retrospect you're right. I've edited to make it only work during a rage, and to prevent you from gaining anger points off of the damage that triggers it. That should prevent it from working infinitely (get anger points by taking damage, use them to stay at 0 HP).
Yeah I saw the party damaged path and was like... "So every time I fireball the party, the Barbarian survives another dragon's full legendary attacks."

MoleMage
2019-05-23, 11:14 PM
It might, yeah, though might be cool to have it not always worth either. Beseech thy god and hope he answers. The two pricklers are negating immunities for a minute and causing the creature to autofail a save (unless legendary saves still prevent it).

Legendary saves should still work. I'll double check the wording on legendary saves and make sure this doesn't override them, but consider that the intended balance point.
Resistances and immunities should only be damage resistance and immunity, not conditions (will fix that). It's pretty niche; most of those that exist are already either A: negated by using magic weapons or B: bypassed by just using a different spell (or now, a different sorcery).

What I'm really interested in hearing at this stage how the sorcery mechanic (not the balance since only one is up right now) looks as an alternate rule. I think I have the core pretty well where I want it (Passive/Free Active features that can swap out on the fly, Powerful Active Features on shared resource), and I hope to smooth any kinks out during this class's development so I can put together some additional classes on the same mechanic.

theVoidWatches
2019-05-23, 11:29 PM
Yeah I saw the party damaged path and was like... "So every time I fireball the party, the Barbarian survives another dragon's full legendary attacks."

That one is only once per turn! Not quite that strong. The only way to get more than one anger point at once should be to take 20+ damage in a single hit.

MoleMage
2019-05-24, 08:02 PM
Feedback time!

You've forgotten to specify in your entry which base class you are remixing. It seems to be Warlock but without pact magic?

The formatting of the HP/proficiency/equipment block could use some bolding to make it easier to read.
The table looks good from my desktop browser, but strange from my phone due to text wrapping.I recommend formatting this as an actual table if possible.
It needs a feature for 6th level.

Does Arcanic Thief allow you to use spells you know from other sources (Such as magic initiate or multiclassing) with those spell slots, or is it just energy for fueling features? Is it limited (typically 5e limits slots above 5th level).
Arcanic Thief runs into an issue where your class resource is highly dependent on fighting a specific type of enemy (spellcaster) in order to function properly. Giving the class some built-in ability to use their features without stealing slots would be good.

Preferred magical foe: Missing its bold. I think simple "resistance to damage caused by spells of that school" would be cleaner than the special not-resistance halved damage; with advantage on saves you're making them all the time. Right now, evocation is probably the most valuable pick, simply because of synergy with Arcane Evasion (though that's so far in I might pick it as my 15th level choice and get Enchantment early on for the saving throw bonuses).
Arcanic Discoveries are fine, pending the full list.

Magic Manipulation: This coming at level 2 means that the Researcher has nothing to do with stolen spell slots for their first level of play. I would either move Thief to here or swap Manipulation and Preferred Magical Foe's positions.
Arcane Strike: Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite are both 1d8, this could probably be 1d8 also (especially considering that the Researcher doesn't even have something else to do with these and that the dice pool is smaller than Divine/Eldritch based on spell level).
Arcane Healing: It's probably fine. As with all spell slot features, the dependence on stolen slots worries me, but this one also gives me pause because there's no upper limit to the number of slots you can steal.

Magical Preparedness: It seems odd to have this be so specifically about illusions given that the class gets to pick what kinds of magic it hates most. Maybe put a school specific benefit here for each of your Preferred Foes? Each would need to be smaller than this, but it would fit the theme better for me.
Use Magic Device: Perfect as is. A great way to include an old favorite from 3.5.
Arcanic Evasion: Fine. Kinda weak for a level 18 feature considering it's worse than regular evasion and that's level 6-7. The class table mistakenly has it at level 17 (or maybe the description mistakenly has it at 18).
Antimagic Training: When do you get your uses back for this feature? Otherwise it looks fine. Not an overwhelming capstone, but it's okay (10 third level spells each day is nothing to sneeze at).

Overall, it's off to a good start, but it could use some polish and overall it seems a little low on oomph combat-wise. My key complaint is how specialized it is; give it more tools to handle itself in combat against non-magic-using foes (it doesn't need to be great, just needs to have something interesting to contribute) and it'll be a good theme.

An interesting take. Are there any adjustments to the druid spell list (as they get very little natively to do with undeath) to go along with this?
Health, Proficiencies, Equipment all fine (should be, as it's base druid).

Sacrificial Servant: I have three primary concerns. The first is that this feature effectively duplicates Animate Dead, but at will and with fewer requirements, three levels before any other class can use that spell. The second is that as written, the skeleton just acts with no input from the druid. I would suggest requiring at least a bonus action to control them (like Animate Dead does). The third is that the damage increase gets multiplied in addition to getting larger. A smaller concern is the slowdown of play involved in controlling the skeletons, but if you want a necromantic class that's a risk that you have to take.

Watcher of the Way: Seems okay. The Ethereal Plane's rules in 5e are not something I'm super up to speed on though. Physical objects still have a presence there, right? You can't look through walls or something?
Traverser of the Threshold: Also seems okay. Druids don't really have a lot of local movement spells (other than polymorph and shapechange), so this also opens up a utility niche that wasn't previously available.
Guardian of the Gate: As with Traverser, this opens up a new movement option that druids normally can't access. The banishment part is a nice perk, but niche as it can only target undead.
Heirophant: Undead Nature is more harmful than helpful in a lot of ways (a lot of things that target undead differently are either beneficial things that don't work on them, or harmful things that work better on them. Make it optional (so the Druid can still use Cure Wounds on itself) and it's a good capstone.
Divination: Fine as is. Could be flashier as a level 20 ability.

Overall, the balance of the features other than Sacrificial Servant is fine. Sacrificial Servant is available too cheaply and too often at the moment (giving it a usage cooldown after they die would be a good start).

Circle of the Ancients

Keeper of the Underworld: Fine. A little bland as a 2nd level feature by itself.
Defender of the Balance: It says you learn Inflict Wounds, I assume this means you treat it as a Druid spell (as Druids, both classic and Stonehenge, are prepared casters)? It's fine in that case. Additionally, does Inflict Wounds still require an attack roll, and does Cure Wounds still not require one when used in their opposite fashions? It does make Undead Nature in the base class capstone a lot less penalizing, but unless all circles get a similar feature I retain my concerns above.
Harbinger of Life: Revivify might be a more compelling choice for always-prepared, due to the fact that Raise Dead's cost, casting time, and penalties ensure that the party basically needs to stop and take a break to use it anyway.

Okay, this is a cool idea. Barbarians as a ramping class instead of a on-off switch.

Skipping straight to features...

Anger points are sometimes called rage points in your text; I assume you changed names at some point to distinguish from rage. I'm going to come back to anger points in a couple of dots after I talk about rage.
Rage: Personally, I would like to see Rage cut as a resource. Something along the lines of "While you possess X anger points, you are considered to be raging" (really anything where "rage" is a function of spending or available anger points) would be much more compelling as a mechanic for me. That said, I have a minor complexity addiction (as I'm sure you can tell), so if you like Rage as resource mixed with anger points as resource that's fine.
Rage/Anger Points: I think names for the active functions (spending points to roll extra damage dice, spending points to reduce damage taken, spending points to gain advantage) would be good. It's easier to say "I use Rage Strike" than "I use the function of my rage to add damage".
Back to anger points: The baseline generation mechanic is a little weak. I've gone entire sessions without critical hits at the table. I do appreciate that rages can last even if you don't attack by tying them to anger points, and that rages grant a baseline number of them (initially I missed that and wrote a whole thing about how you never can afford to use your points aggressively with just generation). Also, why is it limited to nonmagical damage? Standard Barbarian resistance is not limited to nonmagical.
Skimming past the support features that were cloned over to...
Brutal Critical: Finally a way to generate rage points on offense! But wait...it only lets you keep them in a rage. I don't really see how this is, outside of a rage, any different from standard brutal critical. And inside of a rage, I don't see much reason not to use it, especially once it gives 2 and 3 points instead of 1 as my baseline damage boost doesn't let me spend them in big stacks like that. I guess not spending (or underspending) would let me extend the rage a bit longer. I think letting it store points outside of rage would be fine (there's a built-in maximum already).
Feral Instinct is fine. It fits with the new mechanics. It's good that it got swapped with the path feature at 6 though given it is slightly more powerful.
Relentless Rage: As Kyutaru pointed out, this is very strong. A typical Anger Point barbarian would be able to use this 4 times per rage assuming they didn't save any of their extra point generation for it. Compare the original version of the feature, which was reliable for two uses, reasonable for maybe one more, and became outright impossible after four uses. It did reset on a short rest. I would give this a scaling cost similar to the original versions scaling chance. Maybe each time you use it, it costs 1 more rage point and the cost resets on a short/long rest?

In summary, I think that except for Relentless Rage's potential frequency of use this is in a good point balance wise, using standard barbarian as my comparison. It does burst damage a little better, but tanks hits a little worse overall by my first impression. As I mentioned in the second point though, I think that it would stand apart better if you distanced it from rage-as-resource.

Rage of the Body

Impotent Rage: Oddly, this encourages dual-wield barbarian, which I am okay with. The additional function of adding Con to bonus damage might be a bit strong though (potentially getting Con to damage 3/turn if you do go with the dual wield and spam reckless attack. Limit to 1/turn and it would be better.
Fueled by Rage: A good reset mechanic. Stacks well with gaining advantage.
Aggressive Rage: A good option for non-dual-wield barbarian, an okay option for it (they can add Str to this one)
Extra Attack (II): It does give the barbarian a concerning number of opportunities to deal 2d12+10 damage, but they also have an attached cost. I'm not sure on it.

Rage of the Heart

Vigilant Rage: This is better than Impotent Rage or Storming rage, because you can trigger it both more frequently and more reliably (especially in combination with basic Rage where you get points for getting hurt).
Protective Rage: A good defensive feature. The cost makes keeps it in line.
Protected by Rage: Aside from having a name too similar to Protective Rage, it's okay.
Shielding Body: A good little tank ability, especially since it doesn't take your reaction and you can then spend more points to negate your damage.

Rage of the Soul

Storming Rage: The points generated are probably pretty niche. A lot of things are just going to deal physical damage, and even the ones that don't might deal a different type of magic damage. Probably the weakest generation method of the three, but it makes up for it with solid riders.
Resistant Rage: It's a good feature, especially for always up.
Impeding Rage: It's good these don't stack with each other. I think all of them are good features, if a little unvaried (they all trigger based on different attack roll conditions).
Potent Rage: The excluding allies part comes a little later than I would like, but the areas before this increase are also quite small, so it's probably okay. As a subclass capstone, it isn't as good as Body or Heart, but Soul also gets a lot of out-of-rage benefits that the other two lack.

theVoidWatches
2019-05-24, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the in-depth feedback! I've updated to take into account many of your suggestions. A lot of stuff is now limited to once/turn, and I've also cut the stuff that would drain anger points outside of rages.

In regards to your suggestion about cutting rages entirely, I don't want to completely do away with them. Barbarians as they are have an on/off switch for their powerful abilities - I wanted to shift than into an on/off switch that primarily made your resource flow in and out faster. So, in a rage you have a bunch of extra ways to spend anger points, and you also have a new way to get them.

KOLE
2019-05-25, 02:38 AM
Hey ya'll, spent all day working on my vision for the ranger. I really love Rangers and was bummed that they kind of got the shaft in 5e. This is my answer to that, but it could be seen as an "Alt" for the Revised Ranger because I actually like Rangers as half casters.

I think it's probably too strong. Considering limiting Favored Enemy to once per turn and/or capping quarry die to a d8 in mid tier 3. PEACH, don't hold back. This is my first time messing with full classes.

Kyutaru
2019-05-25, 09:09 AM
Hey ya'll, spent all day working on my vision for the ranger. I really love Rangers and was bummed that they kind of got the shaft in 5e. This is my answer to that, but it could be seen as an "Alt" for the Revised Ranger because I actually like Rangers as half casters.

I think it's probably too strong. Considering limiting Favored Enemy to once per turn and/or capping quarry die to a d8 in mid tier 3. PEACH, don't hold back. This is my first time messing with full classes.

I actually think it's too weak of a benefit. The base Ranger already has the Hunter archetype that at level 3 can add 1d8 dmg to an attack every turn. Adding even 1d10 to only your marked target is kind of weak. The benefit of old Rangers was the attack bonus that made them rarely miss their favored enemies. Considering Bless adds a 1d4 to attacks AND saves for multiple creatures as a 1st lvl cleric spell, a ranger could easily add a 1d10 to his attack rolls against only his marked target, especially when he can't have many of those per rest and it costs a bonus action just to set one. Barbarians get crazy attack and damage bonuses through rage against all targets.

Going to go revisit my Druid. I didn't even think of Revivify.

MoleMage
2019-05-25, 12:06 PM
Couple minor tweaks to the theurge: Godly vigor removed (All sorceries will have improved usage at 5th level instead). Sorcery list updated (Removed: Ignis, Terra. Added: Aer, Daemonis, Fortis). Callings now all grant a choice from two sorceries instead of some granting one and some granting a choice. Any available choices are added to the theurge list even if unpicked. Acies sorcery written.

moonfly7
2019-05-25, 07:06 PM
So, haven't done anything in a bit on the archanic researcher, but hope too soon. Could I get some feedback so I can make the changes that it obviously needs but my own huburous blinds me from seeing?

moonfly7
2019-05-28, 01:10 PM
In answer to the top question about the threads, I would vote for a new thread every time. I understand it might be a bit harder for you, so don't worry about it if it is. But I like having everything in easy to find spots, just my opinion though.

As for next theme, I think new ways of casting spells would be nice, maybe call it out with the old in with the new. basically, magic without spell slots.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 01:27 PM
Ooh, I'd love to hop back into these competitions. I think I'd like to try my hand at an attempt at an Artificer of some type. Or a Cleric that uses a spellbook... the ideas flow free!

MoleMage
2019-05-28, 08:34 PM
In answer to the top question about the threads, I would vote for a new thread every time. I understand it might be a bit harder for you, so don't worry about it if it is. But I like having everything in easy to find spots, just my opinion though.

As for next theme, I think new ways of casting spells would be nice, maybe call it out with the old in with the new. basically, magic without spell slots.

Yeah that makes sense.

I'll add Magic Without Slots to the idea list. It will be a good excuse for me to make more Sorcery classes anyway.

moonfly7
2019-05-29, 10:35 AM
thinking of renaming arcanic researcher to a name that actually makes since for a caster fighting martial class, any ideas?

Kyutaru
2019-05-29, 10:49 AM
thinking of renaming arcanic researcher to a name that actually makes since for a caster fighting martial class, any ideas?

Witch hunter
Loremaster
Tinker
Technomancer
Arcanist
Spellthief
Magebane
Magic Marauder
Indiana Jones

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-29, 01:11 PM

There's no reason to reinvent the wheel. Do what DnD does, and recycle old terms with new mechanics.

4e already came up with the perfect term, for a magic-oriented melee tank class: The Swordmage.

MoleMage
2019-05-29, 05:53 PM
Small updates to the Theurge continue to trickle in. I'm not terribly satisfied with the Angelus sorcery, but there aren't any good official celestials to give it at low levels (whatever happened to lantern archons?). For now this will work, though after the contest or if I have time once I've got the rest written I might make homebrew stat blocks for celestials instead of the current list.

I'll get a review up for KOLE's ranger tomorrow.

moonfly7
2019-05-30, 09:08 AM
There's no reason to reinvent the wheel. Do what DnD does, and recycle old terms with new mechanics.

4e already came up with the perfect term, for a magic-oriented melee tank class: The Swordmage.
It doesn't cast. Its not a magic class, So sword mage doesn't make sense. I think the best way to actually name the thing is to read it, but since I know I dont have time to read the other contest classes yet anyways, I'll summarize so you guys can have a clearer idea of what it is.

Its an antimagic class, and it has a "favored enemy" kinda option that lets you choose one school of magic to be better at fighting, and resisting their magic. I also have it a form of eldritch invocations called arcanic discoveries, researched pieces of magical and practical knowledge for fighting casters.
The other main thing they can do is steal the spell slots of casters when they deal damage to them, and they later on gain a feature that lets then spend these slots to deal extra damage and heal themselves and allies.
Some discoveries may grant one shot or at will use of spells, but they are not casters, they cannot cast spells, and they do not have a spell list or slots.
So, that's the explanation. Thanks for the name advice, I'm sorry I'm so picky, but as you can see, the class is kind of weird and I want a name that captures Its essence. Which is proving unnerving for me, I will admit.
But to answer the sword mage thing, I don't think it's an apprpriate name, sword mages cast spells, and had a lot of teleportation magic to their names. They were also first and for most gishes, mixing magic and melee, this class is not a gish, although maybe I should have rebrewed the sword mage instead, as the more I think about it, my class doesn't really fit the theme.
Let me know if anyone thinks I should change what I'm doing so that I'm actually following the theme, because I made the mistake of not following it well enough in the subclass contest, and I don't want to do that here, please tell me if I am falling into the same trap again.

sengmeng
2019-05-30, 09:08 AM
So my idea is a samurai class as an alternate fighter. So fighters should exist in the same game, but you couldn't multiclass fighter and samurai, and so far, only the fighting styles and archetypes will be different (leaving the actual class table identical, and keeping second wind, action surge, indomitable, extra attack, and all the ability score increases the same. Does this count?

theVoidWatches
2019-05-30, 09:57 AM
Moonfly, how about the antimage? That encompasses being martial, since mages aren't, as well as using antimagic.

MoleMage
2019-05-30, 10:24 AM
So my idea is a samurai class as an alternate fighter. So fighters should exist in the same game, but you couldn't multiclass fighter and samurai, and so far, only the fighting styles and archetypes will be different (leaving the actual class table identical, and keeping second wind, action surge, indomitable, extra attack, and all the ability score increases the same. Does this count?

This is within the boundaries of the contest, yes. Fighter subclasses and fighting styles are a huge part of how they play, so it will come out looking fairly different just with those. One thing I personally would like to see is swapping one of the three main features out for something unique (probably Indomitable or Second Wind) that really emphasizes how the samurai is distinct from the base fighter, but it won't be necessary in order to fit the theme.

MoleMage
2019-05-30, 10:27 AM
Some additional name ideas for the arcanic researcher (I like Antimage, Magebane, and Witch Hunter previously mentioned also)

Disruptor
Mana Eater
Inquisitor
Spellbane

moonfly7
2019-05-30, 12:35 PM
Some additional name ideas for the arcanic researcher (I like Antimage, Magebane, and Witch Hunter previously mentioned also)

Disruptor
Mana Eater
Inquisitor
Spellbane
Spellbane does sound good. Perhaps something refferencing the weave? Perhaps the weave unraveler? That name itself is stupid, but refferencing the weave may be good. I may just go with spellbane. Or just Banes, which is ironically the name of a very similar organization in a story I once wrote.

moonfly7
2019-05-30, 01:39 PM
Officially changed the name of the Arcanic researcher to the Spellbane. Thanks you everyone who gave name ideas! I still could use any subclass concepts, or arcane discovery ideas.

sengmeng
2019-05-30, 06:36 PM
Ok, Samurai is up and ready to PEACH. I will leave the format as is unless someone complains.

I also kind of wanted to make the same idea except with the Avengers as the theme. Fighting styles would be Battlesmith (Iron Man), Archer (Hawkeye), Shield Fighter (Captain America), Head Scissors (Black Widow), Mean Swing (Thor), Smash (Hulk), and archetypes would be Powerhouse (Thor and Hulk), Gadgeteer (Iron Man and Black Widow), and Tactician (Captain America and Hawkeye). If that sounds better, I'll write it up and then make a difficult decision about which will be my final entry.

MoleMage
2019-05-30, 09:46 PM
Alright, some more reviews are upon us!

At a glance, it looks like you are of the same opinion as me: the base ranger is two to three classes trying to be one class. I approve of the removal of spellcasting from the base class (and the inclusion of spellcasting in the Warden archetype, as it allows the ranger to focus on one identity as its core identity.

Favored Enemy: As much as I liked the idea of a ranger specializing in different prey, it doesn't translate well as a D&D class because either the feature is too weak to let other features be most of the power, or it's too strong and the class doesn't function when not fighting that type of prey. This version of favored enemy is better. Adding Quarry die every attack is also very nice for two-weapon-fighting ranger, though I worry about the relative power of archery or dueling ranger as a consequence. Relentless pursuer comes online at a good level where players should be thinking about taking more short rests, parallel to Font of Inspiration.
Natural Exporer: Basically the same as core but without choosing terrain. This is fine for the same reasons as above with favored enemy.
Ranger's Balm: An odd little support feature. It's okay as-is. I'm not sure about doubling constitution bonus with the 7th level upgrade. I would leave it at 1x Con bonus (they already get 1x Con from spending the dice). If you want to keep a larger bonus, maybe make it the Ranger's Wisdom plus the target's Con, so that low-Con characters still enjoy this.
Skirmisher: I was worried about the damage output but then remembered that this uses the bonus action, preventing the offhand attacks with TWF. This is a fine alternate way to get that Quarry die for when your foe is out of reach.
Ambusher: Like Skirmisher but for hiding. Somewhat weak for an 11th level feature (it gives you better Opportunity Attacks, but the stuff on your turn is just choosing which of three bonus actions you're going to use to get an extra quarry die; for TWF this is the weakest option (doesn't close distance, doesn't add Dex), for Archery it's a huge buff though because it's the only option for adding quarry dice on a bonus action. Archery (and Duelist) should probably get QD options earlier (as QD favor TWF by default).
Relentless Storm: It's good, though it competes with Skirmisher and Ambusher (and TWF) for your bonus action each round, it makes up for it with the extra 1d10+Weapon per turn (or 1d10+2xWeapon if you're ranged or duelist).
Foe Slayer: A worthy capstone that has the potential (assuming you managed to cap dex in your build) of increasing your accuracy tremendously or your damage respectably. As with many of the other features, it actually synergizes strongly with TWF because more attacks means more chances to trigger the bonus damage.

Overall, I think that (and I can't believe I get to say this), options to allow Archery and Duelist to access Quarry Dice as well as TWF should exist earlier than they do. Two-Weapon Fighting gets 3 chances at quarry dice out the gate, and while Duelist can double up on quarry dice with Skirmisher at level 6, Archery doesn't get anything better than Attack+Extra Attack until Ambusher at 11. You've done it! You've made a class that's better at Two-Weapon Fighting than at other things!

Subclasses

Beast: Other than the addition of Quarry Dice to animal companion while targeting your favored creature, it looks like UA Ranger's Beast Conclave at a glance. I think that this is a good quality of life bonus without being too over-the-top. Syngergizes well with Archery as they always have someone to get in bad guys' faces for them.
Hunter: It borrows Superiority Dice from Battlemaster, but it also gets unique combat abilities. I'm worried about the potential power, as Battlemaster's power is completely tied to Superiority Dice, but not having them increase in size probably compensates for Defensive Tactics and Multiattack Defense fairly well. As a subclass, it isn't very exciting.
Hunter's Steel Will and Gloom's Iron Mind come a fair bit earlier than other classes which grant a third saving throw proficiency (usually in the low teens). I would move both to later.
Gloom Conclave: Stalker's Flurry is giving me a hard time finding the balance point. Your potential damage output isn't any higher, but your expected damage output gets a pretty big spike. I'd have to see it in play. Shadowy Dodge seems fine as it consumes your reaction.
Warden: This is my favorite of the ranger classes, possibly because it reminds me most of 3.5 rangers (who honestly had the same three classes in a trenchcoat problem, but somehow seemed more fun. I would like to see some of the ranger-exclusive spells other than Hunter's Mark return to this subclass, but I can understand why you just went with ranger instead.

I'll get a full review up for the Samurai tomorrow, but at a glance I like it in concept and Holy Strike is too strong on a fighter chassis.

EDIT: I did a stealth update this morning that added Aqua and Animus sorcery details. The remaining sorceries other than Daemonis, a bit of Lux, and some calling sorceries should all be fairly utilitous or defensive now; so far my "cleric" looks an awful lot like a blaster, but that's because their damage sorceries come first alphabetically.

sengmeng
2019-05-31, 07:09 AM
h
I'll get a full review up for the Samurai tomorrow, but at a glance I like it in concept and Holy Strike is too strong on a fightwe chassis.

I'm not sure what I was thinking. That archetype will only end up with 5 + wis modifier for ki points, so I thought that was enough of a circumstantial limit, but I changed it to costing a ki point for a 1d8 damage boost (and later 2d8 for one ki point).

MoleMage
2019-06-01, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure what I was thinking. That archetype will only end up with 5 + wis modifier for ki points, so I thought that was enough of a circumstantial limit, but I changed it to costing a ki point for a 1d8 damage boost (and later 2d8 for one ki point).

Forgot about Good Omens miniseries releasing yesterday, so I never got to the review. One day late is better than never, though, so here's the review for the Samurai!

I like that you added Ki Block as an alternate to Action Surge. Gives samurai its own thing in addition to its own options.

Fighting Styles

Yojimbo most directly compares to Protection. It's advantages (use any weapon instead of one-handed, benefit from reach) don't really outweigh the losses (melee-only, enemy can target you), though.
Iaijitsu: A good option for dex fighters and the Alert feat. I'd use it.
The Five Rings: Two-Weapon Fighting adds more value (unless this lets you add your ability modifier to the reaction attack, then this is a little ahead), but this adds more interaction. It's fun, but a little underpowered.
Great Bow: This is cool, but most combat will take place inside the short range of a longbow anyway. Would be useful in getting early shots off more easily when ambushing, but I'd rather take Iaijitsu and add damage on my first rounds' attacks.
Dairokkan: It gives an option for the Ki-focused Samurai. Worthwhile if you're pumping Wis and Dex anyway.
Kenjutsu: The problem here is that changing the stat for a versatile weapon doesn't really improve the performance of the weapon. Yes, your armor class will be a little better, but the fact remains that Full Plate is still better AC than max Dex Light Armor. This also does nothing for sword and shield play due to the two-hands requirement, taking away the key virtue of versatile weapons (namely, versatility).

Overall, the options other than Iaijitsu come across as fairly weak. Iaijitsu is very strong in the first round of combat (easily +10 or +15 damage), and would feel good to use even if its long term power isn't high, but most of the other ones are lateral moves or too situational. All of these options are also very Dex oriented (only Yojimbo is better with Strength, because the good Reach weapons are all Str), leaving full-plate (full-lamellar?) Samurai without a good choice.

Core Features

Ki Block: This is a fun feature. Should specify that the effect must target you ("any effect which involves an attack roll against you or which forces you to make a saving throw"). It might be too strong right out the gate (since your Str+Prof or Dex+Prof are almost always going to be better than any of your saves other than Strength or Dex), though the fairly limited number of Ki points available to this class does offset the power.
Impenetrable Will: Will saves should be Wisdom saves. The active portion suffers because it has to compete with Ki Block; while Advantage is generally better for making moderate rolls, the additional bonus offered by proficiency allows difficult saves to succeed, and by the time you get this your proficiency is valued roughly the same as advantage (if I recall, advantage is valued at ~+4-5).
Improved Ki Block: Impenetrable Will is completely overshadowed by this improvement. For 1 ki point, I can replace 2 saves with attack rolls to which I probably have bonuses beyond Stat+Prof at this point, compared to gaining advantage on a single save in which I am not proficient.
Warrior's Soul: A small but significant buff. Could be more exciting for a level 17 feature, but Core Fighters just get more resources here too, so it doesn't have to be.

Overall, I think Ki Block is too strong. I don't know how to fix it off hand. Maybe take away the saving throw usage and give some secondary benefit to blocking an attack with it? That would separate it from Impenetrable Will.

Subclasses

Ronin: Shadow Warrior should read "samurai level", because as written a Ronin 3/Rogue 3 would sneak attack as Rogue 9. The sneak attack scaling is probably too high at the moment as well (Ronin has both the best ki to damage ratio and the greatest number of ki points of the options presented thanks to full sneak attack).
Ronin: Shadow Walk is probably okay, though the invisibility is a little open to interpretation (if I move, attack, move, am I invisible for the attack?).
Kensai: Ki Divinity needs a duration. Is the intent that Lawful Good and Chaotic Good are immune to the effects normally affecting Lawful or Chaotic characters? What about Lawful Neutral (is it both Frightened and Charmed?). It's a cool feature, just needs the wording tightened up a bit, and maybe the range or number of targets reduced (right now it's functionally "every enemy within 30 feet").
Kensai: (Improved) Holy Strike's new form is much better. This is a good target point for other ki damage abilities in my opinion.
Kensai: Flesh Made Whole is pretty underwhelming at 10th level (allow extra ki for upcasting maybe?) and it needs to specify a casting stat (I assume Wisdom).
Master Samurai: Enhanced Fighting Style. I've been trying to think of good ways to handle a weapons' master for a while, and I think this direction is a good one for that.
Enhanced Iaijitsu: As with the base version, this is my number one pick. I get to go first more, which means I also get to add damage more frequently, and on top of that the added damage is higher.
Enhanced Great Bow: Unless you also have a revamped Sharpshooter, I'd skip this. Sharpshooter already ignores disadvantage for long range on top its other benefits. If you do have a revamped Sharpshooter I'm fine with that, it and GWM are a little too strong anyway.
Enhanced Five Rings: A nice boost. This actually does put Five Rings ahead of the base fighter's Two-Weapon Fighting, especially if ability modifiers are allowed on the reaction attacks.
Enhanced Dairokkan: Studded Leather +Max Dex +Max Wis puts my Armor class at 22, without a shield. This is equal to a level 20 barbarian with 20 Dex and 24 Con (though the barbarian can also get a shield to pull ahead), and 1 higher than Full Plate + Protection + Shield in a baseline fighter. A little too strong; I would allow a max of +2 Wis regardless of armor worn (allowing you to replace your shield with a moderate Wisdom score).
Enhanced Kenjutsu: For the same reasons as the base version, this doesn't actually improve the fighter's potential, unless they get both Enhanced Kenjutsu and Enhanced Dairokkan (unavailable until level 18).
Master Samurai: Weapon Master/Dedicated Warrior/Peak Warrior: I would put a limit here that these bonuses don't stack with magic weapons to keep the class in the expected accuracy bounds. Other than that should be fine.

Overall, I think that the subclasses have good thematics, but their balance needs a touchup. The damage output on Ronin is too high and too efficient for it to be the subclass with all the extra ki points. Kensai has a good ki-to-damage ratio but not enough ki to use it for very long; and Ki Divinity is too widely usable for its low cost. Master Samurai is just about right, but the Enhanced Fighting Styles are inconsistent in their power (a carry over from my concerns in the base fighting styles above).

Summary: I like the direction this class is taking. Some of the features are too widely applicable (esp. Ki Block and Shadow Warrior), and some of the fighting styles feel too lateral or situational (esp. Great Bow and Kenjutsu), but the theme is well fitted. Add more options for Strength-based Samurai and touch up some of the details above and I think you'll be in a good place. Let me know when you're ready for another look and I'll be happy to take one.

sengmeng
2019-06-01, 10:30 PM
I find breaking up quotes tedious, so I'm going to just make my comments blue.

Forgot about Good Omens miniseries releasing yesterday, so I never got to the review. One day late is better than never, though, so here's the review for the Samurai! Very understandable; this was an awesome book and I need to check it out too :)

I like that you added Ki Block as an alternate to Action Surge. Gives samurai its own thing in addition to its own options.

Fighting Styles

Yojimbo most directly compares to Protection. It's advantages (use any weapon instead of one-handed, benefit from reach) don't really outweigh the losses (melee-only, enemy can target you), though. I just changed it to let you attack them. Not sure if it's better, but way less wordy
Iaijitsu: A good option for dex fighters and the Alert feat. I'd use it. This plus Dairokkan is the key to being a thematic Samurai, IMO. My personal favorite as well
The Five Rings: Two-Weapon Fighting adds more value (unless this lets you add your ability modifier to the reaction attack, then this is a little ahead), but this adds more interaction. It's fun, but a little underpowered. Added wordage to let you add your ability bonus.
Great Bow: This is cool, but most combat will take place inside the short range of a longbow anyway. Would be useful in getting early shots off more easily when ambushing, but I'd rather take Iaijitsu and add damage on my first rounds' attacks. Added plus 1 damage inside "close" range (the original normal range). May change due to the clunkiness of tracking three ranges.
Dairokkan: It gives an option for the Ki-focused Samurai. Worthwhile if you're pumping Wis and Dex anyway.
Kenjutsu: The problem here is that changing the stat for a versatile weapon doesn't really improve the performance of the weapon. Yes, your armor class will be a little better, but the fact remains that Full Plate is still better AC than max Dex Light Armor. This also does nothing for sword and shield play due to the two-hands requirement, taking away the key virtue of versatile weapons (namely, versatility).IDC about shield use on a samurai; the fighter still exists and is meant to be used in the same setting to build martial characters that wouldn't fit well in this class. Still, I now added wordage that you also add your strength bonus to damage, so dex to hit and strength plus dex to damage, but the die size stays at the one handed size (averaging one less point, so you gain your strength bonus -1 on a finesses attack essentially. I think this fits the normal two-handed katana style of swordsmanship; it is a combination of strength and dexterity that comes out just a tiny hair ahead of some ruffian swinging a weapon twice as large through pure strength.

Overall, the options other than Iaijitsu come across as fairly weak. Iaijitsu is very strong in the first round of combat (easily +10 or +15 damage), and would feel good to use even if its long term power isn't high, but most of the other ones are lateral moves or too situational. All of these options are also very Dex oriented (only Yojimbo is better with Strength, because the good Reach weapons are all Str), leaving full-plate (full-lamellar?) Samurai without a good choice.

Core Features

Ki Block: This is a fun feature. Should specify that the effect must target you ("any effect which involves an attack roll against you or which forces you to make a saving throw"). It might be too strong right out the gate (since your Str+Prof or Dex+Prof are almost always going to be better than any of your saves other than Strength or Dex), though the fairly limited number of Ki points available to this class does offset the power. Changed to only affect things with attack rolls. I like the idea of a samurai parrying almost anything with his sword, but Impenetrable Will needs something to actually do, so it got nerfed.
Impenetrable Will: Will saves should be Wisdom saves. The active portion suffers because it has to compete with Ki Block; while Advantage is generally better for making moderate rolls, the additional bonus offered by proficiency allows difficult saves to succeed, and by the time you get this your proficiency is valued roughly the same as advantage (if I recall, advantage is valued at ~+4-5). Changed to proficiency with Wisdom saves while you have ki points remaining, and spend a ki point to get advantage on any save.
Improved Ki Block: Impenetrable Will is completely overshadowed by this improvement. For 1 ki point, I can replace 2 saves with attack rolls to which I probably have bonuses beyond Stat+Prof at this point, compared to gaining advantage on a single save in which I am not proficient.
Warrior's Soul: A small but significant buff. Could be more exciting for a level 17 feature, but Core Fighters just get more resources here too, so it doesn't have to be.My reasoning exactly.

Overall, I think Ki Block is too strong. I don't know how to fix it off hand. Maybe take away the saving throw usage and give some secondary benefit to blocking an attack with it? That would separate it from Impenetrable Will. Considering not expending the ki point if you succeed by 10 or more, but so far just took away the save capability.

Subclasses

Ronin: Shadow Warrior should read "samurai level", because as written a Ronin 3/Rogue 3 would sneak attack as Rogue 9. The sneak attack scaling is probably too high at the moment as well (Ronin has both the best ki to damage ratio and the greatest number of ki points of the options presented thanks to full sneak attack). Revamped. No more mention of sneak attacks or rogue levels. Now if you have advantage and hit with an attack, you can spend up to all your ki points for 1d8 damage each
Ronin: Shadow Walk is probably okay, though the invisibility is a little open to interpretation (if I move, attack, move, am I invisible for the attack?). Clarified. You poof into sight at the moment of attack
Kensai: Ki Divinity needs a duration. Is the intent that Lawful Good and Chaotic Good are immune to the effects normally affecting Lawful or Chaotic characters? What about Lawful Neutral (is it both Frightened and Charmed?). It's a cool feature, just needs the wording tightened up a bit, and maybe the range or number of targets reduced (right now it's functionally "every enemy within 30 feet"). 10 minute duration added, now it's just charm neutral creatures, frighten evil creatures, can't affect good creatures, and law/chaos is irrelevant.
Kensai: (Improved) Holy Strike's new form is much better. This is a good target point for other ki damage abilities in my opinion. Noted, and used to revamp Shadow Warrior.
Kensai: Flesh Made Whole is pretty underwhelming at 10th level (allow extra ki for upcasting maybe?) and it needs to specify a casting stat (I assume Wisdom). Done.
Master Samurai: Enhanced Fighting Style. I've been trying to think of good ways to handle a weapons' master for a while, and I think this direction is a good one for that.
Enhanced Iaijitsu: As with the base version, this is my number one pick. I get to go first more, which means I also get to add damage more frequently, and on top of that the added damage is higher.
Enhanced Great Bow: Unless you also have a revamped Sharpshooter, I'd skip this. Sharpshooter already ignores disadvantage for long range on top its other benefits. If you do have a revamped Sharpshooter I'm fine with that, it and GWM are a little too strong anyway. Now gain advantage inside original normal range.
Enhanced Five Rings: A nice boost. This actually does put Five Rings ahead of the base fighter's Two-Weapon Fighting, especially if ability modifiers are allowed on the reaction attacks. They do.
Enhanced Dairokkan: Studded Leather +Max Dex +Max Wis puts my Armor class at 22, without a shield. This is equal to a level 20 barbarian with 20 Dex and 24 Con (though the barbarian can also get a shield to pull ahead), and 1 higher than Full Plate + Protection + Shield in a baseline fighter. A little too strong; I would allow a max of +2 Wis regardless of armor worn (allowing you to replace your shield with a moderate Wisdom score). Done.
Enhanced Kenjutsu: For the same reasons as the base version, this doesn't actually improve the fighter's potential, unless they get both Enhanced Kenjutsu and Enhanced Dairokkan (unavailable until level 18). Might be too strong now, as it also gets dex and strength on damage.
Master Samurai: Weapon Master/Dedicated Warrior/Peak Warrior: I would put a limit here that these bonuses don't stack with magic weapons to keep the class in the expected accuracy bounds. Other than that should be fine.

Overall, I think that the subclasses have good thematics, but their balance needs a touchup. The damage output on Ronin is too high and too efficient for it to be the subclass with all the extra ki points. Kensai has a good ki-to-damage ratio but not enough ki to use it for very long; and Ki Divinity is too widely usable for its low cost. Master Samurai is just about right, but the Enhanced Fighting Styles are inconsistent in their power (a carry over from my concerns in the base fighting styles above). Ronin can now burst damage with the same ratio, but Kensai gained a couple more ki points and can burst heal. May adjust Ki Divinity to have a target limit and ability to spend more ki to target more creatures, maybe a number equal to Wisdom bonus per ki point?

Summary: I like the direction this class is taking. Some of the features are too widely applicable (esp. Ki Block and Shadow Warrior), and some of the fighting styles feel too lateral or situational (esp. Great Bow and Kenjutsu), but the theme is well fitted. Add more options for Strength-based Samurai and touch up some of the details above and I think you'll be in a good place. Let me know when you're ready for another look and I'll be happy to take one.I think the strength-based Samurai has better options now, but as I said before, this is for building stuff the fighter currently falls short of and is not a fighter replacement.
Sorry if I'm on here to much; take your time on looking over it again. I appreciate the in depth review. I will try to do the same, but, well, you see my sense of balance, so I'm not sure how helpful my opinions are.

KOLE
2019-06-02, 12:05 PM
I actually think it's too weak of a benefit. The base Ranger already has the Hunter archetype that at level 3 can add 1d8 dmg to an attack every turn. Adding even 1d10 to only your marked target is kind of weak.

Hunters only add a d8 once per turn. At level one, you're adding d4 to every attack against a single enemy, with TWF that's the same average two levels early, and it levels well because it scales with extra attack. Plus, by level 5, even if you're focusing on Dex over Wisdom, you can drop this 4-6 times an adventuring day.

Barbarians get crazy attack and damage bonuses through rage against all targets.

I think this is an unfair comparison since Barb's, notoriously, can ONLY deal damage, and even then only up close. This Ranger has a lot going for them.

At a glance, it looks like you are of the same opinion as me: the base ranger is two to three classes trying to be one class. I approve of the removal of spellcasting from the base class (and the inclusion of spellcasting in the Warden archetype, as it allows the ranger to focus on one identity as its core identity.)

This is a struggle for me. I enjoy half casters, they're a great niche and a terrific balance. I love casters but sometimes I wanna close the gap and do some damage. IMO, Ranger should be two different classes, a dedicated Switch Hitter badass, and a Half Caster with more focus on support and utility that leans further into Druid. But I understand the desire to not overbloat 5e. I think this might be the best compromise.

Favored Enemy: As much as I liked the idea of a ranger specializing in different prey, it doesn't translate well as a D&D class because either the feature is too weak to let other features be most of the power, or it's too strong and the class doesn't function when not fighting that type of prey. This version of favored enemy is better. Adding Quarry die every attack is also very nice for two-weapon-fighting ranger, though I worry about the relative power of archery or dueling ranger as a consequence. Relentless pursuer comes online at a good level where players should be thinking about taking more short rests, parallel to Font of Inspiration.

To me personally, Hunter's Mark is a no-brainer staple on any Ranger, as there's very little worth concentrating on in their repertoire. Favored Enemy is too ingrained to the identity to axe. So, it made perfect sense to combine the two, and bake it right into the class, sort of how Polymorph was baked into Druid as Wild Shape, and how Eldritch Blast is a core part of the Warlock (for better or worse). I too worry about how potent TWF is in this iteration, it's my primary concern for balancing this.

Ranger's Balm: An odd little support feature. It's okay as-is. I'm not sure about doubling constitution bonus with the 7th level upgrade. I would leave it at 1x Con bonus (they already get 1x Con from spending the dice). If you want to keep a larger bonus, maybe make it the Ranger's Wisdom plus the target's Con, so that low-Con characters still enjoy this.

My justification for this is Ranger's are terrific healers with Cure Wounds, Goodberry, and the notorious (and oft-banned) Healing Spirit. Losing spellcasting takes this away from them. I like the idea of "Ranger Salves" like the UA spell-less ranger, but find it awkward and clumsy in practice. Having them be short-rest healing helpers fits their identity in my mind and keeps that support element without taking anything from them in combat. Good note on the double-con point, I like your suggestion much better.

Skirmisher: I was worried about the damage output but then remembered that this uses the bonus action, preventing the offhand attacks with TWF. This is a fine alternate way to get that Quarry die for when your foe is out of reach.

Bonus Action implementation was very conscious balancing decision throughout this.

Ambusher: Like Skirmisher but for hiding. Somewhat weak for an 11th level feature (it gives you better Opportunity Attacks, but the stuff on your turn is just choosing which of three bonus actions you're going to use to get an extra quarry die; for TWF this is the weakest option (doesn't close distance, doesn't add Dex), for Archery it's a huge buff though because it's the only option for adding quarry dice on a bonus action. Archery (and Duelist) should probably get QD options earlier (as QD favor TWF by default).

I 100% understand where you're coming from here. I really struggled with the decision here. I wanted to put Skirmisher and Ambusher closer together in progression, but could not find a way to make it happen. More on this in another note.

Relentless Storm: It's good, though it competes with Skirmisher and Ambusher (and TWF) for your bonus action each round, it makes up for it with the extra 1d10+Weapon per turn (or 1d10+2xWeapon if you're ranged or duelist).

It serves two purposes: 1, it adds my favorite ranger spell (swift quiver) to the class so it's not lost, 2, it adds a little more in the scales to archery and duelist. You're getting a huge boost for those styles, and only a little extra for TWF.

Overall, I think that (and I can't believe I get to say this), options to allow Archery and Duelist to access Quarry Dice as well as TWF should exist earlier than they do. Two-Weapon Fighting gets 3 chances at quarry dice out the gate, and while Duelist can double up on quarry dice with Skirmisher at level 6, Archery doesn't get anything better than Attack+Extra Attack until Ambusher at 11. You've done it! You've made a class that's better at Two-Weapon Fighting than at other things!

Here's my justification for this: first of all, Ranger's are skewed towards TWF from the start. They are a class that leans heavily on Dex and get fighting styles. The fighting style is required to be good at TWF, and they get it. Ranger's get very little in return for going SnB, and they're already really good with a bow. To me, a ranger always has to choose between specializing in a bow or TWF. And the scales are tipped heavily in favor of the bow. Fighting at Range is really good in 5e. TWF leaves you behind in AC and very vulnerable. I wanted the choice to be harder, so TWF had to be competitive, especially when Sharpshooter is added to the equation. I think all in all there's still a decent balance here, but I'd like input on that. I may have to crunch some numbers.

As a note, the Beast and Gloom conclave are direct copies of the UA and XGtE entries, respectively. They are simply place holders while I convert them. The Hunter and Warden conclaves are rough drafts.

MoleMage
2019-06-05, 02:36 PM
I think the strength-based Samurai has better options now, but as I said before, this is for building stuff the fighter currently falls short of and is not a fighter replacement.
Sorry if I'm on here to much; take your time on looking over it again. I appreciate the in depth review. I will try to do the same, but, well, you see my sense of balance, so I'm not sure how helpful my opinions are.

Looking over your changes I think you've addressed the problems I mentioned fairly well. Enhanced Great Bow does give me rogue multiclassing concerns, but I'm not actually sure the 2d6 lost sneak attack dice are worth it; getting sneak attack in 5e isn't exactly difficult normally.

For the Theurge, if you can't analyze balance that's fine. It has a lot of stuff going on, so balance is going to be a little blurry until it's tested in play. I am interested in whether the class's new mechanics look fun, though. I'm considering toning down the number of sorceries known/channeled to about 70-80% of what it is now; each individual sorcery has a lot of options and there's no resource cost to change what you're channeling.

Today marks the half-way point on the core class's sorceries. If you include the 6 Calling-exclusive sorceries that means I'm at 11 out of 26 sorceries written! Woo! Newly added: Augur, Caelum, Corpus, Daemonis.

MoleMage
2019-06-12, 08:25 AM
So my internet went out in a storm last week and I am waiting on my replacement equipment to arrive so I can resume updating the Theurge. How is everyone else's entries coming? Feeling good? Bout a month left.

EDIT: Went out to a public wifi spot today to get a little progress in. The Theurge Sorceries now have a new post because I hit the word limit on the old one. I'm now finished with 14 out of 20 base sorceries (Everything through Fortuna plus Vitae). The Theurge itself is updated with a slower progression of both sorceries known and sorceries channeled.

Fnissalot
2019-06-25, 05:53 AM
Added the warden, my take on the ranger. It is a ranger that has been flipped around a bit and is instead structured more like a warlock? It gains much of its versability through its tricks (its version of invocations). That is combined with choices of favoured terrain that give more flavourful differences and its prey being the flavour of the subclasses. The class does not have any spellcasting in its base package, instead you get a familiar like animal companion that can be upgraded through the tricks. The tricks are also flavoured around druidic and ritual magic, mobile combat feats, and survival skills.

I took far longer than expected to finish a full class. I have no idea about the balance on a lot of the things. It became a bit too many options for me to get a full overview of all of them. Some are meant to be more beneficial while other are more thematic.

MoleMage
2019-06-25, 03:57 PM
Added the warden, my take on the ranger. It is a ranger that has been flipped around a bit and is instead structured more like a warlock? It gains much of its versability through its tricks (its version of invocations). That is combined with choices of favoured terrain that give more flavourful differences and its prey being the flavour of the subclasses. The class does not have any spellcasting in its base package, instead you get a familiar like animal companion that can be upgraded through the tricks. The tricks are also flavoured around druidic and ritual magic, mobile combat feats, and survival skills.

I took far longer than expected to finish a full class. I have no idea about the balance on a lot of the things. It became a bit too many options for me to get a full overview of all of them. Some are meant to be more beneficial while other are more thematic.

It is a bit of an investment, but it looks like you finished all your polish up before bringing it in, which adds a bit to it (whereas I still have like 9 sorceries to write and a little less than two weeks to write them...guh).

Some feedback for Warden:

Base Class
As with the Revised Ranger above, you have removed spells. My reasoning that this is a good idea still holds.
I like the introduction of Territory-specific effects that work anywhere. This solves the biggest problem with Natural Explorer.
I hadn't really considered making the Favored Enemy the subclass before seeing this. It seems like a good way to introduce a bunch of features related to, but not exclusive to, the favored foe. Kudos.
Animal Companion is now built into the base class. This is a mixed blessing; it would mean that there's a pet-using base class (right now there isn't), but it also means a lot of bookkeeping. It is otherwise fine.
It's odd to me that Tools of the Land doesn't arrive until 2 levels after you pick your first Territory, but I recognize that this is necessary for feature spacing.
Senses of the Predators: Why is the proficiency bonus doubled only for passive perception?

Tricks

I like that you've put the beast improvements into tricks. This allows the ranger to have the utility companion for free but invest if they want it to be a primary combat ally.
Ditto the magic-like tricks. Some of the ranger's old tendencies show through without being mandatory.
I did somewhat expect Fighting Styles to be in the base class, but I can understand putting them here, and it opens up options for Rangers who don't want to use one of the Fighting Style weapon types (such as reach weapons).
Lifeforce of the Wild could have a larger usage pool (maybe half level instead) and still be balanced, especially considering that Rangers gave up their baseline healing ability.
I would have liked Hunter's Mark or a similar function to appear as a trick, as it was an iconic spell of the original class.

Banes

Titansbane really captures the idea of fighting large enemies while giving smaller benefits against small enemies. This is about what I expected to find when I saw how you had split out the subclasses, so well done.
Primalbane: You should specify where Primordial Ward is located, since it isn't in the PHB. This is just a personal preference.
Horrorsbane: This might be my favorite subclass in the thread. Fringe Insight should probably also reveal Sunlight Sensitivity (it also has a typo "if it is affected by in[sic] magical darkness").
Horrorsbane: The "condition fear" should be the "frightened condition".
Myriadsbane: Domino Effect is great. Really sells the killing hordes of mooks fantasy of the subclass.
Shiftersbane: Clad in Armaments comes along pretty late, but given the flexibility of this subclass that should be fine.

Overall, your subclasses are top notch, and the base class is pretty good too. I noticed a lot of your features use "do an action" where the normal wording would be "take an action", and at least one case in Magebane said "do a saving throw" where the normal is "make a saving throw". I recommend a general proofreading pass in a day or so. But for actual design I think this is great, especially for your first entry.

MoleMage
2019-06-26, 11:52 AM
The latest update represents the completion of all standard Theurge sorceries. I still need to do the calling-only sorceries, but every subclass except Nature and Storm is technically playable, and all of those except Light and Trickery are fully complete.

Fnissalot
2019-06-26, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Base Class
As with the Revised Ranger above, you have removed spells. My reasoning that this is a good idea still holds. I agree!
I like the introduction of Territory-specific effects that work anywhere. This solves the biggest problem with Natural Explorer. Thanks! I didn't want the terrain choice to feel superficial or too situational.
I hadn't really considered making the Favored Enemy the subclass before seeing this. It seems like a good way to introduce a bunch of features related to, but not exclusive to, the favored foe. Kudos. Thanks!
Animal Companion is now built into the base class. This is a mixed blessing; it would mean that there's a pet-using base class (right now there isn't), but it also means a lot of bookkeeping. It is otherwise fine. I did this to give the class a bit more identity. I think the current ranger has an mechanical lack of identity in 5e. It suffers from being inbetween one spell (hunters mark) and having a bunch of skills.
It's odd to me that Tools of the Land doesn't arrive until 2 levels after you pick your first Territory, but I recognize that this is necessary for feature spacing. It was placed there due to spacing. It was earlier at first but it looked too frontloaded. I could switch it with the second trick.
Senses of the Predators: Why is the proficiency bonus doubled only for passive perception? I wrote the first part of the feature first andwanted the ability too feel more like reliable senses rather than extremely high values. I couldn't think of a better way to handle the passive perception in the same way.

Tricks

I like that you've put the beast improvements into tricks. This allows the ranger to have the utility companion for free but invest if they want it to be a primary combat ally. Thanks!
Ditto the magic-like tricks. Some of the ranger's old tendencies show through without being mandatory. Thanks!
I did somewhat expect Fighting Styles to be in the base class, but I can understand putting them here, and it opens up options for Rangers who don't want to use one of the Fighting Style weapon types (such as reach weapons). Most will probably choose it, but I don't think it is important enough to force it on players. If you want to be more spellbased, get more hunting utility, or focus on your companion you can do so first.
Lifeforce of the Wild could have a larger usage pool (maybe half level instead) and still be balanced, especially considering that Rangers gave up their baseline healing ability. I was carefull with this to not overdo it. I did not want it to step on the toes of the other healing options. I think half level will be too much if you can also replenish them by expending uses of your tricks.
I would have liked Hunter's Mark or a similar function to appear as a trick, as it was an iconic spell of the original class. I avoided that spell on purpose. It is in my opinion destructive for the class. Why should you ever use your spell slots for anything else? But I kept half of it, the Tracker's Mark trick is the spell without the bonus damage to weapon attacks.

Banes

Titansbane really captures the idea of fighting large enemies while giving smaller benefits against small enemies. This is about what I expected to find when I saw how you had split out the subclasses, so well done. Thanks and I agree that it is expected. =)
Primalbane: You should specify where Primordial Ward is located, since it isn't in the PHB. This is just a personal preference. Good point!
Horrorsbane: This might be my favorite subclass in the thread. Fringe Insight should probably also reveal Sunlight Sensitivity (it also has a typo "if it is affected by in[sic] magical darkness"). Thanks! That fits as well!
Horrorsbane: The "condition fear" should be the "frightened condition". Good point!
Myriadsbane: Domino Effect is great. Really sells the killing hordes of mooks fantasy of the subclass.
Shiftersbane: Clad in Armaments comes along pretty late, but given the flexibility of this subclass that should be fine.

Overall, your subclasses are top notch, and the base class is pretty good too. I noticed a lot of your features use "do an action" where the normal wording would be "take an action", and at least one case in Magebane said "do a saving throw" where the normal is "make a saving throw". I recommend a general proofreading pass in a day or so. But for actual design I think this is great, especially for your first entry. Thanks and I will look over this when I get time!

MoleMage
2019-07-01, 03:56 PM
One week left to make your edits or post your down-to-the-wire entries, everyone!

I'm still interested in feedback on the Theurge if anyone feels up to it.

Bloodcloud
2019-07-05, 10:26 PM
I'm gonna vote for an extension... got something mostly cooked up, would be done with extension but can't post for now.

MoleMage
2019-07-06, 07:11 PM
I'm gonna vote for an extension... got something mostly cooked up, would be done with extension but can't post for now.

Would two weeks be a long enough extension? I'm happy to implement one if it means one more entry.

Bloodcloud
2019-07-06, 09:59 PM
I’ll make it work

Bloodcloud
2019-07-06, 10:36 PM
I posted what I already have. Shows i'm actually up to something, and allows some critics of the base class

MoleMage
2019-07-10, 04:17 AM
I should have some time Thursday afternoon to get a review of your entry up. I've also updated the end time in the contest post (or will have in the next couple minutes).

MoleMage
2019-07-13, 12:42 PM
Remixed Warlock

The order you've presented things in is slightly chaotic. I understand why you did it this way but as I compare it to normal warlock there's a lot of jumping back and forth necessary.

Pact of the Blade got the biggest changes here, most of which function to put the essential invocations into the baseline feature. This is a good idea, if your goal is to draw some of the essential power out of invocations.
Pact of the Chain: I understand some of the spell choices here, but some of the others make less sense. Animate Objects and Bigby's Hand don't actually involve summoning something so much as creating it, so although they create a new body on the field under the caster's control, they feel like they erode the theme somewhat.
Pact of the Tome: This got the least amount of change to it. At first I felt like the level 5 upgrade was the weakest option (without added damage, this just provides more safety), but upon further thought the idea of splitting certain cantrips with powerful riders, like ray of frost, is actually really attractive. This is probably fine, offering the warlock something more creative to do with its spell-slot downtime than just Hex+Eldritch Blast.

Invocations: I like that you've kept the flavorful invocations, but it seems like you were trying to shift some of the invocation overhead onto Pacts, and all of the Eldritch Blast invocation overhead (the "basic" warlock) are still here, and adding new invocations to increase the power of each pact means you've just increased the power of the pacts overall, as they now get to add their new invocations on top of the power that got shifted from their old ones.
Cursed Servant: Specters are pretty powerful creatures for a level 6 to just have as a pet. Even with the restrictions, this is stronger than necessary. For comparison, Animate Dead creates a Skeleton or a Zombie (both challenge 1/4 compared to the specter's 1) and comes online at level 5. I'd either increase the level requirement to 11 (equivalent to the more powerful Create Undead), or change the creature animated by this effect.
Dreadful Word: You've increased the number of uses for confusion to a point where it may as well be a spell known. This applies to other invocations that used to be "cast using slot once" and are now "cast using slot a number of times equal to Charisma" as well. If you want to increase the availability of these, I recommend upgrading their refresh to short rest instead. This allows it to be cast once each time you regain slots, but not spammed.
Eldritch Arsenal: This could be two invocations easily. I would split the ability to create ranged pacts weapons into a separate invocation.
Eldritch Secrets: Again, this is two invocations. I like the idea of improving the usability of non-scaling or poorly-scaling spells on the warlock list, but the Mystic Arcanum effect should be a separate invocation.
Mire the Mind, Sculptor of Flesh, Sign of Ill Omen, Undead Servants: See Dreadful Word above.
Undead Servants: Specifically in this case, I think that allowing Animate Dead to be spammed is problematic. If it was just the initial creation, it would be one thing, but it's important to remember that one casting of Animate Dead retains control over 3 extra previously created undead, allowing build-up over time. Limiting it to once per day puts a cap on the number you can build up that you've effectively quintupled with this change.
Witch Sight: The bonus against disguise feels tacked on and unnecessary.

Overall, it's a good start, but I think you need to commit to either putting power into Pacts or into Invocations to a greater degree, and your new Invocations are doing more than they should relative to base invocations. Depending on how you handle patrons, it also comes out looking like just buffs to certain warlock features rather than a rebuilt version of the warlock.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-07-13, 01:02 PM
Yikes, better get on this!

Okay, I’m thinking trading the traditional Druid for a Geomancer that attuned to their environment. Subclasses are based on terrain type. Wildshape will carry over but be limited to creatures native to the environment, Thinking of shrinking the spell list to something more like Invocations from warlocks.

Key component is the PC attunes to a new environment automatically after a long rest in the area. At mid tier it only takes a short rest to attune (since teleports might be an issue at that time). And at high level you might be able to swap out as an action

MoleMage
2019-07-22, 09:35 AM
The contest's time is up! Voting has begun!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?593343-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-VII-Voting-Thread

Voting thread will stay up for two weeks and then we'll start it all again with a new contest!

MoleMage
2019-08-02, 03:44 PM
Sorry I haven't been keeping a running total of votes and took so long to vote. I usually try to keep up better but Fire Emblem happened. Two and a bit days still to go on voting, and KOLE's Ranger Remixed holds a 3 point lead! Still haven't seen votes from KOLE, Kyutaru, sengmeng, or Bloodcloud though, so it could go any direction!

MoleMage
2019-08-05, 08:55 AM
Alright, the voting period is up and it's time to call the results!

In 3rd place, with 7 points, we have Fnissalot's Warden! This ranger remake lets you apply specialized knowledge of foes and terrain in a wider world.

In 2nd place, with 8 points, we have MoleMage's Theurge! This alternate magic system cleric can be built to many different playstyles.

And in 1st place, with 9 points, we have KOLE's Ranger Remixed! Another ranger remake, this one instead focuses on applying special Quarry Dice to a variety of situations, from combat to tracking and more.

Congrats to our winners! The theme which drew the most interest was Magic Without Slots, so look for Contest VIII shortly.

New chat thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594570-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-VIII-Chat-Thread&p=24070925#post24070925
New contest thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594571-D-amp-D-Base-Class-Contest-VIII-Magic-Without-Slots&p=24070927#post24070927