PDA

View Full Version : Giant wasp Totem barbarian idea

richardbob123
2019-05-13, 02:37 PM
one of my players decided they want to take a giant wasp as a totem animal and i need help make the coming up with ideas , one of my ideas is they will be able to make unarmed attack something like the monks marital arts

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-13, 02:57 PM
one of my players decided they want to take a giant wasp as a totem animal and i need help make the coming up with ideas , one of my ideas is they will be able to make unarmed attack like the monks marital arts

I could have sworn that I responded to someone's request about a Giant Wasp totem type, using unarmed strikes/poisons. Although that was like 6 months/a year ago or so.

Wasps attack by striking hard and fast, using their stinger to paralyze larger prey.

Barbarian Totems rely on being modular and having the level 3 and 14 features work off of each other, while also making so that they are not required to be used together. We also want to create some incentive for Monks to take these features, but while also not directly making the Monk inherently more powerful. We want to add versatility without making any possible build overpowered.

So my recommendation is:

Level 3: Your unarmed strikes now deal additional poison damage equal to your Rage bonus. Additionally, if you hit an opponent with an unarmed strike, you can spend your Bonus Action to force all targets you hit with unarmed strikes this turn to make a Saving Throw or be Poisoned until the start of your next turn. The DC for this Saving Throw is equal to 8 + Constitution Modifier + Proficiency.

Level 6: You are immune to poisons, diseases and poison damage, and you can detect any poisons or diseases within 30 feet of you.

Level 14: Creatures you hit lose their Reaction. If you hit two different creatures with melee attacks from your Action, you can make a melee weapon attack against a third creature with your Bonus Action.

Vogie
2019-05-13, 03:02 PM
one of my players decided they want to take a giant wasp as a totem animal and i need help make the coming up with ideas , one of my ideas is they will be able to make unarmed attack like the monks marital arts

Totem Spirit
Giant Wasp- While you're raging and aren't wearing heavy armor, other creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attack rolls against you, and whenever you deal piercing damage with light weapons the target must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 3d6 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The DC of it was 8+ your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. At level 14, the damage type changes to acid.

If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but Poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is Paralyzed while Poisoned in this way.

Aspect of the Beast
Giant Wasp- Your jump distance is doubled, you take no falling damage and can always land on your feet, unless you are incapacitated.

Totemic Attunement
Giant Wasp- While you're raging you can use a bonus action on your turn to surround yourself with a magical aura that looks like buzzing insects. The aura extends 5 feet from you in every direction, but not through total cover. It lasts until you're incapacitated or you dismiss it as a bonus action. The aura grants you advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks but disadvantage on all other Charisma checks. Any other creature that starts its turn in the aura takes necrotic damage equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 0 damage).

Tallytrev813
2019-05-13, 03:16 PM
Heres an interesting thought, making the "Wasp Totem" a different style of tanking that involves +AC and +Damage to those that hit you:

Totem Spirit: Wasp
While you're raging your skin is altered into an exoskeleton. As long as you're not wearing any armor, for the duration of your rage you gain +3 AC and +3 to saving throws on spells targeting you.

Aspect of the Beast: Wasp
Your knowledge of flowers and plant life grows greatly. You gain proficiency with Herbalism kits and the knowledge to identify any flower or small plant and any properties it holds (Poisonous, healing herb, causes sleep, etc). Additionally, you have the ability to "magically pollinate" any flowers you are carrying, and grow double the number of said flowers after leaving it in the ground for 1 week.

Totemic Atunement: Wasp
While raging, your exoskeleton develops small poisonous barbs across your armorless body. Whenever you strike an enemy within 5 ft, an enemy strikes you from within 5 feet, an enemy attempts to grapple you, or an enemy attempts the disengage action, they risk being stabbed by one of these barbs. The enemy then makes a Constitution saving throw (DC = 8 + Proficiency bonus + Dexterity modifier). On a failed save, the target takes 3d6 poison damage.

I really think this lvl 14 Totemic Attunement ability is cool. This allows a Sword/Board Barbarian to depend on +AC rather than Huge HP+ 1/2 damage, and it allows high damage if you use things like Sentinel to gain a lot of opportunity attacks and prevent them from running.