PDA

View Full Version : Kobold arcane trickster/spellwarped sniper build help

Dragconixs
2019-05-13, 04:39 PM
First post ever. Could anyone offer spell ideas. Im a rouge 4 and will be add scorcer next level. My dm will allow any of the 3.5 supplements.

Kaleph
2019-05-13, 04:52 PM
Are you using rays to deal sneak attacks?

In that case I'd take some orb, and then possibly the feat acidic burst. You can probably search some sorcerer guide online for the best blasting spells pound by pound.

If it's allowed, alter self is powerful and flexible for every character, especially a sorcerer, who hasn't that many spells known.

There are also spells that improve your precision damage, like critical strike.

Another area where you could invest something are the spells that make you sneakier; invisibility and the likea are the first places where I'd search.

Besides the spells, I'd consider the option to enter unseen seen fast, eventually as a filler before you get arcane trickster.

So far for the generic help; can you provide also more details about your plan, so that we can be more precise?

Falontani
2019-05-13, 04:58 PM
What race are you? Why are you leaving rogue at level 4? How much spellcasting do you actually want? Is there a reason you have chosen sorcerer? (Not trying to sway you yet)

Kaleph
2019-05-13, 05:04 PM
What race are you? Why are you leaving rogue at level 4? How much spellcasting do you actually want? Is there a reason you have chosen sorcerer? (Not trying to sway you yet)

Race it's kobold, that's why sorcerer.
I also believe he's playing withour fractional BAB.

Dragconixs
2019-05-13, 05:13 PM
Playing as a Kobold to be different. I'm at level 4 in the game I'm playing right now. My dm advised my to go 4 lvls in rouge to get uncanny douge. Then go to scorcer at 5 to go into arcane trickster.

Dragconixs
2019-05-13, 05:23 PM
Try to do ray sneak attacks do to most of my party dose physical damage

Kaleph
2019-05-13, 05:37 PM
Playing as a Kobold to be different. I'm at level 4 in the game I'm playing right now. My dm advised my to go 4 lvls in rouge to get uncanny douge. Then go to scorcer at 5 to go into arcane trickster.

With this progression you enter arcane trickster at level 11, isn't it a bit late?

Dragconixs
2019-05-13, 06:06 PM
With this progression you enter arcane trickster at level 11, isn't it a bit late?
It kinda is but this is only my 2ed game so my dm is helping me plain as we go

Dragconixs
2019-05-13, 07:01 PM
Are you using rays to deal sneak attacks?

In that case I'd take some orb, and then possibly the feat acidic burst. You can probably search some sorcerer guide online for the best blasting spells pound by pound.

If it's allowed, alter self is powerful and flexible for every character, especially a sorcerer, who hasn't that many spells known.

There are also spells that improve your precision damage, like critical strike.

Another area where you could invest something are the spells that make you sneakier; invisibility and the likea are the first places where I'd search.

Besides the spells, I'd consider the option to enter unseen seen fast, eventually as a filler before you get arcane trickster.

So far for the generic help; can you provide also more details about your plan, so that we can be more precise?
Planing on sniping people with my magic. My character is super squishy so he likes to stay out of getting hit.

Falontani
2019-05-13, 07:06 PM
Kobold rogue 4. I don't know your feats so I'll assume you don't have the ones I'll list:
5 sorcerer, grab two divination spells. Probably Sniper's Shot and Targeting Ray.
6 unseen seer, grab draconic reservoir.
7-9 unseen seer, Greater draconic Rite of passage
10-14 spellwarp sniper, practiced spellcaster: sorcerer
15 (the divergent level) spellthief, master spellthief
16 warlock
17-20 eldritch theurge
Or
15-20 Arcane Trickster

Dragconixs
2019-05-14, 03:21 PM
Kobold rogue 4. I don't know your feats so I'll assume you don't have the ones I'll list:
5 sorcerer, grab two divination spells. Probably Sniper's Shot and Targeting Ray.
6 unseen seer, grab draconic reservoir.
7-9 unseen seer, Greater draconic Rite of passage
10-14 spellwarp sniper, practiced spellcaster: sorcerer
15 (the divergent level) spellthief, master spellthief
16 warlock
17-20 eldritch theurge
Or
15-20 Arcane Trickster
The feats I have are point blank shot and precise shot. By the time I found the dragonic passage feat I was to high lvl to get it

ottdmk
2019-05-14, 04:33 PM
Hmnn. So, if you were going to go to 20th level, you'd be looking at Rogue 4/Sorcerer 4/Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 7. Could be fun... I'm playing a Rogue 1/Diviner 4/Unseen Seer 7 at the moment and looking to go Arcane Trickster for Levels 16-20. (I was considering Spellwarp Sniper, but I didn't want to get Point Blank Shot and I like the strong Reflex and Will Saves on the AT.)

So, for your first Sorcerer Level: As far as your Level 0 Cantrips go, a Sneak Attacker like yourself can't go wrong with Acid Splash. It's a weapon-like spell, ranged touch attack, perfect for sneak attacking. The rest of your Cantrips I'd go with utility stuff. Prestidigitation is a classic "make your mage's life easier" spell. Read Magic makes Scrolls easy. Detect Magic is an obvious one. You could take all four of these and have a Known Spell left over.

For your 1st Level spells... you might want to consider something strictly utilitarian, like Mage Armor. Unless you've lucked into some mithral, armor and arcane spellcasters don't mix terribly well. Damage wise, I'd go with one of the Orb of [ENERGY], Lesser from the Spell Compendium. Again, weapon-like spells, no Spell Resistance, no Saving Throw, works well with Sneak Attack if you catch an enemy flat-footed.

Keep a close eye on your Skill Point allocation. Both Spellwarp Sniper and Arcane Trickster need a lot of Skill Points in the right skills.

Falontani
2019-05-14, 04:35 PM
The feats I have are point blank shot and precise shot. By the time I found the dragonic passage feat I was to high lvl to get it

It's not a feat. You still meet the prerequisites. As long as your dm says it's ok all you need is the gem.

Dragconixs
2019-05-18, 08:52 PM
It's not a feat. You still meet the prerequisites. As long as your dm says it's ok all you need is the gem.

A spell used under the right dose not count as a spell slot space if I understand it right

Dragconixs
2019-06-01, 12:09 PM
Thinking of getting a familiar any recamanadtions

Silentline
2019-06-01, 04:28 PM
Your idea is sound. And its one I rather enjoy. Perhaps this will help you make things easier. I tried the breath weapon thing at first but it just didn't sync up the way I wanted. The warlock though is a good step to push. I was interested in the metamagic feats a bit more though which counted the sorcerer thing out. I find the marrulurk is quite the sneak attacker/charisma based death attacker but sucks up some racial levels which was not an option for me at the time I researched what to play.

Domain Wizard (Fire) 6+/ Rogue 1/ Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 8

Helpful Feats:
Split Ray,Pyro,Craven,Energy Substituition(Fire),Subdual Substituition,Aquatic Spellcasting,Silent Spell,Swift Concentration,Conceal Spellcasting,False Theurgy,
Searing Spell,Controlled Immolation,Spell Mastery,Stealthy,Group Fake Out,Timely Misdirection, Shrouded Dance.

Spellbook ideas: Burning hands, Scorching Ray, Fire Ball, Body Blaze, Wall of Fire, Wall of Magma, Searing Exposure, Sun Flame Strike,

Other useful theme adds: Dispel Water, Desiccate, Desiccate Mass, Parching Touch, Magical Backlash(Use energy Substituition (Fire) for its damage),Tormenting Thirst (for interrogation purposes or weakening traveling heros from the shadows.), Unearthly Heat, Wither.

I love kobolds. But the idea fell to a human because of the cross classing. The enemies morale failure panic is funny.

Dragconixs
2019-07-15, 07:21 PM
Was wondering if this would be a good idea
Fell drain* ( or a starter recemend metamagic feat)
Energy substitute (acid)
Energy admixer
Acid do to having my kobold having a black dragon heritage