PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Drider made from other races?

TheChangelingMC
2019-05-13, 07:53 PM
With my party heading into the Underdark, and my homebrew setting having the gods in physical form spread across the land, there's a slim chance they may actually run into Lolth. Whilst I'm not expecting them to fight her (they just hit level 7), I've been toying with the idea of cursing one of them should they be foolish enough to mess with her.

Basically I'm wondering if Drider are only ever drow and I have to homebrew this or if there's any existing lore of other races being cursed in the same way or if it acts differently. I couldn't find anything googling around so I thought I'd ask here.

Lupine
2019-05-13, 08:40 PM
I believe current lore is that when Lloth wants to create a new high priestess, she chooses some promising drow, and puts them into a test. Success leads to priesthood, and failure leads to drider....hood? I think that this would indicate that all driders are drow.

Galithar
2019-05-13, 08:43 PM
I believe current lore is that when Lloth wants to create a new high priestess, she chooses some promising drow, and puts them into a test. Success leads to priesthood, and failure leads to drider....hood? I think that this would indicate that all driders are drow.

But doesn't necessarily indicate that they MUST be Drow. How often does Lloth test a non-drow? Never?

So basically what I'm saying is they probably don't exist, but it seems perfectly within Lloths power to create one of she chose to.

Griswold
2019-05-13, 08:44 PM
Driders are drow worshippers of Lolth who attempted (and failed) the tests their goddess puts them through when they reach ~7th level. Lore-wise, I don't think there are any non-drow who have been cursed by Lolth to become driders, or any other gods that do similar things to failed worshippers. I guess the yuan-ti transform humans into half-snake people, but that's about it. But there's no reason you can't make it a thing in your game!

It'd be easy to homebrew too: just choose a creature to fuse them with, and then give them the movement rates of that creature. Drider just has a climb speed, a spider climb, and web-walker ability. Optionally also add a natural attack if it's

Or if you're extremely lazy, you can curse one of your players to become a half-human half-horse "drider". See how long it takes them to get the joke.

Lupine
2019-05-13, 08:49 PM
Or if you're extremely lazy, you can curse one of your players to become a half-human half-horse "drider". See how long it takes them to get the joke.

That is beautiful and I will find a way to steal it for my group.

PhantomSoul
2019-05-13, 09:23 PM
That is beautiful and I will find a way to steal it for my group.

I'm with you there... that's fantastic. (And can be fluffed as related to my world having one kind of Lycanthropy, such that Wererats and Wereraven and Werewolves and the like are just different outcomes of the same disease-borne curse on different individuals.)

Finback
2019-05-13, 09:35 PM
On a tangent, there's nothing to say other deities/mad powers might not do their own thing. I can't recall if it's the Creature Codex or the Tome of Beasts, but I know there's one 3rd party book with orc/centipede "driders", so if you can find a good story tangent, why not do it? Maybe some mad wizard wants to show how their creations are superior to anything Lolth can do - or maybe Lolth is bored and wants to torture some other beings.

(edit: I might be thinking of these, from Pathfinder - https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Oronci)