PDA

View Full Version : Vengeance palladin , Monster hunter ranger help

Shuruke
2019-05-14, 07:52 AM
So mainly doing this for rp reasons and although its mad I had a fun idea on only taling the buff spells

Main one catching my eye is Zephyr strike ranger spell

And vengeance for the channel divinity where you mark a target and gain advantage on attacks against them

Monster slayer has the hunter mark like feature

So with dual wielding I feel like this could be pretty good

My issue is I really like the idea of 19-20 crit and action surge 3 fighter gives (champion)

So what order should I do this?
Way I'm seeing it is focus on what I see as iconic for this build which would be Zephyr strike and champion
I could have both of those by level 5
But that would put multi attack off till 8 which isn't a huge deal.

Standard array
Half orc
14 str +2
9 con -1
13 dex +1
10 int +0
14 wis +2
15 cha +2

Starting 1 fighter would give con save proficiency (which I think would be a good idea to help with the -1 that won't be able to go 0 till my second asi)

Then 2 ranger
Damage would look like
1d6+2 and bonus action 1d6+4
Idea is with Zephyr strike up I can throw go in melee attack with bonus action and dueling and then back out drawing another axe next turn
During the duration can make an attack with advantage and add d8

Level 4 id get action surge

Level 5 id get 19-20 crit

Then 3 levels would get me dual wielder and extra attack for the same kinda ordeal of throw 1 make 2 attacks

First turn
Ideally starring with 1 in hand
Bonus action Zephyr
Throw one for 1d6+4
Draw 2 make melee attack for 1d6+2

Second turn
Bonus action monster hunter
2 attacks 2d6+2
Third turn

Throw one 2d6+2
Bonus action 2d6+4 +1d8 (advantage)
Extra attack 2d6+4
Action surge 2x 2d6+4

Weapon juggling like this probably isn't best idea mechanically
But I really enjoy the theatrics

And on turns where I only need to draw one weapon I can just object inredaction to pick up a previously thrown one (theatrically reflavoring it as catching it after it bouncing off of them)

Plan is to use hand axes upgrading to javelins with dual wielder
These are theatrically re flavored as a mix of thanos sword and draven spinning axe

Nidgit
2019-05-14, 10:14 AM
Unless there's been a rule change, Slayer's Prey only fires once per turn. Your third turn would mostly be more 1d6s instead of 2d6s.

Also, is dual-wielding central to your concept? With the multiple bonus actions you're taking as set up, you're really not gaining much from wielding two axes instead of one. In fact, you're actually losing a half point of damage over those three rounds from if you just stuck with Dueling. Is there anything stopping you from just going throw-draw-attack each round instead?

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-14, 12:25 PM
I'm with Nidgit on this.

The problem is the number of Bonus Actions everything takes.

Casting Hunter's Mark or Zephyr Strike? That's a turn you're not using TWF.
Using the Monster Slayer feature? That's another turn you're not TWF.
Using your Vengeance Paladin Enmity effect? That's another turn you're not TWF.

You're looking at not using TWF for the first three turns. That's a problem if the fight only lasts 3-4 rounds total.

To support more of what you're looking for, I'd recommend a Ranger subclass that doesn't use your Bonus Action. Gloomstalker or Hunter are both great examples. You'd be better able to take advantage of your attack bonuses when you replace an attack bonus with just straight up more attacks.

Shuruke
2019-05-15, 07:24 AM
Yeah I had misread monster Hunter, since its only once per turn I'm probably gonna do Collosus slayer

And I could I just like the idea of having choice between one or other

Will probably only twf if I hunter mark

The main idea is on first turn I do some kind of buff
Whether hunter mark, vengeance divinity, or Zephyr

Thanks for help !! I might also look at gloom stalker and just reflavor it to better fit what I'm going for