PDA

View Full Version : Creating a new Wondrous Item

Mars Ultor
2019-05-14, 08:09 AM
I'm a Fighter/Rogue, in the future I'll most likely be taking a level or two of Cleric for campaign reasons. I'd actually like a bird to act as a familiar, but I don't see a way of doing that unless I take a level of Wizard/Sorcerer which wouldn't make sense. Is there a way for a non-Wizard/Sorcerer to get a familiar?

Assuming that's not possible, I'd like to propose the creation of a new Wondrous Item to my DM, but I want to have the details worked out ahead of time. It would be called a "Glove of Falconry," and would allow the wearer to Speak with Animals (Birds only) while wearing the glove.

According to the book, the pricing would be for a Use activated item, Spell Level (1) x Caster Level (1) x 2000 = 2,000 GP.

The glove only works while it's being worn, so it's use activated, not continuous, is that right? The additional price multiplier for it being a continuous item would not be relevant?

Since the item has limitations in that the wearer can only speak with birds, I'm thinking it should cost less. A full "Glove of Speak with Animals" would be 2,000 GP, one only applicable to a specific type of animal seems like it should be less expensive. Is there a modifier for the price of an item based on a limitation like that?

Mostly I'd use the glove to speak with birds and get them to scout ahead or perhaps to deliver a (written) message. What sort of information would a bird of normal intelligence be able to convey? Would they understand "Fly ahead and see if there are people on the road, then come back"? Can I specify distance to the the bird or is it just going to fly a random distance and return--or just keep flying? Can I tell it to bring a note to the guy in the red hat?

Finally, I'm wondering if it makes sense for the glove to have an additional ability, perhaps have the effect of a Charm Animal spell (birds only). I'm not sure how the Charm Animal effect would work, could anyone offer any suggestions? How should this feature be priced?

Or, am I going about this the wrong way and there's a better way for me to get a bird to act as a scout/messenger?

Bronk
2019-05-14, 08:32 AM
I'm a Fighter/Rogue, in the future I'll most likely be taking a level or two of Cleric for campaign reasons. I'd actually like a bird to act as a familiar, but I don't see a way of doing that unless I take a level of Wizard/Sorcerer which wouldn't make sense. Is there a way for a non-Wizard/Sorcerer to get a familiar?

Assuming that's not possible, I'd like to propose the creation of a new Wondrous Item to my DM, but I want to have the details worked out ahead of time. It would be called a "Glove of Falconry," and would allow the wearer to Speak with Animals (Birds only) while wearing the glove.

According to the book, the pricing would be for a Use activated item, Spell Level (1) x Caster Level (1) x 2000 = 2,000 GP.

The glove only works while it's being worn, so it's use activated, not continuous, is that right? The additional price multiplier for it being a continuous item would not be relevant?

Since the item has limitations in that the wearer can only speak with birds, I'm thinking it should cost less. A full "Glove of Speak with Animals" would be 2,000 GP, one only applicable to a specific type of animal seems like it should be less expensive. Is there a modifier for the price of an item based on a limitation like that?

Mostly I'd use the glove to speak with birds and get them to scout ahead or perhaps to deliver a (written) message. What sort of information would a bird of normal intelligence be able to convey? Would they understand "Fly ahead and see if there are people on the road, then come back"? Can I specify distance to the the bird or is it just going to fly a random distance and return--or just keep flying? Can I tell it to bring a note to the guy in the red hat?

Finally, I'm wondering if it makes sense for the glove to have an additional ability, perhaps have the effect of a Charm Animal spell (birds only). I'm not sure how the Charm Animal effect would work, could anyone offer any suggestions? How should this feature be priced?

Or, am I going about this the wrong way and there's a better way for me to get a bird to act as a scout/messenger?

A non wizard/sorcerer can get a familiar using the 'obtain familiar' feat, but still needs to be an arcane spell caster. There are also other classes that grant a familiar, like the hexblade.

A magic item that is always on when worn is a continuous item. Use activated would be if you took a standard action to turn it on, and then it worked for some sort of duration (possibly based on the spell), then turned off again, and it only worked a certain number of times per day. There are a few items that do that, and they do cost a couple thousand gold or so. There was a recent thread about it.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?586716-speak-wth-animals-items

To get a regular bird, you could use the 'wild cohort' feat. It gives you an animal in a way similar to a druid's animal companion.

To get a messenger bird, you could buy the feather token version, which is in the SRD.

Telonius
2019-05-14, 08:44 AM
It's campaign-specific, but Ravenloft has the "Knight of the Raven" prestige class for Good Divine casters. It gives you access to a Raven Harrier (basically a celestial raven helper that can annoy your enemies; you get a replacement raven the next day at no XP loss if it dies). The class is 9/10 casting and full BAB. Levels 1 and 2 don't progress your Turning, but 3rd level on does. You can speak with Ravens at level 1.

Kalkra
2019-05-14, 10:51 AM
Use activated would be if you took a standard action to turn it on, and then it worked for some sort of duration (possibly based on the spell), then turned off again, and it only worked a certain number of times per day.

That's command word. Use activated activates itself automatically, and usually has an instantaneous duration.

Segev
2019-05-14, 01:55 PM
Though the description is less appealing, it's entirely fluff and it does say the creator chooses the appearance, so you could commission a homunculus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/homunculus.htm) for your character that is formed to look like a bird.

Thurbane
2019-05-14, 05:58 PM
Here was a post I made recently about Speak With Animals items, in case it's relevant:

Malphegor may have been thinking of the Jaguar Mask (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041231a), which does indeed grant speak with animals (felines only) at will.

Found some other limited options, most of which have other abilities as well:

Acid Fang Dagger (A&EG p.98) speak with animals (reptiles only)
Belt of Lions (MoF p.154) speak with animals (felines only)
Dragonmark Rod of Handling (MoE p.113) speak with animals SLA - must have the relevant Dragonmark to use
Phoenix Helm (MIC p.118) speak with animals 1/day (birds only)
Trident of Fish Command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#tridentofFishCommand) speak with animals on the aquatic animals you have charmed

Also, aside from scrolls, eands and potions, there are also:

Eternal Wand (Bard 3, or Dark Hunter (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a) 2) (MIC p.159)
Minor Schema (MoE p.122)

Rebel7284
2019-05-14, 06:12 PM
One of the binder vestiges gets a bird. You can see out of its eyes too. 🐦

Thurbane
2019-05-14, 07:01 PM
One of the binder vestiges gets a bird. You can see out of its eyes too. 🐦

That's a great suggestion, especially for a Rogue type.

The Vestige is Malphas, and the ability is Birds Eye Viewing.

You can get access to it through 3 levels of Binder; 1 level of Binder + a feat (Improved Binding), or through use of 3 feats (Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige + Practiced Binder).

The benefits of this over other methods are that if the bird dies, you simply summon another next round. Also, you can use it for Trapfinding!

Another option is a Figurine of Wondrous Power, but it's a bit limited in it's applications:

Silver Raven
This silver figurine turns into a raven on command (but it retains its metallic consistency, which gives it hardness 10). Another command sends it off into the air, bearing a message just like a creature affected by an animal messenger spell. If not commanded to carry a message, the raven obeys the commands of its owner, although it has no special powers or telepathic abilities. It can maintain its nonfigurine status for only 24 hours per week, but the duration need not be continuous.

Faint enchantment and transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, animal messenger, animate objects; Price 3,800 gp.

Mars Ultor
2019-05-14, 10:58 PM
That's command word. Use activated activates itself automatically, and usually has an instantaneous duration.

So would the glove be use activated or something else?

Mars Ultor
2019-05-14, 11:01 PM
That's a great suggestion, especially for a Rogue type.

The Vestige is Malphas, and the ability is Birds Eye Viewing.

You can get access to it through 3 levels of Binder; 1 level of Binder + a feat (Improved Binding), or through use of 3 feats (Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige + Practiced Binder).

The benefits of this over other methods are that if the bird dies, you simply summon another next round. Also, you can use it for Trapfinding!

Another option is a Figurine of Wondrous Power, but it's a bit limited in it's applications:

Binder isn't an allowed class, we play core-only for classes and races, and even if it were acceptable that seems like an awful lot of effort just to get a bird.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-15, 12:12 AM
The Southern Magician feat allows you to cast spells as either arcane or divine, meaning you can qualify for the Obtain Familiar feat as a cleric.

Thurbane
2019-05-15, 07:38 PM
Use-activated or continuous: Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

1 x 1 x 2000 x 2 = 4,000gp.

If it's something that works whenever you're wearing, it's continuous, rather than use-activated, by my understanding.

As being limited to birds only, then DM might reduce the cost, say by 25% or 50%...

If you want to look at an existing item for comparison, maybe look at the Belt of Lions I quoted above. Convert it to a Glove, and change references from feline to avian. You may be able to reverse engineer a "semi-official" price from there (the Belt is worth 20,000gp - continues speak with animals [felines], +4 Cha checks with felines, +10 competence bonus to Move Silently and Tumble). Subtract costs of abilities you don't want.

Temotei
2019-05-15, 08:23 PM
The gloves would be continuous if they don't have to be activated for the effect. If they have to be activated, they're command word. Use-activated items are things that give their effects just by being used--potions, magic weapons, etc.

For price, I'd think about how much you'd be willing to spend for the ability to speak to birds. Personally, I'd compare it to a pearl of speech (MIC 118), which costs 600 gp. Speaking to birds is probably about as situational as a language, maybe even more situational, and that gives command once per day, too. I'd price the gloves between 300 and 500 gp, depending on whether you want to increase the price because gloves are kind of an unconventional slot for an item that effectively grants a language.

Thurbane
2019-05-15, 09:50 PM
I had similar issues pricing a custom item I was giving out to a player (my wife, was based on an actual ring she owns).

Ring of the Owl: +2 enhancement bonus to Wis, SNA III 1/day (giant owl only): I applied a discount (50% of normal cost) to the SNA aspect of the item since it could only summon one specific type of creature.

Bphill561
2019-05-15, 10:19 PM
Binder isn't an allowed class, we play core-only for classes and races, and even if it were acceptable that seems like an awful lot of effort just to get a bird.

Does this include PrC's as well? Getting a real familiar is going to be awful lot of effort even with access.

Fighter/Rogue/Divine Crusader 2 or Pious Templar 3/Mystic Wanderer 2

Divine Crusader or Pious Templar in place of cleric, both of which work well for the martial type (both complete divine). mystic Wanderer from Magic of Faerun advances divine casting and grants a familiar at level 2.

Looks like the item is already covered for the glove. Another option would be to use the for-mentioned pearl of speech and a +2 Intelligence item. A bird with an intelligence of 4 and a pearl should be able to speak for 4,600gp. Then the bird can speak to other people as well, although not all that great. Hmm, can you get a parrot?

To buy a bird, check out the warbeast template in Monster Manual II. Pay per HD, Legendary Eagle in the same book is a decently powered choice.

Add in charm items as you wish. You could even go with an intelligent item that can speak (a collar maybe) and train the bird.

Thurbane
2019-05-15, 10:57 PM
Really, the simplest core-only solution is to dip Druid...

Mars Ultor
2019-05-16, 03:22 PM
Really, the simplest core-only solution is to dip Druid...

I'm always hesitant about stuff like that. In my campaign, where I DM, I ask the players to provide reasonable explanations for why they're going to multiclass. I have a player who doesn't so much create a character as play the numbers, he'll try to combine anything if he thinks it gives him some advantage.

When I'm a player I keep that same philosophy. He's a Fighter/Rogue not because he's sneaky, but because he's the son of a general and was raised in court. He has an education and was taught history, etc., but was also expected to be a soldier. I put all my Rogue skill points into knowledge, diplomacy, etc. If you want someone to sneak around, hide, or pick a lock, I'm not your guy.

I've expressed no interest in being a druid and there's no compelling campaign reason to take it. We had a PC with a Raven familiar that we always used for scouting ahead, but they're gone. I liked the notion of having a bird for scouting and surveillance, but I'm not going to change my character just to get one. I figured a magic item might be useful, but I wanted to present a plan to the DM and not just ask him to create one. We get magic items in treasure, but he's not a fan of being able to go shopping for magic items, so there's a bit of roleplaying involved when you got to the wizards tower and see if they can craft an item.

Mars Ultor
2019-05-16, 03:25 PM
The gloves would be continuous if they don't have to be activated for the effect. If they have to be activated, they're command word. Use-activated items are things that give their effects just by being used--potions, magic weapons, etc.

For price, I'd think about how much you'd be willing to spend for the ability to speak to birds. Personally, I'd compare it to a pearl of speech (MIC 118), which costs 600 gp. Speaking to birds is probably about as situational as a language, maybe even more situational, and that gives command once per day, too. I'd price the gloves between 300 and 500 gp, depending on whether you want to increase the price because gloves are kind of an unconventional slot for an item that effectively grants a language.

I'll look into the pearl, that will give me a reasonable point of comparison, thanks for the suggestion.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-16, 06:16 PM
I'm always hesitant about stuff like that. In my campaign, where I DM, I ask the players to provide reasonable explanations for why they're going to multiclass. I have a player who doesn't so much create a character as play the numbers, he'll try to combine anything if he thinks it gives him some advantage.

When I'm a player I keep that same philosophy. He's a Fighter/Rogue not because he's sneaky, but because he's the son of a general and was raised in court. He has an education and was taught history, etc., but was also expected to be a soldier. I put all my Rogue skill points into knowledge, diplomacy, etc. If you want someone to sneak around, hide, or pick a lock, I'm not your guy.

I've expressed no interest in being a druid and there's no compelling campaign reason to take it. We had a PC with a Raven familiar that we always used for scouting ahead, but they're gone. I liked the notion of having a bird for scouting and surveillance, but I'm not going to change my character just to get one. I figured a magic item might be useful, but I wanted to present a plan to the DM and not just ask him to create one. We get magic items in treasure, but he's not a fan of being able to go shopping for magic items, so there's a bit of roleplaying involved when you got to the wizards tower and see if they can craft an item.Your character wants an ability. He trains himself to get that ability.

Why is that difficult?

Why are class abilities any different than a feat or a skill?

Bphill561
2019-05-18, 02:00 PM

I've expressed no interest in being a druid and there's no compelling campaign reason to take it. We had a PC with a Raven familiar that we always used for scouting ahead, but they're gone. I liked the notion of having a bird for scouting and surveillance, but I'm not going to change my character just to get one. I figured a magic item might be useful, but I wanted to present a plan to the DM and not just ask him to create one. We get magic items in treasure, but he's not a fan of being able to go shopping for magic items, so there's a bit of roleplaying involved when you got to the wizards tower and see if they can craft an item.

As much as I would like to agree with that idea, the reason people multi-class is for the same problem you have. Getting a certain class ability for mechanical or roleplaying purposes is much easier to accomplish with RAW material in the books than making something up on your own. It seems wizard eventually caught on at the end of 3.5 and started making more complete base classes (Dread necro, archivist, etc) with interesting abilities mixed throughout the progression, but that still does not help you do something a little bit different or outside of the box for a base class. I cannot fault build suggestions that accomplish the requested task within narrow parameters, especially when it is an ability that rogues and fighters do not possess. One could just as easily say your character is not following his story line by trying to acquire abilities outside the purview of his chosen profession.

Also some people have played in lots of campaigns and have played every base class.