PDA

View Full Version : supreme fly speed?

kemmotar
2007-10-04, 05:55 PM
how about the demonic graft membranous wings(50.000 gp) which gives you fly speed equal to twice your base land speed combined with an anklet of expeditious retreat(+30 speed to BASE land speed, 6.000 gp). Thus without anything more, 120 fly speed. I even made it an anklet so the whole thing doesn't take any equipment slots at all:smallbiggrin:

would this work?i think so...

cupkeyk
2007-10-04, 05:59 PM
Make him a monk with the Quick trait and the Dash feat. Add the Air Heritage feat that gives you an additional 30 to your fly speed.

SilverClawShift
2007-10-04, 05:59 PM
I even made it an anklet so the whole thing doesn't take any equipment slots at all:smallbiggrin:

How does that work now? There's no way my DM would let anyone get away with something like that. And for good reason.

cupkeyk
2007-10-04, 06:02 PM
How does that work now? There's no way my DM would let anyone get away with something like that. And for good reason.

You can double the price of an item so that it doesn't occupy a slot in a person. A continuous effect item will cost more than 6000gp though.

Spell Effect, Use-activated or continuous cost Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp x 2 (since expeditious retreat is minute per level).
No space limitation is Multiply entire cost by 2.
Expeditious retreat is level1, minimum caster level to get craft wondrous items is 3.
So that item is cost (1*3*2000 gp)x4. 24,000 gp, I think. You just set the use activation to whenever I step.

kamikasei
2007-10-04, 06:22 PM
Would it help if the monk were a Xeph?

brian c
2007-10-04, 06:25 PM
Would it help if the monk were a Xeph?

Probably.

Anklet of Expeditous retreat doesn't do any good for a monk though, since monk speed increase and Exp Retreat are both enhancement bonuses and thus don't stack.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-04, 06:31 PM
Didn't we already do this?...

kemmotar
2007-10-04, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=cupkeyk;3293468]
So that item is cost (1*3*2000 gp)x4. 24,000 gp/QUOTE]

you only need it to be caster level 1 since its a pretty much continuous effect so you dont need to worry about duration. Thus 1*1*2000=2000. Also x2 is for no space requirement. Anklet takes the equipment slot of the anklet, thus uncustomary space limitation *1.5. Thus 2000*2 for min/level duration=4000. Thus 4000*1.5=6000:smallbiggrin:

Plus its 50.000 for a graft of wings, so they take up no usual equipment slot which you might want to use for something else...you can also make it into a ring, a pin or a badge...whatever rocks your boat for just 1.5 of the price...

Also about the link, you can just do this for extra base land speed. This thread is about whether the speed would increase and how far it could go with the particular graft since its base land speed x2. Many speed enhancing items dont increase base land speed, just increase the speed. Thus they would not stack with the graft. So which items give us pretty base land speeds?

cupkeyk
2007-10-04, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=cupkeyk;3293468]
So that item is cost (1*3*2000 gp)x4. 24,000 gp/QUOTE]

you only need it to be caster level 1 since its a pretty much continuous effect so you dont need to worry about duration. Thus 1*1*2000=2000. Also x2 is for no space requirement. Anklet takes the equipment slot of the anklet, thus uncustomary space limitation *1.5. Thus 2000*2 for min/level duration=4000. Thus 4000*1.5=6000:smallbiggrin:

Plus its 50.000 for a graft of wings, so they take up no usual equipment slot which you might want to use for something else...you can also make it into a ring, a pin or a badge...whatever rocks your boat for just 1.5 of the price...

Also about the link, you can just do this for extra base land speed. This thread is about whether the speed would increase and how far it could go with the particular graft since its base land speed x2. Many speed enhancing items dont increase base land speed, just increase the speed. Thus they would not stack with the graft. So which items give us pretty base land speeds?

You still need to fulfill the minimum caster level to qualify for the feat Craft Wondrous Items. Since your item is infringing on the realms of the Boots of Striding and Springing, which is +10 to speed and +5 to jump. Your item is +30 to speed with about +8 to +12 to jump checks due to added base land speed. Your Item cannot within the same price category as its benchmark item.

Chronos
2007-10-04, 11:36 PM
But you can create an item at lower than your own caster level, so long as it's still high enough to cast any necessary spells.

The real thing which stops this is the "they're just guidelines" argument, together with the example of Boots of Striding and Springing.

Dervag
2007-10-04, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure how or why, but I think someone figured out a way to build a monk that would break the sound barrier on land, on this forum. Since each round is six seconds, that would require a speed of 2040 meters per round, or around 6800 feet per round.

Darrin
2007-10-05, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure how or why, but I think someone figured out a way to build a monk that would break the sound barrier on land, on this forum. Since each round is six seconds, that would require a speed of 2040 meters per round, or around 6800 feet per round.

Difficult to do on land, actually... much easier with flight, particularly if you can wildshape/shapechange into a draconic form with a flight speed of 200+ to start with.

Fax's Xeph build (see http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42925) gets close, but he needs to add Wildshape (via the Wild Monk from Dragon #324 or maybe work in a Divine Minion template somewhere) to get Cheetah's Speed (x10 speed on a charge), the Travel Devotion (move up to speed as a swift action), and possibly Hustle (can Ardents/Incarnates get Hustle?).

Cheetah Tribe Spirit from Shining South (x4 speed on a charge) might also be possible, but not for a Xeph (human Shaar only). I'm not sure how Cheetah Tribe Spirit works with Cheetah's Speed, though... I can't tell if the x10 stacks with or supercedes the x4.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that works, though... I was thinking Cheetah's Speed multiplied your normal charge movement (normally double your speed) by x10, but I don't think that's correct, the x10 I think replaces the x2. Assuming the speed of sound is about 1100 feet/second, and Cheetah's Speed can be combined with Cheetah Tribe Spirit and Travel Devotion (x10 + x4 + x1 = x15), the magic number to break the sound barrier would be about 440'. Adding in Hustle brings it down to about 415'.

Flying is easier because there are more feats/spells that add to or multiply flying speed.

SoD
2007-10-05, 09:25 AM
How about a Wendigo Scout?

A Wendigo has at least 120 fly speed (perfect)...and with the scouts as they level up...and if you can convince your DM that it'll stack with the Barbarian and Monk speed increases...whoa. That's an uber flight speed...

Darrin
2007-10-05, 10:01 AM
A Wendigo has at least 120 fly speed (perfect)...and with the scouts as they level up...and if you can convince your DM that it'll stack with the Barbarian and Monk speed increases...whoa. That's an uber flight speed...

It's actually easier to use the Half-Fey Template (LA +2) or a Half-Fey Level Adjusted Race (two class levels) to get a flight speed equal to twice your normal speed (with good maneuverability). Using Fax's Xeph build, you can get a flight speed somewhere upwards of 600'. From that point, I think there are some spells that can multiply that into the Interconinental Ballistic Missle range (Fly Like An Arrow, Dragon #308).

Hmm. Looks like Fax left out the Wild template from Dragon #306, another 5' increase for LA +0.