PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next My take on the Thri-kreen race for my home setting

Mancer
2019-05-14, 07:02 PM
Hello all, im back with my latest homebrew race, the Thri-Kreen for my home setting. want some feedback on it now that i feel it's presentable. :smallsmile:

Thri-kreen Traits
The thri-kreen are a insectoid humanoid race that primarily dwell in planes or deserts. Many thri-kreen live as nomads and hunters, only taking and carry what they need.

Ability score increase
Your Dexterity score increases by 2.

Thri-Kreen age quickly and are considered adults and the age of 5 and many do not live past the age of 30 years.

Alignment
Acting spontaneously, many Thri-Kreen are typically of unpredictable and chaotic alignments, showing no inclination toward good or evil.

Size
A thri-kreen resembled a giant bipedal praying mantis, standing between 5 to 7 feet high and weighing between 125 and 275 pounds. your size is medium.

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision
Your insectoid senses give you superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Multiple Limbs
You have an additional set of smaller arms. You may interact with an additional object or feature of the environment for free during your turn. These hands can be used for other tasks, such as opening doors, carrying torches, using tools, or performing the somatic or material components of spells. however they cannot be used to wield weapons or shields due to their size.

Torpor
Instead of sleeping, you enter a torpid state, during which you remain fully aware of their surroundings. After four hours of torpor, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep. Also, magic can't put you to sleep.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Thri-kreen.

Subraces

Warrior Thri-Kreen Traits
Ability Score Increase
Your Strength Score increases by 1.

Natural Armor
You have thick plates covering your entire body, granting you greater protection compared to other Thri-Kreen. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield’s benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.

Venomous Bite
You have powerful mandibles that are capable of delivering a venom to your foes, they are a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. The target must also make a Constitution saving throw, taking poison damage equal to your constitution modifier (minimum 1) and is poisoned until the start of your next turn on failure. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus.

Scout Thri-Kreen Traits
Ability Score Increase
Your Intelligence score increases by 1.

Chameleon Carapace
You can change your body's color to match your surroundings, allowing you to hide when lightly obscured by terrain. In addition, you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) rolls if you have not moved since the start of your last turn.

Standing Leap
You have long and powerful legs that allow you to jump with ease. Your long jump is 25 ft. and your high jump is 10 ft. You don't need a running start to make these jumps

Psionic Thri-Kreen Traits
Ability Score Increase
Your Wisdom score Increases by 1.

Telepathy
You can speak telepathically to any creature you can see within 60 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic messages, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language or be telepathic itself.

Psionics
You know the mage hand cantrip, and the hand is invisible when you cast the cantrip with this trait.

When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Locate Animals or Plants spell once with this trait, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the invisibility spell once with this trait, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells. When you cast them with this trait, they don’t require components

LibraryOgre
2019-05-14, 08:18 PM
Dammit, cat reset my computer.

So, I'm not thrilled with darkvision and 30' speed, but they're part of the MM entry, so, yeah.

I like the division you've made, but why the change in psionics? MM is Mage hand, blur, magic weapon, invisibility... why sub Blur and Magic Weapon for Locate Animals and Plants?

Also, your torpor feature is more severe than what they have in the MM, where they don't actually have to sleep, just chill for a time.

And what about when they use gythka and chatcka?