PDA

View Full Version : Some day, OOTS will end.

today'sforecast
2019-05-14, 08:24 PM
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster.

Wild, right? I was just thinking about it today, because I was recommending the comic to a friend of mine who had never heard of it. It kind of gave me some pause when I realized just how long I've been following it. I remember the first comic I ever read, when it was the latest one, was number #199 (I'd link it, but apparently I can't until I have more posts). Realizing that all at once gave me a weird, sinking feeling, and not just an in 'oh god when did I get so old' kind of way, but the realization that I've been following this comic for fourteen years, which is very nearly half of my time on planet earth.

The story is clearly gearing up for some kind of conclusion, though given the liesurely update pace, we might still be in this for another couple years. I don't mean that as criticism! I know this stuff takes time, and I know that every year I've been a fan of this comic has cost me nothing. Even Rich has poked some fun at himself for it (#1136), and I've been reading long enough to kind of know what I'm getting into. Every update's been worth the wait, and seeing a new one's been a highlight of my day for over a decade now.

It's really weird and a little bit sad to imagine that we'll some day live in a world with no new OOTS updates in it. I mean, obviously; Rich couldn't and wouldn't keep doing this comic forever, and I have every faith that the conclusion will be satisfying, but it'll still be a bittersweet moment for me- and, I assume, most of the rest of you, too.

I consider myself a writer and avid roleplayer, and as far back as I remember I've been inspired by Mr. Burlew's excellent writing and suberb storytelling, and I just have to wonder: how much was I shaped as a writer by this comic? As a person? Writing is a big part of my life (and I'm not even all that awful at it, if I do say so myself), and I have to wonder if I ever would have even started if not for Order of the Stick. I've basically grown up with these characters! To watch them change and grow as much as I myself have in the past almost decade and a half is kind of disquieting.

I guess my point is this: thank you, Mr. Burlew. Keep being excellent!

UndeadArcanist
2019-05-14, 09:09 PM
As the years drag by, I'm starting to doubt that. Maybe OOTS will just continue to update at an increasingly slow pace until the end of time.

Roland St. Jude
2019-05-14, 10:09 PM
Sheriff: The comic update schedule is an inappropriate topic on this forum, regardless of why it's being discussed.