PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with potential Paladin multi class

ElementalAaron
2019-05-15, 07:26 AM
Hey all I'm in need of some help looking at some options my Ancients paladin has atm. He is a silver dragonborn with 17 str,8 dex,15 con,10 int,10 wis, and 16 Cha. He is lvl 8 with the tough and mounted combatant feat. If i am to plan to multi class what would be some viable options. I have been thinking of other cha casters like celestial warlock or a divine soul sorc. Are there any other options and what would be good benefits of them, or maybe going full Paladin may be for the best?

nickl_2000
2019-05-15, 07:35 AM
What is your goal in multi-classing? What are you trying to get out of it? Are you doing this for optimization purposes or RP purposes? This will help us significantly in providing advice

Arkhios
2019-05-15, 07:38 AM
Personally I would recommend waiting for 9th paladin level, because 3rd level paladin spells are pretty damn awesome. Then again, 10th paladin level for Aura of Courage is one of the staple paladin features you definitely want if you can get it.

ElementalAaron
2019-05-15, 07:45 AM
What is your goal in multi-classing? What are you trying to get out of it? Are you doing this for optimization purposes or RP purposes? This will help us significantly in providing advice

My paladin's god is Bahamut and we just had an encounter with a npc champion of Tiamat. The champ of Tiamat got disintegrated(Long story) and with him gone My paladin is looking for a new goal to help serve Bahamut. In terms of playstyle I play a frontliner on my horse using my mobility for hit and run tactics and dashing on my horse to use lay on hands to allies far away. We have another paladin who is a conquest paladin who is a tad bit stingier with his heals so I usually save 1 of each spell slot to cast things like lesser restoration.

nickl_2000
2019-05-15, 07:55 AM
My paladin's god is Bahamut and we just had an encounter with a npc champion of Tiamat. The champ of Tiamat got disintegrated(Long story) and with him gone My paladin is looking for a new goal to help serve Bahamut. In terms of playstyle I play a frontliner on my horse using my mobility for hit and run tactics and dashing on my horse to use lay on hands to allies far away. We have another paladin who is a conquest paladin who is a tad bit stingier with his heals so I usually save 1 of each spell slot to cast things like lesser restoration.

So, from an RP perspective a Draconic Sorcerer (Silver) makes the most sense, although that doesn't give that much to you from a optimization perspective other than some cantrips, shield, and a ranged spell. Also from an RP perspective, I don't see much of a reason for your character to be making a pact with a powerful being (note: I've always seen pact as an act of desperation and something a paladin doesn't take lightly. So, I tend to be against them in general for dips). You literally just defeated your sworn enemy and accomplished your goal. Someone who accomplished their goal really isn't going to be making a pact.

Celestial certainly gives you some massive flexibility, but I personally think that going Paladin further makes the most sense from an RP and optimization perspective.

Also, it isn't what you were talking about, but consider 3 levels into Fighter for the Cavalier. That would be pretty fitting for your character.

Wildarm
2019-05-15, 08:04 AM
Hey all I'm in need of some help looking at some options my Ancients paladin has atm. He is a silver dragonborn with 17 str,8 dex,15 con,10 int,10 wis, and 16 Cha. He is lvl 8 with the tough and mounted combatant feat. If i am to plan to multi class what would be some viable options. I have been thinking of other cha casters like celestial warlock or a divine soul sorc. Are there any other options and what would be good benefits of them, or maybe going full Paladin may be for the best?

I'd push Paladin to Level 11/12 before looking to MC. 3rd level spells, Improved Divine Smite, Aura of Courage and an ASI(Resilient Con?) are all good. If you are using most of your magic for Smites then I'd say go Divine Soul Sorcerer and focus more smite slots and on buffs. Extended Aid is fantastic for the party.