PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice - Totem Barb/BM Ranger

wikkedj
2019-05-15, 12:02 PM
So at a glance the biggest issue I think is going to be spells and rage not playing well. Inspired by a character in a PC game I'd like to try put together a totem barbarian with BM ranger for a pet, using a two handed sword. I realize this won't be an optimized build but I like the flavor behind it. Looking for advice on how to pull it off with the least pain possible. Thoughts please.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-15, 12:06 PM
So at a glance the biggest issue I think is going to be spells and rage not playing well. Inspired by a character in a PC game I'd like to try put together a totem barbarian with BM ranger for a pet, using a two handed sword. I realize this won't be an optimized build but I like the flavor behind it. Looking for advice on how to pull it off with the least pain possible. Thoughts please.

Hrm...

Well, you need 13 Wisdom, 13 Dexterity, 13 Strength, and whatever Constitution you'd think is acceptable. I'd recommend the standard human, as it will make your multiclassing and MAD stats a bit easier to work around.

You'll probably want the Wolf Totem, as it synergizes well with having allied melee combatants. Then pack Sentinel for yourself to keep people from picking on your companion.

For spells, focus on things that don't use Concentration or don't need to be used in combat. Like Goodberry or Animal Friendship.

For the build itself, you'll probably want to focus on improving your Companion. The halved damage from Rage will always be relevant at all levels, so I'd recommend just getting the minimum level of Barbarian that you feel comfortable with, and going Ranger afterwards.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-15, 12:19 PM
With point buy I'd go 15, 14, 14, 8(9), 13, 8(9) with Variant human grabbing Resilient (Wisdom). I'd start Barbarian for Con Save Proficiency, then 5 Ranger, then 2 more Barb for Totem.

For spells I'd either do as Man_Over_Game suggested or start combat with Hunter's Mark then wait to Rage until I lost Concentration on Hunter's Mark.

Vogie
2019-05-15, 12:22 PM
Sounds like Kled and Skaarl. Be a small race who rides the animal companion. You wouldn't be able to use heavy weapons though...

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-15, 12:25 PM
It's interesting to see this concept come up so often, despite having so little support.

It's actually this problem that inspired me to create a Companion-based Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23831912&postcount=2)in the most recent GitP 5e Subclass Homebrew contest. Check it out, if your DM would support something like that.

Zigludo
2019-05-15, 07:45 PM
Your biggest problem is going to be keeping your pet alive. Did you have a specific animal in mind?