PDA

View Full Version : weapon 3 sizes larger than normal?

kemmotar
2007-10-04, 06:48 PM
If a goliath(thank you powerful build) with monkey grip and strongarm bracers, would he be able to carry a gargantuan goliath warhammer?

Do all these stack?

BTW, strongarm bracers is in magic items compendium.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-04, 06:52 PM
I dunno where the image is, someone will post it, but...
MONKEY GRIP DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

As powerful build allows you to use a weapon "One size larger than you are" as does monkey grip, they don't stack. They both reference your original size. I.e. one lets you use X+1, the other lets you use X+1, they don't let you use X+2. Dunno about the bracers.

kemmotar
2007-10-04, 06:56 PM
Thought that might be the case...just thought i'd ask...maybe the bracers stack...can anyone that's got it check it?

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-04, 06:56 PM
If the Strongarm Bracers say "wield a weapon one size category larger than you", you can only wield Large greathammers.

If it says "wield a weapon one size larger than you normally can", you can only wield Huge greathammers.

Either way, you've wasted a feat slot and should talk to your DM about letting you exchange it for another.

Dervag
2007-10-04, 07:06 PM
Also, it is generally agreed that the ability to wield an extraordinarily large weapon isn't as useful as it might seem.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-04, 07:08 PM
Also, it is generally agreed that the ability to wield an extraordinarily large weapon isn't as useful as it might seem.

It's only Monkey Grip, actually. Abilities that let you wield a weapon larger than normal at no penalty are quite good.

So, Powerful Build and Shillelagh.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-04, 07:10 PM
It's only Monkey Grip, actually. Abilities that let you wield a weapon larger than normal at no penalty are quite good.

Or a mount and a lance, preferably going into Cavalier. And in that instance, MG is actually halfway decent too.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-04, 07:12 PM
Or a mount and a lance, preferably going into Cavalier. And in that instance, MG is actually halfway decent too.

Of course, Power Attack for -2 is better... And Power Attack for -4 is better than Power Attack for -2 plus Monkey Grip. :smallbiggrin:

Monkey Grip only wins if someone's trying to sunder your weapon.

Zincorium
2007-10-04, 07:16 PM

Mighty wallop or greater might wallop (races of the dragon) aren't bad either, or you could use enlarge weapon from complete scoundrel.

There are lots of ways to do it without the -2 penalty or monkey grip's restrictions (no off hand weapon, no ranged weapons, no double weapons).

And really, the advantages come when you're wielding a weapon that is effectively huge or larger, when you're adding entire dice rather than simply using larger ones. 4d8 to 6d8 is good, 1d4 to 1d6 is at best mediocre.

Also, had a rules question: does anyone know if there's an official clarification as to whether or not you can use an oaken greatclub for shillelagh? Or other entirely wooden weapons?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-04, 07:24 PM
Of course, Power Attack for -2 is better... And Power Attack for -4 is better than Power Attack for -2 plus Monkey Grip. :smallbiggrin:

Not in all instances, as I have demonstrated before.

Justyn
2007-10-04, 07:37 PM
Powerful Build lets you use weapons as if you are one size catagory larger than you actualy are; flavorwise, it's because you are at the upper limits of your current one, without actualy being large enough to being large enough to be concidered the next one.

Monkey Grip allows you to wield weapons one size catagory larger than you normally can for your size catagory: with a -2 penalty. Basically a toned down feat version of the Powerful Build racial ability.

Strongarm Bracers let you wield weapons as if you wield weopons as if you are one size catagory larger than you actualy are. But, they say specifically that they do not stack with the Powerful Build racial trait.

By RAW? No, these things would not stack. Well, actually Monkey Grip and Strongarm Bracers do stack if you go with the "works unless stated otherwise" route... If you are willing to burn a feat, 6000 gold, and a item slot: but you could only weild a weapon two sizes larger than yourself.

Vaynor
2007-10-04, 08:00 PM
Would a permanent Enlarge Person work for this? Or does that not count as a natural size.

EDIT: Paired with powerful build, naturally.

brian c
2007-10-04, 08:31 PM
Would a permanent Enlarge Person work for this? Or does that not count as a natural size.

Enlarge + Powerful Build wil let you use weapons one size bigger than your new size would be able to, which is two sizes bigger than your original size would be able to.

Chronos
2007-10-04, 11:10 PM
Also, had a rules question: does anyone know if there's an official clarification as to whether or not you can use an oaken greatclub for shillelagh? Or other entirely wooden weapons?What's there to clarify? A greatclub is a kind of club. Why wouldn't it work?

Other wooden weapons (say, an Ironwood sword), no, because they're not a staff or club.

Sethis
2007-10-06, 10:32 AM
I think there is a magical weapon ability "Balanced" for a +2 that lets a weapon be weilded by a one size category smaller creature.

It may be 3.0 or 3rd party, I'm AFB.

...Eh?
2007-10-06, 11:02 AM

Hm...

A Permenantly Englarged Half-Ogre with Monkey Grip and Strongarm Bracers could weild a Colossal weapon at -2 penalty. Maybe not an effective character, but if I ever make a seige campaign, I think I'll use some Half-Ogre barbarians with adamantine Goliath Warhammers. You'd blow through the walls in a couple rounds, tops.

Anxe
2007-10-06, 11:41 AM
Or you could use a Featherlight weapon which counts as one category lighter. Only a +1 enhancement.

EDIT: This is not a 3rd party enhancement. I just forget what book it's in...

UserClone
2007-10-06, 01:07 PM
Nay, a greatclub is NOT a club, it is a greatclub, for magical effects or otherwise. Just as a greatsword is not a dagger, but a greatsword. If it says "a nonmagical club or quarterstaff," it means a club or quarterstaff, not a greatclub, longstaff, or anything other than a club or quarterstaff, per RAW at least.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-06, 01:10 PM
Nay, a greatclub is NOT a club, it is a greatclub, for magical effects or otherwise. Just as a greatsword is not a dagger, but a greatsword. If it says "a nonmagical club or quarterstaff," it means a club or quarterstaff, not a greatclub, longstaff, or anything other than a club or quarterstaff, per RAW at least.

...except in the case of specialized items (like the broadblade shortsword or longstaff) that specifically state in the description of the item that for all intents and purposes they are treated as an item of the appropriate type.

UserClone
2007-10-06, 01:11 PM
Y'know, I was just coming back to fix that...ninja.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-06, 01:24 PM
Yes. Yes I am. A Ninja of the Crab. Fear me for my DPPDC Crabstrike Jutsu.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-06, 01:28 PM
I think there is a magical weapon ability "Balanced" for a +2 that lets a weapon be weilded by a one size category smaller creature.

It may be 3.0 or 3rd party, I'm AFB.
Sun Blade, Dungeon Master Guide I/SRD. It's a bastard sword that can be used as a short sword. If you have feats of abilities for either bastard sword or short sword, any of these work normally on the sun blade.

Yeril
2007-10-06, 01:34 PM
If a goliath(thank you powerful build) with monkey grip and strongarm bracers, would he be able to carry a gargantuan goliath warhammer?

Do all these stack?

BTW, strongarm bracers is in magic items compendium.

Add in a Balanced Warhammer and you can wield a collosal warhammer onehanded.

Anxe
2007-10-06, 03:37 PM
Add in a Balanced Warhammer and you can wield a collosal warhammer onehanded.

Two-weapon fighting with two colossal weapons! I love it!

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-06, 04:01 PM
I'm unaware of any humanoid races that grant powerful build, so enlarge person is probably out.

Awakened dire ape + monkey grip + shillelagh greatclub + animal growth = pretty big stick. Combine that with the cavalier PrC for some sick multiplying of damage.

Zeful
2007-10-07, 03:16 PM
Awakened animals are magical beast, not animals. So Animal growth shouldn't increase it's size. But I'm not aware how the spell works.