Shuruke
2019-05-15, 10:33 PM
So the plan here is making a wizard that uses spell slots and then uses weapons

So far going mountain dwarf
For medium armor and battle axe prof at level 1

After level 3 wizard plan on taking 3 barbarian

What do you guys think?

*note this is mainly for rp
Not worried about being extremely optimized cuz already have 2 guys optimizing enough for whole team

Point buy , A.L rules phb+1 etc

Xanathar is +1 for spells
Could take a thing like ancestral guardian but I don't like that theatrically for this character

Idea is

Cast spell slots
Say some wippy phrase about

"Oh, seems I'm out of spells."

"Guess ill show you how we did it in ol days!" Rips off robe showing body builder torso XD

bid
2019-05-15, 10:56 PM
Barbarian first for Con save, medium armor and more hp. Then you don't need mountain dwarf to make it work, and get the +2 AC of a shield from the get-go.

Beyond that, Str14, Dex14, Con14, Int 14 would leave Wis11 / Cha10 as MD or 10/10 as half orc. It's doable enough.

Not sure if zealot would fit your RP concept, seems too divine.

OTOH, with low DC you're best served with Treantmonk's God wizard. Where you use fog and other effects to delay the enemy damage.

Quoz
2019-05-15, 11:05 PM
Pick up Armor of Agathys, either through a warlock dip or magic initiate. Upcasting it right before raging, you get your Arcane Ward, the THP from AoA, and damage resistance from rage. And anytime someone hits you in melee they take 5x the spell level in damage. Reckless attack with abandon because they take more damage than they deal when they hit you.

You may also want your first level to be in barbarian for extra HP, proficiency and saves. If you put a few spells towards it you could be a good grappler too, Enlarge being the best and available at a low level. Shame about PHB+1, Battlerager would be my subclass of choice for this build.

bid
2019-05-15, 11:10 PM
Pick up Armor of Agathys, either through a warlock dip or magic initiate. Upcasting it right before raging
You can't upcast from MI and warlock dip is... not realist when you are already 3-way MAD.

Shuruke
2019-05-16, 07:19 AM
You can't upcast from MI and warlock dip is... not realist when you are already 3-way MAD.

That's what I was telling one of the guys at the table

And reason for dwarf is its only race with 2 plus twos (str and con)

Str 16 +3
Dex 12 +1
Con 15 +2
Int 15 +2
Wis 8
Cha 10

Don't plan on using shield because would have to drop or she's the weapon to cast etc
Things like shield and absorb element are both somatic component so would need warcaster (which is rather not take cuz don't really have reason to)
Plan is first asi will increase con / int or be great weapon master.

I think I mostly got it figured out

Also zealot fit thematic and we already have a zealot so ill leave that to him

Battle rager could be fun but I'm pretty set on Berserker

How should my by level 13 level split look?

I'm thinking 8 wizard for the 19 hp ward that I can give to ally and 5 barbarian

Probably being 3 wizard 5 barb by level 8?

bid
2019-05-16, 08:39 AM
Str 16 +3
Dex 12 +1
Con 15 +2
Int 15 +2
Wis 8
Cha 10

Plan is first asi will increase con / int or be great weapon master.

Then you might as well start with Con16 and Int14