PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Blade Pact recalling weapon?

igor140
2019-05-15, 10:53 PM
So, I may be crazy, but I could have sworn that there was some feature in the Hexblade Blade Pact build that allowed the warlock to summon the weapon back to himself at infinite range as a bonus action. Did our table just COMPLETELY get all of that wrong...?

I remember it very explicitly, because at one point, my Hexblade ran an enemy through, and then left his sword IN the enemy as he misty stepped to the top of a small cliff so he wouldn't be overrun. The sorcerer then used the sword as a conduit to do extra lightning damage to the enemies that had originally clustered around the Hexblade. In the meantime, the Hexblade pelted some enemies with Eldritch Blast until they turned and closed on him... at which point he summoned his (now) lightning-charged sword back from a distance of ~50 ft in order to fight the new enemies. The whole thing took about four turns (~24 battle seconds; not enough time for the pact weapon to disappear naturally).

The DM was pretty liberal with the rules on account of the fact that the badassery outweighed the need to follow the rules... but I could have sworn that the resummoning of the sword was completely legit...

bid
2019-05-15, 11:05 PM
You need to take an action to create your pact weapon (after using the no-action dismiss). That seems to be what happened in your case.

You can declare a real weapon as your hexblade, separate from your pact weapon. In that case, you can't use the dismiss/create trick since it's not your pact weapon.

igor140
2019-05-15, 11:24 PM
Looking over the rules again, I think that I'm just misremembering the bonus action; and it was, in fact, a full action that I used to summon the sword.

I know that he only had one weapon. It was a magical weapon that he had bonded to be his pact weapon, so it satisfied all the other criteria... I think what I ended up doing was using my fifth action to summon the charged weapon and used the bonus action that turn to taunt some of the enemies.

Anyway, thanks!

JackPhoenix
2019-05-16, 12:20 AM
You're propably mixing it with Eldritch Knight, who can teleport his bonded weapon to his hand as bonus action as long as it's on same plane.

Arcangel4774
2019-05-16, 12:47 AM
You can dismiss your pact weapon without an action cost and recreate it with an action (shunting to a pocket dimension and summoning if its a bonded magic weapon).

RSP
2019-05-16, 07:00 AM
RAW, if your character had previously shunted away the pact weapon, then it appears everytime they use an Action to create their pact weapon; that is, yes, they can just use an Action to have it appear in their hand, as the OP did in their game.

Here’s the relevant RAW:

“You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand...

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon...You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter.”

Bold for emphasis is my doing, not the original text.