PDA

View Full Version : Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Glyphstone
2019-05-15, 11:36 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

Previous Thread Found Here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?560845-Simple-RAW-Thread-for-3-5-34-Mere-mortal-not-immortal-not-starcrossed-anymore

StevenC21
2019-05-16, 05:16 AM
Q1:

Would you provoke AoO for using an Ex ability to cast a spell?

(This is for a third party ACF)

Khedrac
2019-05-16, 06:38 AM
Q1:

Would you provoke AoO for using an Ex ability to cast a spell?

(This is for a third party ACF)

A1: Hard to say with 3rd Party, mand even harder to say without the ability text.

In general, if you are casting a spell then you provoke, even if it is an Ex ability that grants this.
If the Ex ability enables you to, for example, produce fireballs then you are not casting and do not provoke.

Justification: Specific trumps general. "Casting a Spell" is more specific than "using an Extraordinary ability".

Other people's rulings may differ.

St Fan
2019-05-16, 08:07 AM
Repost, since it got lost on the tail end of last thread:

Q 2

Is it just me, or does the “Flashing Sun” Desert Wind maneuver just not working as a strike?

Flashing Sun allows you to make an additional melee attack during this round. As part of this maneuver, you take a full attack action and make your normal melee attacks. However, you can make one additional attack this round at your highest attack bonus. All the attacks you make this round, including the extra attack granted by this maneuver, are made with a -2 penalty.

First and foremost, because it is contradicting some of the general rules for strikes:

Because strikes allow for a specific form of attack, you cannot benefit from spell or effects that grant you extra attacks when making a strike (such as the haste spell or a speed weapon). You are not taking a full attack action when you initiate a strike, even if its initiation action is 1-full round action. In addition, you cannot combine special attacks such as sunder or bull rush with strikes, even you have feats that make such special attacks more potent.

I know how specific trumps general, but even discounting the part about not being able to make a full attack action, this would make Flashing Sun pointless if you have haste, and even things like flurry of blows or two-weapon fighting become doubtful, making the maneuver pretty pointless to have.

Furthermore, by a strict reading, none of these attacks this round could be special attacks (so, no disarm, no trip, etc.), am I right?

Am I also correct to think that treating the whole maneuver as a boost instead of a strike would correct all these problems?

RoboEmperor
2019-05-16, 08:57 AM
Q3

Can a flying creature with Trample(Ex) trample another flying creature midair?

Segev
2019-05-16, 03:34 PM
Q4:

In Pathfinder, cold iron doubles the cost of a weapon made from it. When making a masterwork cold iron weapon, do you double the weapon cost, then add the masterwork cost (300 gp), or do you make it a masterwork weapon, and then double the cost of the whole thing? e.g. a masterwork cold iron scimitar - is it 330 gp, or 630 gp?

Khedrac
2019-05-16, 03:50 PM
Q4:

In Pathfinder, cold iron doubles the cost of a weapon made from it. When making a masterwork cold iron weapon, do you double the weapon cost, then add the masterwork cost (300 gp), or do you make it a masterwork weapon, and then double the cost of the whole thing? e.g. a masterwork cold iron scimitar - is it 330 gp, or 630 gp?
A 4: Are you asking about Pathfinder or 3.0/3.5 D&D?
If Pathfinder then this is totally off topic for this thread - there's another thread specifically for Pathfinder questiosn and I guess you thought you were posting in that.
If 3/0/3.5 D&D why mention Pathfinder - it's just confusing.
Looking at the 3.5 DMG or SRD you will find as a specific magic weapon:

Masterwork Cold Iron Longsword

This nonmagical longsword is crafted out of cold iron. As a masterwork weapon, it has a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls.

No aura (nonmagical); Price 330 gp.
You can clearly see that only the base cost of the weapon (15gp for a longsword) is doubled.

Segev
2019-05-16, 06:43 PM
I did, indeed, post in the wrong thread, darn it. My apologies. Thank you kindly for your answer; it’s likely that it translates.

The Kool
2019-05-16, 09:52 PM
A5

Yes, though you may need to augment the power to make this work. The DM may rule that you have to choose what the action is as part of the manifesting, and thus you and your familiar have the same readied action (thus preventing you from manifesting while your psycrystal attacks). Augmenting the power frees you from this limitation. It's worth noting that if you abuse this, you and your DM may reach such a limitation as a compromise, even if it is not strictly RAW... though I am unable to find anything to imply it is or is not.

Q6

Referencing the above.
A. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may make different choices when you share a power with it?
B. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may ready different actions, even if A isn't true?

EDIT: Uh, Q5 seems to have been removed. It was asking if you could chain synchronicity and share it with your psicrystal such that each time you did, it could attack. I am still curious about the above, though.

RoboEmperor
2019-05-16, 09:59 PM
A5

Yes, though you may need to augment the power to make this work. The DM may rule that you have to choose what the action is as part of the manifesting, and thus you and your familiar have the same readied action (thus preventing you from manifesting while your psycrystal attacks). Augmenting the power frees you from this limitation. It's worth noting that if you abuse this, you and your DM may reach such a limitation as a compromise, even if it is not strictly RAW... though I am unable to find anything to imply it is or is not.

Q6

Referencing the above.
A. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may make different choices when you share a power with it?
B. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may ready different actions, even if A isn't true?

EDIT: Uh, Q5 seems to have been removed. It was asking if you could chain synchronicity and share it with your psicrystal such that each time you did, it could attack. I am still curious about the above, though.

My bad. I thought the question was too complicated for this thread so I deleted it and moved it to another thread. Looks like I was wrong! I'll repost it here.

Q5

Does this work?

1. Manifest Metamorphosis to turn your Psicrystal into a combat form like a Hydra.
2. Stand behind your Psicrystal
3. Psicrystal attacks
4. Manifest Synchronicity. Use Share Powers to have it affect the Psicrystal as well.
5. Psicrystal uses its readied action to attack
6. Use your readied action to manifest Synchronicity. Use Share Powers to have it affect the Psicrystal as well.
7. Repeat 5 & 6.
8. Repeat 5 & 6.
9. Repeat 5 & 6.

Until you're out of power points.

Dimers
2019-05-17, 03:52 AM
Q7 I have 12 Charisma and I want to take a feat requires Charisma 15. If I wear a cloak of Charisma +4, can I select the feat? And if so, do I gain the benefits only while sufficiently stat-boosted?

Khedrac
2019-05-17, 06:57 AM
A7: Yes and yes.
You can use temporary boosts to qualify for feats unless there is specific text (for either the feat or the boost) that states otherwise.
Unlike prestige classes, the rules on qualifying for feats are clear that they become non-functional if you do not currently meet the qualifying criteria.

Cygnia
2019-05-17, 12:24 PM
Q8
Can Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon pg101) be used with cantrips?

You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher.

So, in theory, I should be able to use up 2 lvl 0 spells to cast a level one?

Kaleph
2019-05-17, 12:34 PM
Q8
Can Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon pg101) be used with cantrips?

So, in theory, I should be able to use up 2 lvl 0 spells to cast a level one?

A8
Yes, it's a very basic use of the feat. Cantrips are spells like any others, and the next higher level is 1st level, so everything works.

Thurbane
2019-05-17, 05:09 PM
Q 009

The Graft Flesh feat specifies you must pick a type of graft when you select the feat (aboleth, beholder, fiendish etc.).

Unlike some other feats, it does not state anything along the lines of "You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of graft."

Does this mean you may only ever select one type of graft?

St Fan
2019-05-18, 05:00 AM
Q 009

The Graft Flesh feat specifies you must pick a type of graft when you select the feat (aboleth, beholder, fiendish etc.).

Unlike some other feats, it does not state anything along the lines of "You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of graft."

Does this mean you may only ever select one type of graft?

A 9
That can be interpreted as such, yes. Note that most graft feats require to be a specific creature type (aboleth, illithid, fiend, yuan ti) and only a few are open to all (silthilar, beholder, undead), so that wouldn't be a very strong restriction on the long term.

GM has the final call, of course. (IMO, only silthilar grafts are ultimately worth it, at least for PCs anyway, the others have too many drawbacks.)

Also note that the Fleshwarper prestige class has the Graft Mastery feature, which allow to pick new type of grafts, even those that have creature restrictions. Multiple graft types might be intended as being a privilege of Fleshwarpers and nobody else.

St Fan
2019-05-18, 05:16 AM
Q 10
Is a stunned character still susceptible to language-dependent magic?

Q 11
Can the character delivering a message through a Dream spell use language-dependent magic on the subject, such as a Suggestion spell? If not with a spell, would a spell-like-ability work?

Chester
2019-05-18, 05:51 AM
Q12

According to the SRD, regarding heal checks:
Treat Disease
To treat a disease means to tend a single diseased character. Every time he or she makes a saving throw against disease effects, you make a Heal check. The diseased character uses your check result or his or her saving throw, whichever is higher.

A character sustains a bite from a dire rat, fails fortitude save, and thus will contract filth fever in 1d3 days.
Another character makes a heal check on his turn (during combat), which is much higher.

Has the healer effectively stopped the disease from taking hold? Or is there more required of him?

Kaleph
2019-05-18, 06:49 AM
Q12

According to the SRD, regarding heal checks:
Treat Disease
To treat a disease means to tend a single diseased character. Every time he or she makes a saving throw against disease effects, you make a Heal check. The diseased character uses your check result or his or her saving throw, whichever is higher.

A character sustains a bite from a dire rat, fails fortitude save, and thus will contract filth fever in 1d3 days.
Another character makes a heal check on his turn (during combat), which is much higher.

Has the healer effectively stopped the disease from taking hold? Or is there more required of him?

A12
You cannot treat a disease on the fly, since it takes 10 minutes to perform the check.

Intuitively, the healing character must also be present and take care of the ill character (at least 10 minutes) at the moment he roll his save.

As far as I can understand, the heal check can be performed only after the incubation period expires; a cure disease spell could be more effective in this case.

King of Nowhere
2019-05-20, 04:31 PM
Q13: do "cure" spells heal constructs? if not, are there spells that heal constructs?

The Kool
2019-05-20, 04:46 PM
A13

They do not. Living Constructs (like Warforged) gain half benefit from Cure spells. Full constructs gain no benefit. What you want are the Repair X Damage line of spells, arcane spells found in the Spell Compendium. They work the same way as the Cure spells, but function on constructs instead.

King of Nowhere
2019-05-20, 04:55 PM
A13

They do not. Living Constructs (like Warforged) gain half benefit from Cure spells. Full constructs gain no benefit. What you want are the Repair X Damage line of spells, arcane spells found in the Spell Compendium. They work the same way as the Cure spells, but function on constructs instead.

Nice, found them. I see that there is theline up to critical damage; Q13b: is there a repair equivalent to the heal spell?

Thurbane
2019-05-20, 04:57 PM
A013B

Total Repair (ECS p.116).

Troacctid
2019-05-21, 01:23 PM
Q 10
Is a stunned character still susceptible to language-dependent magic?
Yes.

Q 11
Can the character delivering a message through a Dream spell use language-dependent magic on the subject, such as a Suggestion spell? If not with a spell, would a spell-like-ability work?
I can't find anything in the spell that prevents you taking actions while in the trance, so technically, sure, it should work. Of course all the usual limitations for the spell would apply, so e.g. for suggestion, you would need to be within close range and have line of sight and line of effect (measured from your trancing body's position).

Note that different settings treat dreams differently, and there are optional dreamscape rules in MP and HH that may be in play.

Repost, since it got lost on the tail end of last thread:

Q 2

Is it just me, or does the “Flashing Sun” Desert Wind maneuver just not working as a strike?

First and foremost, because it is contradicting some of the general rules for strikes:

I know how specific trumps general, but even discounting the part about not being able to make a full attack action, this would make Flashing Sun pointless if you have haste, and even things like flurry of blows or two-weapon fighting become doubtful, making the maneuver pretty pointless to have.

Furthermore, by a strict reading, none of these attacks this round could be special attacks (so, no disarm, no trip, etc.), am I right?

Am I also correct to think that treating the whole maneuver as a boost instead of a strike would correct all these problems?
You're overthinking it. Specific beats general. It says it works, so it works.

gogogome
2019-05-22, 05:25 AM
Q6

Referencing the above.

A6

The answer entirely depends on whether you make the decision during manifestation of the power or after you fully manifest the power. The exact quote is "when you manifest this power". After thinking about it for a while, I believe this means after you finish manifesting so the answer is that your psicrystal may make different choices when you share a power with it.

El'the Ellie
2019-05-22, 09:13 AM
Q 14

Does attacking a rebuked undead end the rebuking effect?

Kaleph
2019-05-22, 09:39 AM
Q 14

Does attacking a rebuked undead end the rebuking effect?

A14
If you don't find a more specific ruling, just refer to the section "Effect and Duration of Turning".
Rebuking counts as turning and uses similar mechanics; "undead that would be turned are rebuked instead" - so the same rules apply, unless otherwise stated somewhere else.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-05-22, 09:58 AM
Q 15

I seem remember reading a rule that I cannot find now that creatures with innate sorcerer casting such a nagas, coautls, and dragons, do not have material or somatic components. Does such a rule exist or is my memory faulty?

Kaleph
2019-05-22, 10:50 AM
Q 15

I seem remember reading a rule that I cannot find now that creatures with innate sorcerer casting such a nagas, coautls, and dragons, do not have material or somatic components. Does such a rule exist or is my memory faulty?

A15
The explanation is in the Monster Manual, chapter 7 (glossary), under the "spells" entry. Let's make the example of a Naga. It must supply those components, but can still cast spells as follows:

It replaces the normal somatic components by moving their bodies
Must have the required material component on its body

Cygnia
2019-05-22, 11:03 AM
Q16

Does the Practiced Spellcaster feat offset the penalty from the Mage Slayer feat if one takes both? (CArc pgs 81-82)

St Fan
2019-05-22, 04:09 PM
Q16

Does the Practiced Spellcaster feat offset the penalty from the Mage Slayer feat if one takes both? (CArc pgs 81-82)

A 16
Yes, although only for the selected spellcasting class. Other classes and spell-like abilities will still have the penalty.

ezekielraiden
2019-05-22, 04:44 PM
Q17
The Spell Compendium version of spiderskin says that it increases in benefit for every 3 caster levels, but fails to include an explicit maximum yet also an explicit recognition that it scales without bound. The given examples stop at spell level 15, but those are only examples, not limitations. Is SpC spiderskin uncapped by RAW?

Thurbane
2019-05-22, 04:56 PM
Q17
The Spell Compendium version of spiderskin says that it increases in benefit for every 3 caster levels, but fails to include an explicit maximum yet also an explicit recognition that it scales without bound. The given examples stop at spell level 15, but those are only examples, not limitations. Is SpC spiderskin uncapped by RAW?

A 017

Yes, by the wording in the spell, there is no cap on the bonuses. Compare to the wording of a spell like Barkskin:

This enhancement bonus increases by 1 for every three caster levels above 3rd, to a maximum of +5 at caster level 12th.

Thurbane
2019-05-23, 02:21 AM
Q 018

Question about the Goblin Pits of Io-Rach (BoVD p.22) and the mutant/variant goblins they produce.

It says the goblins are medium sized, and have an inherent +4 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Wis and -4 Cha.

A.) Would this be in addition to normal ability mods for goblins (-2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha), or instead of them?

B.) Also, would you apply the normal modifiers when changing a creature from small to medium in size (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con) ?

D&DPrinceTandem
2019-05-23, 10:11 AM
Q#19

If Kaorti (or other far realm navtive creature) holding a rod of embassy (far realm) cast teleport, greater, could they teleport to a location in the far realm (fully in the far realm)

Notable facts

Kaorti are native to the far realm

Rod of Embassy: "When a creature carries a rod of embassy keyed to its home plane, it is considered to be on that plane for as long as it holds the rod"

Teleport greater: "This spell functions like teleport, except that there is no range limit ... Interplanar travel is not possible"
^ the no range limit means if there is an infinite distance from the Kaorti to the destination in the far realm (there is) it can still reach that point.

TL;DR: Is a native to the far realm holding a rod of embassy (far realm) attempting to teleport to a point in the Far realm considered Interplanar Travel?

Q 018

Question about the Goblin Pits of Io-Rach (BoVD p.22) and the mutant/variant goblins they produce.

It says the goblins are medium sized, and have an inherent +4 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Wis and -4 Cha.

A.) Would this be in addition to normal ability mods for goblins (-2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha), or instead of them?

B.) Also, would you apply the normal modifiers when changing a creature from small to medium in size (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con) ?

A#18

A. -2 str, +2 dex, -2 cha are Racial bonuses, +4 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Wis, -4 Cha is inherent bonus, they are separately applied (meaning they stack

B. They "Grow to medium size" I believe it would be permitted.

The Kool
2019-05-24, 10:16 PM
A19

Revenge of the semantics: I would argue No, but this could be ruled either way. The point of contention is condensed into the following: If one is 'considered on X plane', would teleporting to that plane from another still be considered interplanar travel? I believe that there is a distinction here between 'considered on' and actually on. You can be considered on that plane all day long, but to take you from where you physically are to where you physically want to go would still be traveling from one plane to another. Thus, it would still be interplanar travel. Again, this could be ruled either way depending on your DM, and even the RAI doesn't seem clear here.

flappeercraft
2019-05-25, 12:57 AM
Q20 Assuming Fusion pools buffs, what would happen if both of the people who fuse have an instance of Psionic Contingency?

AthasianWarlock
2019-05-25, 04:58 PM
Q21

The atropal is an undead with regeneration. Only good or sentient weapons overcome this. Since undead are immune to subdual damage, does this mean he is immune to all damage that isn't from a good or sentient weapon?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#atropal

St Fan
2019-05-26, 04:13 AM
Q21

The atropal is an undead with regeneration. Only good or sentient weapons overcome this. Since undead are immune to subdual damage, does this mean he is immune to all damage that isn't from a good or sentient weapon?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#atropal

A 21

Well... by a strict RAW reading, yeah... although, note that the Regeneration rules specifies "A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.", so the whole thing is dysfunctional anyway.

Zaq
2019-05-26, 09:19 AM
Q 022

Does Headlong Rush (Races of Faerun) work while mounted?
I did ask this last thread, but I got no response, so I’m trying again.

jdizzlean
2019-05-26, 03:11 PM
Q 023

can you use Versatile Spellcaster (RoTD 101) with SLA's? The feat references slots, but if you have an sla that you can use at will, can you then use it to power VS?

KillianHawkeye
2019-05-26, 03:12 PM
A 23

No, that doesn't work at all.

St Fan
2019-05-26, 05:45 PM
Q 24

Would a Maximized Dispel Magic (or similar spell) allow an automatic 20 on the caster level check?

Or does it fall in the "Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected" category for the Maximized Spell feat?

The Kool
2019-05-27, 07:56 AM
A24

All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables.

A dispel check is a specialized form of caster level check, similar to a check to overcome SR. It can succeed or fail, and is made against a target difficulty. The effect of the spell has no random variables; much like a Charm Person spell, it either succeeds or it fails, and the dispel check is used to determine which, much as an SR penetration check, saving throw, or attack roll. Given that a check is not a variable numeric effect of a spell, the second sentence of clarification can be extrapolated to also cover this case.

However, anything that affects a 'check', without qualifier such as 'ability check', would in fact apply to a dispel check.

EDIT: Dispel Magic does indeed have a variable, numeric effect. I was wrong about that. The number of rounds that a magic item is suppressed for, normally a 1d4, would be maximized to 4.

AthasianWarlock
2019-05-27, 11:09 AM
Q25

Does a class feature that grants a template grant the templates LA? Examples include disciple of ashardalon, dragon disciple, etc.

jdizzlean
2019-05-27, 11:40 AM
A25

No, generally you've already "paid" the LA cost included into the levels of that class in the first place. A class ability will never have a LA applied to it.

AthasianWarlock
2019-05-27, 12:19 PM
Q26

If a protean uses alter shape to assume a partial form of an umbral blot. Would it's disintegratimg touch blow up all it's items?

Does this count as "specifically targeted" under srd magic items making saves entry?

Zaq
2019-05-27, 12:58 PM
Q25

Does a class feature that grants a template grant the templates LA? Examples include disciple of ashardalon, dragon disciple, etc.

A25

No, generally you've already "paid" the LA cost included into the levels of that class in the first place. A class ability will never have a LA applied to it.

25 Dispute

I believe jdizzlean’s answer is an entirely reasonable interpretation and I fully support using it in a game. I would never rule otherwise myself. However, I don’t believe that it’s ironclad RAW. There’s no rules text saying that you do or that you don’t gain the LA. It’s a gap in the rules and it doesn’t have a “simple RAW” answer. A GM could be justified in ruling either way without being accused of houseruling.

In the case of an ambiguity like this, I support choosing the option that does less damage to our collective ability to enjoy the game, which is why I completely agree with jdizzlean’s response as a good choice to make. I do not, however, agree that it’s a “RAW” answer, because it isn’t actually stated in RAW.

This is a pedantic distinction, but given the format of the thread, I believe that it’s worth the quibble.

AthasianWarlock
2019-05-28, 01:00 PM
25 Dispute

I believe jdizzlean’s answer is an entirely reasonable interpretation and I fully support using it in a game. I would never rule otherwise myself. However, I don’t believe that it’s ironclad RAW. There’s no rules text saying that you do or that you don’t gain the LA. It’s a gap in the rules and it doesn’t have a “simple RAW” answer. A GM could be justified in ruling either way without being accused of houseruling.

In the case of an ambiguity like this, I support choosing the option that does less damage to our collective ability to enjoy the game, which is why I completely agree with jdizzlean’s response as a good choice to make. I do not, however, agree that it’s a “RAW” answer, because it isn’t actually stated in RAW.

This is a pedantic distinction, but given the format of the thread, I believe that it’s worth the quibble.

By a strict RAW reading then Disciple of Ashardalon for the first 9 levels gains all the abilities of a half fiend save the outsider type. Then once they get fiendish perfection gain them all again. So that means double ability modifiers etc.

St Fan
2019-05-28, 01:13 PM
Q 27

Still on the subject of Empowered/Maximized spells...

A: A touch spell or ranged touch spell can add sneak attack damage to its normal damage under the right conditions. If the spell is Empowered and/or Maximized, are the d6s of sneak attack damage concerned too?

B: Corrupt spells and Sanctified spells have a Corruption/Sacrifice cost that is often a random number of ability damage/drain. If such a spell is Empowered and/or Maximized, is the Corruption/Sacrifice affected too? Or the fact that it's a "component" and not strictly an effect of the spell exclude them?

OgresAreCute
2019-05-28, 02:06 PM
A 27

Neither Sneak Attack nor spell components are "effects" of a spell, so I would say neither is affected by those feats.

Thurbane
2019-05-28, 09:25 PM
Q 028

If I am a 9th level Monk with the Invisible Fist ACF, are the "cooldown" times of invisibility and blink tracked separately?

OgresAreCute
2019-05-29, 02:12 PM
Q 29

What actually happens if you cast Transmute Mud to Rock while someone is wholly or partially submerged? The spell says they get a reflex save to avoid it, but not what actually happens.

El'the Ellie
2019-05-30, 10:27 AM
Q 30

Loremaster has a prerequisite of "Any three metamagic or item creation feats".

Can these be mixed? IE, would a character with Scribe Scroll, Empower Spell, and Heighten Spell fulfill this requirement?

Khedrac
2019-05-30, 11:28 AM
A 30: Yes
(Because of the use of the word "Any" - without it then it could be 3 of one or 3 of the other, but the word is redundant unless it mean you can mix and match.)

PraxisVetli
2019-05-31, 01:33 AM
Q31
I read somewhere that there is a Drow House that makes a potion that allows Zombies over 20HD.
People use it to make airships out of zombie'd Soarwhales.
Is that real?

EDIT
If it is or isn't, is there anything that would allow Zomb's at more than 20 HD?

Lady Serpentine
2019-05-31, 10:55 AM
Q32: Can the presence of an ongoing (Su) ability that isn't arcane or divine be detected by spells?

Duke of Urrel
2019-05-31, 08:31 PM
Q32: Can the presence of an ongoing (Su) ability that isn't arcane or divine be detected by spells?

A 32

Here are all the spells I could find that can, in my own careful reading of the rules, detect some ongoing supernatural effects. This is probably not a complete list.

Detect Scrying (Player's Handbook p. 219)

See Invisibility (Player's Handbook p. 275)

True Seeing (Player's Handbook p. 296)

Discern Shapechanger (Spell Compendium p. 66)

Know Opponent (Spell Compendium p. 129; detects supernatural abilities even when they're not in use)

I do not know of any supernatural ability that is identified as either arcane or divine. To the best of my knowledge, this distinction applies to spells and probably to the effects of spell-like abilities as well, but I doubt that it applies to supernatural abilities.

EDIT: The spell Detect Undead (Player's Handbook p. 220) also belongs in this list.

gogogome
2019-06-01, 11:14 PM
Q 29

What actually happens if you cast Transmute Mud to Rock while someone is wholly or partially submerged? The spell says they get a reflex save to avoid it, but not what actually happens.

A 29

I would guess that the creature can jump/swim upwards as the mud hardens and stands on the new stone if he succeeds his reflex save.

St Fan
2019-06-02, 04:21 AM
Q 32

A couple questions about the wording inherent to the various Dominate spells:

Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out.

A: My guess is that self-destructive orders count as "against its nature" (unless the subject is suicidal). However, do such commands provoke the new saving throw to break the effect? Since they are "not carried out", the subject has, consequently, never taken an action against its nature.

B: Still about the "forced to take actions against its nature" part, when does the saving throw happen exactly? Is it after having taken the action, for example after having hurt a loved one? Or does the subject roll the saving throw just before being forced to take the action?

Kaleph
2019-06-02, 05:51 AM
A 32

From the WotC website, "rules of the game" articles:
"Many enchantment spells allow the subject a chance to throw off the spell when ordered to do something contrary to its interests or nature. Exactly what sort of orders prompt a new saving throw vary with the spell and are noted in the spell description. Not all enchantments allow new saving throws.

When a subject gains a new saving throw, the effects of a successful save usually negate the spell (at least for that recipient). Check the saving throw entry in the spell description for the effects of any successful saving throw against the spell."

Emphasis mine. So, they get the Save before they accomplish the order. Also, the spell's description must explicitly say that a certain request triggers a save, a suicidal order doesn't, so RAW the spell won't end as a consequence of such an order (RAI you could argue that it does instead).

OgresAreCute
2019-06-02, 11:06 AM
A 29

I would guess that the creature can jump/swim upwards as the mud hardens and stands on the new stone if he succeeds his reflex save.

I guess I was a little unclear, I meant what happens if they fail. Do they die or are they just stuck and can't move? That kinda thing.

gogogome
2019-06-02, 12:38 PM
I guess I was a little unclear, I meant what happens if they fail. Do they die or are they just stuck and can't move? That kinda thing.

Yes. Of course. If you're sealed in cement, can you move? Can you breath? He won't die instantaneously but it's a sure bet he will unless he can teleport without moving his body.

Elkad
2019-06-02, 04:06 PM
Q34
Are there any reach weapons with an expanded critical range instead of a higher multiplier?

I'm aware you can improve your own reach via size/deformities, or use an exotic material like kaorti resin, I'm looking for something more basic than that.

Nezkrul
2019-06-03, 09:42 AM
Q 35:

Regarding the colossus creature in the epic level handbook- The immunity to magic ability.

Is that ability directly defined by the antimagic field ability and only uses that block of text for its rules?

Or is the colossus literally immune to all spells, including conjured instantaneous effects (like the orb spells in spell compendium) AND has an AMF around it, in addition?

I know golem magic immunity was updated from 3.0 to 3.5, but the ELH update failed to update this ability of the colossus.

Bouregard
2019-06-04, 02:56 AM
Q 36:

Vampires and their Create Spawn ability.

What exactly are the limits of "enslaved"? Does the lesser vampire obey suicidal commands, like taking a sun bath?

Nezkrul
2019-06-04, 06:40 AM
A 36:

Yes. Enslaved to the master’s will. If he wills you to sun bathe, you do so. The only limit is that of the imagination and whims of the master.

Blue Jay
2019-06-04, 11:07 AM
Q34
Are there any reach weapons with an expanded critical range instead of a higher multiplier?

I'm aware you can improve your own reach via size/deformities, or use an exotic material like kaorti resin, I'm looking for something more basic than that.

A34

The talenta sharrash is an exotic weapon from Eberron Campaign Setting: it's like a scythe with reach. The copy of ECS I'm looking at says the crit range is 19-20, and the multiplier is x4, but a lot of online sources list the mulitplier as x2. You'll need someone else with better knowledge of Eberron sources than I to confirm the multiplier, but I'm reasonably confident that the range is 19-20.

OgresAreCute
2019-06-04, 11:15 AM
A34

The talenta sharrash is an exotic weapon from Eberron Campaign Setting: it's like a scythe with reach. The copy of ECS I'm looking at says the crit range is 19-20, and the multiplier is x4, but a lot of online sources list the mulitplier as x2. You'll need someone else with better knowledge of Eberron sources than I to confirm the multiplier, but I'm reasonably confident that the range is 19-20.

Both Dragon #331 and ECS list it as d10, reach, 19-20/x4.

Falontani
2019-06-04, 03:54 PM
Both Dragon #331 and ECS list it as d10, reach, 19-20/x4.

Errata changed one or the other. I don't remember which.

OgresAreCute
2019-06-04, 03:59 PM
Errata changed one or the other. I don't remember which.

Indeed, errata for ECS released in 2006 (available on the archives here (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/ECSerrata_02062006.zip)) take it from 19-20/x4 to 19-20/x2.

Cygnia
2019-06-05, 04:35 PM
Q37
Would a Vest of Resistance +1 stack with a Cloak of Resistance +3 or would only the higher buff work?

Blue Jay
2019-06-05, 04:43 PM
Q37
Would a Vest of Resistance +1 stack with a Cloak of Resistance +3 or would only the higher buff work?

A37
Bonuses of the same type do not stack. They're both resistance bonuses, so they do not stack with each other.

Thurbane
2019-06-06, 12:24 AM
Q 038

Can a Tibbit in cat form verbally communicate with a Catfolk using the Feline language?

St Fan
2019-06-06, 01:26 AM
Q 39

Is there any spell or effect that can cause a temporary Constitution penalty (but not constitution damage), like Ray of Enfeeblement does for Strength?

Kaleph
2019-06-06, 02:04 AM
Q 39

Is there any spell or effect that can cause a temporary Constitution penalty (but not constitution damage), like Ray of Enfeeblement does for Strength?

A 39

This question may imply multiple answers, so it could be better to create a separate thread, instead.
Ray of entropy (SpC) does what you're searching for (but it's a 6th level spell), and bestow curse comes very close (although the penalty is permanent); boneblast (BoVD) deals a small constitution damage, like some spells that basically poison the victim (e.g. the "Poison" spell, but the wu jen also gets some). A quick research showed also spirit worm (SpC), a touch spell that lasts up to 5 rounds and deals 1 point of con-damage/round.

Most of the spells I was able to find allow a saving throw, tho.

St Fan
2019-06-06, 06:20 AM
A 39
This question may imply multiple answers, so it could be better to create a separate thread, instead.

I was looking for a few starting hints, not necessarily an exhaustive list. Which I have now, thanks.

St Fan
2019-06-08, 08:16 AM
Q 40

Assuming Psionics-Magic Transparency is in effect, can Spell Immunity (and its Greater/Lesser variants) affect psionic powers too?

A few about ability penalties/damage/drain and how they interact.

Q 41
A: Can an enhancement bonus to an ability score be reduced by ability damage/drain? Or the fact that it comes from another source (magic item, spell) exempts it?

B: As a corollary, if a character is reduced to 0 in an ability score (other than Constitution) but receive a an enhancement bonus to said score, is he no longer helpless?

C: And since an ability score cannot fall below 0, is the character in the above case now immune to further ability damage to this score?

Q 42
If a character has suffered both ability damage/drain to an ability score, but also temporary reductions to the same ability (from exhaustion, or ray of enfeeblement or similar spells), enough to functionally reduce this score to 0 (again, as long as it's not Constitution, in which case he would be dead), what happen if he suffer further ability damage/drain? Is he immune since the score is technically 0, or is the damage still inflicted on the score, ignoring the temporary effects?

Q 43
If a character is reduced to 0 in a score by ability damage, and is afterward exposed to ability drain... does the fact the score cannot fall below 0 means the ability drain is ignored? Or does the amount of permanent ability drain replace some of the temporary ability damage?

Kaleph
2019-06-08, 09:31 AM
A 40
Following the transparency rules, spell immunity and power immunity are the same.

Anyhow, you have to select a "target spell" you want to be immune to. The transparency rules don't say explicitly if you can replace all the instances of the word "spell" with the word "power" in a spell description.

Nevertheless the WotC has several times explained that, in case of doubt, you just can consider a power as a spell-like ability, as in the following example: "it's helpful to think of psionic powers as something that works much like a spell-like ability".

If you believe that spell immunity may block, say, the eldritch blast, then there's no reason why it wouldn't block a power.

TheCount
2019-06-09, 01:04 PM
[B]Q 41
A: Can an enhancement bonus to an ability score be reduced by ability damage/drain? Or the fact that it comes from another source (magic item, spell) exempts it?

B: As a corollary, if a character is reduced to 0 in an ability score (other than Constitution) but receive a an enhancement bonus to said score, is he no longer helpless?

C: And since an ability score cannot fall below 0, is the character in the above case now immune to further ability damage to this score?

Q 42
If a character has suffered both ability damage/drain to an ability score, but also temporary reductions to the same ability (from exhaustion, or ray of enfeeblement or similar spells), enough to functionally reduce this score to 0 (again, as long as it's not Constitution, in which case he would be dead), what happen if he suffer further ability damage/drain? Is he immune since the score is technically 0, or is the damage still inflicted on the score, ignoring the temporary effects?

Q 43
If a character is reduced to 0 in a score by ability damage, and is afterward exposed to ability drain... does the fact the score cannot fall below 0 means the ability drain is ignored? Or does the amount of permanent ability drain replace some of the temporary ability damage?

A41,
Its only my opinion, so sorry, but i imagine the enchantbent bonuses acts as a buffer, though, i would count it as your own ability scores pumel first, then, as the total still not zero, it falls even more..... though, at that point, i think it would be easy to just tear down the source of the bonuses... actually, AMF would be quicker for the same effect, given that it suspends those bonuses....*takes note*

A42, 43
i belive debuffs stack, no matter what, no? but anyway, i think its reasonable that the drain/damage owerwrites the penalty. the end result is the same though.....

Q44
can you combo with spellwarp sniper and enlightened fist to make aoe spells into melee touch spells?
sure its retundand, but i think it would be fun!

ksbsnowowl
2019-06-09, 10:30 PM
Q 45:

When an afflicted lycanthrope is forced to make an involuntary change (due to the moon, or damaged down to 75% health), is it always to animal form, not hybrid form?

Is the answer different for a Good PC who doesn't want to change (wants to avoid alignment change, etc), and possibly different for one that has embraced his affliction (CE Werewolf might be able to become a hybrid instead via a Control Shape check?)

unseenmage
2019-06-10, 08:46 PM
Q46

Assuming these rules are in place,

DMG p. 76," For purposes of spells and other special effects, all slimes, molds, and fungi are treated as plants."

SRD Plant
Plant Type
This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.

Would using the cloth form option of Shrink Item make slimes and molds safe to touch?

Khedrac
2019-06-11, 12:50 AM
A46: Not without other rules to support them.

" For purposes of spells and other special effects, all slimes, molds, and fungi are treated as plants."

SRD Plant
Plant Type
This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.
The bolded part is relevant here - they may be plants, but they are not regular plants.

If you find a more general rule that plants without Wis and Chr are objects, then yes, but the quoted rules above are not sufficient on their own.

Kaleph
2019-06-11, 01:38 AM
A46: Not without other rules to support them.

The bolded part is relevant here - they may be plants, but they are not regular plants.

If you find a more general rule that plants without Wis and Chr are objects, then yes, but the quoted rules above are not sufficient on their own.

Everything lacking wis and cha score is an object. The fungi etc. are also to be treated as regular plants, since the alternative (i.e. "non-regular") means plant creatures.

In any case, they are objects. If the spell "shrink items" affects a whole area full of mold or whatever, or if it affects only one individual creature (creature? I guess I have to check wikipedia to see how the physiology of this stuff actually is), it's a DM call.

Brutter
2019-06-11, 05:03 AM
What are the rules for wielding a 2 handed weapon in one hand? A basic google search ends up with people trying to do it, but surely there must be rules for doing it as a normal person. Does it count as non-proficiency, so you take a -4 to hit?

Piggy Knowles
2019-06-11, 08:11 AM
Q 48, Part A: Karmic Strike allows for an attack of opportunity against any creature that makes a melee attack or touch attack against you, but requires that the opponent that hits you must be in your threatened area. A tiny creature has a reach of 0 feet, and therefore typically does not have a threatened area and must enter an opponent's space to attack them, granting an attack of opportunity. Can a tiny creature who is struck by an opponent's AoO while entering their space retaliate with a karmic strike-granted AoO? Or does the AoO resolve before the tiny creature enters the opponent's space, leaving the opponent still out of reach?

Part B: Does this change with Robilar's Gambit, which lacks the language requiring the opponent to be in your threatened area?

Khedrac
2019-06-11, 09:47 AM
Tackling "B" first because it is simpler:

A48 B: Any attack of opportunity may only be executed agianst opponents you threaten regardless of the nature of the trigger.
Exception would only be made when the text explicitly grants on, and I know of none that do so.

A48 A: Attacks of opportunity are generally regarded as coming before the actions that trigger them, so someone with 0' reach may not take the AoO for someone entering their square. Note: they will get one for someone leaving a threated area if the opponent leaves their square.
This means that if the AoO taken for someone entering a square itself grants an AoO, someone with 0' reach may not take it because they do not threaten their opponent.

Brutter
2019-06-12, 02:50 PM
Q#49: What are the rules for wielding a 2 handed weapon in one hand? A basic google search ends up with people trying to do it, but surely there must be rules for doing it as a normal person. Does it count as non-proficiency, so you take a -4 to hit?

Khedrac
2019-06-12, 03:33 PM
A49: The simple answer is that in 3.5 there are no rules for wielding a weapon using the wrong number of hands (except for using extra hands on a weapon to get more strength to damage).

However, one can work round it. A greatsword requires two hands to wield and does 2d6 damage.
A large longsword requires two hands to wield at -2 to hit and does 2d6 damage when used by a medium creature.
The monkey grip feat enables a large longsword to be wielded one-handed at -2 to hit for 2d6 damage when used by a medium creature.

Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.

OgresAreCute
2019-06-13, 01:13 PM
Q 50

How does Energy Admixture interact with Empower and Maximize? Let's say for example an Admixtured Empowered Maximized Fireball at CL 10:
The empowered and maximized fireball deals 60 + 10d6*0.5 damage, so does adding admixture to that lead to:
120 + 20d6*0.5
60 + 10d6*0.5 + 10d6
or something else?

Khedrac
2019-06-13, 02:47 PM
A50: 60 + 10d6*0.5 fire + 10d6 other energy
The logic on empower and maximize not interacting but both applying to the base spell is applied to admixture as well.

Thurbane
2019-06-13, 05:29 PM
Re-posts(s) for a new page:

Q 028

If I am a 9th level Monk with the Invisible Fist ACF, are the "cooldown" times of invisibility and blink tracked separately?

Q 038

Can a Tibbit in cat form verbally communicate with a Catfolk using the Feline language?

unseenmage
2019-06-14, 01:12 AM
Q51
Can Wish create dirt or water or vegetation of some large volume bases on property values of land?

Am imagining it being used in the vacume of space of a largely empty outer plane.

OgresAreCute
2019-06-14, 06:06 AM
Q 52

Is there a rule for what happens to CR when you give a monster WBL as a PC or NPC? (and if so, what is it)

Debatra
2019-06-14, 06:30 AM
A 50 Contention

The Empower/Maximize interaction is a specific part of the Maximize Spell feat (oddly enough, it's not also part of Empower). Energy Admixture specifically states that it adds extra dice of damage where appropriate, which would be a variable numeric effect. It would be 60+10d6*0.5 each of fire and the other energy type (rolled separately).

If there's more disagreement, OgresAreCute may want to make a separate thread for this.

unseenmage
2019-06-14, 07:44 AM
Q53
Can a magic item have both a spell and a psionic power in it? Say an at will use item of Ego Whip and Fireball?

Debatra
2019-06-14, 08:49 AM
A 53 Yes.
ten characters

King of Nowhere
2019-06-14, 09:50 AM
Q54: are there ways to destroy a wall of force in antimagic field without collapsing the antimagic field in the first place?
I'm thinking of a setup with a powerful creature trapped in a forcecage with a character emanating an antimagic field standing outside protecting the cage (the cage is the version with holes, so it won't block line of effect), and was wondering if it was possible to free the creature other than having to kill the caster first

St Fan
2019-06-14, 09:51 AM
Q 51

Does holy water work inside an Anti-Magic Field?

Duke of Urrel
2019-06-14, 10:45 AM
Q 51

Does holy water work inside an Anti-Magic Field?

A 51

Yes.

Here are some reasons why.

Holy water appears on Table 3-8: Mundane Items on page 56 of the DM's Guide. In the same rulebook, holy water is not listed as a magic item.

Holy water can be created by the Bless Water spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWater.htm), which has an instantaneous duration.

The description of the Antimagic Field spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm) has this to say.

The effects of instantaneous conjurations, such as create water, are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.

I believe this rule also applies to instantaneous transmutations, such as the Bless Water spell.

The description of the Antimagic Field spell also states:

Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

Even if you assume that there must be something magical about holy water, this magic may well be deific magic that is unaffected by the Antimagic Field spell. (There is also no indication in any rulebook that holy water bears any detectable magic aura, so that even if holy water theoretically contains ongoing magic of some kind, it can only be supernatural magic.) Another spell that mortals may cast but that may also "open the door" to deific magic is the Hallow spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm), whose duration is instantaneous but whose effect, a holy site that lasts for a whole year, is not.

I believe these assumptions also apply to unholy water.

Zaq
2019-06-15, 12:03 PM
Q 55

Shrink item can explicitly work on a burning fire and its fuel, turning them into a “clothlike” item. Is it correct to say that because nothing in the spell says otherwise, the fire is still burning, implying both that it is still hot and that the fuel is still being consumed? If not, why not?

King of Nowhere
2019-06-15, 09:50 PM
Q 55

Shrink item can explicitly work on a burning fire and its fuel, turning them into a “clothlike” item. Is it correct to say that because nothing in the spell says otherwise, the fire is still burning, implying both that it is still hot and that the fuel is still being consumed? If not, why not?

A55: yes, the implication is that the fire is still burning, and the object is still hot and still being consumed. It is not, however, explicitly mentioned if also the heat produced in the fire is reduced as appropriate to its new size or not.

unseenmage
2019-06-15, 10:02 PM
A55: yes, the implication is that the fire is still burning, and the object is still hot and still being consumed. It is not, however, explicitly mentioned if also the heat produced in the fire is reduced as appropriate to its new size or not.
So would a shrink Item-ed mug of water spill? A shrink Item-ed chain still clink and rattle?

Q56
A shrink Item-ed corpse be animated by animate dead or resurrected in its shrunken form?

unseenmage
2019-06-16, 09:44 AM
Q57

I'm reading MotP page 204-205 going over the Mirror Plane material and I thought I remembered reading that mirror duplicates shattered into disintegrating shards of glass when slain but I am not finding that anywhere...
Did I make it up? Did I read it somewhere else?

Can we make mirror duplicates of undead, that are now outsiders, then raise their corpses as the SAME undead?
edit: nope mirror duplicates dont leave corpses.

Q58
Planar Shepard and mirror plane where does the duplicate appear when the barbarian moves up to swing?

(The above assumes that unupdated 3.0 material gets ported to 3.5)

Venger
2019-06-16, 05:26 PM
A56 Yes and yes. The creature would remain small until the duration of the initial shrink item wore off.

King of Nowhere
2019-06-16, 05:44 PM
So would a shrink Item-ed mug of water spill? A shrink Item-ed chain still clink and rattle?

yes and yes. However, there is no specification if a big chain that got shrunk will clink and rattle as much as a big chain, or if it will clink and rattle as much as a small chain. there is some argument that it would still clink as the big chain because shrink does not give bonus to move silently; then again, size does not give a bonus to move silently, so by RAW an ant walking should be as noisy as a human. I would not apply strict RAW to that.

As for the mug of water, the water spilled would remain shrunk until the duration expires, then revert to normal size. There is the chance that the mug is now so small that no water is spilled because of surface tension, if you like to use some science. but that's out of RAW.
But this is going offtopic. This thread is for RAW questions, only for discussing exact interpretation of the rules. the implications of physical principles where the rules do not specify anything are not to be discussed here.

Anyway, shrink item only shrinks items. It does not put them in any sort of stasis, as your questions would imply.

Thurbane
2019-06-18, 09:25 PM
Q 059

Can a creature with the Augmented Critical (say, a Greenspawn Razorfiend) ability further increase the threat range of it's natural weapon with the Improved Critical feat, or do they not stack?

Venger
2019-06-18, 10:18 PM
A 59 No. Improved critical is inclusive with its language, so no effect will work.

DeTess
2019-06-19, 04:55 AM
Q 060
Can polymorph any object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) be chained to gain a permanent transformation that would be impossible in one step? For example, turning a horse into a similar-size but more intelligent mammal (same kingdom, class and size), then turning that creature into a wyvern(same kingdom, intelligence and size) and then turning the wyvern into a true dragon (same kingdom, class and size)?

Khedrac
2019-06-19, 06:37 AM
A060: Probably Yes

Can polymorph any object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) be chained to gain a permanent transformation that would be impossible in one step? For example, turning a horse into a similar-size but more intelligent mammal (same kingdom, class and size), then turning that creature into a wyvern(same kingdom, intelligence and size) and then turning the wyvern into a true dragon (same kingdom, class and size)?

This is actually the basis of quite a few "High Op" suggestions seen on this board, (though they usally skip the chain and use one temporary Polymorph to get near to the desired form then a permanent one to go to it - something that riases the question fo "what happens when the temporary spell runs out?")

Doing it with a chain means all the spells are permanent, so it should work, but they will be subject to dispelling.

The more I look at this, the more I am convinced that the answer is "yes" (subjetc to dispel/disjoin) but be aware that DMs may disagree about what objects/creatures are in the same "kingdom" etc. - the spell's use of real-world taxonomy doesn't fit with the rest of D&D at all.

EDIT: Some DMs may rule that Polymorph Any Object checks the target's actual form not its current one - it's not how I would read the rules (unless they were being abused) but I don't think the rules contradict it either.

Duke of Urrel
2019-06-19, 06:46 AM
Q 060

A 60

Ask your dungeon master.

There is an answer given in the D&D v. 3.5 Frequently Asked Questions (31st of July 2007) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20070731a) that indicates that yes, you CAN "chain" multiple castings of the Polymorph Any Object spell in the way that you describe. The answer appears on page 87.

A spell only checks to see if you are a legal target when it is cast. If you become an illegal target later (such as via the polymorph spell), the spell remains in effect.

However, the answers given in the FAQs are generally considered not to have the full authority of the RAW. Moreover, some of the criteria that determine the duration of the Polymorph Any Object spell (above all the "Same class" criterion and the "Related" criterion) are subject to the dungeon master's judgement. So my advice is: Ask your dungeon master.

Venger
2019-06-19, 08:06 AM
Q 060

A60 Unequivocally yes. In your example, the simplest way of doing so with the fewest steps is pao the horse into a true dragon, then pao that true dragon into a true dragon, which would make it permanent.

ksbsnowowl
2019-06-19, 08:54 AM
Repost to new page:

Q 45:

When an afflicted lycanthrope is forced to make an involuntary change (due to the moon, or damaged down to 75% health), is it always to animal form, not hybrid form?

Is the answer different for a Good PC who doesn't want to change (wants to avoid alignment change, etc), and possibly different for one that has embraced his affliction (CE Werewolf might be able to become a hybrid instead via a Control Shape check?)

Q61:

In a situation where a bad guy is hiding very well in a home, that the PC's can't see him (has high Hide ranks, is hidden in an alcove), but they know that something is there because the paladin cast Detect Evil, and can thus note the aura, but none of the PC's want to clear the edge of the alcove to get a clear line of sight on the hidden creature, how is initiative and flat-footedness resolved if the hidden bad guy initiates combat by throwing a knife at one of the party members, but then proceeds to roll last in initiative?

Is the bad guy flat-footed for nearly all of the first round (until his turn, last in the round), even though he was the first to initiate combat? Is his attack technically the only action in the Surprise round? Or is there no Surprise round because "everyone was aware" that something was there (even though for most of the party it was only because the paladin told them there was an aura he could see through a wall)?

Venger
2019-06-19, 09:23 AM
A61 If the party knew the enemy was somewhere in the house, they are aware of him, qed no surprise round. If they roll init and he comes last, he cannot throw the knife until the end of the round, and remains flat footed while the party takes actions, sets up a perimeter, burns his house down, and has the others ready actions to attack him when he flees.

You only get a surprise round when you're aware of the enemy and they're not aware of you. That's not the case here.

KillianHawkeye
2019-06-19, 10:14 AM
A61 correction

Just having a detect evil spell give a positive result isn't enough to be aware of an enemy. Aura strength alone won't tell you if you're detecting an evil creature (or what kind of creature) or a spell or a magic item.

Being on guard doesn't give you any special advantage on initiative or for avoiding surprise. In fact, PCs generally find themselves in dangerous environments and are frequently on guard for things jumping out at them. This does not circumvent the rules for initiative.

The answer is that the hiding enemy DOES get a surprise round if he attacks before he is spotted. The entire party of PCs is caught by surprise, even the Paladin. The attacker is not flat-footed in the first round of combat even if his initiative result is poor because he's already acted once.

Venger
2019-06-19, 10:31 AM
A61 correction

Just having a detect evil spell give a positive result isn't enough to be aware of an enemy. Aura strength alone won't tell you if you're detecting an evil creature (or what kind of creature) or a spell or a magic item.

Being on guard doesn't give you any special advantage on initiative or for avoiding surprise. In fact, PCs generally find themselves in dangerous environments and are frequently on guard for things jumping out at them. This does not circumvent the rules for initiative.

The answer is that the hiding enemy DOES get a surprise round if he attacks before he is spotted. The entire party of PCs is caught by surprise, even the Paladin. The attacker is not flat-footed in the first round of combat even if his initiative result is poor because he's already acted once.
I had understood the party was following him then he ducked into the house, so they know he's there. If that's not the case, then yes, your analysis is correct.

Arkhios
2019-06-19, 10:38 PM
Q62 Improved Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar) — can you choose an elemental as your familiar even if you don't have a corresponding subtype yourself? For example, could a human wizard choose a small water elemental as their improved familiar?

KillianHawkeye
2019-06-20, 08:33 AM
A 62

Yes, with DM's permission.

Both of the lists (Improved Familiar by Alignment and Improved Familiar by Master's Type/Subtype) are noted as being possible examples of the types of creatures and ways of assigning them. Elementals would be suitable familiars for a Neutral-aligned spellcaster.

If you want a completely RAW way of doing it, you can instead take the Planar Familiar feat (Planar Handbook p.41), which requires 5 ranks in Knowledge (the planes) but is otherwise the same as Improved Familiar, except that the familiar isn't allowed to use the master's skill ranks.

unseenmage
2019-06-20, 03:55 PM
Q63a
If one creates a Simulacrum of a Dvati does it generate one body or two?

Q63b
As above but for Mirror Duplicates created by the Plane of Mirrors as detailed in the Manual of the Planes?

Q63c
If one uses Gate to call a Dvati do both bodies come through or just one?

Venger
2019-06-20, 04:03 PM
A63a,b,c A dvati is one person who has 2 bodies. Each of these creates another dvati, which is to say 2 bodies.

unseenmage
2019-06-20, 04:17 PM
Q64
Do Dvati share the 8 hrs per day of magic item crafting time limit or does each twin get it's own?

Venger
2019-06-20, 04:55 PM
A64 They share it.

unseenmage
2019-06-20, 04:59 PM
A64 They share it.
Could you clarify why that is please?

Debatra
2019-06-20, 07:47 PM
Q 65

Are there any slashing or bludgeoning equivalents to shield spikes?

Venger
2019-06-20, 09:04 PM
Could you clarify why that is please?

A64 clarification Dvati function as a normal, non-dvati character unless otherwise specified. They accrue and earn xp normally, for example. They craft as a non-dvati, because the rules do not say otherwise. At best, you could probably get your dm to have one body craft as long as the other takes no actions (like spellcasting) but nothing else.

unseenmage
2019-06-21, 07:05 AM
Q66
Does Shapesand ever occur naturally?

Venger
2019-06-21, 07:16 PM
A66 No, it does not

Jowgen
2019-06-22, 01:02 AM
Q 67

The sleepsmoke poison (waterdeep) affects a globe 10 feet in diameter on the first round, expanding outward to a globe 20 feet in diameter on the second round.

At what points in the initiative order do creatures who are exposed in the original 10 ft effect area and succeed the first save make their second save? Start of round? Start of their turn? Counting 1 turn from the initial exposure? Something else?

King of Nowhere
2019-06-22, 06:26 PM
Q68: I gave a homebrew creature the ability to get maximum hit points for every hit dice. I wonder what would be the proper way to write it in the monster sheet.
Because

Hit dice: 60d10+60 (660 hp)
looks rather dumb

Venger
2019-06-22, 08:42 PM
A68 That would be the correct way to write it

St Fan
2019-06-23, 04:43 AM
Q 67

The sleepsmoke poison (waterdeep) affects a globe 10 feet in diameter on the first round, expanding outward to a globe 20 feet in diameter on the second round.

At what points in the initiative order do creatures who are exposed in the original 10 ft effect area and succeed the first save make their second save? Start of round? Start of their turn? Counting 1 turn from the initial exposure? Something else?

A 67
As a general rule, when an effect is prolonged over several rounds, the damage/saving throws are always done on the same initiative turn than when it is started. So, it should be the start of the turn of the character who deployed the poison.

unseenmage
2019-06-23, 08:43 AM
Q69
I have a mindless vermin
I apply the paragon template as an inherited template
then I hit it with Mineralize Warrior from the Underdark book.
The mineral warrior template says "-2 Int (minimum 1)"

Did my mindless vermin just gain an intelligence score?
If so, does the paragon template jack that 1 up to a 16?

Venger
2019-06-23, 11:19 AM
A69 Only humanoids are eligible for mineralize warrior. You can't apply it to vermin.

But let's say you had an int - humanoid somehow. - is not 0. It's a null value. - minus 2 is still -. It doesn't rubber band up to 1 from things like mineral warrior. It's the same reason you can't give a vermin a headband of intellect to put its int to 2.

Arael666
2019-06-23, 04:25 PM
Q70
Are the effects of the grease spell visible?
If so, are they obvious? or is a spot check required to notice the effects?

Venger
2019-06-23, 04:54 PM
A70 Yes. Yes. No.

Piggy Knowles
2019-06-23, 10:01 PM
Q 65

Are there any slashing or bludgeoning equivalents to shield spikes?

A 65

Yes. The razored shield from Underdark is treated as a spiked shield but deals slashing damage instead of piercing. As for a bludgeoning equivalent, no, but a non-spiked light or heavy shield can be used in a shield bash to deal bludgeoning damage.

Debatra
2019-06-24, 02:11 AM
A 65

Yes. The razored shield from Underdark is treated as a spiked shield but deals slashing damage instead of piercing. As for a bludgeoning equivalent, no, but a non-spiked light or heavy shield can be used in a shield bash to deal bludgeoning damage.

Hmm, I can't find it. What page is it on?

Venger
2019-06-24, 11:18 AM
Hmm, I can't find it. What page is it on?

it's on page 64. further shield-related advice in Person_Man's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?123630-3-X-Person-Man-s-Guide-to-Shields)

daremetoidareyo
2019-06-24, 02:07 PM
Q71. I use hideous blow on my Lance during a charge, do I triple my eldritch blast damage?

Zaq
2019-06-24, 02:23 PM
Q71. I use hideous blow on my Lance during a charge, do I triple my eldritch blast damage?

Q71 clarifying question The action types involved in doing that are typically incompatible. What’s your workaround for taking a standard action during a charge?

daremetoidareyo
2019-06-24, 03:51 PM
Q71 clarifying question The action types involved in doing that are typically incompatible. What’s your workaround for taking a standard action during a charge?

Quicken SLA from tome of magic

AthasianWarlock
2019-06-24, 05:51 PM
Q72

This third imaskarcana says "Anyone who successfully communicates with the tome can use the following powers as spell-like abilities (caster level 18th), each once per day: dominate monster, imprisonment, meteor swarm (DC 23), and time stop."

Does this mean if one party member has it, each player that can talk it gains access to the spells?

unseenmage
2019-06-24, 11:42 PM
Q73
Will water pour through a spell-made planar breach created at the bottom of the ocean/plane of water?

Troacctid
2019-06-25, 12:01 AM
A60 Unequivocally yes. In your example, the simplest way of doing so with the fewest steps is pao the horse into a true dragon, then pao that true dragon into a true dragon, which would make it permanent.
Correction

The spell specifically references the creature's original form. Additionally, per PHB 172, when a spell like polymorph any object is cast multiple times with varying effects, all castings except the most recent are rendered irrelevant.

That depends on whether you consider the damage to be dealt by the lance or not.

I'm assuming based on context that this is with a mounted charge, so there is no action conflict.

St Fan
2019-06-25, 05:09 AM
Q73
Will water pour through a spell-made planar breach created at the bottom of the ocean/plane of water?

A 73
I think the accepted standard is that gates and other planar openings don't allow atmospheres to mix/bodies of water to go through (in which case, the answer is no), but I'm not sure it is actually stated somewhere in the rules.

Q 74
I do realize this one goes without question for the class feature to simply work, but nonetheless: is it clearly stated anywhere in the rules that familiars don't grow old (or gain the same longevity as their masters) rather than keeping the much shorter lifespan of a normal animal?

Venger
2019-06-25, 08:54 AM
A74 Not explicitly, but the creature's type does change to magical beast, so you could explain their longevity that way if for whatever reason you needed to.

GeminiVeil
2019-06-26, 12:00 PM
Q75
I have a question about Starmetal. On Comp Arc, pg 141, it says that starmetal is like Adamantine and can overcome damage reduction like Adamantine, and states to look at Adamantine on page 283 of the DMG.
However, looking at that page, I don't see anywhere where Adamantine overcomes DR. I only see it bypassing hardness.
So, is starmetal only meant to overcome Hardness? Or is overcoming DR supposed to be in addition to overcoming hardness?

OgresAreCute
2019-06-26, 01:00 PM
Q75
I have a question about Starmetal. On Comp Arc, pg 141, it says that starmetal is like Adamantine and can overcome damage reduction like Adamantine, and states to look at Adamantine on page 283 of the DMG.
However, looking at that page, I don't see anywhere where Adamantine overcomes DR. I only see it bypassing hardness.
So, is starmetal only meant to overcome Hardness? Or is overcoming DR supposed to be in addition to overcoming hardness?

A75

Some Damage Reduction is overcome by Adamantine weapons, written as DR XX/Adamantine (example: the iron golem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm#ironGolem)). A weapon made of Starmetal would overcome such DR.

St Fan
2019-06-27, 08:44 AM
Q 76

About the "Supernatural Spell" feature of a Dweomerkeeper...

The spell functions as it normally would and is expended normally, but the dweomerkeeper does not require any components, does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and ignores the target's spell resistance, just as if she were using a supernatural ability instead of a spell.

Considering the above, and the general rule about supernatural abilities...

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.

My guess is that a Supernatural Spell cannot be counterspelled either (no components, like a spell-like ability), but would that also makes the spell immune to ordinary dispel magic?

Venger
2019-06-27, 11:50 AM
A77 You cannot counterspell a supernatural ability. Dispel magic does not work on supernatural abilities.

Thurbane
2019-06-28, 07:07 PM
Q 078 (?)

Are there any rules for "unhorsing" a mounted opponent?

Venger
2019-06-28, 08:10 PM
A78 If you successfully trip a mounted opponent (opposed by his ride check,) he is unmounted.

El'the Ellie
2019-06-29, 12:45 AM
Q 79

Can someone flank or get a flanking bonus when weilding a ranged weapon? Does the answer change if the creature has Arrow Mind up?

If a 4th Elocator with arrow mind and sneak attack uses their flanker ability to treat an adjacent square as their occupied space for flanking, can they make flanked attacks from a range with a ranged weapon, and gain their sneak attack?

Venger
2019-06-29, 12:50 AM
Q 79

Can someone flank or get a flanking bonus when weilding a ranged weapon? Does the answer change if the creature has Arrow Mind up?
A79 Not unless they threaten, such as with an elvencraft bow, for example. Arrow mind allows you to threaten, so it would allow you to flank and provide flanking.

If a 4th Elocator with arrow mind and sneak attack uses their flanker ability to treat an adjacent square as their occupied space for flanking, can they make flanked attacks from a range with a ranged weapon, and gain their sneak attack?
Yes.

Alec the great
2019-06-29, 04:51 AM
Q80

This is a 3.5 psionic question, Does this work?

Round 1: use any power with the matapower link power (the linked power is synchronicity)

Round 2: use the power hustle, link power synchronicity goes off and now I can take two full rounds of attack?

Synchronicity
You gain a brief glimpse into the future that allows you to arrange a coincidence of of events. When you manifeeeest this power, you can ready a standard action (without spending an action to do so) and use it whenver you choose before your next turn. Unlike the normal use of readied actions, you need not specify the condition under which you take your readied action. If you do not perform your readied action before your next turn, you lose that action.
Augment
If you spend 2 additional power points, you do not need to specify the standard action you are readying. In effect, you can take your normal move action and then take any standard action at some later point in the round, depending on how events unfold.

Hustle
You gain an additional move action in the current round. Taking a full round’s worth of attacks and then using this power to move away from your foe does provoke attacks of opportunity.
You can manifest this power with an instant thought, quickly enough to gain the benefit of the power before you move. Manifesting the power is a swift action You cannot manifest this power when it isn’t your turn.

Thanks.

KillianHawkeye
2019-06-29, 06:41 AM
A 80

No.

Synchronicity refers to the rules for readying an action. You cannot combine a readied action with a spare Move action to get a Full-Round action.

St Fan
2019-06-29, 07:59 AM
Q 81

What is the effect of a Confusion spell cast on a swarm that isn't a hive mind (and is susceptible to it, i.e. non-vermin) or a mob (from Cityscape)?

My guess is the saving throw is unique, as usual for swarms or mobs, but does the varying effect each round apply to the whole swarm/mob, or is it rather applied to part of it (in other words, 30% of them attack each other, 20% flee away, 30% do nothing but babble, etc.), very likely breaking the swarm/mob in the process?

Zaq
2019-06-29, 10:57 AM
Q 81

What is the effect of a Confusion spell cast on a swarm that isn't a hive mind (and is susceptible to it, i.e. non-vermin) or a mob (from Cityscape)?

My guess is the saving throw is unique, as usual for swarms or mobs, but does the varying effect each round apply to the whole swarm/mob, or is it rather applied to part of it (in other words, 30% of them attack each other, 20% flee away, 30% do nothing but babble, etc.), very likely breaking the swarm/mob in the process?

A 81

Your answer is amusing and I’d support it as a houserule, but I do not believe it is RAW.

Swarm
Swarms are dense masses of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures that would not be particularly dangerous in small groups, but can be terrible foes when gathered in sufficient numbers. For game purposes a swarm is defined as a single creature with a space of 10 feet—gigantic hordes are actually composed of dozens of swarms in close proximity. A swarm has a single pool of Hit Dice and hit points, a single initiative modifier, a single speed, and a single Armor Class. It makes saving throws as a single creature.

A swarm is treated as a single creature. This doesn’t have an exception for random effects that aren’t simply saving throws. (A ground-bound swarm like a rat swarm doesn’t have to make a gazillion Balance checks to determine which individual rats fall prone when moving through a grease spell or a similar Balance-requiring area, for example.)

Piggy Knowles
2019-06-30, 10:37 AM
Q82: If you take Vow of Poverty on an even-numbered level, do you gain a bonus exalted feat at that level?

Bonus Exalted Feats: At 1st level, an ascetic gets a bonus exalted feat, and another bonus feat at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter. Unlike the other benefits of a vow of poverty, a character does not gain these bonus feats retroactively when he takes the Vow of Poverty feat; he only gains those bonus feats that apply for the levels he gains after swearing his vow. Thus, the bonus feat gained at 1st level is available only to humans who take both Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty at 1st level.

The wording is a bit odd here, as it states your bonus feats only apply for levels after swearing your vow, but then also says that a human who takes Sacred Vow and VoP at 1st level also gains a bonus exalted feat at that level.

Troacctid
2019-06-30, 12:53 PM
Q82: If you take Vow of Poverty on an even-numbered level, do you gain a bonus exalted feat at that level?

The wording is a bit odd here, as it states your bonus feats only apply for levels after swearing your vow, but then also says that a human who takes Sacred Vow and VoP at 1st level also gains a bonus exalted feat at that level.
It says you only gain the bonus feats for levels gained after you take the vow, but then gives a clarifying example where you gain the bonus feat and the vow at the same level. The reasonable conclusion resolving this contradiction is that the timing is just a bit wonky due to the abstracted nature of leveling up, and you do in fact gain the bonus feat for the level you take the vow—or, alternatively, you could say that you only just leveled up to level 6, and you have the whole rest of the level ahead of you. Either that or 1st level is different somehow, so it only works for exactly level 1. I could see an argument for either reading, but I think the former is better supported by RAI. Remember that the general rule for feats is that you can take them at the same level you qualify for them—not directly applicable here, but definitely an analogous precedent, IMO.

AnimeTheCat
2019-07-01, 09:05 AM
Q83 In the Digester entry in the Monster Manual, the Acid Spray ability says:

A digester can spray acid in a 20-foot cone, dealing 4d8 points of damage to everything in the area. Once a digester uses this ability, it can't use it again until 1d4 rounds later. The creature can also produce a concentrated stream of acid that deals 8d8 points of damage to a single target within 5 feet. In either case, a DC 17 Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Based on that, it sounds like the 20 ft spary that deals 4d8 damage to everything is the only acid spray ability that takes 1d4 rounds to recharge. Is this correct, or is any use of the Acid Spray ability on a 1d4 round recharge?

unseenmage
2019-07-01, 10:26 AM
Q84

if a material from another plane is brought to the material plane then animated where does Banishment send the resultant creature?

Same question as above but for Reincarnate making someone a new body on another planr when the person is originally from the material plane?

BONUS Q
What if the animated creature is half otherplanar material and half material plane material that was transported to the other plane?

St Fan
2019-07-01, 10:29 AM
Based on that, it sounds like the 20 ft spray that deals 4d8 damage to everything is the only acid spray ability that takes 1d4 rounds to recharge. Is this correct, or is any use of the Acid Spray ability on a 1d4 round recharge?

A 83
I think the intent of the ability is that it takes 1d4 rounds between any use (the time for the body glands to fill up with acid), whether a cloud or line, but you're correct to note that this is badly worded.

MisterKaws
2019-07-01, 09:36 PM
A84

By RAW, you're native to the plane you're born in, and Reincarnate does birth you anew, so you'd be native to the plane you were reincarnated in.

It might even qualify as a reason to obtain Celestial/Fiendish/Axiomatic/Anarchic templates depending on your DM.

Mrark
2019-07-02, 07:20 AM
Q85
Does the "polymorph any object" spell work on liches?

Mrark
2019-07-02, 07:29 AM
Q86
Can you use "Moment of Prescience" to gain a bonus to your initiative roll?

MisterKaws
2019-07-02, 07:36 AM
A85

Liches are immune to Polymorph. However, it's explicitly stated that they can use Polymorph on themselves.

Immunities (Ex)

Liches have immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph (though they can use polymorph effects on themselves), and mind-affecting attacks.

Venger
2019-07-02, 12:20 PM
A86 Yes. Initiative is an opposed ability check.

jdizzlean
2019-07-02, 03:02 PM
Q87

if you have a SLA that uses an 8th level spell, could you take Extra Spell or Extra Slot to give you a 7th level spell?

Assume that you don't have a 7th lvl slot by class progression.

MisterKaws
2019-07-02, 03:21 PM
A87

While the caster level would indeed let you qualify for the feats, SLAs don't count as spells of equivalent level for pre-requisites, although they do count if the pre-requisite includes being able to cast the specific spell the SLA is derived from. Thus, you would only be able to choose a spell up to one level lower than the highest-level real spell you can cast. The specific rules for this are at the beginning of the Prestige Classes chapter of Complete Arcane, although I don't have my glasses right now to read it.

We should take this to dysfunctional rules, since you can actually qualify for the feats without being able to choose a spell.

El'the Ellie
2019-07-02, 04:20 PM
Q 88

When a wilder augments a power and uses wild surge, does the wild surge pay for the entire augment cost, or only for the additional points allowed by the manifester level increase?

Example: a 4th level wilder manifests Vigor for 5 power points, to gain 25 hp. Do they spend 4 points (and the 5th point is supplied by the wild surge) or do they spend 1 point (and the remaining 4 are supplied by the surge)?

MisterKaws
2019-07-02, 05:34 PM
A88

The class feature specifies that only the exact value augmented by Wild Surge is free:

however, she pays no extra power point for this wild surge. Instead, the additional 1 power point that would normally be required to augment the power is effectively supplied by the wild surge.

And then it just mentions the scaling later, while following the same rules.

unseenmage
2019-07-04, 05:12 PM
Q89
When using the Wish spell to transport a character can the transportation be detected or redirected as with Teleport spells/effects?

Can one be followed using magic if one is wish transported?

Venger
2019-07-04, 06:33 PM
A89 No. Anticipate teleportation only detects spells with the [teleportation] descriptor, as do similar effects. While wish would inherit that if it were mimicking a spell, using its own native transport function does not impart the descriptor.

No for similar reasons.

Falontani
2019-07-04, 11:56 PM
Q 90
The insanity caused by prismatic spray, does it bypass mind affecting immunity?

Venger
2019-07-05, 12:09 AM
A90 Yes. It simply references the insanity spell because insane is not a condition on its own. Prismatic spray is not mind-affecting.

soullos
2019-07-05, 07:53 PM
Q. 91: Can sneak attack at range against targets under the effects of the Phantom Threat spell (spell compendium page 157)?

MisterKaws
2019-07-05, 08:04 PM
A91

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.

The Rogue is not flanking the target in this case, so no.

justiceforall
2019-07-05, 09:57 PM
Q92

A) If I have a 1st level incarnate with psycarnum infusion and I activate it on a soulmeld, how much essentia would I have in that soulmeld for that round?
B) What kind of action is it to use psycarnum infusion?

Venger
2019-07-06, 12:21 AM
A92 a You'd have whatever the normal maximum was.
A92 b expending your psionic focus is a nonaction.

Thurbane
2019-07-06, 08:22 PM
Q 093

Which creature of the Dragon type has the most HD and/or largest size at CR18 or less? I'm looking at Desert Landwyrm (32HD/gargantuan), but there may be other options.

MisterKaws
2019-07-06, 08:33 PM
A93

Without Half-Dragon shenanigans, a Wyrm Ethereal Dragon is the highest I can find, at 34. Quick Edit: Wyrm Steel Dragon gets the same 34 earlier at CR16.

With Half-Dragon shenanigans via Savage Species rituals, an Incarnate Construct Flesh Colossus changed to Half-Dragon via rituals.

St Fan
2019-07-07, 01:04 PM
Q 094

When a character cast a spell or start an effect with a duration in rounds, each new round of it begins at the start of the caster's turn. If it has an effect every round (like damage or saving throw), this is similarly resolved at the start of the initiator's turn.

What if said caster later move in the initiative order, probably with the delay action or a readied action? Is the effect he initiated earlier still counted at the start of his turns, or does it keep instead the original initiative count?

Venger
2019-07-07, 01:14 PM
A94 It moves to your new initiative count.

Thurbane
2019-07-08, 04:59 PM
Q 095

Would having the Mineral Warrior template applied to a familiar affect it's ability to serve as a familiar?

Q 095b

If it's all kosher, how do you calculate it's Int? Is the -2 Int deducted from the Int that the familiar gains listed on the table?

MisterKaws
2019-07-08, 05:16 PM
A95

I believe you meant Q95 and Q95b there.

There's no RAW-legal way to get templated familiars asides from those few weird classes like Alienist and co. Nonetheless, there's none for Mineral Warrior.

If you did get it, though, I believe the Familiar Int would supersede it, as long as you got a familiar that already was a mineral warrior.

Thurbane
2019-07-08, 05:55 PM
A95

I believe you meant Q95 and Q95b there.

There's no RAW-legal way to get templated familiars asides from those few weird classes like Alienist and co. Nonetheless, there's none for Mineral Warrior.

If you did get it, though, I believe the Familiar Int would supersede it, as long as you got a familiar that already was a mineral warrior.

Thanks, updated OP.

Sorry, may be unclear in my original question, but I meant applying the template to an existing familiar.

There is a mechanical method to add the template to an existing familiar (Mineralize Warrior spell): the crux of my question is - would the creature then become ineligible to continue to serve as a familiar? I don't think there is any text that specifically states this to be the case?

MisterKaws
2019-07-08, 06:20 PM
Thanks, updated OP.

Sorry, may be unclear in my original question, but I meant applying the template to an existing familiar.

There is a mechanical method to add the template to an existing familiar (Mineralize Warrior spell): the crux of my question is - would the creature then become ineligible to continue to serve as a familiar? I don't think there is any text that specifically states this to be the case?

Hmm... I was unaware of this specific spell. Good to know.

If it applies after you got your familiar, I believe it would drop down the Intelligence score. This is somewhat ambiguous territory, not really supported by RAW. You should open another threat for that.

Venger
2019-07-08, 06:27 PM
A95 No. (we'll assume you pao your familiar into a humanoid first or something then dismiss the effect. I know of no legal way to begin play with a humanoid familiar)

A95b you always apply modifiers in the way most beneficial to the pc, so that means apply the penalty first, losing some since the minimum will prevent you from hitting 0, and then adding the value from the table.

Thurbane
2019-07-08, 07:00 PM
A95 No. (we'll assume you pao your familiar into a humanoid first or something then dismiss the effect. I know of no legal way to begin play with a humanoid familiar)

Interesting: I didn't realize the spell was for humanoid targets only. :smallfrown:

Oddly, the template itself says it's an acquired template that can any corporeal creature that is not a construct, undead, or an elemental; so there must be other methods to apply it other than the spell. The sample Mineral Warrior in the book is an Outsider, for instance.

martixy
2019-07-10, 10:08 AM
Q96: What's the maximum caster level for creating magic items?
(I remember seeing a rule somewhere that you can't create an item with a caster level more than twice the minimum, but I can't find it in the SRD.)

KillianHawkeye
2019-07-10, 10:11 AM
A 96

There is no maximum caster level for creating magic items.

MisterKaws
2019-07-10, 10:23 AM
A96

As an addendum, here's a quote from the ELH:

If your item gives a bonus beyond the limit allowed in the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide, multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10. Some epic characteristics, such as caster level, don’t trigger this multiplier.

This means that items above CL 21 are also priced normally, and not as Epic(unless they have an Epic bonus, of course).

martixy
2019-07-10, 10:39 AM
A96
Addendum 2:
There is a limit in at least 1 case:
Dorjes(Psionic wands) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/dorjes.htm)

Dorjes are normally created at the minimum manifester level required to manifest the power, and powers that can be augmented are not augmented when stored in a dorje. A dorje’s wielder cannot augment the power contained within the dorje. However, dorjes can be created at a higher manifester level than required to manifest the power. In this case, the dorje that holds an augmentable power is augmented, to the limit of the manifester level and the power’s augmentation maximums, if any. The manifester level of a dorje cannot be more than five higher than the minimum manifester level to use the power it contains.

Jon_Dahl
2019-07-11, 01:48 AM
Q97

Fiery Discorporation
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fieryDiscorporation.htm

Does it matter if after one day the nearest open flame is one kilometer away?

Jon_Dahl
2019-07-11, 04:18 AM
Q98

Empathic Transfer, Hostile
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransferHostile.htm

"If you spend 6 additional power points, this power affects all creatures in a 20-foot-radius spread centered on you."
If you have three opponent around and they all fail their saves, does that mean that you transfer 50 hp worth of damage on each, thus healing 150 hit points (assuming that you have lost that much)?

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-11, 11:58 AM
Q99. Can you mortalbane (bovd) your paladins mount spell like ability from paladin level 5 to have it do more damage?

PraxisVetli
2019-07-11, 01:33 PM
Q100
Would someone Polymorphed into a being with Vow of Poverty gain the benefits?

Venger
2019-07-11, 02:05 PM
A97 No

A98 Yes

A99 No. Mortalbane only applies to damaging slas. Your horse (or whatever) is the result of your summoning ability, not the ability itself, like how it couldn't apply to a summon monster sla. The sla doesn't deal damage.

A100 Polymorph does not grant feats.

Jon_Dahl
2019-07-12, 09:56 AM
Q101

Fuse Flesh
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fuseFlesh.htm
If the victim fails the first saving throw, is it helpless and open to coup de grace for the duration of the spell unless it can move without its limbs, such as via ogre mage's flight ability?

MisterKaws
2019-07-12, 10:53 AM
A101

Although not mentioned explicitly, the description for Fuse Flesh basically matches the description for the Paralyzed condition. Paralyzed creatures are helpless, so it stands to reason that creatures who fail the Fuse Flesh save are also helpless. This is, however, RAI, and not RAW, and the errata for the EPH did not change Fuse Flesh at all.

Jon_Dahl
2019-07-12, 12:32 PM
Q 102

Is Lumi crusader's CR calculated wrong in Monster Manual III on page 99? My calculations say that the CR should be 9.

I don't understand the CR in this case. I don't understand where CR8 comes from.

Khedrac
2019-07-12, 01:06 PM
Q 102

Is Lumi crusader's CR calculated wrong in Monster Manual III on page 99? My calculations say that the CR should be 9.

I don't understand the CR in this case. I don't understand where CR8 comes from.

A 102 CR isn't really a calulation. Yes there are rules for how to calculate a CR when adding class levels to a Monster Manual entry, but the actual entries themselves are definitely an art not a science (and a lot of people reagrd a lot of them as wrong).

So, yes, if you take the base (2) and add 6 (cleric levels) and 1 (half the fighter levels as non-associated) you get 9, but you could say the fighter levels are the main class and the cleric are non-associated (2 + 3 + 2 = 7). I think most likely is they have decided that the lumi hit dice count as non-associated with that many class levels added in. Either way, technically the "8" is not a calcuated value, it is a starting point for adding more class levels.

animewatcha
2019-07-13, 01:30 AM
Q 103

In dragon magazine or WOTC material. Was there a feat that allowed a githzerai or githyanki to manifest ( say inertial armor from Zerai ) at their full dice, instead of just half?

unseenmage
2019-07-13, 02:55 AM
Q104
What's a craftable Construct that advances by class levels?

Q105
Can a magic resetting trap affect itself with Foresight.

Troacctid
2019-07-13, 09:28 AM
Q104
What's a craftable Construct that advances by class levels?
Warforged, for a certain definition of craftable.

Q105
Can a magic resetting trap affect itself with Foresight.
No, foresight doesn't target objects.

Thurbane
2019-07-14, 02:04 AM
Q 106

So as not to necro a thread, posting this here:

I remember seeing a spell that summoned a gelatinous cube, and another that summoned a plant critter that used the ghoul stats, but was aplant instead pf undead. Dont remember the books though. It may have been a faerun book.

The former spells is Engulfing Terror; does anyone know which spell the second item might refer to?

Venger
2019-07-14, 03:10 AM
Q 106

So as not to necro a thread, posting this here:

The former spells is Engulfing Terror; does anyone know which spell the second item might refer to?

A question slightly outside the thread's normal fare merits an answer slightly outside the thread's normal fare:

The only data exhaustive googling of various combinations of the words "plant, ghoul, spell, summon, etc." yielded no useful information aside from one other post, also by Vizzerdrix, alluding to the same spell:

Create Crawling claw, Create Darkenbeast, minor servitor, one that summons a gelatinous cube, and another that summons a plant/ghoul thing. The last two I dont recall the names off the top of my head. I never see them used, but I feel like they have great potential.

Unfortunately no one identified the latter spell in that thread either. His listing it alongside those spells implies its inclusion in monsters of faerun. I checked my copy, and it's not there. One of my searches suggested it was in power of faerun. I checked my copy. There is exactly one (epic) spell in it and aside from one or two presno other rules information at all. What a worthless book. Also has no plant or ghoul related material.

I searched summoning, calling, and creation spells, and spells with the word "plant" or "ghoul" in them. Nothing.

At this point, I'll resort to my go-to and feel fairly confident Vizzerdrix is thinking from something from dragon magazine. Perhaps the issue featuring thrall of zuggtmoy? It had a lot of plant and undead stuff in it, perhaps it featured a spell to summon ghouls that are plants. EDIT: it's not in dragon 337 either, but might be in some other issue.

EDIT:A106 it was sticks and stones. shining south p 49.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-14, 03:37 AM
A question slightly outside the thread's normal fare merits an answer slightly outside the thread's normal fare:

The only data exhaustive googling of various combinations of the words "plant, ghoul, spell, summon, etc." yielded no useful information aside from one other post, also by Vizzerdrix, alluding to the same spell:

Unfortunately no one identified the latter spell in that thread either. His listing it alongside those spells implies its inclusion in monsters of faerun. I checked my copy, and it's not there. One of my searches suggested it was in power of faerun. I checked my copy. There is exactly one (epic) spell in it and aside from one or two presno other rules information at all. What a worthless book. Also has no plant or ghoul related material.

I searched summoning, calling, and creation spells, and spells with the word "plant" or "ghoul" in them. Nothing.

At this point, I'll resort to my go-to and feel fairly confident Vizzerdrix is thinking from something from dragon magazine. Perhaps the issue featuring thrall of zuggtmoy? It had a lot of plant and undead stuff in it, perhaps it featured a spell to summon ghouls that are plants. EDIT: it's not in dragon 337 either, but might be in some other issue.

A106
I have indeed tracked the spell down. Sticks and Stones from Shining South. Page 49. Wiz/sorc lv3 spell. It is a necromancy spell, so most likely no of use to you in regards to the original topic.

Thurbane
2019-07-14, 05:18 AM
Thank you both for your efforts. :smallsmile:

Kegeke
2019-07-14, 11:00 AM
Q 107: my Goliath with Monkey Grip was Enlarged. My "huge spiked chain" now "gargantuan spiked chain" in large goliath hands - what reach now i have? :smallfrown:

MisterKaws
2019-07-14, 11:43 AM
A107

Wielding larger weapons does not change your reach. This can lead to very questionable imagery if you look closely into the weapon's dimensions. For example, having a 30-feet sword that only hits up to 15 feet, and basically passes through farther targets like an illusion.

Kegeke
2019-07-14, 12:03 PM
A107

Wielding larger weapons does not change your reach. This can lead to very questionable imagery if you look closely into the weapon's dimensions. For example, having a 30-feet sword that only hits up to 15 feet, and basically passes through farther targets like an illusion.

i see, thank you )

OgresAreCute
2019-07-14, 12:04 PM
A 107 Addendum

To answer the exact question, your reach is 20 feet. You are an upright, large-sized creature (base reach 10 feet) wielding a reach weapon (doubles reach) for 10*2=20 feet reach.

ayvango
2019-07-14, 01:30 PM
Q108
Do Sublime Chord qualify for Arcane Fusion spell?

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-14, 01:51 PM
A 108
No. Arcane Fusion requires you to draw off of the sorcerer list specifically. Sublime Chords draw off the wizard/sorcerer and bard lists.

Jowgen
2019-07-14, 05:33 PM
Q 109

The rules for dismissing a spell state you must be "within range of the spell’s effect".

Does "range" in this context refer to the range at which the spell is cast (e.g long/touch/etc), or do you have to be within the area of effect/in touching distance?

Thurbane
2019-07-14, 05:39 PM
Q 110

Would the creature generated by the Sticks and Stones spell (Shining South p.49) be able to benefit from the feat effects if the caster had the Corpsecrafter line of feats?

St Fan
2019-07-15, 11:14 AM
Q 110

Can an Inherent bonus to an attribute be reduced by Ability Damage or Ability Drain?

Venger
2019-07-15, 12:31 PM
A110 If you mean can you be brought to 0 in that ability, yes. If you mean can it be removed, No. bonuses of any type interact normally with ability damage and drain.

e.g. you have 16 int and +5 inherent bonus for int of 21. enemies blast you with a bunch of rays of stupidity, dealing 21 int damage to you and you pass out. your friends kill all the enemies and cast restoration on you. you're reset to 21 int as normal. the ability damage hasn't "removed" your inherent bonus any more than it would remove the bonus from a headband of intellect.

Troacctid
2019-07-15, 12:35 PM
Q 107: my Goliath with Monkey Grip was Enlarged. My "huge spiked chain" now "gargantuan spiked chain" in large goliath hands - what reach now i have? :smallfrown:
Addendum—powerful build and Monkey Grip don't stack. They both allow you to wield weapons one size larger than your actual size category, which is Medium.

Q 109

The rules for dismissing a spell state you must be "within range of the spell’s effect".

Does "range" in this context refer to the range at which the spell is cast (e.g long/touch/etc), or do you have to be within the area of effect/in touching distance?
The first one.

Q 110

Would the creature generated by the Sticks and Stones spell (Shining South p.49) be able to benefit from the feat effects if the caster had the Corpsecrafter line of feats?
Yes.

Q 110

Can an Inherent bonus to an attribute be reduced by Ability Damage or Ability Drain?
The bonus increases the score, the damage or drain reduces the score. Perform addition and subtraction appropriately.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-15, 03:52 PM
Q 112
If I have the Life Sight feat can I see the light emitted by an invisible creature?

Venger
2019-07-15, 04:02 PM
A112 Assuming you mean libris mortis's lifesense, yes. (If not, please tell me where life sight is from, I'm not familiar with it)

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-15, 04:06 PM
A 122 Con't
Lifesense is correct. My character has scent, blindsense, and lifesense, dark vision, and low-light vision. Eventually they start blending into your head into one strange super sense.

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 12:06 AM
Q 113

Bit of a broad question, but...is there anything that gives blanket immunity, or partial resistance, against the Conjuration school of spells?

...if its too broad of a question, I'll start a thread.

Venger
2019-07-17, 12:08 AM
A113 No. I would certainly like to explore that further in a thread, though.

Troacctid
2019-07-17, 12:09 AM
Q 113

Bit of a broad question, but...is there anything that gives blanket immunity, or partial resistance, against the Conjuration school of spells?

...if its too broad of a question, I'll start a thread.
Sure. Otiluke's suppressing field comes to mind.

Brutter
2019-07-17, 12:58 AM
Q 114
Does Alter Self stack with size buffs? Size buffs don't stack, but Alter Self merely "assumes the form" of a creature within one size category of your "normal" size. So if you had a permanent bonus increasing your size to Large, could you then Alter Self into a Huge creature?

Venger
2019-07-17, 01:00 AM
A114 Yes, those would stack.

Khedrac
2019-07-17, 03:35 AM
A 114 contention
I believe it would depend on the nature of the permanent size buff.

If you have a permanent enlarge person effect then your normal size remains whatever it is without the size increase - but the size increase effect will need to be adjudicated for the new form.
If you manage to find a compatible form that is large, and use alter self to take its form the enlarge person effect then needs to be evaluated for your current form. If you current form is a viable target for enlarge person then you become one size larger, if not then the enlarge person effect persists having no effect until the alter self runs out, at whcih point it is rechecked against your normal form and then enlarges you again.

Precise results depend on the type of enlargement effect in play.

Note: a permanent buff is one that can potentially be dispelled or ended, an inherent or instantaneous one changes your base size "for good". If the effect can be removed it is not classified as your "normal" state.

Blue Jay
2019-07-17, 07:28 AM
A 114 Continuation

I agree with Khedrac in principle, but also would point out that alter self is type-limited, so if your natural form qualifies for enlarge person (i.e., your natural form is of the humanoid type), then any form you take with alter self should also qualify (because it should also be humanoid).

Venger
2019-07-17, 09:39 AM
A114 Correction Alter self is not an effect that changes size. It changes shape entirely. If a (medium) human uses alter self to turn into an asp naga (large) then alter self, permanent or not, makes him huge.

Hish
2019-07-18, 05:43 PM
Q115

When determining NPC wealth, do you include racial hit dice or just class levels?

Thurbane
2019-07-18, 06:08 PM
A 115

My understanding is that if you are calculating NPC wealth, it looks at their ECL - which includes class levels, RHD and LA.

Obviously, if it is a monster encounter, you refer to CR for treasure, rather than ECL.

Venger
2019-07-19, 02:56 AM
Q116 How does "passes through" function in the silence spell?

e.g. I am standing in a hallway less than 20 feet wide. if, way down the hall, there are some enemies, but a 20 foot lump of silence lies between us that neither they nor I am in, can I hear them or not? does the sound they make not travel "through" the silence, or does that clause mean something else? if so, what?

MisterKaws
2019-07-19, 07:29 AM
A116

If the bubble of silence extends all the way to walls and ceiling, it would mean sound doesn't pass through the air in that area. The walls block Line of Effect, thus sound passes through them normally. Anyone attempting a Listen check would suffer the normal penalties for listening through walls.

pabelfly
2019-07-19, 08:27 AM
Q117

The Psionic class Ardent selects powers based on their character's level, ie, if they are level 3, they can select a power from one of their mantles that they have selected that costs 3 power points or less to manifest. Does this mean that the Ardent is capable of manifesting a 3rd-level power at level 3?

MisterKaws
2019-07-19, 10:12 AM
A117

Third-level powers cost five points, so no.

ayvango
2019-07-19, 07:59 PM
Q118

What kind of damage do bronzewood dagger with the Brambles spell applied deal? Slashing+Piercing+Bludgeoning or just Piercing+Bludgeoning?

MisterKaws
2019-07-19, 08:58 PM
A118

By RAW, it would only deal Piercing and Bludgeoning damage. By RAI, it might differ, though. The spell was never made having ironwood or bronzewood in mind.

St Fan
2019-07-20, 07:09 AM
Q 119

The rules (on the Magic Overview > Spell Descriptions > Saving Throw section) specify that with targeted spells, the caster know his spell has failed if the target makes a successful saving throw.

A) I was under the impression that, still in case of targeted spells, the caster can't know WHY the spell has failed -- whether the target is improper (a humanoid-only spell on a human-looking aberration or undead, for example), because of spell resistance, because of an immunity, or because of a successful saving throw. Am I right? I can't find any more where that was stated, can someone point it for me?

B)If the above is indeed correct, is there a way (divination spell, class feature, etc.) for a caster to know exactly why a spell has failed, for an obvious tactical advantage?

MisterKaws
2019-07-20, 07:39 AM
A119

A)The DM has no obligation to give more information than "your spell dissipates with no effect", although they certainly could.

B)Knowledge can give you a general outline of the creature. For a more in-depth appraisal, Know Vulnerabilities from Spell Compendium gives you details on all immunities, resistances and weaknesses, but does not tell you the creature's type. For that, I think Knowledge is the best way. The Sorcerer's Magical Affinity (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) can identify a single creature's type even while said creature is shape-shifted into something else.

unseenmage
2019-07-21, 07:00 AM
Q120
A dust storm worth of colossal objects magically shrunk to smaller than fine size and enclosed in a force effect large enough for only several colossal creatures.

They're all suddenly antimagic ed and return to full size. The only remaining magic effect is the force enclosure. Even the antimagic is Ex. What happens?

PS there's a creature inside. What happens to them?

EDIT Made a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24044370&postcount=1) in case this is too non RAW a situation for here.

Troacctid
2019-07-21, 12:15 PM
Q120
A dust storm worth of colossal objects magically shrunk to smaller than fine size and enclosed in a force effect large enough for only several colossal creatures.

They're all suddenly antimagic ed and return to full size. The only remaining magic effect is the force enclosure. Even the antimagic is Ex. What happens?

PS there's a creature inside. What happens to them?

EDIT Made a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24044370&postcount=1) in case this is too non RAW a situation for here.
It depends on the effect that shrank them. Refer to the text of the spell in question.

St Fan
2019-07-21, 04:55 PM
Q 121

I cannot find the vital statistics (Age, Height and Weight) of Changelings or other races introduced in Races of Eberron. Are they stated anywhere?

Thurbane
2019-07-21, 05:02 PM
Q 121

I cannot find the vital statistics (Age, Height and Weight) of Changelings or other races introduced in Races of Eberron. Are they stated anywhere?

A 121

Height, weight and age stats for Changelings and the other races detailed in Races of Eberron can be found in the Eberron Campaign Setting book, page 27.

Blue Jay
2019-07-21, 06:50 PM
Q 122

Can you put a dorje in a wand chamber? Or, is there such a thing as a "dorje chamber"?

Venger
2019-07-21, 08:19 PM
A122 Transparency. Yes you can.

Thurbane
2019-07-21, 08:45 PM
Q 123

Would a Lich or Vampire destroyed by a greater turning attempt (Sun domain power) be permanently destroyed, or would it return to its phylactery/coffin to reform?

Blue Jay
2019-07-21, 08:49 PM
A122 Transparency. Yes you can.

A 122 Redirect

I like that answer, and I would probably rule that way myself; but I think it is a fairly liberal interpretation of transparency, and I'm not entirely convinced that it's supported by RAW. Is there an actual line I missed somewhere that says that transparency allows item interchangeability?