PDA

View Full Version : Grunge appreciation thread

zeratul
2007-10-04, 06:57 PM
Ah grunge, heavy distortion, long hair, and flannel, what's not to like? Here we can discuss the greats such as Nirvana, Mudhoney, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam. Any other grunge fans out ITP?

Discuss oh unwashed ones! (:smalltongue: )

FdL
2007-10-05, 07:32 AM
I enjoy grunge insofar it's just a label given to artists inspired part of american alternative rock of early-mid nineties. That's saying I don't believe there's a true grunge genre.
I mean, those artists you listed don't have thaaat much in common except for a distorted guitar sound and coming from Seattle. Then again there were other great distorted guitar bands in Seattle who weren't tagged as grunge (one was the legendary Fastbacks who everyone should check out).

See, comparing the two most well known bands, Nirvana and Pearl Jam, the only thing they have in common is the punk influence (through american 80's hardcore punk as a major influence for the first wave of "alternative" bands like Hüsker Dü, The Replacements, Meat Puppets, Dinousaur Jr., Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc).

Today's "grunge" acts are either straight copies of the main bands (like The Vines, basically a kid impersonating Cobain) or mix it up with a slight post nu-metal aesthetic (ie, black clothes, tighter distortions & slicker, more commercial productions).

Well, as you can tell I'm more interested in the roots to this than to the followers of the aesthetic. Thus not really into "grunge".

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge) is a fairly good article in wikipedia.

Edit: Also, I shower regularly.

Amotis
2007-10-05, 10:05 AM
Zombie wears plaid. *snicker* :smallamused:

zeratul
2007-10-08, 11:38 AM
Ah yes but your forgetting one thing FDL, they all wore flannel.:smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2007-10-08, 11:55 AM
Nirvana is always good. Just stay away from Nu-metal. [shudder]

BTW, what do you call a nu-metal fan? (Other than a complete idiot?)

ZombieRockStar
2007-10-08, 07:53 PM
Zombie wears plaid. *snicker* :smallamused:

And the ripped jeans. Don't forget those. :smalltongue:

Pyro
2007-10-08, 08:04 PM
The only "grunge" band that I've really ever listened to is Nirvana. So I'm not really a grunge fan but more of a Nirvana one. I'll probably end up getting lost as everyone else discusses bands I've never heard of.:smallfrown:

Sotextli
2007-10-09, 09:13 PM
Most of my favorite bands are Grunge bands, so I guess I count as a grunge fan.

Heck, who am I kidding? I bleed flannel.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-09, 09:34 PM
I pretty much agree with FdL.

i like the bands considered grunge, but they really dont have much of a common connector. Still good music though.

ElfLad
2007-10-10, 12:39 AM
I've rather recently gotten into Nirvana, and I'd just like to say that All Apologies, You Know You're Right, and Lounge Act are some of the greatest songs ever.

zeratul
2007-10-10, 03:36 PM
I've rather recently gotten into Nirvana, and I'd just like to say that All Apologies, You Know You're Right, and Lounge Act are some of the greatest songs ever.

You my friend have good taste, those are three of my favourite nirvana songs.

Hawriel
2007-10-10, 06:43 PM
I can probably point out a grunge song if I hear it. Other than that not much intrest. I have always assosiated grunge with rich kids who dressed in dirty ratty clothing to look poor and be cool. Any one els I new who wore flanel Tshirts and jeans well, always did and where quite shagrined when all the rich kids who made fun of them for it now wore it to be cool and grunge as addults.

zeratul
2007-10-10, 07:09 PM
Isn't beeing grunge kind of the opposite of being cool? I mean being a poser is one thing but I find it a little odd that people would be grunge to be popular...

Semidi
2007-10-10, 07:32 PM
Isn't beeing grunge kind of the opposite of being cool? I mean being a poser is one thing but I find it a little odd that people would be grunge to be popular...

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But no, welcome to the Hot Topic generation, pick up your pre-torn jeans and Nirvana shirt on the left.

To add to the discussion:

I love Alice in Chains and to a lesser extent Candlebox.

Amotis
2007-10-10, 07:40 PM
I love Alice in Chains and to a lesser extent Candlebox.

Good choices, my favorites from the movement as well.

ElfLad
2007-10-10, 07:41 PM
Isn't being grunge kind of the opposite of being cool?

Ask the most popular band since the Beatles.

Then again, grunge hasn't really been all the rage since the early 90s.

zeratul
2007-10-10, 07:43 PM
You'd think so, wouldn't you? But no, welcome to the Hot Topic generation, pick up your pre-torn jeans and Nirvana shirt on the left.

Yeah that whole thing really annoys me, when I see posers with nirvana tee's and fashion ripped jeans, it just makes me want to beat the crap outta them.

But there are cool non-posers who go to hot topic.