PDA

View Full Version : The Sanctum

Rebonack
2007-10-04, 07:05 PM
Near the Town library there is a lot.

An empty lot.

Why this lot has remained empty for so long isn't particularly clear, but it is.

There's nothing spectacular about this lot. It has tall grass when it isn't covered in snow. The sort that one would expect children to be playing in if not for the fact that the Town is an inherently dangerous place and no one in their right mind would let their kids run around having fun. Oh no, they would be at home learning epic spells by age six as well as the fine art of killing ninjas armed only with a spoon.

If one were to step out into the field nothing would happen. Except if they have pollen allergies, then their eyes would swell up and stuff.

If one knows that there happens to be a building here and aren't hostile then they will suddenly find themselves with the knowledge of how to get inside. And as soon as they do as they feel they must do inside they will be.

Once the one simply will one's self to be inside they will find a perfectly circular room twenty meters across. It is well lit inside, though no obvious light-source is evident. The walls have a dull silver sheen to them, like polished, brushed nickel in appearance. One will find something rather odd, here as well. Magical law doesn't exist in this place. If you want somewhere protected from magic you can't get more protected than this.

The whole room has a peculiar smell of metal and fired clay and a trace of something alive, though it's very faint. There is a huge metal crate still settled off to one side of the room and a tall, rounded arch-shaped object is set against the opposite wall. Boru the wolf-hound's bed sits next to the arched object which is apparently a closet of some kind.

This is apparent if someone approaches it. The face of it slides out, revealing a metal pole upon which are hanging a number of outfits similar to whatever the guest happens to be clad in at the moment.

Also of note is a bed on the opposite side of the closet. A large cylindrical object is set against the wall in another patch of free space. From the smell of warm water inside it is apparently a shower. Finally, there's a desk sitting near the center of the room. The top of it is strewn will all manner of odd looking flat objects. Probably electronic note books.

This is that strange place that's here but not now where in Regiji can be found when he isn't making an idiot of himself or convincing the Probe to stop talking at Trog's.

When visiting, additional doors will branch off the main room, leading to other chambers pretty much identical to the first one. Without the wolf hound of course.

In the middle of the room is an odd white sigil (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/Ironack/Power_Symbol-1.jpg) that seems to glow with muted white radiance. This is, in fact, the access point to the Chamber of the Oracle, a shrine to the entity Regiji worships. Access to this place is usually barred when visitors are concerned.

Rebonack
2007-10-06, 11:10 PM
Sal shifts into the main chamber, which other than herself and Boru is currently empty.

The woman begins to provide the hound with a bit of attention. And food. And fresh water. The works.

Regiji doesn't appear to be home at the moment.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-10-06, 11:43 PM
TB, carrying the young girl named Sorry, appears in the Sanctum. He lays Sorry down in a bed in a room that just materialized and goes off to his own room where he deadtimes.

Rebonack
2007-10-07, 12:08 AM
Well, since crystallize has a duration of permanent Sorry returns to flesh and bone the moment she's taken into the Sanctum.

However, every ability that she has that's even remotely supernatural will be pretty much useless here. And should she try to attack someone she'll be back in the empty lot in short order.

Rebonack
2007-10-07, 02:39 PM
((Lawl, double post.))

At some point during the day Regiji suddenly begins to be in the central chamber, already clad in his 'normal' attire and ready for another day of... well... pretty much keeping an eye out for anything that would be useful.

"Come on Boru. Let's see what's going on over at the tavern."

"Nice there. It's warm," the wolf hound comments as he stretches and rises to his feet.

"No kidding," Regiji responds with a grin.

And then they're both gone. Surely the Laws of Probability having a migraine is utterly unrelated.

Rebonack
2007-10-08, 12:35 AM
((Triple post? This is blasphemy! This is madness!))

Regiji and Boru materialize within the sanctum. The hound heads off to sleep while Regiji does much the same.

Though first he retreats into the chapel to commune with the Oracle of the Shepherds.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-10-19, 05:41 PM
TB awakens and pops out of the Sanctum.

To save his player a post, once out of the Sanctum he walks down the streets and into Trog's.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 07:05 PM
Sorry slowly returns to conciousness and looks around.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 07:15 PM
She will find herself in a comfortable bed in a comfortably warm room which is currently lit to a comfortable level.

In all, the conditions are very agreeable. As a matter of fact, they would be very agreeable regardless of who happens to be in the chamber at the time. The shower is still set to one side of the room. The closet containing several copies of Sorry's current attire will be found on the opposite side.

Not the opposite wall, since the room is circular.

And for the time being she is alone.

There's no voice. No urge.

How nice.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 07:22 PM
Sorry will examine the room, then attempts to locate the door. And a weapon.

She notes that the presence is gone, but that doesn't mean it's lessons are too. Better to be prepared than dead.

She feels the urge to explore this place a little more.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 07:39 PM
Finding the door is pretty easy.

It's directly opposite the bed.

The passage is seamlessly incorporated into the dull nickel finish that cover the better part of the walls. Despite the apparent lack of any way of determining that the door is a door Sorry will find that she already know how to get out of the room.

Even out of the building she's currently in.

She may find a weapon. If she had one on her person then it will still be there. If not then it won't. There doesn't appear to be anything overtly lethal sitting around.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 07:42 PM
The the knife she had in her hand upon being frozen should still ber there. SHe'll tuck that away, easy to access, but out of sight.

She'll leave the room and look about the building. Wondering slightly at how she knew how to get out.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 07:45 PM
For whatever reason that particular line of thought isn't answered.

The next chamber Sorry will find herself in is much like the room she just exited. Except this particular room has a table in the middle of it. Seated at this table is Regiji, who is currently going over some utterly uninteresting repots on resource quotas.

Boru the wolf hound is currently laying on the floor next to the Scout's feet.

Regiji glances over at the girl and grins in his usual congenial way.

"Finally up? You certainly slept for a long time."

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 07:51 PM
I... Where am I?

Truth be told, she's slept soo long that her player doesn't exactly remember the events leading up to this point, but he'd never admit to that.

She looks at Regiji, apraising him as a possible threat, and for once doesn't hear that little voice say "kill"

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 08:00 PM
Regiji doesn't look particularly threatening.

He's currently clad in his Flock uniform rather than his usual civilian clothing. It's well trimmed, rather Spartan, and charcoal grey in color. A dull white holy symbol can be seen on his right shoulder and a number of things which probably represent his rank and station on the left.

He's also utterly unarmed.

"You're in my home. You were brought here after be incapacitated in a fight at Trog's."

The general ambiance of serenity that seems to permeate the whole complex fails utterly to abate at this point.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 08:06 PM
This is a funny place, it feels odd here.

Sorry relaxes a little. That hasn't happened in a long time.

I like your puppy.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 08:12 PM
"Yeah, I get that quite a bit. These place is under the influence of the Shepherds. The way things work here is a bit different when compared to the Nexus outside. Then there's the whole spiritual purity thing," The Scout adds, waving one hand dismissively.

"You smell like blood," Boru observes.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 08:17 PM
You smell like dog breath., Sorry laughs in return.

She then looks back up to Regiji, Oh. It should be noted that she no longer has anyone to translate things from adult language for her.

Well it's nice, once you get used to it.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 08:21 PM
"Touché," Regiji comments, accompanied with that goofy grin of his.

Boru just looks at him funny. "That's how I smell?"

"Eerr... I'll explain later."

The Scout then stretches a bit, leaving the boring paper-work to be done at some undefined point in the future.

"I like it here. Isn't as frantic out in the Town. I would imagine it must be different for you, too. Since you can't hear that assassin god here."

He quirks one eyebrow.

"Right?"

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 08:29 PM
Right. Who? The bad man is gone if that's who you mean... but I know how to do things I really shouldn't know.

She looks down at her hands. And her eyes grow large.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 08:34 PM
"Yeah. The loopy priest fellow," Regiji responds with a nod. "And... well... as for knowing how to do... things. That's something you really can't forget."

"Taking the life of another isn't something that should ever be done lightly. To take away all that they have and all that they will ever have..."

For a moment the Scout is uncharacteristically somber in his expression.

"But you're free here, right? You can choose what you want to do now."

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 08:44 PM
I think I want to wash my hands... alot.

She holds them out as if they were something vile.

Where do you think he is now? Don't let him get me.

She doesn't seem fightened, sad or even angry. Disgusted at her hands, but otherwise at relative peice with the situation.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 08:51 PM
Regiji points at the shower.

The shower that's currently a sink.

Hmm... That's pretty tricky.

"You can wash your hands there. Just hold them under that metal nozzle and it'll produce warm water."

"Where he is? Well..." the Scout thinks for a moment, trying to come up with a reasonably simple explanation. "He was following you. But he couldn't follow you here. I would imagine he's waiting for you to go somewhere he can find you."

A short pause.

"I could probably have one of my siblings build you something that will make it hard for the Bad Man to find you."

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 08:59 PM
I like your magic it's neat.

Sorry says as she goes and washes her hands.

I think I will stay here for now. Plus your puppy is furry and I havn't petted it yet.

She grins, and continues to scrub with no sign of stopping anytime soon.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 09:14 PM
Then it's probably good that the warm water isn't showing any sign of running out soon.

"I suppose it is, isn't it?" Regiji muses. He doesn't appear to have any intention of correcting her. The technology his people use is certainly advanced enough to replicate most any 'magical' effect one might want to re-create. "You're welcome to stay here as long as you need to. This place is a sanctuary to anyone who needs it."

"I like my ear scratched," Boru speaks up, his tail begging to wag.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 09:19 PM
With one last exagerated splash of water, Sorry remover her hands from the water and places them - still sopping wet - behind the wolfhound's ears, where she starts scratching.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 09:24 PM
"That's good," the hound comments as he leans into the scratching.

Regiji smiles. He appears to be glad that Sorry isn't killing people at random.

Or is she?

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 09:29 PM
Sorry is far too pre-occupied to be killing people.

Dog petting is hard work.

Thanks mister. Do you mind if I look around?

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 09:35 PM
"You can feel free. But this place isn't very large. At least not yet. I really haven't had much of a need to," Regiji shrugs. "I'm usually only here when I'm not working in Town."

Boru continues to enjoy the rubbin'.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 09:41 PM
Sorry smiles.

Thank you. Um... Mister...? I havn't asked who you are yet.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 09:47 PM
"I'm Regiji. No last name, just Regiji. Like Madonna except without the awful music," the Scout replies. "And you're Sorry, right?"

More hound enjoying rubbing continues.

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 09:51 PM
I am? That's funny.. Sorry isn't a name.

She stops petting.

Is it?

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 09:57 PM
At this the Scout quirks an eyebrow.

Again.

"I suppose it isn't. What is your name then?"

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 10:03 PM
It's... well it would be...

She seems to be at a loss.

I don't think I have one.

Rebonack
2007-10-19, 10:11 PM
The Scout crosses his arms at this.

"Well, that won't do. Will it?"

He then provides her with another one of those friendly smiles.

"In my Family people choose their own name. How about you pick one for yourself?"

Osnagard
2007-10-19, 10:50 PM
But what could I choose, I don't want to pick a name. Do I have to have one?

She sits down grumpily

Fine, call me Steph.

She then falls into a deep deadtime sleep.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 01:09 PM
Come morning Sorry, or Steph, will find herself back in the same chamber she had awoke in.

A table will now grace the middle of the room. A table set for one. Oddly enough, she will find it to be precisely what she would expect of an excellent breakfast. Strange the way that works here.

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 08:55 PM
Sorry awakens to find a giant stack of pancakes, loads of bacon and hashbrowns. All of which are covered in a generous helping of maple syrup.

She begins eating.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 09:04 PM
The food is, without a doubt, at least as good as Steph could hope it to be. Perhaps better.

The general feeling of sanctity and calm continues to preside in the whole chamber.

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 09:11 PM
Steph finnishes eating. Being quite full she decides to do something fairly drastic.

She looks for a mirror. Presumambly around where the sink/shower area is. She has her knife in her hand.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 09:24 PM
There is indeed a mirror by the sink.

It should be noted that there wasn't a mirror there before.

Almost as though the room itself were responding to what she needs. How nice.

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 09:28 PM
Steph is certainly confused at how things just seem to appear. Confused enough for her to pause a moment to think about it.

Then her resolve returns.

She walks up to the mirror and her knife hand flashes up towards her head. She cries out, and then slashes again, and again, and again....

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 09:48 PM
It won't be very hard for Sorry to stab herself repeatedly. Nothing attempts to stop her at least.

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 09:54 PM
Sorry walks back to the breakfast table and resumes eating. There is certainly no blood anywhere, but the sink may be clogged with hair now.

Instead of having long hair to her waist it is now bristle-short, except for in the front which she left untouched.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 10:03 PM
That would certainly hurt less than being stabbed in the face.

And who knows? It might allow this Sorry to be distinguished from the other one.

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 10:11 PM
Maybe, or maybe now she fits my image of Steph better. And indeed, hairuts are rarely more painfull than being stabbed, though they can be just as shocking if you've never had it cut before.

Now I just need a change of clothes., She regards the baggy long sleaved shirt and servicable pants. Perfect for an assasin, not so great for a little girl.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 10:22 PM
Well, there's that dresser. Right now it's closed and its contents are in a state of quantum uncertainty. As soon as she opens it she will find what she wanted to find. Nifty the way that works.

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 10:26 PM
Steph rummages around in the closet and finds what she's looking for.

after a few moments where she gets dressed, she appears in a plaid mini-skirt with blue jeans underneith. and a white t-shirt with a black tank-top over it.

Much better.

Se does a little spin before leaving the room again.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 10:30 PM
This time around Steph will find Regiji's room empty. Even the hound is absent.

Like he mentioned before, he's usually only here when he isn't busy working out in the Town. There is, however, something still here.

It's a floating cube.

A soft cyan light emanates from one face of the machine.

"Good evening miss. Might I be of service?"

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 10:34 PM
Steph just sort of stares. At the cube. She wasn't expecting that, as the blank look on her face clearly states.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 10:46 PM
"I'm sorry, miss," the cube says in a somewhat apologetic tone. "My sudden appearance must be troubling. I tend to this Sanctum when master Regiji is away."

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 10:50 PM
Oh. Okay then. I was going to look around some more.

She smiles, hopeing she hadn't hurt it's feelings.

Rebonack
2007-10-20, 11:05 PM
Good thing that 'creatures' with a non-ability score on Int don't have feelings.

"Of course miss. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am the Doorman."

Osnagard
2007-10-20, 11:08 PM
She will spend the next few hours exploring, then go back to her room and deadtime.

Rebonack
2007-10-21, 03:20 PM
Morning, as before, will come in much the same fashion.

As Steph awakes the lights will brighten and breakfast will be waiting.

Along with the food is a necklace with the same odd white symbol that can be found around the complex. That same odd white symbol that glows with its own muted radiance.

Osnagard
2007-10-21, 03:51 PM
Steph awakens to the same breakfast as teh morning before. But it is the necklce which imedaiatly draws her attention.

What's this? She picks it up to examine it more closely.

Rebonack
2007-10-21, 04:04 PM
Steph will find that the pendant has that same feeling of sanctity that the whole building has. As though this little trinket somehow carries that protection and peace with it.

Even out into that scary world beyond the walls.

She will feel an odd closeness upon picking it up. Not like the pressing, dominating presence of the priest. But rather the feeling one gets when one knows that there is, without a doubt, someone close by who will catch you should you stumble. To pick you up if you fall. To comfort you if you morn.

To watch over you no matter where you wander.

Osnagard
2007-10-21, 04:09 PM
Steph puts the necklace on and upon being placed around her neck a portion of her god-given strength returns to her. Not as much as before of course, and from a much friendlier place. She also knows that magic will no longer have an effect on here, for good or ill.

She walks out of the room to thank Regiji or the cube, whichever happens to be there, for the gift.

Rebonack
2007-10-21, 04:24 PM
Regiji, once again, is absent.

Though the Doorman is there waiting.

"Greetings, miss. How might I be of service?"

Osnagard
2007-10-21, 04:26 PM
Hello shiny floating cube, I wanted to say thanks for the necklace.

She holds it up.

It's very nice, and it feels like this place.

Rebonack
2007-10-21, 05:06 PM
"It carries with it the influence of the Shepherds. It is They who watch over and sanctify this place. And though that object They will watch over you as well."

Mister Shiny Floaty Cube replies.

"You needn't fear leaving this place while under its protection."

Osnagard
2007-10-21, 06:39 PM
Oh... I thank you soo much.

Steph is overjoyed, I have to go make things better with everyone else.

She runs out to the streets.