PDA

View Full Version : Dark Omen Sorcerer

sleepyhead
2019-05-16, 10:47 AM
Dark Omen Sorcerer

You are a dark omen, you bring death and misfortune to those around you.

Dark Omen
Your curse seems to spread making it harder for other people to land hits. With this seemingly contagious aspect your able to make it easier to deal extra damage.

You learn the cantrips Blade Ward and Vicious Mockery. If you already know one of these cantrips, you learn a different sorcerer cantrip of your choice. The cantrips doesn't count against your number of cantrips known.

Starting at 3rd level you learn the spell Hex, which doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition, you can cast it by spending 2 sorcery points or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points, you can cast without requiring concentration.

Powerful Hex
Your curse is far more effective then what others would be able to replicate.
Starting at level 6 whenever you cast Hex on a creature you can spend sorcerer points for an additional affect from the following list. You can stack multiple affects with one hex.
2 Sorcerer points- Hex effects an additional creature and split duration time.
2 Sorcerer Points- You can change the damage type of additional damage granted from the Hex spell.
2 Sorcerer Points - Target makes a Wisdom save if it fails it becomes charmed for duration of the Hex or until attacked

Protection from Curses
Living with a curse for so long comes with its benefits.
Starting at level 14 you can’t be mind read unless you allow it. You gain advantage on mind affecting and polymorphing saves.

Masterful Hex
You can choose one affect from the Powerful Hex feature any time you cast Hex for free.

So probably not balanced but I thought this would be pretty neat. Got idea from Man_Over_Game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23901175&postcount=21)'s suggestion on the Sorcerer's Origins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?587217-What-Sorcererous-Origins-Would-You-Like-to-See) thread.
So yeah fluff in the works, balance tips would be nice, and maybe additional Powerful Hex affects?

sleepyhead
2019-05-23, 11:23 AM
Anyone got input on this? Is it just overpowered? Boring?

Garfunion
2019-05-23, 11:39 AM
Dark Omen Sorcerer

You are a dark omen, you bring death and misfortune to those around you.

Dark Omen
Your curse seems to spread making it harder for other people to land hits. With this seemingly contagious aspect your able to make it easier to deal extra damage.

You learn the cantrips Blade Ward and Vicious Mockery. If you already know one of these cantrips, you learn a different sorcerer cantrip of your choice. The cantrips doesn't count against your number of cantrips known.
I don’t think blade ward fits well, I would suggest Thaumaturgy instead.

Starting at 3rd level you learn the spell Hex, which doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition, you can cast it by spending 2 sorcery points or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points, you can cast without requiring concentration.

I would drop the “Starting at 3rd level“. You should be able to cast Hex at first level, the sorcerer points feature will come online at 2nd level without having to say anything.
I would also say “if you cast Hex while a current Hex is active, the previous Hex is dispelled.

The other features seem wonky. Maybe at 6th level give the sorcerer the Bestow Curse spell.

Garfunion
2019-05-23, 12:10 PM
The more I think about trying to create a “Hex-er” Bloodline, the more I realize it will be very hard to make it unique. One level of Hexblade Warlock and the rest Divine Soul Sorcerer, covers everything you would need.