PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Divine Soul Sorcerer + life cleric, should I take 3 levels of celestial warlock ?

Earthen where
2019-05-16, 02:03 PM
Hey guys, So.... I have spent many hours trying to decide on the old sorcerer vs sorlock.
Currently I'm Divine soul sorcerer 1 / life cleric 1. 18cha 14dexwiscon
I am the main healer of 1 barb, 1 pally, 1 monk group.
Celestial pack warlock works with character 'story'. I currently see 3 levels of warlock (levels 5 to 8) as giving me:

Eldritch blast + Agonizing blast for good at will blasting and good nova with quickend.
4 sorcerer points from warlock spell conversion a short rest (sorcerer points near doubled) {which is sorcerer capstone!}
+4 cantrips or +7 if tomelock.... Psuedodragon familiar if chainlock = magic resistance! (edit- no magic resistance from find familar spell :(
Healing Light = A pool of d6 healing die (4 die) (bonus action healing, like nearly 4 free 'healing words' no life cleric bonus though)
Flaming sphere (crap) and lessor restoration (maybe essential!) added to spell list.

VS

3+1 (+1 from life cleric 1) so 4 levels of delay sorcerer spell progression (massive).

So I am not concerned about losing 9th level spells as we might not even get there.
The way I play: I want to use spiritual weapon as bonus action, and blast or dodge.
To twin haste barb and pally against strong foes and use Spirit Guardians against many foes.
I will probably end up twin healing also. I want to use suggestion then Hypnotic pattern.

I mean, imagine using grasp of hadar to drag enemies into your spirit guardians!

Also many utility/control spells are 2nd and 3rd so you can still do a lot with them in levels 5 to 8 ,then back on the sorc path.

But! Twin polymorph and twin greater invisibility 3 levels late
Then Animate objects, synaptic static etc late. Although remembering twin Polymorph uses 5 out of 7 sorcerer points (long rest)

So what do you all recon, I am the wizard and the Cleric! With the smallest spell list around (sorcerer). I need to be healing and control and buff and would like at will damage. Will 3 levels make my job easier or stick to sorcerer?

Keravath
2019-05-16, 02:20 PM
I can see it going either way. You might want to take just a couple levels of warlock to start with and take the third later.

Agonizing Eldritch blast is good at will damage that doesn't interfere with your concentration or use spell slots. Combined with quickened it does very good damage at the expense of sorcery points.

The healing light ability from celestial warlock is not affected by the Life cleric disciple of life feature since the healing is not from a spell of 1st level or higher.

In addition, you do not receive magic resistance from the warlock familiars summoned by the find familiar spell. There are entries for these familiars in the players handbook and they do not have the same abilities as the creatures in the monster manual. If an actual monster becomes a familiar by making some sort of deal or bargain with the character then the monster familiar has different abilities than the familiars conjured by the find familiar spell. So ... I wouldn't take levels of celestial warlock with the intention being to get magic resistance from the familiar.

Quoz
2019-05-17, 02:20 AM
You're already split far enough, but if you're looking to be a healer and already want a familiar, finding a way to get goodberry on your spell list adds a whole lot. Just cast before a long rest (or short with warlock slots if you don't need the sorcery points) and give to your familiar to deliver to downed allies. 10 action-free heals sounds like a pretty good deal for a first level spell that you can cast the day before. If you work with lots of downtime, use with extend spell and a full day's worth of spell slots before setting out on a dungeon crawl and bank a few hundred HP for the next 48 hours.

Arkhios
2019-05-17, 04:47 AM
What is it you hope to accomplish with the celestial warlock levels?

Earthen where
2019-05-17, 05:13 AM
You're already split far enough, but if you're looking to be a healer and already want a familiar, finding a way to get goodberry on your spell list adds a whole lot. Just cast before a long rest (or short with warlock slots if you don't need the sorcery points) and give to your familiar to deliver to downed allies. 10 action-free heals sounds like a pretty good deal for a first level spell that you can cast the day before. If you work with lots of downtime, use with extend spell and a full day's worth of spell slots before setting out on a dungeon crawl and bank a few hundred HP for the next 48 hours.

Would need to split further to druid for goodberry and magic initiate is one cast per Long Rest. Familiar would be nice, but by no means essential.

Earthen where
2019-05-17, 05:59 AM
What is it you hope to accomplish with the celestial warlock levels?

Sorcerer capstone at level 9! So more sorcerer points. Like at level 9 with 3 short rests that's 21sp vs 9sp. I would like to twin haste most battles and other stuff. You know actually be a sorcerer instead of a limited spell wizard. I think that the current number of SP is way insufficient. Like a level 7 sorc can twin haste once and quicken twice in a whole day. But that's not what I want to talk about.

I'm the main healer, the buffer and controller, the face and I wouldn't mind to do damage too. Extra SP, the 4 d6 healing die, extra cantrips, pact boon help with all that.

But I have no experience with spells above 3rd level, I've never played past level 5, so I don't know how much more fun and powerful high level spells are. But I know that I could twin cure wounds more often than mass cure wounds. And in the end its only 3 levels of delay.

But I care more about being effective than either choice.