PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #299 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-04-01, 12:34 AM
New comic is up.

Kishi
2006-04-01, 12:35 AM
Nice to see a return to the other viewpoints!

Winged One
2006-04-01, 12:36 AM
Perfect! Stupid CitD...I know how those hobgoblins feel...

EDIT: hey, first page.

Eternal-Darthness
2006-04-01, 12:37 AM
So, so clueless.

And I loved the literary red demon cockroaches.

Tomada
2006-04-01, 12:37 AM
Yo! Hobgoblins and the thing in the dark!

Man, every time I see the thing in the dark I think it will get along well with Elan...

LostOne
2006-04-01, 12:38 AM
Great to get back the hob-gobin army. Poor crature in the shadows. He needs to get employed and badly. Still, where is the nefarious Xykon himself? :P

Aemirai
2006-04-01, 12:39 AM
Poor CitD, he's kind of like my Eberron bard. "Hey, guys, I can help, really! As long as we're fighting humanoids anyway..."

Zangor
Yeah, too bad there was nothing for him to do...

Kahlan
This totally reminds me of a halfling in my game who always complains that he is useless and can't contribute and accuses people of not allowing him to contribute... but when he has the chance, he vanishes off somewhere else and isn't around when he's really needed :P

Good memories. Thanks Giant! :D

Single_Lupus
2006-04-01, 12:40 AM
Wow, his Spot check modifier must be abysmal.

Tawkis
Ahh Redcloack and the oblivious umbrella monster....

How I missed them, of course we can't see the LG because the giant must make us wait longer.... evil giant.

Cue the violins indeed.
*must resist temptation.........*

Fillbert
Awesome!!!!!

Woot 1st page!!!!

CitD is back... I thought I smelled nutmeg....

Charity322
2006-04-01, 12:42 AM
I like the creature in the darkness. ;D

Ok I'll admit it, I just posted to see if I could get on the first page. *hides*

starwoof
Huzzah for the return of Redcloak, one of the greatest characters of them all!

Deuce

And yet still, a bit better then Belkars . . .

The Giant
2006-04-01, 12:43 AM
The Voice of Mod: Posts that say nothing but "First page!" or "Woot!" or any combination of the two will be deleted as spam. Please wait until you have something to say before posting.

Annalia
2006-04-01, 12:43 AM
That was really good! Kinda feels strange after the mounting tensions but it's logical. I missed the CitD.

arkwei
2006-04-01, 12:46 AM
I am really, really sorry. :-[ Just bought On the Origin of PCs, and checked back and find out the comic was out, I was too excited. Will never do that again.

Haha, CitD is as clueless as Elan... or more clueless, sice Elan CAN actually find something to do...

The Giant
2006-04-01, 12:47 AM
Don't worry, you weren't the first or only person to do it. But we try to remind people not to.

SumGuy
2006-04-01, 12:53 AM
even more proof that we have more than one "Stupid, but Evil" character in the OotSiverse.

well done Giant, I'm happy to see us getting back to the bad guys.

...and away from the blueness of the Azure city ;D

Gralamin
2006-04-01, 12:56 AM
I still wonder what that creature is and wwither or not Redcloak knows what it is.

also what is a coda?

tomaO2
2006-04-01, 12:57 AM
Over at 8-Bit Theater they take a very hard line on those obsessed with being the first post. Anyone that makes the first reply to a comic thread that has nothing to say about said comic gets a 3 day ban, I believe. I saw that happen a few times.

"woot! First page" then the mod edits their post saying something like "don't make the mistake I did. Because I made a meaningless post just to be the first person to reply I am now banned for 3 days"

I think it's a better idea to temporarily ban the person and leave his post as a reminder then to delete the post where no one notices the reprimand.

Just a thought.

rosebud
2006-04-01, 12:59 AM
Hmm. I like the monster under the umbrella, but it does seem a bit forced. I am a bit curious why the demon cockroaches didn't have a sarcastic retort in any of the last three panels. I'm just hoping that the lack of the crucial role being performed will become crucial later. =)

I'm also curious if we'll get to see Kadrog the Slayer and Jim make a later appearance as zombie hobgoblins. :)

Out of curiosity, is the missing corner of Redcloak's cape torn (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=290), or is it just flapping in the wind? (It switches sides during the strip, which is why it seems to just be flapping, but it does look a bit strange.)

SumGuy
2006-04-01, 12:59 AM
I still wonder what that creature is and wwither or not Redcloak knows what it is.

also what is a coda?

A coda is a passage of music that is part of a larger piece that is used to transition to the end of said piece.

In the comic's context, the Demon Roaches are commenting that the end of the story arc is near.

/w00t music skillz!!

PhoeKun
2006-04-01, 01:02 AM

also what is a coda?

Viola! (http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50043006?single=1&query_type=word&queryword=coda&f irst=1&max_to_show=10)

And with that, all the loose ends are tied up just before comic #300. And for that, we owe Memphis and their total dedication to a complete lack of customer service.

Lousy simu-postin universe...

Jaxinator
2006-04-01, 01:03 AM
Heh. Good to see ol' Red Cloak and Secret Weapon back in the strip.

"Ther WERE especially chewy" heh

Bilbo27
2006-04-01, 01:04 AM
At last we get to see the hobgoblin hoard

Muhwahhhaaaaaa
evil laugh

Can't wait for 300!!!

yeah 2nd page

Xenon
2006-04-01, 01:06 AM
the evil red roaches amuse me with their evil antics :)

i want to see them hold a conversation with thog, i really do :D

Flak_Razorwill
2006-04-01, 01:16 AM
Hobgoblin eyes? Ah, well.

The shadow dude reminds me of another dumb, nameless croney who shall remain nameless.

Euphemism
2006-04-01, 01:18 AM
He just wants to be LOVED, is that so WRONG?

Godhand
2006-04-01, 01:29 AM
He just wants to be LOVED, is that so WRONG?

Apparantly, yes

Anyway, Redcloak makes his return. The straight man of evil. It's good to be bad.

metalphil
2006-04-01, 01:32 AM
Two things:
1. "I thought it was more of a coda."
2. "Well, they WERE especially chewy."

Hahahahahahaha. Oh man.

servetus
2006-04-01, 01:32 AM
Personally, I'm glad to be back to a light-hearted, self-contained strip. It feels like it's been a very long time since the last strip that wasn't primarily about plot. I've been enjoying the plot as much as anyone, but I wish the Giant had broken it up a bit more, to keep more of the flavor of the first few dozen strips.

The last strip that definitely could be considered a "gag" strip is way back at #259; one could make a weak case that #286 was relatively unnecessary to the plot. A number of strips have of course been primarily a joke that incidentally advanced the plot, but we seem to be emerging from a period in which most of the strips were primarily plot-driven with a few (quite amusing) jokes thrown in. I'm sure the "correct" ratio of plot to gag could be the subject of many threads in its own right, and probably has been.

RBloom0566
2006-04-01, 01:33 AM
Perhaps it's the slightly evil Necromancer in me, but I truly pity the monster under the umbrella.

I hope his dissatisfaction with his current employer are resolved soon.

Hey, I'm happy to make a post before page 5 is gone with all the uber-fanboys/girls around here. *L*

Nerd-o-rama
2006-04-01, 01:37 AM
Aww...I think we need a poll for which character is most adorably idiotic/pathetic.

And yes, this did give me happy flashbacks to the self-contained villain cutaways of the Dungeon of Dorukan arc.

Melnor
2006-04-01, 01:38 AM
Woohoo!
I actually let out a shout of joy in noticing that there was a new comic up :P
Absolutely no futhering of the storyline...I love it!
Heh heh, I was just happy to see the Darken Thin again :P

Eternal-Darthness
2006-04-01, 01:39 AM
i want to see them hold a conversation with thog, i really do :D

Little insect talk funny

Can we safely assume something akin to Maxwell's law in reverse applies to the demon roaches, essentially that it is impossible for anything bad to happen to them? Redcloak could do nothing to them. Thog might just think he was hearing voices and spaz out.
It should be noted that the hobgoblins aren't horribly bright either.

Jonathan_Crane
2006-04-01, 01:41 AM
Great comic, I couldn't help but both pity the creature and want to slap him in the face.

I can't wait to see what the villains have planned, and I'm eagerly anticipating #300!

Vargtass
2006-04-01, 01:58 AM
Favorite line:
"Then, unless you are volunteering as raw material ..."
Redcloak is excellent (and I always used to play the cleric, the evil ones, too).
And I think Elan and CitD break even at being the most clueless. Thog, on the other hand, has his "mind" clear on what he likes and wants, and can focus on that...

Flash
2006-04-01, 02:05 AM
What nefarious creature of pure evil lies lurking under that cutesie pink "Hello Monster"tm umbrella? Well certainly not an overly intelligent one, but a funny one nonetheless.

Looking forward to see everyone back in action again! (Here's to hoping our fearless composer works that coda a bit... in good Brahmsian fashion.)

ElfLad
2006-04-01, 02:05 AM
Ha, this strengthens my love for Redcloak, and I actually am starting to find CitD a lot funnier.

The demon roaches still do nothing for me, though.

Mattaeu
2006-04-01, 02:11 AM
"What's this gate you guys keep talking about?"

creature is soo cool.

good comic.

Barazon
2006-04-01, 02:18 AM
A coda? Hmm, it seemed like more of a bridge to me. I hope we don't need to go another 100 comics before the creature in the darkness gets revealed!

Nightstallion
2006-04-01, 02:25 AM
Neat comic.

I take it that the reference to this being a coda suggests either #299 or #300 is the last strip of book #2?

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-01, 02:30 AM
Hahahahahahawwwwwww.

Gralamin
2006-04-01, 02:31 AM
A coda? Hmm, it seemed like more of a bridge to me. I hope we don't need to go another 100 comics before the creature in the darkness gets revealed!
It was introduced in comic #23. It has been around for ~177 Comics. It will be revealed when necesccary.

jmaccabeus
2006-04-01, 02:41 AM
And he's not even useful for bait or decoy work (the general fallback plan of the useless), since there's thousands of other evil minions better able to do that...

Adder
2006-04-01, 04:08 AM
So cute ;D

Neopolis
2006-04-01, 04:15 AM
Awesome! I didn't know Hobgoblins had Light Sensitivity, though. :p

Once again, the roaches were awesome. "Cue the violins" XD

Zann
2006-04-01, 04:24 AM
Hmmmm... :/ I liked it, it was good, but it didn't have the same sort of.... 'lol' ness as the one before.

Pity, pity...

Albion
2006-04-01, 04:36 AM
Ummm, well, the roaches were nice. :-/

tmacdevitt
2006-04-01, 04:39 AM
WARNING!! Pedantic comment below.

Why would the HobGoblins damn their Goblin eyes? Shouldn't they be damning their HobGoblin Eyes? ???
Naturally they are HobGoblins becasue they are yellow.

Or is it that their eyes are Goblin and the rest of them are Hob? :-/

Looking forward to #300 :)

Solmage
2006-04-01, 04:52 AM
Man, every time I see the thing in the dark I think it will get along well with Elan...

Pfft, Nale has serious competition on the identical twin business. CitD is the Elan of Evil Cuisine. Nale is too smart to qualify as an identical twin. ;D

Now admittedly the last strip had me roaring in laughter.. and also managed to get the suspense really up (Go Miko!), but this was very nice too. I really like Redcloak :)

Edit: I can't believe it's only page 4. How many PAGES of worthless "Woot me first post, me should be killed repeatedly" did the voice of mod delete I wonder. I'm guessing 4-5 :)

Sc00by
2006-04-01, 04:59 AM
Hmmmm

Feels like filler tbh... But at least we know Xylon is planning something big, with lots of hobgoblins and undead! No hang on - we knew that already. :-/

It not only feels like filler, it looks like filler.

Hopefully it's the lul before the ROFLCOPTER storm that will be strip 300... ;)

phlip
2006-04-01, 05:42 AM
Feels like filler tbh... But at least we know Xylon is planning something big, with lots of hobgoblins and undead! No hang on - we knew that already. :-/
My guess? Rich has something big planned for #300. The Memphis fiasco caused #298 and #299 to be shown together as #298, so a new #299 had to be inserted to keep #300 in sync...

Nightstallion
2006-04-01, 06:03 AM
My guess? Rich has something big planned for #300. The Memphis fiasco caused #298 and #299 to be shown together as #298, so a new #299 had to be inserted to keep #300 in sync...

I had assumed something similar, yes. Can't wait to find out what #300 will bring. ^_^

Iruka
2006-04-01, 06:13 AM
I had assumed something similar, yes. Can't wait to find out what #300 will bring. ^_^

maybe #300 will bring nothing at all, just keeping the tension until #301 unleashes 5 pages of master artwork

Antina
2006-04-01, 06:15 AM
Huzzah!!!
Love to see the magic roaches back! :D
And my also beloved sweet thing in the dark!
In his/her wy cool as ever! :D
It´s so fitting! Being `master plan` of the evil overlord who found it to be a ´perfect match`and hating the job for what it is, not understanding why that´s so!

Just simply GREAT!
THANK YOU MR GIANT FOR THAT GREAT LOVELY LOVEABLE STRIP!

PS: I think you gotta have kids to find it this hillarious and sooo cute!

Grunjon
2006-04-01, 07:05 AM
Awesome! I didn't know Hobgoblins had Light Sensitivity, though. :p
You've got a point. Looking up in my Monster Manual (1979 release!), it clearly states that "Tribal bands of hobgoblins are likely to be encountered nearly anywhere as these creatures are equally at home in sunlight or subterranean setting. They fight well in full daylight and have infravision (60') so as to be able to fight in total darkness as well."

On the other hand, I have co-workers who are (supposedly) human, and should also be able to be okay in full daylight, but who routinely work the night shift, and anytime they are out before dusk they always complain about the big glowing round thing in the sky where the moon is supposed to be. ;D

Why do I have a MM from '79? Well, it WAS roughly 15 years ago (well, a bit less perhaps, but not much) since I played AD&D regularly, and I first got into it when I was a freshman in high school. Yep...'79. But that's not my original book, either...this was found at a used book store back when I got back into it in the early '90s. I still love it, though.

Giant, the comic is great, and it's good to finally catch up with the bad guys. It's also good to see that they've been busy. VERY busy. Lots of stuff for the Order to do soon, methinks. Heh heh heh heh heh.

Dark_Stalion
2006-04-01, 07:38 AM
Yo! Hobgoblins and the thing in the dark!

That's precisely what I thought. When they finally fight for the last time I want the CitD to survive just so that he and Elan can talk. Or maybe they will have to face each other in the battle and then hilarity will cirtainly ensue.
[/spoiler]

5tephen
2006-04-01, 07:55 AM
Hmm... winding up for a 300th strip featuring exclusively Xykon and crew?

Or maybe not. Perhaps the story simply needed a little comic filler?

Or perhaps there will BE nothing special for episode 300? It has been so before... (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=100)

Only the Giant knows!
(TRUST in the GIANT, children.)

codemartin
2006-04-01, 11:44 AM
I must say I was wondering what happened to the other evil team,(the first being the guild we all love) Me thinks the monster has worst wisdome ever. :P

Woot page 5

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-04-01, 11:55 AM
And here we see the proof that the snarl is just too smart for the MITD.

The Voice of Mod: Posts that say nothing but "First page!" or "Woot!" or any combination of the two will be deleted as spam. Please wait until you have something to say before posting.

Strange, Giant. I expected that, but I never saw any post like that.

rebellioussong
2006-04-01, 12:12 PM
ye keptith thine word on noble and famed Rich

3 comics in 4 days... you are amazing

this was so great we have all been ondering what is going on over at the evil camp! Sooo funny too

KEEP IT UP!!

Terrafire
2006-04-01, 01:09 PM
I don't fully get it. Is it that Goblins are so insignificant that helping them isn't considered contributing? :) O_O

Or is it that he is oblivious to what the goblins need, as he's oblivious to everything else? (including gates)

maximus
2006-04-01, 01:21 PM
I would have to say the latter.... he is just UBER-oblivious.... :)

Gralamin
2006-04-01, 01:34 PM
~277 Comics. Isn't math fun?

Was very Sleeply at time, will reprimand self :P

Mal_the_Mad
2006-04-01, 02:01 PM
ok there were complaints of but where's xykon and crew in the montage(montage) so here they are, ok everyone but the man himself. so gee is 300 the finale or the begining of the next series????

Stay tuned the end is nigh. ok for the next book but not the series. we have more of elan's adventures to look forward to.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-01, 02:10 PM
I would have to say the latter.... he is just UBER-oblivious.... :)

"Huh, never noticed that before. But back to this gate I've been hearing so much about..."

metawidget
2006-04-01, 02:35 PM
Haha, CitD is as clueless as Elan... or more clueless, sice Elan CAN actually find something to do...

I guess it depends on your cluelessness metric... Elan's had some really choice moments of active cluelessness.

Plot arcs coming back like grass from under the melting snow... it must be srping. Here's to more Redcloak and demon cockroaches.

n11
2006-04-01, 02:36 PM
WARNING!! Pedantic comment below.

Why would the HobGoblins damn their Goblin eyes? Shouldn't they be damning their HobGoblin Eyes? ???
Naturally they are HobGoblins becasue they are yellow.

Or is it that their eyes are Goblin and the rest of them are Hob? :-/

Looking forward to #300 :)

To be equally pedantic (it's fun), Hobgoblins fall into a category of "Goblinoid". So just as Americans, Europeans, Africans, and Asians have human eyes, so Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears have goblin eyes. :)

garylian
2006-04-01, 03:16 PM
Gotta love the "Hello Kitty" umbrella. That was the best part!

jmaccabeus
2006-04-01, 03:20 PM
To be equally pedantic (it's fun), Hobgoblins fall into a category of "Goblinoid". So just as Americans, Europeans, Africans, and Asians have human eyes, so Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears have goblin eyes. :)

Hmmm... If they're of the same species (which that implies), that means they could mate. How come one never runs across half-Hobgoblin half-Bugbears? Racism? Instinctive aversion to the separate subspecies?

Eh... now that I think about it, study of goblinoid mating habits might not be such a good idea... :o

Neopolis
2006-04-01, 03:23 PM
Gotta love the "Hello Kitty" umbrella. That was the best part!
Hello Mutant*

n11
2006-04-01, 04:15 PM
Hmmm... If they're of the same species (which that implies), that means they could mate. How come one never runs across half-Hobgoblin half-Bugbears? Racism? Instinctive aversion to the separate subspecies?

Eh... now that I think about it, study of goblinoid mating habits might not be such a good idea... :o

Clearly (by the way they are drawn), the only difference is skin color (of course, we have yet to see an OOTS bugbear), so I surmise their evil nature provides for the requisite racism and aversion.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-04-01, 04:56 PM
Awwwww, i feel bad for the poor stupid monster-in-the-shadows.........

Steward
2006-04-01, 06:10 PM
maybe #300 will bring nothing at all, just keeping the tension until #301 unleashes 5 pages of master artwork

300 will be completely blank except for a small message in the corner with the epilogue.
Roy beats Xykon. Miko does not show up again. Elan dies. Haley gets together with Hinjo. Vaarsuvius's mate is Pompey. Oh, and Belkar goes back to college, gets his degree, and finishes off his life teaching dentistry at the community college. The End.

ElfLad
2006-04-01, 06:14 PM
What happens to Durkon?

Kish
2006-04-01, 06:27 PM
It's unstated.

Steward
2006-04-01, 08:26 PM
What happens to Durkon?

Durkon reveals himself to be Dorukan.

Durkon (in an Orsen-Welles tone): All it took to trick you bumbling idiots was a fake Dwarfish brogue, a creatively applied Reduce Person, and a freakin' broken anagram.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-04-01, 08:34 PM
Is that Hello Kitty(R) on his umbrella? If so, Why?
And are Hobgoblins sensitive to UV radiation? ???

[spoiler]
And I don't think number 300 will be blank :-/

And I follow the new rule ;)

Faramir
2006-04-01, 08:39 PM
That's precisely what I thought. When they finally fight for the last time I want the CitD to survive just so that he and Elan can talk. Or maybe they will have to face each other in the battle and then hilarity will cirtainly ensue.
[/spoiler]

Yes, but a conversation between Roy and Redcloak could be just as much fun. I can just see them commiserating with each other over being the token sensible person in each group.

Roy may have an MBA but Redcloak does the NY Times crossword puzzle...

Hyrael
2006-04-01, 10:47 PM
Yes, but a conversation between Roy and Redcloak could be just as much fun. I can just see them commiserating with each other over being the token sensible person in each group.

Roy may have an MBA but Redcloak does the NY Times crossword puzzle...

how would he get the New York Times? In any case, its marginaly more likely for him to get the Korranberg Chronicle ;) .

Evik
2006-04-01, 11:19 PM
Hooray for the return of "the thing in the shadows"
:D
plus redcloak and the red demon cockroaches
exxxxxxxxxclent

Kord
2006-04-01, 11:32 PM
Gotta love the demon roaches. They're just the type of thing that makes these comics so good.

Steward
2006-04-02, 12:05 AM
What are you, an Anti-Dentite?

No? Where did you get that?

WarriorTribble
2006-04-02, 12:57 AM
Oh, and Belkar goes back to college, gets his degree, and finishes off his life teaching dentistry at the community college. The End. [/size]Considering the medival tech in the OOTS world dentistry would probal be the only legal form of torture in a good aligned gov't :). Makes perfect sense Belkar would be a guru at it.

Antina
2006-04-02, 04:02 AM
And are Hobgoblins sensitive to UV radiation? ???

The Hobgoblins are mocking the thing in the dark.

And the umbrella-thing: It´s still unrevealed. Originally Xycons idea (the thing in the dark wasn´t e x a c t l y happy when it got it...)

Gunslinger47
2006-04-02, 05:18 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=147
That's the comic where the umbrella is revealed. I forget where I saw it, but I believe it's call "Hello Goblin" or something of the like.

Wiggle
2006-04-02, 05:44 AM
Oh, and Belkar goes back to college, gets his degree, and finishes off his life teaching dentistry at the community college. The End.

Could be tricky for him to do so. Halflings, after all, receive a -2 racial adjustment for extractions.

Somehow, I don't think there'll be many gamers who'll be playing D&D (Drills & Dentures)

(I am a fang farrier myself, by the way ;D)

zennehoy
2006-04-02, 06:54 AM
Are mallowmars simply dyslexic marshmallows? Or am I missing something?
Zen

Zeekar
2006-04-02, 09:16 AM
Are mallowmars simply dyslexic marshmallows? Or am I missing something?
Zen

The Mallomar® is a brand of cookie. It basically consists of two graham crackers with marshmallow between them, coated in chocolate.

Jimmie
2006-04-02, 09:34 AM
You have to agree... :P lol

Antina
2006-04-02, 10:49 AM
The fascinating thing is: The thing in the shadows is NOT holding the umbrella. There is totally no notion of a hand or anything else that might keep the umbrella in position...
Curious....

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-04-02, 11:27 AM
The fascinating thing is: The thing in the shadows is NOT holding the umbrella. There is totally no notion of a hand or anything else that might keep the umbrella in position...
Curious....

I asked a friend, and we think it's a Levitate spell.
Or telekinesis

Leveller
2006-04-02, 11:30 AM
Curious....

i think it's resting on his head.

Vargtass
2006-04-02, 12:07 PM
Although Elan and CitD are similarly clueless, they differ significantly (are rather opposites) when it comes to recognizing and understanding plot devices and storytelling elements ...

Antina
2006-04-02, 12:39 PM
I asked a friend, and we think it's a Levitate spell.
Or telekinesis

I dunno... - doesn´t sound quite right to me, but please - no further speculations in this thread - Giant hates them with a passion.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-02, 01:06 PM
Curious....

Oh wow, I never noticed that before. I guess I just assumed that his* hand/claw/pseudopod was obscured by darkness, but then the handle would be too, or at least have a dark image of it.

*http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=191"]" ("He's[/b] about as scary as musty styrofoam"...linked in case anyone else though, as I did, that his gender might be in dispute.

Wiggle
2006-04-02, 02:16 PM
Well, you assumed Belkar (who's EEEEEEvil) would become a Dentist. That's an Anti-Dentite thing to say.

Have got to agree. I am a dentist, the majority of the time I am CG, occasionally slipping into CN - but am never evil (despite what my patients say ) >:(

Steward
2006-04-02, 02:35 PM
Well, you assumed Belkar (who's EEEEEEvil) would become a Dentist. That's an Anti-Dentite thing to say.

It was a joke. You'd never expect Belkar (who hurts people) to take a profession that would allow him to help people.

Adder
2006-04-02, 02:53 PM
Sorry, but I just have post a little verse here. My apologies to all dentists available ;D

You'll be a dentist
You have a talent for causing things pain
Son, be a dentist
People will pay you to be inhumane

Little Shop of Horrors

titan_monarch
2006-04-02, 05:23 PM
[spoiler-ish]

I bet the Laws of Comedy dictate that the Creature in the Dark is really...(highlight to read)

the Snarl itself, freed by Xykon before the OotS arrived and not as Chaotic Evil as everyone thought.

[/slght spoiler]

Wiggle
2006-04-02, 06:39 PM
Sorry, but I just have post a little verse here. My apologies to all dentists available ;D

You'll be a dentist
Son, be a dentist

Little Shop of Horrors

Apology accepted on behalf of the OOTS Dental Guild. I doubt I'm the only dentist who reads OOTS but you never know.

NovaNightmare
2006-04-02, 06:42 PM
Oh why do some evil, or possibly evil characters have to be so lovable or at least likeable?! (Rhetorical Question)

Reminds me of a villain I used in the second campaign I ever was DM for, a very evil Halfling rogue that hampered the PC's progress for almost 3 sub plots, doing raids at night and picking pockets... The likeable part was that the PC's couldn’t help but pity the wit filled and annoying Halfling that just a bought brought them to a standstill as there possessions disappeared in the middle of the night and yet they never saw or noticed a thing till it was to late. Pity came when they finally cornered him one lone seemingly unarmed Halfling. After all how could any one truly hate a cornered Halfling? Until he sticks a spear no one knew he had in the back of the party's ranger (critical + instant death conformation) and vanishes only to be blown apart by a fireball cast by the party's mage one round latter?
??? ??? ???

AyuVince
2006-04-02, 06:59 PM
[spoiler-ish]

I bet the Laws of Comedy dictate that the Creature in the Dark is really...(highlight to read)

the Snarl itself, freed by Xykon before the OotS arrived and not as Chaotic Evil as everyone thought.

[/slght spoiler]

Possible, but I highly doubt it. I mean, it killed gods, how could Xykon control it? Besides, it definitely killed Mijung Kim, and that's not very lovable, don't you think?

The Linker
2006-04-02, 08:38 PM
The Hobgoblins are mocking the thing in the dark.

I dunno, I think they actually have a problem with the light, and the joke is that the goblins absolutely can't complete their crucial and important task wthout shade, and the monster is looking for an important job, but can't see it jumping up and biting him in the face. Figuratively of course.

bluish_wolf
2006-04-02, 08:54 PM
If you want to get technical, orcs are the ones that are sensitive to light. Then again, anyone would be annoyed by the sun shining in his eyes.

infiniteviking
2006-04-02, 11:40 PM
Gotta love that umbrella.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the Thing in the Dark was... small. He fits into that little space? Is it a spell, or is the umbrella dimensionally transcendental?

Antina
2006-04-03, 03:38 AM
Hey - something caught my eye - aargh - ;) no seriously:

Red Cloaks red cloak is still damaged!
The edge he lost at the forest-gate is missing!

Xykon
2006-04-03, 06:06 AM
[spoiler-ish]

[/slght spoiler]

Possible, but I highly doubt it. I mean, it killed gods, how could Xykon control it? Besides, it definitely killed Mijung Kim, and that's not very lovable, don't you think?

possible but i agree with Vincent Valentine.

EDIT: i would quote them both but i'm to lazy...

rosebud
2006-04-03, 07:12 AM
Hey - something caught my eye
Red Cloaks red cloak is still damaged!
The edge he lost at the forest-gate is missing!
To my knowledge, it's always (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=95) been missing in this series. I'm still curious to see a reply to my question (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1143866072 ;start=23#23) back on page 2 of this thread. (If you look closely, the seemingly missing section changes sides.)

Blaznak
2006-04-03, 08:07 AM
New comic is up.

And Upbeat, too! Hey, I liked NOT reading about the lives of the Order for a day. Nice break and long over due!

Later!

Antina
2006-04-03, 08:39 AM
Hmm. I like the monster under the umbrella, but it does seem a bit forced. I am a bit curious why the demon cockroaches didn't have a sarcastic retort in any of the last three panels. I'm just hoping that the lack of the crucial role being performed will become crucial later. =)

I'm also curious if we'll get to see Kadrog the Slayer and Jim make a later appearance as zombie hobgoblins. :)

Out of curiosity, is the missing corner of Redcloak's cape torn (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=290), or is it just flapping in the wind? (It switches sides during the strip, which is why it seems to just be flapping, but it does look a bit strange.)

Thanx 4 telling me - must have slipped that post of yours! :)
I think it IS torn because of the incident at Lirians Gate.

The switching - you mentioned - possibly made "drawing" a lot easier because of - how shall I put it "mirroring"?
I think I don´t know the right term.

Hmm - maybe to explain it this way:
In #95 the missing part changes from left to right exactly as all the other things Redcloak wears/has do (amulett, revert, eyes, arms).
Rich just added some colour and took away the bows around the eyes (referring to panel 7 & 9 in #95)

So: Rich is not to blame - I´d done the same thing ;).
Important thing is: We got to know who left a part of his cloak in the woods...

Nightfall
2006-04-03, 09:46 AM
How can you be horrified by a thing carrying a "Hello Kitty" umbrella??

No wait....forget I asked...I just realized what I said.

Run away! Run away! ;D

Darkhand
2006-04-03, 10:57 AM
"Unless you are volunteering your services as raw materials, I don't think you are going to be much help."

What are the material components required to create undead? Could that be a hint as to the CitD's composition?

Leveller
2006-04-03, 11:17 AM
"Unless you are volunteering your services as raw materials, I don't think you are going to be much help."

What are the material components required to create undead? Could that be a hint as to the CitD's composition?

I'm pretty sure he meant:

"unless you want me to kill and then animate you, I don't think you are going to be much help."

MelTel
2006-04-03, 12:03 PM

You'll be a dentist
Son, be a dentist

Little Shop of Horrors

Weird we are doing that play right now

Zeekar
2006-04-03, 01:16 PM
Important thing is: We got to know who left a part of his cloak in the woods...

That was never in doubt, was it? I mean, c'mon, the guy's name is Redcloak, and the scrap was a piece of a red cloak...

Banjo_Buddy
2006-04-03, 01:18 PM
You've got a point. Looking up in my Monster Manual (1979 release!) ...

Why do I have a MM from '79? Well, it WAS roughly 15 years ago

Now, I checked the following posts to make sure I wasn't repeating someone else (and of course that means that someone else will make and post this point while I'm writing...) but 1979 was, um, 27 years ago.

I mean, heck, I didn't even play my first game of AD&D until January of 1980, and if only I were but 15 years older than I was then, well, I'd be a younger man.

Or did I read something wrong? (Darn these glasses! I'd get new ones but kids today...)

Comic-related discussion--

I enjoyed it. I'm pleased to see the switch to other viewpoints, especially after the OotS montage in the previous strip. It feels more build-up than climax, but that's okay--there's plot to spare. We haven't wrapped up any plot threads, just reminded readers that they are there, waiting...

I do hope 300 will be something significant and related to the Order itself, though. (Cutesy-OotSy?)

Arakune
2006-04-03, 01:29 PM
one word: cute.

the shadow thing are the most cute devious ultimate plot-wise-weapon ever!

Antina
2006-04-03, 02:17 PM
That was never in doubt, was it? I mean, c'mon, the guy's name is Redcloak, and the scrap was a piece of a red cloak...

Yeeees! ;)
We were talking about #95.
Please read my/our post again and try to interprete a little bit (Me Thog not native speaker being ;))

The point was exactly, that we know about Red Cloak for a long time and have no need to nitpick if Rich made a few mistakes with his "mirroring" or what so ever it is called.

Gary_Schaper
2006-04-03, 02:59 PM
Boy, Redcloak sure has a surprising amount of attitude when he's dealing with anyone besides Xykon, doesn't he?

Or perhaps that's just the result of having been the Grand High Poobah of the Hobgoblins for the past X-many strips.

Darkhand
2006-04-03, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant:

"unless you want me to kill and then animate you, I don't think you are going to be much help."

Oh yeah, duh... The component being the dead body to animate. :P Oh well, it was worth a shot. :)

Xykon
2006-04-03, 04:36 PM
oook....

ElfLad
2006-04-03, 04:42 PM
Oh yeah, duh... The component being the dead body to animate. :P Oh well, it was worth a shot. :)

Well, now we know that the CitD has a body.
And doesn't appear to be undead...yet.

You know what would be the perfect anti-climax? The CitD is unleashed... and he's invisible.

WNxArrakis
2006-04-03, 04:49 PM
Spoiler Or the fact that his body is made of shadows..

Steward
2006-04-03, 05:17 PM
Spoiler Or the fact that his body is made of shadows..

Or maybe it turns out that the Creature of the Dark is a Goblin with a Wand of Inflict Light Wounds.

Alfryd
2006-04-03, 05:24 PM
New comic is up.
Good work. I look forward to today's installment tomorrow. I am also curious as to what Xykon finally intends to do with all those freshly minted minions.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-03, 05:30 PM
Or maybe it turns out that the Creature of the Dark is a Goblin with a Wand of Inflict Light Wounds.

Xykon says he "should be" scary. And I think Xykon knows from scary.

Arkadian
2006-04-03, 05:36 PM
Is it me or do those demon roaches remind any of you of Gonzo's Rats from the Muppet show? Well...an evil variety of Muppet Rat.

Giant...you watched alot of cartoons when you were a kid, didn't you? ;D

Samiam303
2006-04-03, 05:44 PM
Interesting... we now know that the thing in the shadows 'can' eat. :)

EDIT: Ouch... my brother just pointed out that it's already been seen eating popcorn. ::)

Kish
2006-04-03, 06:02 PM
Well, he already proposed to eat the Order of the Stick, and Xykon said he was going to feed him kids when they left the dungeon.

redmind0
2006-04-03, 09:28 PM

I think it would be more correct to compare it to how a human and a ape could both say simian eyes. All humans are the same species because they can produse offspring while to my knowlage goblins and bugbears are not.

I found this comic twice as long as it needed to be.

Emperior
2006-04-03, 10:25 PM
Always good to see another page of OOTS, but I found this one kind of lame. Not one of the most creative page sofar, but i still look forward to the next one.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-04-03, 10:36 PM
Great strip! With all those hobgoblins I bet Xykon could get together a really terrific cast for "Show Boat", maybe build himself a pyramid or two...

Drraagh
2006-04-03, 11:24 PM
I think it would be more correct to compare it to how a human and a ape could both say simian eyes. All humans are the same species because they can produse offspring while to my knowlage goblins and bugbears are not.

All this talk about eyes, I'm reminded of that Simpson's quote. 'My eyes.. The goggles do nothing'. Well that, and my last visit to the optomitrist.

The Giant
2006-04-03, 11:27 PM
New comic is going to be late, working on a double-length (sort of) for #300.

Winged One
2006-04-03, 11:28 PM
Yay! Extra long strip!

theKOT
2006-04-03, 11:29 PM
New comic is going to be late, working on a double-length (sort of) for #300.
How intriguing. Late as in tommorow morning or as in a couple hours?
Anyway, I'd rather it be a bit late than it be sub-par. It IS 300, after all.

Drraagh
2006-04-03, 11:37 PM
Anyway, I'd rather it be a bit late than it be sub-par.

That's what I think about every comic here, no matter what their number is.They're just that good...

OotS: Bet you can't read just one.

Renmazuo
2006-04-03, 11:40 PM
This can only be a good thing!

Eternal-Darthness
2006-04-03, 11:59 PM
Gotta love that umbrella.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the Thing in the Dark was... small. He fits into that little space? Is it a spell, or is the umbrella dimensionally transcendental?
It's a TARDIS brand umbrelley.
Oh, wait, it's just a 'tard under an umbrella. I bet he just folds really well, like the bug in the Edgar suit.

infiniteviking
2006-04-04, 12:18 AM
New comic is going to be late, working on a double-length (sort of) for #300.Holding my breath... *turns blue* Double-length comic? Def'nitely worth waiting for. ;D Thanks for the heads-up!

It's a TARDIS brand umbrelley.After all, if the Sixth Doctor could fit under an umbrella, anything's possible.... ::)

Jonathan_Crane
2006-04-04, 12:24 AM
Double length, eh? Neato. I was expecting a quadruple-super-triple-large-dodecahedron comic, but double length sounds good enough to me! ;)

theKOT
2006-04-04, 12:32 AM
But it is only sort of double-length. That's the mystery....

Winged One
2006-04-04, 12:33 AM
But it is only sort of double-length. That's the mystery....
Dun, dun, DUUUN!

tomaO2
2006-04-04, 12:43 AM
Well, The Giant plans to publish every page that he makes here so it can't really stray from the standered size format.

The first strip will be a normal one with the second one being a big pin-up picture like at the end of the first storyline. Giant had the Order of the Stick do a group shot for that and it will be the same here, only it will take up the full page.

Maybe he'll even sell it as a poster. :-/

Vaarsuvius_Prime
2006-04-04, 12:52 AM
Thogius likem extram.

5tephen
2006-04-04, 01:55 AM
I am PANTING with anticipation....

Nikolai_II
2006-04-04, 02:17 AM
Well, he already proposed to eat the Order of the Stick, and Xykon said he was going to feed him kids when they left the dungeon.

He both made and ate popcorns during the "Durkon and Hilgya educational erotic extravaganza episode" ;)

The Doctor
2006-04-04, 02:54 AM
After all, if the Sixth Doctor could fit under an umbrella, anything's possible.... ::)

I rather not be reminded of my sixth incarnation.
I had horrible taste back then.
Correction...
I had NO taste at all, back then.

Oh, and a 'sort of' double length comic? So... that would be one-and-three-quarters length?

Gunslinger47
2006-04-04, 03:06 AM
My guess on what the "sort of" means:
[[Likely he means that one page will be a comic, the other will be a full-page image. That's "sort of" a double-length comic.]]

Censored, as guesses to the physical layout of the next update could be construed as a "spoiler" by some measures.

Nightmarenny
2006-04-04, 03:36 AM
Well, The Giant plans to publish every page that he makes here so it can't really stray from the standered size format.

The first strip will be a normal one with the second one being a big pin-up picture like at the end of the first storyline. Giant had the Order of the Stick do a group shot for that and it will be the same here, only it will take up the full page.

Maybe he'll even sell it as a poster. :-/
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=50

A 1 and 1/2 stripe

Nightstallion
2006-04-04, 03:39 AM
Mhrm, indeed. How did he work that out in the book? Haven't got it with me here at work, and I just can't recall it right now... ;)

tomaO2
2006-04-04, 03:41 AM
Hmm, got got me there Nightmarenny.

What did the Giant do when he published it? I assume he's published his early strips like number 50 by now. Did he shrink the size to make it fit in the book or divide it up?

Sc00by
2006-04-04, 03:46 AM
1 and a half pages, with 2 'filler' strips underneath the 1/2 a strip IIRC. (the art from when The Giant was sick was used)

**edit added 'r's to stip(s) to make strips... ::)

Nightstallion
2006-04-04, 04:48 AM
Ah, yes, I dimly recall something like that. Thanks for refreshing my memory.