PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Battlesmith Builds

Anderlith
2019-05-16, 07:02 PM
What are some interesting Battlesmith weapon/loadout choices?

ImproperJustice
2019-05-16, 09:22 PM
Forgive my ignorance, I am unfamiliar with a Battlesmith concept.

Is it just someone who is a skilled smith and soldier?

In that case, Battlemaster seems perfect.

You could also explore the Forge Cleric if you want some supernatural goodness in there.
My main PC is a level 13 Forge Cleric and I adore her.

Zilong
2019-05-16, 09:40 PM
I think they're talking about the newly revised Artificer that has a subclass called Battlesmith.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-17, 07:26 AM
Battlesmith 6/Bladesinger 14 is obnoxiously SAD, and has plenty of spell slots for smiting.

A Spear wielding Battlesmith would be a lot of fun-- Polearm Master + Arcane Weapon work together beautifully, and Returning Weapon makes throwing a viable alternative to melee.

Wildarm
2019-05-17, 08:03 AM
Battlesmith 6/Bladesinger 14 is obnoxiously SAD, and has plenty of spell slots for smiting.

A Spear wielding Battlesmith would be a lot of fun-- Polearm Master + Arcane Weapon work together beautifully, and Returning Weapon makes throwing a viable alternative to melee.

You're thinking Archivist. Battlesmith can't smite.

For the PAM build:

Vhuman Battle Smith 6/Battle Master 14
14 Dex, 16 Con, 16 Int
Take PAM, Sentinel then Max Int

Setup as you mentioned - 3-4 attacks per round with spear + arcane weapon gives good DPR. Returning weapon is pretty neat as you can throw your spear at various targets and then use the PAM bonus attack against an adjacent foe. I'd fluff that as the spear catching an adjacent foe on the way back to you. :)

Your Iron Guardian is mainly there to force disadvantage on the first attack against you in the round. Sentinel combos really well as it doesn't have that much HP(32) but it gives you a free reaction attack if someone does decide to target it. You should have solid HP and AC so you're generally very tanky.

Anderlith
2019-05-17, 08:46 AM
I wasn’t really interested in multiclassing, especially PAM or dual wielding I’d like to save my Bonus Action for the pup

Wildarm
2019-05-17, 09:21 AM
I wasn’t really interested in multiclassing, especially PAM or dual wielding I’d like to save my Bonus Action for the pup

Pure Battle Smith has lots of decent options.

Gnomish ArcanoLancer
+1 Lance, +1 Half Plate, Shield
14 Dex, 14+ Con, 17 Int
ASI: Spell Sniper, Magic Initiate
Pickup Booming Blade and ride your thundering robo puppy to victory
Cast Longstrider on your IG
You turn is pretty much readying and action to cast booming blade when you move into reach. Bonus action - Mount to Dash
Mounts turn is to run up to 50' in, you get to cast booming blade, then dash back 50'

Metal Twins
Warforged Envoy Battle Smith X
14 Dex, 16 Con, 16 Int
ASI: Max Int then GWM
You're swinging a greatsword or glaive. Bonus Action - IG Gives Help action or just bites depending on AC of foe
Scaling Warforged AC means you have more infusions for other team members or utility items

Dragon Musketeer
Kobold
16 Dex, 14 Con, 14 Int
ASI: Sharpshooter and then Max Int or Dex
Ride your metallic ambush drake around shooting things with your +1 Repeating Musket
You've got advantage on targets already engaged with an ally, use your Sharpshooter on them
No penalty for hitting adjacent foes with ranged weapons due to pack tactics and your mount. Bonus action to have your mount disengage.
Picking up something to do with your bonus action isn't a bad idea with this build. Often it will be arcane weapon or sanctuary.

Other fun things, you can make your IG anything with 4 legs:

Mini-Terrasque
Pony sized unicorn
Mini-Owlbear
Hell Hound with a glowing mouth
Tortoise /w rocket boosters
Mini-Dragon with non-functional wings
Mini-Dinosaur

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-17, 09:36 AM
Shoot, you're right. I thought Arcane Jolt was also slot- based for some reason.

In that case, Sentinel should probably be your first choice of feat-- it goes great with the dog. I'd lean towards a sword-and-shield combat style since you've only got a 1d8 hit die, but that's a personal preference. (Or maybe spear-and-shield; even without Polearm Master, it may be worth the one damage to have the flexibility of throw-and-return.

You have another neat option for range if you want to focus on it, though - Repeating Shot means you can use a heavy crossbow without a feat.

Anderlith
2019-05-17, 09:44 AM
Shoot, you're right. I thought Arcane Jolt was also slot- based for some reason.

In that case, Sentinel should probably be your first choice of feat-- it goes great with the dog. I'd lean towards a sword-and-shield combat style since you've only got a 1d8 hit die, but that's a personal preference. (Or maybe spear-and-shield; even without Polearm Master, it may be worth the one damage to have the flexibility of throw-and-return.

You have another neat option for range if you want to focus on it, though - Repeating Shot means you can use a heavy crossbow without a feat.

I’ve been thinking of Vuman or Cannith Dragonmarked with a Crossbow/Greatsword. Shields are nice, but with the Iron Doggo & being a second string lineman I figure there’s enough chance of not being hit to need a shield (though starting levels a shield & spear seems the best choice

Battlesmith has literal smites in its spell list

Spiritchaser
2019-05-17, 09:46 AM
I’d look into Vhuman or High Elven GWM build.

You have faerie fire for advantage, or help action from your robo (insert whatever) if the target saves, or if you can’t cast that debuff for reasons

Get by with 16 INT until 12 then make yourself a headband of intellect.

Like a hexblade, the Vhuman comes on line sooner, but the elf can take Elven accuracy for silly trivantage.

Wildarm
2019-05-17, 10:35 AM
I’d look into Vhuman or High Elven GWM build.

You have faerie fire for advantage, or help action from your robo (insert whatever) if the target saves, or if you can’t cast that debuff for reasons

Get by with 16 INT until 12 then make yourself a headband of intellect.

Like a hexblade, the Vhuman comes on line sooner, but the elf can take Elven accuracy for silly trivantage.

Unless you need 13 Int for MC, I wouldn't even bother investing in Int if plan on grabbing the headband. Just put the points into Dex. Rapier + Shield or Heavy Crossbow all work just fine with 16 dex. Opens up more race options. You loose out on using Strength based weapons though till level 12. You'll not have that many spells known either but at least you can shuffle them around each day.

Interesting character idea:
Kenku Artificer - Can be any subclass
16 Dex, 14 Int, 14 Con, 14 Wis
Functions in battle as a regular Artificer - Melee with your IG or Repeating Crossbow with IG protecting you.

The interesting thing about a Kenku is their mimicry aspect of the race folds SO WELL into the artificer:

- Tool Expertise plus advantage to create false objects, documents and disguises
- Infusions to make copies of magic items
- Magical Tinkering and your mimicry let's you record another persons voice or a sound

Archivist probably fits best as the subclass but Battle Smith would be fine too.

Spiritchaser
2019-05-17, 10:45 AM
Unless you need 13 Int for MC, I wouldn't even bother investing in Int if plan on grabbing the headband. Just put the points into Dex. Rapier + Shield or Heavy Crossbow all work just fine with 16 dex. Opens up more race options. You loose out on using Strength based weapons though till level 12. You'll not have that many spells known either but at least you can shuffle them around each day.

Interesting character idea:
Kenku Artificer - Can be any subclass
16 Dex, 14 Int, 14 Con, 14 Wis
Functions in battle as a regular Artificer - Melee with your IG or Repeating Crossbow with IG protecting you.

The interesting thing about a Kenku is their mimicry aspect of the race folds SO WELL into the artificer:

- Tool Expertise plus advantage to create false objects, documents and disguises
- Infusions to make copies of magic items
- Magical Tinkering and your mimicry let's you record another persons voice or a sound

Archivist probably fits best as the subclass but Battle Smith would be fine too.

With the faerie fire build you still need some int for your save DC

Wildarm
2019-05-17, 11:05 AM
With the faerie fire build you still need some int for your save DC

Fairie Fire is not even on my list of spell choices as an artificer with high INT. It uses concentration and you've probably got better things to spend your concentration on even at low levels - Arcane Weapon being the primary thing. Remember you only get Int + Half your artificer level + Subclass List for spells to prepare. Even with a high intelligence you've only got something like:

Level 1: 4
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, +Utility like Longstrider or Disguise Self
Level 2: 4
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, +Utility
Level 3: 4 + Subclass
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, +Utility
Level 4: 6 + Subclass
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, +Utility - ** Might be able to fit Fairie Fire in here
Level 5: 6 + Subclass
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, Blur, Aid, +Utility like Enhance Ability, Invisibility, etc.
Level 6: 7 + Subclass
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, Blur, Aid, +Utility
Level 7: 7 + Subclass
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, Blur, Aid, +Utility
Level 8: 9 + Subclass
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, Blur, Aid, Enhance Ability, Invisibility, + utility like Lesser Restoration, Enlarge/Reduce, etc.
Level 9: 9 + Subclass
Absorb Elements, Arcane Weapon, Blur, Aid, Invisibility, Fly, Dispel Magic, Haste, Revivify

You'd have to make the specific decision to drop a utility spell to pick up Fairie Fire. I just don't see using it that much compared to Arcane Weapon. All of the above spells are fantastic and don't need any investment in intelligence. Perhaps I've never found Fairie Fire all that powerful in the game.

Spiritchaser
2019-05-17, 11:15 AM
Oh i’ve No problem with arcane weapon, but faerie fire helps the whole team, and most likely adds more damage in aggregate than single target buffs will. Sure this is party dependent, and encounter dependent, and I’m not suggesting that other buffs are wrong.

But faerie fire IS freaking powerful, especially in a group and I think it works very well with a SAD INT Gish swinging a big... whatever especially with trivantage.

If I had to pick one spell I’d pick that over AW for this build.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-17, 11:45 AM
Given that Battlesmith can use Int to attack, I'd stick a 14 in Dex and max out Int-- you can take a feat and still boost it to 20 my the time you could get your hands on the Headband.

Wildarm
2019-05-17, 12:43 PM
Given that Battlesmith can use Int to attack, I'd stick a 14 in Dex and max out Int-- you can take a feat and still boost it to 20 my the time you could get your hands on the Headband.

True, I'm saying that to ignore that fact till level 12 may open up more options. Particularly in race choices and ASI options.

Example:

Stout Halfling
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 8
Take Bountiful Luck @ Level 4

Wood Elf
Str 10 Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10
Take EA @ Level 4 to bump dex to 18

Either build can function just fine as an artificer with low int. Taking the headband at level 12 then catches you up in terms of Int related things, you can switch over to spells requiring a save and get more uses our of the Int times per day class features.

Trying to compare apples to apples:

High Elf: EA(int) + ASI into Int: 8/14/14/19/14/8
Wood Elf: EA(dex) + ASI into Con: 10/18/16/19/14/10 /w Headband

For the cost of an infusion you end up with a much more well rounded set of stats. You will need to deal with 2-3 fewer spells prepared and avoiding spells needing an attack roll or save but I think that is pretty easy for an Artificer.

Damon_Tor
2019-05-17, 02:11 PM
Mobile Artillary

Basic Premise: you're very hard to hit while you shoot guys with your handcrossbow

Race: Rock Gnome. Because Int and Con are all you care about and also advantage on saves. And being small is freaking great here.

Starting Stats: STR 8, DEX 14, INT 16, CON 16, WIS 12, CHA 8
ASI 4: Crossbow Expert
ASI 8: +2 Int
ASI 12: +2 INT
ASI 16: Whatever
ASI 19: Whatever

Core Spell: Arcane Weapon.

Basic Tactics: On your turn, move to where you want to be and shoot three times with your handcrossbow, using your action and bonus action, dealing 6d6+3INT damage to stuff. Use your Arcane Jolt when you crit. If you're safely out of the reach of melee stuff, drop prone.
On your Defenders turn, he uses his movement run to wherever you are, between you and your enemies.
Behind your Defender, you should have 3/4 cover (+5 AC) because you're small. Your Half-Plate and Shield get you an AC of 19. You get another +1 AC from your Enhanced Defense infusion, then another +1 at level 8 from Repulsion Shield, then another +1 at level 12 when your Enhanced Defense upgrades. That's an effective AC of 27.

Advanced Tactics: When you hit level 18 and get your Spell Storing Item, store Warding Bond in the item. Then cast Tiny Servant with a level 5 spell slot, creating 5 Tiny Servants out of whatever. Pennies or something. They will live inside your backpack. Maybe you build them a special compartment or something. These are basically little HP batteries now: you can order them to use the SSI on you whenever you like, giving you +1 AC, +1 to all saves, and resistance to all damage. When one "wears out" and dies from taking damage on your behalf, there's another one lined up right behind it to take over.

8wGremlin
2019-05-17, 02:25 PM
snip
Basic Tactics: On your turn, move to where you want to be and shoot three times with your handcrossbow, using your action and bonus action, dealing 6d6+3INT damage to stuff.

It's (2d6+INT)*3

But then I could do this with my gloomstalker ranger (wt Dex), and get an additional attack on the first turn.
only difference was that I didn't have a shield, but in the whole of the HoTDQ and RoT I never needed it.
also having used DEX I got better initiative, better dex saves, etc.

Now I'm first to admit that I love the artificer, have done since if first came out in Eberron. I would play this version of the artificer. only thing i would change is the archivist, as it doesn't really seem artificer to me, but more mystic.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-17, 02:52 PM
It's (2d6+INT)*3

But then I could do this with my gloomstalker ranger (wt Dex), and get an additional attack on the first turn.
only difference was that I didn't have a shield, but in the whole of the HoTDQ and RoT I never needed it.

Now I'm first to admit that I love the artificer, have done since if first came out in Eberron. I would play this version of the artificer. only thing i would change is the archivist, as it doesn't really seem artificer to me, but more mystic.

Ranger is a DPR class, artificer is much more supportive, you shouldn't expect it to perform as well as the Ranger when it comes to DPR.

Damon_Tor
2019-05-17, 07:47 PM
It's (2d6+INT)*3

Well yes, a ranger can do 3(2d6+Stat) damage per turn with a handcrossbow as well. But there are a few reasons the Battlemaster is likely better at this:

Hunter's Mark is harder to use than Arcane Weapon. An artificer can easily precast it before combat starts, the ranger will likely have to use the bonus action on his first turn. That wipes out the Gloomstalker's first round advantage. He also can't reapply his Mark without using a bonus action, which means it's likely he's either going to be missing out on the extra 1d6 damage on some attacks or he's going to have to forgo the bonus action attack. Arcane Weapon has no such restriction. I think this is probably going to be the most critical and fundamental improvement to this playstyle moving from Ranger to Artificer, it simply isn't as obvious because it mean much in a white room.
The Battlemaster can "smite" 3-5 times a day for 2d4 extra damage. The Gloomstalker gets 1d8 once per encounter, so depending on your working day this might be a wash. Relevant note: the Battlemaster can hold on to his "smites" for a crit to double their damage, the Gloomstalker doesn't have that option.
The Battlemaster's infusions give him +1 to hit and damage with that crossbow. The Gloomstalker has to wait for the DM to give him what he wants. How many magic handcrossbows are there in published adventures? I legitimately don't know the answer to this, but I suspect they aren't particularly common.
You mentioned the shield, which is +2 to AC. But you should also remember that infusions are going to give the artificer another +1, and it's going to grow to +2 by level 8 and +3 by level 12.
The pet as mobile cover adds another +5 to AC, +2 if your DM is feeling uncooperative. A Gloomstalker doesn't have this, and the Beastmaster's version is almost strictly inferior.

Really the only thing the ranger has going for it is the Archery fighting style for +2 to attacks. That's relevant, and I won't act like it isn't, but I don't think it makes up for the loss of bonus actions every time you need to apply Hunter's Mark again.

Skootchtheclock
2019-08-27, 06:07 PM
Mobile Artillary

Basic Tactics: On your turn, move to where you want to be and shoot three times with your handcrossbow, using your action and bonus action, dealing 6d6+3INT damage to stuff.

Can you please explain this part? I'm new to dnd... I see if you have crossbow expert feat, you can shoot a second time with the hand crossbow, but how do you get a third shot?

Damon_Tor
2019-08-28, 06:16 AM
Can you please explain this part? I'm new to dnd... I see if you have crossbow expert feat, you can shoot a second time with the hand crossbow, but how do you get a third shot?

The Artificer gets to make a second attack when he takes the attack action using a magic weapon starting at level 5. So for his action he gets two attacks, then as a bonus action he gets one more.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-28, 12:30 PM
High Elf with GWM and Elven Accuracy could use the Iron defender to grant Advantage on one attack per turn. Triple Advantage is a pretty solid way to counteract the -5 to hit from GWM. Even if you don't hit on that swing, the next attack that turn could be made without -5 for another chance to land Arcane Jolt damage.

If multiclassing I'd go Wizard after 6 deep enough to get Tensor's Transformation. It's practically super Saiyan mode for a Battlesmith. Bladesinger doesn't work with GWM however, so War Magic is the way I'd go. Though straight Artificer to 20 is pretty attractive for the capstone.

Mr_Incoporeal
2020-01-10, 07:20 PM
It's (2d6+INT)*3

I'm fairly new to dnd, so could you please explain how the hand-crossbow becomes 2d6 damage? I can only see it as 1d6. What other artificer benefit makes it 2d6?

MaxWilson
2020-01-11, 02:33 AM
Ranger is a DPR class, artificer is much more supportive, you shouldn't expect it to perform as well as the Ranger when it comes to DPR.

Artillerist DPR is competitive with warlock or ranger. 7d8+4d10 (54) is a lot of at-will damage.

swamp_slug
2020-01-12, 09:10 AM
I'm fairly new to dnd, so could you please explain how the hand-crossbow becomes 2d6 damage? I can only see it as 1d6. What other artificer benefit makes it 2d6?

Most of the discussion in this thread pertains to the Unearthed Arcana version of the Artificer class that was published for playtest in February and May last year. Some of the information is not relevant to the version of the class published in Rising from the Last War.

In the UA playtest article the Artificer had access to a new spell called Arcane Weapon. It was basically an Arcane version of Divine Favor but dealt +1d6 damage per hit (instead of +1d4) and could be acid, cold, fire, lightning or poison (instead of radiant). This spell did not make it into Rising from the Last War (and would have been significantly reduced in power if it had).