PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Which Druid Circle for a Ranger Multiclass?

KOLE
2019-05-16, 09:45 PM
Hey playground, I ask for your help yet again.

Looking at joining a campaign where I'll start at Level 5. DM has very lenient stat rolling method- Roll 4d6 drop lowest 7 times, reroll all 1's and 2's, pick your best six results, so I'm pretty much guaranteed good stats. Starting at level 5 lets me go a route I've wanted to for a while- Nature Gish! Using Revised Ranger, I'll start with Extra Attack, Sharpshooter, and all the other Revised goodies. I do plan on going level 6 for greater favored enemy, but I'd like to postpone that until I get 3rd level spells, so after level 10. (If we get there...)

Since I'm already a force to reckoned with as a Longbow Sharpshooter Hunter, I'd like to go Druid the rest of the way for more spellcasting and Gishing. DM doesn't force the no metal restriction, so I'm aces there. But I wonder what Circle would be best? Thematically, Moon really fits the character I have in mind, a Ranger who worships the Nature Goddess of the Hunt, but I'm wondering if CR 1 creatures are going to be garbage at level 7. Even with Extra Attack on any forms without multiattack, and Colossus Slayer, and probably hunter's mark, I feel like the forms may not be worth the investment. I actually like Land Druid because I appreciate Natural Recovery, more cantrips, and some nice extra spells, and the only thing holding me back from that is how thematically appropriate Moon would be. It would be a fun moment for the character.

Shepherd Druid is out as DM isn't a fan of Conjure Spells/Minionmancy, And I plan on stashing my high level slots (that I don't have spells for) for upcasting Healing Word to keep my party on their feet so Dreams seems unnecessary. Spores would probably be pretty good, but most of the effects require melee range and I really just don't care the subclass for various reasons.

So, the tl;dr version is I'd like to go Ranger 6/Druid X. Would Moon Druid be a waste here, and if so which other Circle would be best?

nickl_2000
2019-05-16, 10:22 PM
Yes, Moon Druid would be a major waste as would spores since you are an archer. So, I would look at Land or Dreams It is hard to go wrong with Grassland with Haste and Invisibility. If extra healing would be helpful, dreams is the way to go.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-17, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I second land or dreams. Don’t discount the dreams’ healing, having some extra little bits of healing can be great for a top off or bringing someone up from zero, but land is a super solid choice as it helps with spells known and can net you some nifty stuff from the wizard list if you’re clever (I usually go arctic or mountain for that reason).

Land also gets more “meat” at lower Druid levels than dreams with natural recovery, so it’s probably the way to go when starting from a base of 5.

Edit: You should ask your dm what level this campaign will go to. As I recall, the shepherd druid’s auras are pretty nice (especially the hawk aura for giving advantage on sharpshooter attacks), so if you’re not getting to Druid level 6 when the minionmancy starts to kick in (or don’t mind just having a dead level there) it’s still something to consider.

CTurbo
2019-05-17, 02:08 AM
Grassland for Haste and Invisibility!

Degwerks
2019-05-17, 08:14 AM
I'm thinking about going a very similar way with my next character. I'll be starting at level 8 though. I'm going to be stuck with the role of party healer again, so I'm taking a level of Life Cleric, and choosing Shepherd Druid. This will allow me to get the most healing possible with less resources spent, I hope. Letting me focus on spending slots on Hail of Thorns for my Sharpshooter longbow attacks or Entangle or Faerie Fire or Bless or other support stuff.

Planning on variant human with Sharpshooter, and going Gloom Stalker 5, Life Cleric 1, Shepherd 14

Thinking about Faction Agent Emerald Enclave or Cloistered Scholar for backgrounds.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-05-17, 08:39 AM
I know you said you're using Revised Ranger - do you think there's any chance your DM would let you use the Primeval Guardian UA subclass? You get to turn into a tree that operates as a turret with your bow. And there's nothing more thematic for a druid than turning into a tree.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-17, 11:21 AM
For Land choices, Coast will grant you defenses, exploration and mobility, while Grasslands will improve your stealth and support abilities.

Mikaleus
2019-05-17, 05:47 PM
Does your Goddess of the Hunt worshipped in any particular areas?

I think thematically Land is a solid pick, especially Grasslands. The bonus spells should also compliment your ranger skills.